Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    "almost always better to sell it yourself..."

Couldn't agree more kfdmed. Most people who trade in say they don't like the hassle or liability of selling it themselves. But, there is very little in either.

I don't understand people who will nickel and dime a deal to the last penny...then take a 1,2 or 3k loss on their trade in(over what they could have gotten via private sale). But, most people on these boards seem to trade in. :confuse:
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,593
    for a lot of busy people,selling their own car is too much of a pain. Yes, you can often get more, but the PITA factor can negate this. In addition, there is risk involved.

In states like mine where there is a sales tax credit, that can make a big difference. Last week I had a guy who wanted 10,000 for his trade in. We appraised it for 9000.00 so he was simply going to sell it himself and "save" 1000.00.

When I pointed out he would be saving over 800.00 in sales tax if he traded it in, he quickly changed his mind.

Other times, I will suggest to my customers that they probably should try to sell their trade on their own. These are cars we don't want and I know the wholesalers don't want. Chrysler products are pretty high on that list.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    don't understand people who will nickel and dime a deal to the last penny...then take a 1,2 or 3k loss on their trade in(over what they could have gotten via private sale). But, most people on these boards seem to trade in.

I tried to sell my 2001 Caravan Se V6 50K miles for a month I offer it all the way down to 5500.00(average blue book) dollars. It didn't have alot of options so, the interest wasn't good. And my wife hated all the calls and no offers.I got fed up!! I traded it in for I think 4800.00. Guy was like 4000.00 is max I have 2 on the lot I can't sell. Gave him my bottom line price and said I was only going back with one car.
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    problem is, you are competing with avis, enteprise, dollar.. who dumps thousands of 1-2 yr old caravans every year back into the market.
    Yes, that's another reason. That even affects Camrys and Corollas. I hope Honda never starts selling to the rental co's.
  • All,

I am trying to buy a Grand Caravan SXT here in IN. I read from other messages on this forum that Dodge still has a $5000 rebate although when I go to dodge.com all that I see they are offering currently is $2,500 rebate and $1,000 for thru the end of November. I've been dealing with a sales person who is offering $22,500 for the van which he says is about $100 less than inventory cost (with the rebate). Of course I made an offer of $19,500 which they thought I was crazy. Maybe I am crazy.. but I know there is a mark up on new vehicles.

Can someone here point me exactly where I need to go, what site to get this $5,000 rebate that I'm sure they aren't going to tell me about? I'm looking at a base Grand Caravan SXT with Stow-n-Go with Power Adjustable Pedals and that's it. Any suggestions on what I can offer reasonably and get it from them. I am in no hurry to buy so I can play the game.

I appreciate any help anyone can give on this subject. Thank you!
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Yes...When friends try to trade Honda Accords in on a new Accord and are offered MUCH less than the "trade-in". :sick:
    One of my best friends is now driving a 2005 Toyota Camry because the Honda dealer would not give anything near "trade-in". That is after he had purchased 2 Honda Accords (a 2001 and the 2002 he got when the 2001 got totalled) from the same dealership.
    Everyone who has read in the Town Hall knows that Honda salesman are extremely biased in their postings. ;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    After trading a dozen cars with Neil Bonnett Honda (you can see their website if you like, its neilbonnetthonda.com) we have always been offered bluebook trade-in value on our cars. Sometimes it is "good", others, "excellent", depending on the condition of the car. We are the type of people who park way out in a parking lot to avoid door dings, and dont go to the car wash...hand wash only. Our salesman knows this, and knows we are gentle to our cars, and treats us accordingly.

When my father traded in his Chrysler Sebring Convertible, neil bonnett broke their record of giving us proper trade-in value. We were offered ( i believe ) 2500 less than the book said it was worth.

This is one experience, different from your own. Just like yours, hans. Different dealer, different folks, different customer.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Yes, there are exceptions. But, almost always (the key word being almost) it will be better to sell it yourself.
    Your situation wasn't to bad. Say you suffer thru it a couple more weeks and get around 5k...that's only a couple hundred dollars or so you wouldn't be getting from the dealer to take your headache away....err trade in.

I had an old 94 Buick Century Wagon...dealership offered $1,300. No way. A few aggravateing moments when people who made an apt. to come look at it didn't show up. But, all in all it wasn't much problem at all and I sold it for $1,900.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    I am trying to buy a Grand Caravan SXT here in IN. I read from other messages on this forum that Dodge still has a $5000 rebate although when I go to dodge.com all that I see they are offering currently is $2,500 rebate and $1,000 for thru the end of November. I've been dealing with a sales person who is offering $22,500 for the van which he says is about $100 less than inventory cost (with the rebate). Of course I made an offer of $19,500 which they thought I was crazy. Maybe I am crazy.. but I know there is a mark up on new vehicles.

Ok I've also been told many times that you can go on the Dodge site and get EP+ on any 2006 DCX van. Well all I see is the 2500.00 dollar rebate I haven;t got any help when I asked if EP was discontinues for 2006! Maybe cause I posted in the Dodge prices paid and buying experience. That said, I like to help when I can so if your heart is set of a Dodge GC SXT here are the prices to start with Edmunds TMV=$23,992 and carsdirect= $24,587 The in voice on that van is $25,691 minus the $2500 rebate makes it 23,191. So your gettting the van for 700.00 less than invoice then the rebate. Sounds pretty SWEET(sorry I still get the Dodge magizine)to me!! Now if it's a 2005 leftover still sounds pretty good. But if you think your crazy you should hang out on this forum for about a week.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    All,

Can someone here point me exactly where I need to go, what site to get this $5,000 rebate that I'm sure they aren't going to tell me about? I'm looking at a base Grand Caravan SXT with Stow-n-Go with Power Adjustable Pedals and that's it. Any suggestions on what I can offer reasonably and get it from them. I am in no hurry to buy so I can play the game.

I appreciate any help anyone can give on this subject. Thank you!

I'm currently at the Dodge.com website.....go to Caravan section and click on BUILD & PRICE. As of this am, there is a $2500 Cash Rebate AND $3039 Employee Discount if you finance. This would bring price to $22,486 before taxes for DCX DGC SXT w/adjust pedals.

If you lease, you can get an additional $1000 "loyalty Cash Rebate" (I guesss only if you have a Dodge currently, but I didn't bother to check details for you :) Towards the end of the year you might get cash back from year end. I wouldn't accept the $5539 as best you can do. Dealers also have leeway with pricing so shop around some
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I'm currently at the Dodge.com website.....go to Caravan section and click on BUILD & PRICE. As of this am, there is a $2500 Cash Rebate AND $3039 Employee Discount if you finance. This would bring price to $22,486 before taxes for DCX DGC SXT w/adjust pedals.

I'm wondering if this is zip code specific??? I use 48326 to config one! Hmmmm....
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    DCX van incentives for November 2005:

2005 $3000 rebate
    2006 $2500 rebate

$1000 bonus cash for either year
    $1000 lease loyalty for either year if you currently are leasing any DCX product and lease this DCX van. You do not have to turn in the other DCX vehicle to claim this.

DCX employees have 2 of their employee prices to give out to anyone, called employee choice. Find one of those emplyees like Dennice did a year ago and you save $3k off a base DGC SXT, and you get the $3.5k in rebates on an 06. Also, many dealers in Detroit are selling for $1-2k below the employee price, so there is room to give. I saw an ad in yesterday's newspaper with for a 2006 T&C Touring for $19,500. I haven't seen any Dodge ads for minivans this month. I'm sure Sunday's paper will be interesting.
  • Okay.. I appreciate everything each of you has added. You guys are good, real good.

So it sounds like if I want the other $3,039 in rebates... total of $5539 I need to finance thru Dodge. Do I have to do this thru the website or can I do that at the dealer? What happens if I finance thru Dodge/Dealer and then pay it off as soon as I get my first bill. I mean I am wanting to pay this off in full, but I'm not going to tell them that. Will they honor that or do they care?

Okay.. who's Deniece (ha ha) and how can I find someone who will give me one of their employee discounts.. anyone know of anyone or a website where I can find someone?

Here's an update on last nights adventure to a different dealer. Funny, they dropped that 22,500 figure to 22,000 for invoice.. an automatic $500 drop in price. Plus in KY (across the river) I don't have to pay Tire taxes from IN which is another $80 than if I bought it here in IN. Crazy..

So let me recap, if dealer is offering 22,000 which already includes the $2,500 in rebates and destination fee, if I deduct $3039 from that for financing thru them it's $18,961 not including State taxes. Correct? Then if I can find some employee to give me one of their 2 employee discounts it's an extra $3,000 off of that. Sound right?

Thanks again for all your help.. I'll try to check back on this on Monday morning.
  • Just got off the phone with the dealer I've been working with in KY.. he said the refiance of the $3,039 thru dodge is not still happening. That is unless I have to do it thru Dodge/Chrysler?

But the $3K employee discount is a great deal if I can find someone to give me one of their 2 vouchers. Lucky me.. who would be so nice. :)
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Dodge salesman told me during the summer that you must make 4 monthly payments before you can pay off the loan through DaimlerChrysler with no penalty.
    You can also finance just a portion of the total to get the financing discount. ;) Ask your friendly Dodge dealer for more details.
    That Chrysler has to keep offering these rebates in order for their product to sell. Once a company starts this, they can never stop.

Of course, the MSRPS are inflated in order for this to happen. No free lunches out there.

The domestics have created a monster that they now have to live with.
  • I did but the employee discounts are no longer happening since Oct 3rd, 2005. So unless someone else knows where I can get this finance from (other than thru the dealer) I'm thinking I can't get it.

He did tell me you had to make 4 payments which is cool but he didn't say you only have to finance a portion.. that's nice to know. The lower I finance, the better incase they charge me interest on it for those 4 months which I'm sure they do.
  • You are correct.. why list a car for 33K and then sell it for 22K, no rhyme or reason there. No wonder customers don't trust dealers.

They have created a monster but they probably sold alot of vehicles they wouldn't have had they not done it. Thing is I haven't bought a new car in 8 years, this being my 2nd ever and I have to do all of this work just to protect myself from being robbed. That's sad.. Really it's sad that people can't post an honest prices and the customer pay it.
  • So go to dodge.com and do it there? Then how does the dealer deal with that since they say it's not going on?
This discussion has been closed.