Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    $8k off MSRP for RAM's is okay for now, but waiting until spring will save even more, assuming they continue the employee choice program past December 31st, 2005. I'd target $11k off minimum. This past September I saw $14k off 2005 models.

BTW, I prefer cash deals. I get great rates from my credit union (currently 4.49% up to 5yr). I've always been ahead by taking cash rebates instead of MFR's "low interest rates," even zero percent financing. Cash deal does not mean one needs to have cash in the bank.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    I'm really confused here now....I thought nobody would see more than a few thousand dollars difference between and Ody and GC?

It is unless your friend/wife brother works for DCX.

How many millions of times have I seen postings from Honda buyers traveling all over the country to buy one? or sending out 100s of emails looking for a deal?? I lost count!!!

How few people post anything about there DCX van purchase? Seems that ethier they are ashamed of there deals or they just don't post. dennisctc posted almost half of the last 10 posts there! And how long ago did you buy your car??
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Purchasers of DC minivans usually do not pay MSRP or above and are very satisfied with their purchase. They do not search the internet to see if they can get a nice discount. Many DC minivan owners are repeat buyers and are completely satisfied with their purchase.
    I posted the price I paid for my used 2002 Chrysler T&C LX after I purchased it almost 18 months ago. ;)
    My friend did NOT purchase an Odyssey 2 months ago after considering the Odd EX, GC SXT, and Sienna LE. He purchased a new 2006 Sienna LE because the dealer had the exact vehicle in stock and gave a nice discount. He did not like Odd dealer's policy of placing a $ 500 NON-Refundable deposit to get on the waiting list for a 2006 Odd EX with a paltry $ 789 discount.
    If I were purchasing at this time, I would get a 2006 GC SXT and the Odd EX would be 3rd choice after Sienna LE.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    It is unless your friend/wife brother works for DCX.

Even if you factor out EP pricing, this dealer is still about $6k-$7k less than an Ody.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    Reply to:
    Even if you factor out EP pricing, this dealer is still about $6k-$7k less than an Ody.

And that is probably about what it is worth. You are getting a cheaper van for less money. That is what should happen. But according to DC, GM and Ford, you are really saving a whole bunch of money. Who knows how many million dollars off the MSRP. According to the big three MSRPs their vans are worth as much or more than Honda and Toyota. Who are they trying to fool?
    about $6k-$7k less than an OdyEven if you factor out EP pricing, this dealer is still .

Thats if you don't try and equip it with the same kind of stuff! Even hans says 3800.00 and he's no pro honda guy! You have no idea beacause you got a INSIDERS deal and there is no traffic on the DCX prices paid board Expect for you. So you should try the TMV or some other buying page. ENJOY!!!!
    You have no idea beacause you got a INSIDERS deal and there is no traffic on the DCX prices paid board

How many people actually buy via a car buying website...not too many. Especially when most are so outdated i.e...changing rebates, dealer incentives etc... Most just make buyers who don't negotiate feel good getting their vehicle at TMV etc...

Didn't you once say EP was only $3k? Yet this dealer is offering $10k off. My EP discount was $3900. So it's logical to assume someone else should be able to get $6k - $7k off from a dealer.

You may want to check out the DCX prices paid board - there have been a few others getting great deals, who didn't get "insider" deal.

Lets all kneel to HANS, keeper of all auto pricing knowledge! Or maybe Carsdirect.com, or TMV pricing....any board or site that makes Honda not seem so over priced.
    GC SXT MSRP $ 27,830
    Odd EX MSRP $ 28,945
    Each has power sliding doors both sides, each has 8 way power driver's seat, each has 60/40 split fold-into-the-floor 3rd row seating, each has cast wheels, each has PS, PB, 4 wheel disc ABS, Power heated windows, Power Door locks, 3 zone temperature control, rear A/C and rear heater,....and the list goes on.

The Odd EX has a few extra items while the GC SXT has other extra items. When the real world "Actual Price" in my area is $28,205 for the Odd EX and $24,400 for the GC SXT, my choice is the GC SXT. If I could save an additional $ 3,4, 5, or 6K more as dennis has done, the GC SXT becomes an even better choice. ;)

If I let CR do my thinking, I would buy the Odd EX and make my savings account $ 4,056 lighter ($ 3,805 difference in actual price + the additional 6.6 % sales tax on $ 3,805). :shades:
    Didn't you once say EP was only $3k? Yet this dealer is offering $10k off. My EP discount was $3900. So it's logical to assume someone else should be able to get $6k - $7k off from a dealer.

3K off For the setup you bought said so on the Dodge website(maybe they don't know what they're doing?). All cars with different options have different EP pricing makes sense RIGHT?? Not logicial at all it's a a AD to get people in the door(why do you think the DCX employee thing was so SMALL!!). Once your there they try to get you to pay as close to sticker as they can. While I was doing my deal at Cerritos Dodge one of the saleman came in and said what can we sell a Intrepid with these options for?? The sales manager said I'll come over to you next! The saleman said oh it's a call in. So the manager said don't talk price sell the appointment and not the price. I was floored but saleman are saleman!

You may want to check out the DCX prices paid board - there have been a few others getting great deals, who didn't get "insider" deal.

Just looked nothing in months unless your post from yesterday counts. Oh that only for DCX employees and probably 1 at this price! ;)

Lets all kneel to HANS, keeper of all auto pricing knowledge! Or maybe Carsdirect.com, or TMV pricing....any board or site that makes Honda not seem so over priced.

Honda's not overpriced for me, maybe you!! As for Hans way better than your one year old inside deal as the golden standard!!
    the Honda's would not be overpriced. :shades:
    3K off For the setup you bought said so on the Dodge website(maybe they don't know what they're doing?). All cars with different options have different EP pricing makes sense RIGHT?? Not logicial at all it's a a AD to get people in the door(why do you think the DCX employee thing was so SMALL!!). Once your there they try to get you to pay as close to sticker as they can. While I was doing my deal at Cerritos Dodge one of the saleman came in and said what can we sell a Intrepid with these options for?? The sales manager said I'll come over to you next! The saleman said oh it's a call in. So the manager said don't talk price sell the appointment and not the price. I was floored but saleman are saleman!

I won't quibble with what the EP is now vs. when I got it a year ago. Let's just use your $3000. So this one dealer, at least is willing to knock off almost $7000. Doesn't appear my one year old deal is much of a golden standard, since others can get close to it.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I think some of the confusion on EP is from what was published during the "everyone gets EP price days" which wasn't really as great of a deal as normal EP pricing. The rebates were different, and the EP pricing was not at the full EP level. There are different levels of EP pricing based on who the employee works for (supplier, DC, DC subsidiary, etc.). This is the real website for DC employee pricing https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/employeeadvantage/login.jsp

During the "sale" you could get pricing off the DC websites when you built a car, but the discount was not nearly at normal employee level. That being said, it still appears the numbers posted above are very very low, and there are probably some additional catches or rebates that aren't available to the general public. From what I can tell there's about $4,000-$5,000 difference between equal DC and Honda minivans. Which is more than when I was shopping. Equally equipped, I could only come up with about a $3500 difference back in April '05.

VSC alone could account for a decent chunk of that difference. Automotive news reported awhile back that stability control adds about $400 to the manufacturers cost, so figure $600-$800 to the consumer. The Honda also has a far more advanced navigation system. I imagine if the DC mininvans had the higher-end features, the price difference wouldn't be as great.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    The Odd EX has a few extra items while the GC SXT has other extra items.

I don't think stability control and head curtain airbags qualify as a "few extra items". Most safety experts will tell you that electronic stability control is as essential as airbags. What about three row head curtain airbags? The Odyssey is the only minivan to have them with a rollover sensor as standard. They are an option on DCX vans.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    "I don't think stability control and head curtain airbags qualify as a "few extra items".

Sure they do. One(stability control)....two(side curtain airbags). Two items...thats a "few".
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    quite costly extra items though.

And who is not paying close to invoice on an ody ex? Go to the ody price paid discussion, people are paying $26k plus or minus a couple hundred for ex. And what is the SXT price IF it is equipped close to the ody ex?
    During the Employee pricing for all promotion, the EP price was indeed the exact same price employees used to and still get. DCX just lowered the rebates during that promotion on every vehicle such that real employees were paying more ($1000-3000). Everyone else was was getting a similar price to invoice - old rebates with no haggling.

EP discount is close to $3k on a $28k DCX minivan. Every option has a different EP price, so $3500, $3900 is possible. That's still before any rebates/dealer discounts.

The 2006 DGC Special Edition (no options) has a $3569 EP discount, minus rebates.
    DGC SXT w/ the 6-disc CD changer and side curtain airbags has an MSRP of $28,635 compared to the Odyssey's $28,945 MSRP. That's as close as you can get the two configured as far as equipment goes. There are still some exclusive features to each one.
    Standard on GC SXT...NOT available even as an option on Odd EX. ;)
    Many people like Stow 'N Go which is standard on GC SXT and NOT available on Odd EX.
    I remember all the bragging about the "Magic Seat" when it was an Odd exclusive. Fold into the floor 2nd row seating is just as significant for many people as is 60/40 split 3rd row introduced by the Sienna.
    Power Liftgate is optional on the GC SXT for $ 400 but NOT available on the Odd EX.

If I wanted to drive most aggressively, the Odd VSC, Most powerful engine and side curtain airbags would be important even though these items are not important to me and most people who are defensive drivers. :blush:
    Offer a GC LE positioned between the GC SE and GC SXT. Include the nicer SXT interior but delete the 2 power sliding doors, cast wheels, power driver's seat, 2nd row fold-into-the-floor seat, lighted visor vanity mirrors, and use the 3.3L V6. Price it $2,000 to $3,000 less than the GC SXT. ;)
    The GC SE now looks too cheap inside for me to seriously consider. As it now is, the GC SE costs MORE than the GC SXT if many of the extras on the GC SXT are added to the GC SXT...and the 3.8L V6, cast wheels, power rear vent windows, etc. are not included and are not even optional. :confuse:
  • fljoslinfljoslin Posts: 237
    Re:
    Offer a GC LE positioned between the GC SE and GC SXT. Include the nicer SXT interior but delete the 2 power sliding doors, cast wheels, power driver's seat, 2nd row fold-into-the-floor seat, lighted visor vanity mirrors, and use the 3.3L V6. Price it $2,000 to $3,000 less than the GC SXT.
    The GC SE now looks too cheap inside for me to seriously consider. As it now is, the GC SE costs MORE than the GC SXT if many of the extras on the GC SXT are added to the GC SXT...and the 3.8L V6, cast wheels, power rear vent windows, etc. are not included and are not even optional.

I have no idea what you just said in this post. I feel that the list of options and getting what you want is too confusing and not worth the aggravation. I cannot easily figure out what I want, let alone get different prices from different dealers for that vehicle or other similar ones. This is part of the reason that I chose to buy a 2006 Odyssey EX-L. I knew that I wanted an EX or above and was not going to pay for a Touring. I really wanted the leather seating and the VCM; the sun roof is a nice option. Once I had made that decision, all that I had to do was find an EX-L period. I did not even care about the color. The long options list available on DC and Toyota would be nice if you could order exactly what you wanted and there was no price compromise. I do not believe that is reasonably possible. You must choose from option packages that the dealers WANT to sell and then try to figure out what each different one is worth to you.
This discussion has been closed.