Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• 4aodge4aodge Posts: 288
    hey there, we have a 2000 Town & Country LX with 36k miles that we absolutely love. We were lucky enough to get the 16 inch chrome wheels on our LX as a "dealership option" when we bought it in September of 2000. As for pricing, you can get a much better deal on a 2002 (and especially a 2001, if you can find one) Town & Country LX than you could on any Odyssey, even the lowly LX model. If you are a good at dealing down the price you can get a Town & Country for thousands less than MSRP.

Also, Chrysler is still offering its 100,000 mile warranty if you have any concerns about the long-term reliability of a Town & Country...

-Adam
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    According to CR Ody reliability is below average, yet dealers still ask above MSRP or add their own options to accomplish the same thing. At least with the DC van the repairs won't empty my bank account like the Honda repairs. How anyone can purchase an Ody above MSRP and then pay for an extended warranty brings their sanity into question IMO.
  • calgcalg Posts: 53
    CR reliability was below average ONLY on the 99's... mostly due to sliding door issues. Also, it was the first model year of a totally redesigned Odyssey... there are bound to be kinks to be worked out and Honda has addressed many of them. How long did it take Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge to address/admit their issues?!?!? We paid below MSRP for our 2001 ODY EX and are looking forward to the FANTASTIC resale value Ody's have when it is time to buy a new one.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    pluto5, kind of reminds me of a cartoon, I wonder...........
    for the second year in a row, according to MotorWeek.

http://carpoint.msn.com/browse/win_4020964.asp

-Adam

That can't be right, Motorweek is against the Odyssey and always favor American cars, and anyone of the other cry baby excuses we Odyssey owners had to put up with when Odyssey was getting all the awards.
  • also has the Lexus 430 the Best Sedan. Do people still want to argue about Chrysler the best minivan?
    It appears Chrysler minivans come away with some awards, just as the Odyssey and other models have. However, when it comes to biased reviews of DC minivans from so called "honest" publications such as Edmunds, it's only right to challenge as well as question their verdict of what truly is "the best minivan." After putting up with Edmunds biased and innacurate reviews of DC products, I don't put much faith in anything they say anymore...
    Just remember that it wasn't just Edmunds who said the Odyssey was the best, almost every magazine that road tested cars said the Odyssey was the best. They ALL can't be wrong. I was just throwing a little back at all the DC people who complained that they thought ALL the magazines were wrong and DC was the best. Just thought I would try the same to see what happens. Caught ya, didn't I?
  • And the award for the most gas guzzling minivan goes to the Kia Sedona which has less room and less power than either the Honda Odyssey 3.5L or a DC minivan with the 3.8L engine.
    dmathews, I was never one of the people who doubted the credability of the publications that have ranked the Odyssey as the best minivan on the market. However, I did make it quite clear that the Odyssey did not win all of the awards and even the ones that it did win, we're won by a very narrow margin. After reading some of the reviews out there you would think a minivan doesnt even deserve to be called a minivan if it lacks the amazing "Magic Seat."

Anyway, you say that all of these publications can't be wrong with saying the Odyssey is the best van. I dont know, maybe your right. But I do know that 22k people last month thought the Dodge Caravan was a better mininvan for them than did the mere 10k or so that chose to buy an Odyssey. It only goes to show you that what the reviewers such as Car and Driver and so forth think as the best vehicle in any given class might be looked upon differently by the consumers who actually go out and spend money on what they like the best. And as far as minivans go, the Odyssey is clearly not the most popular choice, despite the rave reviews its recieved in its relatively short history.

BTW, my neighbor just bought a 2002 Town & Country eL in Inferno Red paint. Hmmmmm, I wonder why in earth anyone would choose a CHRYSLER minivan over a Honda? I could go down the list but I dont have time right now...

I don't think you've "cought" me just yet, dmathews3...

-Adam
    dmathews, I was never one of the people who doubted the credability of the publications that have ranked the Odyssey as the best minivan on the market. However, I did make it quite clear that the Odyssey did not win all of the awards and even the ones that it did win, we're won by a very narrow margin. After reading some of the reviews out there you would think a minivan doesnt even deserve to be called a minivan if it lacks the amazing "Magic Seat."

Anyway, you say that all of these publications can't be wrong with saying the Odyssey is the best van. I dont know, maybe your right. But I do know that 22k people last month thought the Dodge Caravan was a better mininvan for them than did the mere 10k or so that chose to buy an Odyssey. It only goes to show you that what the reviewers such as Car and Driver and so forth think as the best vehicle in any given class might be looked upon in the same light by the consumers who actually go out and spend money on what they like the best.

And as far as minivans go, the Odyssey is clearly not the most popular choice, despite the rave reviews its recieved in its relatively short history. BTW, my neighbor just bought a 2002 Town & Country eL in Inferno Red paint. Hmmmmm, I wonder why in earth anyone would choose a CHRYSLER minivan over a Honda? I could go down the list but I dont have time right now...

I don't think you've cought me just yet, dmathews3...

-Adam
    dmathews, I never doubted the credability of the publications that have ranked the Odyssey as the best minivan on the market. However, I did make it quite clear that the Odyssey did not win all of the awards and even the ones that it did win, we're won by a very narrow margin. After reading some of the reviews out there you would think a minivan doesnt even deserve to be called a minivan if it lacks the amazing "Magic Seat."

Anyway, you say that all of these publications can't be wrong with saying the Odyssey is the best van. I dont know, maybe your right. But I do know that 22k people last month thought the Dodge Caravan was a better mininvan for them than did the mere 10k or so that chose to buy an Odyssey. It only goes to show you that what the reviewers such as Car and Driver and so forth think as the best vehicle in any given class might not be looked upon in the same light by the consumers who actually go out and spend money on what they like the best.

And as far as minivans go, the Odyssey is clearly not the most popular choice, despite the rave reviews its recieved in its relatively short history. BTW, my neighbor just bought a 2002 Town & Country eL in Inferno Red paint. Hmmmmm, I wonder why on earth anyone would choose a CHRYSLER minivan over a Honda? I could go down the list but I dont have time right now...

-Adam

Anyway, you say that all of these publications can't be wrong with saying the Odyssey is the best van. I dont know, maybe your right. But I do know that 22k people last month thought the Dodge Caravan was a better mininvan for them than did the mere 10k or so that chose to buy an Odyssey. It only goes to show you that what the reviewers such as Car and Driver and so forth think as the best vehicle in any given class might not be looked upon in the same light by the consumers who actually go out and spend money on what they like the best.

And as far as minivans go, the Odyssey is clearly not the most popular choice, despite the rave reviews its recieved in its relatively short history. BTW, my neighbor just bought a 2002 Town & Country eL in Inferno Red paint. Hmmmmm, I wonder why on earth anyone would choose a CHRYSLER minivan over a Honda? I could go down the list but I dont have time right now...

-Adam
    I don't know, but I must have caught ya as you had to post your answer at least 4 times, or you were so mad that your hand was shaking so bad you hit the post button 4 times:-)))
    I was so mad? Yea right.The Odyssey owners are the touchy ones here. They just can't seem to understand why anyone would by an inferior product over world's best boxy, boaring, bland minivan...AKA the Honda Odyssey...
    They just can't seem to understand why anyone would by an inferior product over world's best boxy, boaring, bland minivan...AKA the Honda Odyssey...
    Only reason I can think of is that DC mechanics are very nice guys and DC owners don't get to meet very many people so buying a DC van they know that they will meet all kinds of people when they keep going back to their dealers.
    I wonder how many nice, friendly mechanics this Honda Odyssey owner met when returning to his dealership, time, after time, after time...???

#1622 of 1643  99 Ody Lx -Slipping transmission by chunkasmom  Feb 09, 2002 (06:39 pm)

I got my van used from a dealer in Nov of '01. Come December the transmission started slipping on cold mornings. It really has to warm up a good 7 minutes before it stops. Has anyone had this problem? I also jave the sticking doors problem and the noisy brakes. I gotta say, I thought this was supposed to be the best van out there. So far, I'm not that happy.

Can you gues, dmathews3?
  • I am about to order a 2002 DGC ES 2WD. I have studied the market of minivans closely. My top 2 choices were the Ody and the DGC.
    This will be our second van. Our first was a 93 DGC LE that we bought new and has 160k miles. We love our 93. It is now leaking transmission fluid from the seals that have presumably dried out after 9 years. We had indended to repair the leaks. Replacing the seals would run about $350. However the concensus of the repair shops is that I should not waste my money replacing the seals because my tranny is the original and could very well fail soon after the seals are replaced. They recomend a complete overhaul to the tune of $1200. (Dealer estimates are $2000.) The 3 shops I asked for estimates were shocked that I still had the original tranny. Our van has trucked our 3 children and many others in a mix of mostly around town miles and some highway. My wife is the primary driver and she tends to speed up quickly. I know many people who own DGCs and several have had their trannys replaced or rebuilt. Every one of them did not have their trannys serviced (i.e. fluid changed). We have changed the fluid every 30k miles. I believe this was the key to making it last so long. But I digress. Sorry.
    We were planning on buying a new van in the near future and the mechanics advised us not bother repairing our 93 DGC. Sooo, we looked at the Ody and DGC. Our first observation was that the DGC has drastically improved their product from an ergonomics point of view as well as the ride. It is quite smooth and amazingly quiet. Both the Ody and the DGC are comfortable and handle well. The Ody folding rear seat into the floor does not impress me. You have to remove the headrests(3) in order to fold the seat. There is no place to store the headrests. Minor yes, but they could have designed a pocket into the wall for them. The DGC rear seat is a split. Although it does not fold into the floor you can remove just one half instead of both. Also each half has independant reclining seat backs. The Ody power doors are way to heavy to operate manually.
    The most striking observation is the lack of styling in the Ody. It is very bland. In particular the exterior and the dashboard. Also the seats are more comfortable in the DGC.
    I must admit that we seem to like th DGC more. You could say that we are partial due to our 9 years in our 93 DGC. The 2002 DGC is almost entirely different than our 93. But there are feature that make the DGC give us a more "familiar" feel than the Ody. The Ody was on our consideration list because of Honda's reputution for quality. Although we might have a few more problems with the DGC than the Ody, both vehicles are very well built.
    The final, and not insignificant, factor was price. We have studied the Ody and DGC for a couple of months. Until recently comperably equiped DGC was more than and Ody by $2000-3000. Not anymore. DGC now has a $3000. rebate and 7/100k powertrain warrany.
    For us the DGC is the winner.
    This is from hoss02 and message 4286 on the Honda Odyssey board.
    I can understand where The Money Magazine (Is that "Money" magazine or a different periodical?) is coming from. That's why in late '98 I leased a '99 Grand Caravan. The new Odysseys were first hitting dealers and were hard to get and had pretty big premiums over list.
    Three years, 40,000 miles and eight major problems later, I was very happy to turn it in. Market prices on my '99 are around $12,000. '99 Odyssey LX around $18,000. So what's really the better value? D-C has sold millions of minivans, so millions of people can't be wrong, right? People buy a lot of cigarettes, too.
    Maybe these two can just trade vans.
    I certainly would not want to trade in our flawless 2000 Town & Country for this Honda Odyssey (or any other Odyssey for that matter)...

#1628 of 1643  Transmission and brake problems by dj5  Feb 11, 2002 (12:50 pm)

My wife bought a 2001 SS EX Odyssey in January 2001. She now has 19,000 miles. Last week she had to replace the front brake pads. Understand that the Odyssey goes through brake pads so was not too concerned. Now yesterday it started to hesitate, the wife took it into the dealership and they said that they need to replace the transmission (under warranty). They said it would take two days but they would give her a loaner. If problems continue, I will trade for a 2004 when they change body styles.

Looks like "the jury is still out" on Honda Odyssey build quality. Even die-hard Honda fans would not be honest with themselves if they said the Odyssey quality and reliability has lived up to the Honda name. After all, this isn't a first model year 1999 vehicle but a much newer 2001 with ONLY 19k miles.
  • ...and my Ferrari is better than your Lamborghini
  • As an owner of our 2nd DC minivan, I would like to see DC copy these features of the Odyssey:
    #1. Clever 2nd row seating that can be either a bench or captain's chairs that has the ability to slide forward or rearward.
    #2. The "Magic Seat" with the ease of additional space.
    #3. The LARGE space behind 3rd row seat that is double that of any minivan except Astro/Safari.
    #4. A large, powerful engine in EVERY minivan. The DC 3.8L is in my opinion equal to the very nice Ody 3.5L since it has MORE Torque at lower RPM than Ody 3.5L although the Ody has 25 MORE HP than DC 3.8L.
  • In like manner, DC minivans have some superior features over the Odyssey. I would like to see Honda copy these features of DC minivans:
    #1. Separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger.
    #2. Heating coils at base of windshield to melt ice and snow.
    #3. Complete overhead console with outside temperature/compass/trip computer.
    #4. Available built in child safety seat.
    An ODD-Caravan?
    On a magic seat in the DC vans it's my opinion that they can't do it cheaply as long as they build them to have AWD.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hmmm,

Options that DC should copy...

1) Ditto
    2) DC would lose the ability to build AWD vans, MANY folks around here (Northern NJ) feel the need for AWD
    3) Maybe, our GC has been more than adequate
    4) At least offer the 3.8 as an option on the lesser vans, by the way, the extra HP of the Honda engine is sort of irrelevant, it is the torque that really matters.

Options that Honda should copy…

1) Ditto
    2) Ditto
    3) Kind of nice, but not REALLY necessary
    4) Ditto

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • But, after driving my sister, brother-in-law, and their neighbor couple to the airport in their 2001 Odyssey EX with ALL the luggage for 2 week vacation, I see where that HUGE volume is useful.
    All that they took would NOT fit behind our 3rd seat and still take 6 adults in the van. (My wife rode out and back with me).
    Since the DC 3.8L V6 with 215 HP / 245 Ft Lbs Torque gets the same gas mileage as lesser 3.3L V6 that has 180 HP / 210 Ft Lbs Torque, I would opt for the 3.8L if it were on the lower priced DC minivans...even as a $350 option. The DC 3.8L is more comparable to the Ody 3.5L than is the DC 3.3L engine.
    The eX is the lowest priced GC or T&C with the 3.8L (MSRP of $26,725)but it also has power sliding passenger door, power liftgate, removeable powered center console that we do NOT want....just as we do NOT want power sliding doors on Odyssey EX and would prefer Odyssey LX.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I hear you on the engine thing. We were lucky enough to buy a 1998 GC Sport with the rare/limited-time "29N" option that gave us the 3.8L. While I do not consider it a speed demon, it is fast enough to get up a steep freeway ramp fully loaded and be up to traffic speed at the merge point or pull out on to a busy road and not have you jamming your foot through the firewall for fear of getting rear-ended. I drove a 1998 GC Sport with the 3.3L last summer on a camping trip and I was stunned at the difference in performance.

As for the other options, we are currently looking for a new van, and I am a little frustrated by the fact that in order to get leather seats, I MUST buy one of the vans with those silly automatic doors which come standard on the T&C LXi, T&C Limited and the GC ES. The console on the other hand, I kind of like, so that is cool.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    If you don't want the higher priced van why not get what you want and go after market on the leather as the Odyssey people did for a couple years. We have the Classic Soft Trim in our Odyssey and it's as nice or even better than most leather put in cars today. Not only is the seats all leather (not just where your butt goes) but the 3rd seat is leather (not in anyother van) and same with the door panels being leather too. Including the 2 temp heat option we had about $1600 invested.
  • The only reason that people buy more Chrysler vans than Odyssey's is that there are far more of them available. I currently own a 95 Windstar and we've been pretty happy with it overall. I've been shopping around to replace the Windstar and I've test driven the 2002 Odyssey EX and 2002 Chrysler T&C eX. I was far more impressed with the Honda. Unfortunately, if I want one I'll probably have to wait a few months. On the other hand I could go to the local Chrysler dealer and buy one of the 50 or so they have available. There are no incentives available on the T&C EX so I'd essentially have to pay full sticker for both vans. Given the resale value of Hondas compared to Chryslers the Odyssey is by far the most intelligent choice.
This discussion has been closed.