Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    "You have provided a very compelling reason for some people to prefer the Odyssey over any other minivan. I had never considered the benefit that you clearly explained."

I admit this probably doesn't affect more than a small minority of buyers. I doubt we used this feature more than once a month on average, but it sure was handy when we did need it.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    That average would be too small for 2 communities on the Arizona/Utah border.
    Is that why Ford, GM, Chrysler made 18 passenger vans?
    For some families, it would take 3 Odysseys or 3 DC minivans to haul the entire family so each wife would have to drive separately

Actually 3 of the families do belong the LDS church. One has a Suburban, one a 1999-2004 Odyssey and one a old pre 1997 Dodge Caravan!
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Although a small minority may need the feature, there are probably many more people who would buy the Odyssey IF they realized the convenience offered by the sliding right side middle bucket seat when child seats are in place.
    The new child seats with tether strap are NOT very convenient to install, remove, install, etc. Once installed, it is an excellent convenience feature to be able to leave them and not have to remove and reinstall.
    Why didn't Toyota copy Honda instead of making their 2nd row bucket seats in the 7 passenger version quite difficult to remove and re-install to provide a 2nd row bench seat? Toyota had many years to see how much better the Odyssey system is than that in the Sienna.
    Did the first wife get the Odyssey (or the Suburban if it is much newer)?
    I had heard that the first wife in a multiple-wife situation is queen of the family and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. are servants.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    A battery saver is definitely a feature I wish I had. I've come home twice to find one of the overhead map lights on in the Ody.

Is it some special circuitry in the car which turns off the lights, or is it a feature of the battery itself?

I think it's a feature built into the computer. Without going out and checking the book, I believe it said it would shut them off after 20 min of the key being turned off.

I didn't realize at the time they could all be turned on and off by pushing the plastic shield.(I only owned it for two days. I reached down and turned the wheel switch on the dash, thinking I must have turned it on accidently. They didn't turn off. I was thinking, in just two days, the lights already screwed up on this van and I was about to take it back to the dealer. But I got out and looked to see if there was a switch on the lights before I did. That's when I found out my little darlings had pushed them all on. I'm glad I checked it and not made myself look like a fool to the mechanic.
    Better gas mileage with Ody than Caravan 3.3L is probably likely if a person drives aggressively since the more powerful Ody engine is not pushing the limits of performance like the less powerful Caravan 3.3L. :confuse:
    All I can say is that my 2002 T&C LX has consistently got about 7 or 8 MPG BETTER on long trips than my son gets with his 2001 Ody EX. ;)
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    "Why didn't Toyota copy Honda instead of making their 2nd row bucket seats in the 7 passenger version quite difficult to remove and re-install to provide a 2nd row bench seat? Toyota had many years to see how much better the Odyssey system is than that in the Sienna."

Not to mention the mechanism long available in the MPV, which is somewhat easier than the one in the Odyssey. Not only does it slide easily, but you don't even have to tip the seat back.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Then your son must be a hot rod. The last trip we ever took in our 2000 Odyssey, I set the cruise on 75MPH on the hills of I-65, and got 26.5MPGs. It wasn't hard, just set it, and forget it (of course, I had to punch it a few times and get up to 80-85).

Either your son was a hot rod, you (two) didn't travel on interstates, your son's Odyssey had a problem, or you got 33 miles per gallon. (The mileage was with 4 people aboard, and their luggage for the weekend; weather was warm, A/C on).
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    Then your son must be a hot rod. The last trip we ever took in our 2000 Odyssey, I set the cruise on 75MPH on the hills of I-65, and got 26.5MPGs. It wasn't hard, just set it, and forget it (of course, I had to punch it a few times and get up to 80-85).

Either your son was a hot rod, you (two) didn't travel on interstates, your son's Odyssey had a problem, or you got 33 miles per gallon. (The mileage was with 4 people aboard, and their luggage for the weekend; weather was warm, A/C on). "

It always gets back to the term, "Your mileage may vary"?

I participate on a Mazda3 board outside Edmunds, and with simlar driving habits there are wildly different MPG numbers. Some get 23, some get 30
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    2005 Odyssey Touring with cylinder deactivation Quote "average fuel economy 18.5 MPG"
    The latest results are 18.3 MPG for the 2005 Ody Touring for the 9066 miles it has been driven. On the last 479 mile trip it got 25.1 MPG....which is considerably less than the EPA 28 Estimate. :confuse:
    Is the cylinder deactivation designed for getting good EPA test results instead of actual mileage in real world driving.? :blush:

Here is the link for Ody average fuel economy:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/van/112_0510_2005_honda_odyssey_touring/inde- - - x.html
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    That agrees very closely with what Edmunds got on their long-term Odyssey (18.6 mpg).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=104757

Edmunds hasn't tested a DCX van in quite some time. Their last long-term test was of a '01 DGC which wrapped up in '03. They achieved a lifetime average of 17.8 mpg.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=45220
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Here is the Motorweek 05 Ody MPG. 2MPG more than the GC

link title
    Routinely get low numbers, mainly due to their usual bias towards performance.

It's probably likely to the lack of "drive it like you own it". Tell me, honestly, do you drive a rental car as easy or easier than you drive your own? No, probably not (the majority don't), and likely, the testers do the same.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Well, you need to remember that they (usually) only have the vehicles for a short amount of time and also do a fair amount of instrumented testing (0-60, 1/4mile, top speed, slalom, etc.) while they've got the vehicle. None of that is really condusive to good mileage numbers.

I really put somewhat more creedance in long-term test results. Unfortunately, the number of vehicles that get tested long term is too low. I can't find ANY long-term tests on the current DCX versions. Has anyone seen any?
    I think Motor Trend did one back in 2002-2003. I remember the vehicle; it was green with pretty 5-spoke chrome wheels.
  • fred222fred222 Posts: 200
    - another question, does the variable cylinder management on the Odyssey have any chronic problems
    I have a 2006 Odyssey EX-L. Very few miles (1900) but overall very good. The biggest negative thing that I have to say about the VCM is that with the Cruise Control on and when the conditions warrant shifting from 3 cylinders to 6 cylinders the vehicle will slow down about 1 to 2 mph before the additional cylinder activation happens and then speed up again. You can also feel the engine "lugging" just a little bit. Other vehicles that I own and have owned typically shift down a gear or unlock the torque converter at this point and tend to maintain the speed much better. This is a small thing, but I would prefer it to not be there.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    I now have 7,600 miles on my EX-L. I am averaging 21.5 in the mixed driving I do. My commute is 25-1/2 miles garage to garage each way. I drive about 23-1/2 of those miles on the freeway at about 68 in the morning and 55 in the afternoon. The last long road trip we took I got 26 mpg.

After all this nonsensical "mine is better than yours" we have been having for weeks it is safe to say "The Honda Odyssey is the Most Fuel Friendly" minivan on the market. ;)
    for our family. Son gets 20 to 24 MPG on long trips with his 2001 Ody EX while my 2002 T&C LX gets 26.5 to 28.2 MPG on long trips.
This discussion has been closed.