Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Another feature of "dubious value? To many of us?

This appears as a thinly vailed attempt to isolate those who appreciate and want the automatic door lock feature as someone outside the norm. However, this statement coming from a Honda salesperson is no surprise. If your product doesn't offer it, offend it and the desire to want it!

To many women this is not a "dubious" feature. Locking all four doors from the drivers seat is a inconvenience and safety concern that many people think is worth the auto lock feature, arrogant assertion or not.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    Well, since we now know that a power liftgate is "prissy," I guess we can make the assumption that there's an element of masculine insecurity in the decision to buy a Honda.

In the meantime it appears that in the latest issue of Consumers' Reports Car Buyer's Guide the Honda Ody's transmissions are not much better than the Chrysler's!
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Well, since we now know that a power liftgate is "prissy," I guess we can make the assumption that there's an element of masculine insecurity in the decision to buy a Honda.

No I'm saying I can get my hands dirty. I'm not prissy. Go ahead and search that word in this forum. It never bothered you before when someone else said it to describe a honda product!! So please stop the smearing it is just all too common!

In the meantime it appears that in the latest issue of Consumers' Reports Car Buyer's Guide the Honda Ody's transmissions are not much better than the Chrysler's!

Now you love CR I see how you are LOL!!! You certainly don't read your own posts! And I bet they are very close in reliability. Now in smoothness and shifting with no whining noise the Honda is way better than the 41TE. I should know I've owned both. ;)
    This appears as a thinly vailed attempt to isolate those who appreciate and want the automatic door lock feature as someone outside the norm. However, this statement coming from a Honda salesperson is no surprise. If your product doesn't offer it, offend it and the desire to want it!

I've heard the same comments made about VSC and standard side airbags and headrests/3 point belts at all positions. Seems we have a one way street here. If I say any feature the DCX van dosen't have is good I'm unreasonable. Yet if I don't think something has value that the DCX van has I'm arrogant. Not really ,just pointing out why I bought the van. I don't pretend to be anything but a Odyssey advocate!I get all these people saying you only tell one side of the story! I looked and made my choice! People that come in here are making there own. And whatever they make is fine with me. :P

To many women this is not a "dubious" feature. Locking all four doors from the drivers seat is a inconvenience and safety concern that many people think is worth the auto lock feature, arrogant assertion or not.

Many may but many may not want it. Just state it is there for this forum and let other decide! What's the big deal, what his opinion is??
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Ok, I admit it......I'm prissy!!!!

When I first got autolocking doors, I thought of it as more government intrusion into my life. But driving around Detroit, in some of the seedy areas (90% of Detroit :) I love it!

Same thing with power hatch. When you're at Sam's, it's -10 below, your van is caked with weeks of road salt and grime, the very last thing anyone wants to do is get their hands filthy or cold (taking gloves off).

Here's a joke: How can you tell when a Salesman is lying? When his lips move!!!!! :)
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I've never figured out why everyone uses their hands on the outside of the hatches anyway. Every van/suv I've owned has a handle on the inside used to shut the hatch. Even my wife can shut the door this way. Granted a power hatch would be a nice option, I'm not going to discount it. As I've said a million times....I would have bought the Touring Ody in a flash if Honda offered it with the 8th seat.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    But you can't OPEN the hatch with the inside handle!!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,348
    Dustyk,

Forget the fact I sell Hondas if you are able.

If I want my doors locked when I'm driving (I don't) it's an easy matter to simply push a button. I don't want the car to decide my doors should be locked!

Is it really THAT "inconvenient" for you to take a hslf second to push a button?

My non arrogant point being...what is a big deal to some people is an unwanted feature to others!
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    the power hatch is one of the options I think will get more popular, as well as the power folding 3rd row in the explorer.

dc, honda and yota should have these options on their next redesign
    My non arrogant point being...what is a big deal to some people is an unwanted feature to others

And also a safety concern so far no one was able to answer: will it unlock after a crash?
    The systems have no way of knowing the car has been in a crash and to unlock the doors.

That isn't the big reason I don't like auto locking doors although it is something to think about.

I just find them intrusive and annoying. If I'm driving through a bad neighboorhood at night, I have no trouble hitting the lock button.

How big of a deal is that?
    When you're at Sam's, it's -10 below, your van is caked with weeks of road salt and grime, the very last thing anyone wants to do is get their hands filthy or cold (taking gloves off).

Hey I got something like that going on in So. Cal. When it's 58 degrees with the wind chill. Oh I guess it's not the same LOL. ;)
    You haven't escaped So. Calif yet?? ;)
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I just find them intrusive and annoying. If I'm driving through a bad neighboorhood at night, I have no trouble hitting the lock button.

Which for the millionth time is why you can turn them off if you don't want them. However, those of us with EXL-R&N's don't have the luxury of turning them on because Honda thinks econo-car features should only come on their high-end Ody. I notice the Civic has these features now....too bad my $31,000 can't buy such luxuries. The auto-locking doors and auto headlamps are two features that get my goat enough to say I'm not 100% satisfied with Honda. I still like the Ody over the competition, but it's an annoyance that effects me everytime I drive it. Mainly because it wouldn't have cost two cents to include these features as standard equipment.

I still say a knowlegeable Honda tech should be able to turn the auto-locks on with BCM software. Haven't run into one that is knowlegeable though.
    O.K...I don't disagree with you. I think auto locks should be on the cars so pwople can decide if they want them turned on or not.

I just can't for the life of me, see why a simple act of pushing down a button should be SUCH an annoyance.

Same with the headlights. It takes a twist of a knob and they are on.

But...that's me...we are all different.
    I don't know why anyone would let their car cake with WEEKS of road salt. I wouldn't even do that to my old (R.I.P.) accord.

I heard it's quite difficult to file claims against the corrosion warranty :P
    uh oh, you can leave the headlights switch on the ody to the "on" position and it will turn itself on when you unlock the car and off when you lock it.

as a honda salesperson I think isell should donate 5bps on every deal for the rest of the month to charity for not being able to point out this feature.
    I knew that. That feature isn't on ALL Hondas however.
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    Couple points:

We could have 10 sunny days from December-March in the midwest. It could snow a little every other day for a month. Why spend $8 on a car wash if it will get dirty tomorrow? If a large snowstorm comes, the melting can take weeks, all the while puddles accumulate around town.

If the temperature never rises above around 25*F, the salt is doing no damage to your vehicle. Heated garages can do damage.
    I always have this dilenma when going to the car wash in winter: hey, it's gonna get dirty in a couple of hours anyways, why bother?

1) I have no idea when the temp will rise above 25 degrees, especially when it is sunny. So leaving caked salt in the muffler/B pipes area (which is definitely warmer than 25 degrees most of the time)is not really what i am looking forward to.

2)$8 every other week is not a whole lot compare to replacing rusted out mufflers and B pipes.

3) No matter how cold it is, there is always bird poop. And those can't stick to the paint for a long period of time.

But again, to each of their own.
This discussion has been closed.