Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I showed ya when mine was bought end of May!! It's in the prices paid forum! So unless it was sitting at the dealer for 2 months(I bought it the day after it came in) there is no way that I could be affected by those recalls. Proving stuff to you is not possible.

Forget recalls for a second, how bout "unscheduled" visits? Wind noise? sliding door rattles? Exhaust booming? Brake wear and grinding? Steering issues? All those issues that pop up on even the 2006s!!!
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Forget recalls for a second, how bout "unscheduled" visits? Wind noise? sliding door rattles? Exhaust booming? Brake wear and grinding? Steering issues? All those issues that pop up on even the 2006s!!!

Nope none, just like the edmunds longterm!

True Market Value at service end: $31,647
    What it sold for: N/A
    Depreciation: $2,848 or 8% of original paid price
    Final Odometer Reading: 22,800
    Best Fuel Economy: 25.5 mpg
    Worst Fuel Economy: 12.6 mpg
    Average Fuel Economy: 18.6 mpg
    Total Body Repair Costs: None
    Total Routine Maintenance Costs (over 12 months): $223.50
    Additional Maintenance Costs: $50 for flat tire repair.
    Warranty Repairs: None
    Non-Warranty Repairs: 1 for repair of slow leak in one tire.
    Scheduled Dealer Visits: 2
    Unscheduled Dealer Visits: 1 in an attempt to get a tire repair
    Days Out of Service: 2 for scheduled maintenance
    Breakdowns Stranding Driver: None

Also motortrend only had 2 problems both with the sliding doors in 24K miles.
    They got 21.6 MPG during thier test!

The only longterm I can find on your none changed DGC model with the marginial offset scores. Is this 2001 longterm. Wow look at all the issues, I thought maybe they had my car. I had 4 of these issues on my 2001. The earlier vans were recalled for the clockspring! Why didn't they get it right on these models?

epreciation: $15,085 or 47 percent of original price paid2
    Final Odometer Reading: 37,339
    Best Fuel Economy: 23.3 mpg
    Worst Fuel Economy: 10.6 mpg
    Average Fuel Economy: 17.8 mpg
    Total Body Repair Costs: $3,647.32
    Total Routine Maintenance Costs: $338.42
    Additional Maintenance Costs: $444.093
    Warranty Repairs: 10
    Non-Warranty Repairs: 1
    Scheduled Dealer Visits: 4
    Unscheduled Dealer Visits: 4
    Days Out of Service: 20 (all for body repair)
    Breakdowns Stranding Driver: None

Problem History:
    1. One editor noted that the seal for the passenger-side sliding door dangled loose when the door was closed in February 2001.

2. We noted pedal pulsation during moderate braking in April 2001. Santa Monica Dodge diagnosed warped rotors and replaced the front rotors and pads under warranty.

3. The airbag warning light began illuminating intermittently in May 2001. Santa Monica Dodge found no problems and reset the light. The problem resurfaced in August 2001. One editor found a technical service bulletin (TSB) that appeared to cover the concern in September 2001 — it had to do with loose sound-deadening material interfering with something called a clockspring ribbon that controls the airbag. Our diagnosis was apparently dead-on, and Buerge Chrysler-Jeep performed the repair under warranty.

4. In August 2001, drivers reported odd snaps, crackles and pops emanating from the steering column when the tires encountered bumps and expansion joints. Buerge Chrysler-Jeep couldn't find anything wrong with the vehicle in September 2001. Buerge technicians were subsequently able to confirm the problem in December 2001, and a new power steering hose was ordered and installed under warranty. Alas, we began to hear noises from the steering column once again in April 2002, but Buerge was never able to duplicate the problem.

5. The power liftgate mechanism broke in September 2001, when its single small control arm dislodged itself from the liftgate (fortunately, the gate could still be opened and closed manually). Buerge Chrysler-Jeep repaired it under warranty. When it broke, the control arm scraped an adjacent interior trim panel, which Buerge also replaced free of charge.

6. One editor's wife noted that the driver window wouldn't go up on one occasion in December 2001; the problem had begun to occur more frequently by February 2002. Buerge replaced the regulator under warranty.

7. The passenger window stopped working in January 2002 — at least it was rolled up at the time. Buerge replaced the regulator under warranty in February 2002.

8. Drivers observed a rattle from a left front suspension component in April 2002. Buerge replaced both front struts under warranty in June 2002.

9. The air conditioning stopped working in July 2002. Glenn E. Thomas Dodge replaced the condenser under warranty.

10. We noted that the van had a serious pull to the left in September 2002. Since this condition was accompanied by abnormal front tire wear, we surmised that Buerge had failed to perform an alignment after replacing both front struts. As a result, we had to pay $444 for a new pair of front tires and another $50 for an alignment.

I know it's a 2001 but find me something more up to date!!!
  • "You have had more vehicles (and more expensive) in the past 5 years than we have owned. "

Oh, BTW, I think I have most of thos vehicles up on my carspace. It's always fun to go back and look as some of them.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I will turn this car RIGHT AROUND young man! Noone should get nasty over a MINIVAN! It sounds like it's headed that way, though, unfortunately.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    WHY won't Edmunds state the actual selling price of their Odyssey?
    Depreciation is the actual dollar difference between purchase price and not some fictitious number pulled out of the sky or somewhere else. :shades:

I sent an e-mail to the Edmund's editor asking why the N/A for selling price of the Odyssey 3 weeks ago. I am still waiting for my answer. :blush:
    Depreciation is the actual dollar difference between purchase price and not some fictitious number pulled out of the sky or somewhere else.

I believe the word I'm looking for here, is,

Huh? Isn't that understood?
    Is that question too difficult to answer? :confuse:
    No data to support the quoted True Market Value in the posting. :mad:
    Are you telling us that the true market value for the used 2005 Odyssey was pulled out of thin air?
    No, in fact, quite the opposite.

Here's the basic fact that you reiterated:

Depreciation= PuchasePrice-ResalePrice

I didn't understand who WOULDN'T understand it, I guess is why I got confused.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    It depends on what you call "major." I believe DCX spent $400 million on that minor overhaul. That's big money for no new/upgraded engine, interior (stowing seats exluded), or changes to amend the driving experiece (although it isn't bad). "

I guess it's a good thing they sold so many more vans after they did it. ;)
    I guess it's a good thing they sold so many more vans after they did it.

I would be interested in seeing sales for the last couple years for DCX (pre-stowngo, post stowngo).
    Hey!! Lets compare apples and oranges while we're at it!!

Find me a apple!

Sorry you had to go back 5 years to an old Motor Trend.

No the motor trend was from 2005. Is that 5 years ago?? I also included a Edmunds longterm.

DCX vans may not be perfect, but the much touted Ody isn't any better.

I expect the reliability to be very close.

Thank god all I need do is look at the exclusive "Ody problems 2005+" for an even longer laundry list of problems.

Yep I'm sure all that info is in line with reality. ;) Forums maybe the least reliable way to see whats really going on. No way to track anything(posts per hit/overall hits/repeat posters under deferrent ID's/etc)

Go look up other dirt yourself if you want to be nasty. It's obvious I don't need to help you.

I didn't want to put up the info I did. But by making gereral statement about how my van was doing(By saying we all have these issues over and over again it convinces people that it's true), I was forced to look for examples! :blush:
    I didn't want to put up the info I did. But by making gereral statement about how my van was doing(By saying we all have these issues over and over again it convinces people that it's true), I was forced to look for examples!

So ALL the people having issues with, for example wind noise is probably just a vast DCX conspiracy to make Honda look bad I bet!! Non of it is true!!! Same with exhaust boom etc.. and the rest of the 333 problem posts in the "2005+ Ody problems" thread since mid January!!!
    o ALL the people having issues with, for example wind noise is probably just a vast DCX conspiracy to make Honda look bad I bet!! Non of it is true!!! Same with exhaust boom etc.. and the rest of the 333 problem posts in the "2005+ Ody problems" thread since mid January!!!

Sir, I believe you think you can be disagreeable, but when someone puts up information you don't like you call them nasty! As for conspiracy theorys I don't deal in them. It's really for those who can't stand reality. I know all cars have issues but useing just internet forums is very SIMPLE!!!
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "I would be interested in seeing sales for the last couple years for DCX (pre-stowngo, post stowngo)."

Funny you should ask.

It took some digging over at autonews.com, but I was able to determine actual vehicle sales for DCX vans (which included some leftover Voyagers up until around '04). Total sales (not production, SALES) of DCX vans (Voyager, T&C, Caravan/grand Caravan) are as follows:

2000 455,468
    2001 430,043
    2002 408,681
    2003 374,494
    2004 386,664
    2005 407,530

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA29331023.PDF
    http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA411216.PDF
    http://www.autointell.com/nao_companies/daimlerchrysler/dc-business-figures/chry- - sler-group-sales-prod-01.htm#Car%20&%20Truck%20Sales%202000-2001

So, it appears as though sales were up by about 20k units from '04 to '05 (and helped to reverse a fairly nasty trend).

I've no idea how many years one would spread the $400 million development cost over since a fair amount of that R&D would apply not just to the current vans but also to the next gen '08 DCX vans when they come out.

edit: hmmmm, it didn't like that long autointell.com address.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "So ALL the people having issues with, for example wind noise is probably just a vast DCX conspiracy to make Honda look bad I bet!!"

No, not at all.

socalawd is NOT saying that NO ONE is having problems. But you seem to be insinuating that ALL Odys have these problems. Such is not the case.

I wouldn't be surprised if there have been 333 posts in that thread since mid-January. After all, it is a Problems AND SOLUTIONS thread. Also, many folks feel the need to post (vent?) on multiple occasions for the same problem. This is not unique to the Odyssey; one can see this same thing in virtually any 'Problems/Solutions' thread. Part of the problem MAY be folks buying a Honda thinking it's going to be absolutely perfect. It's not. I do think however that many of the 'problems' reported in that thread are blown WAY out of proportion. Just IMO.

You seem to think that socalawd is lying when he states he hasn't experienced those problems. Actually, my wife and I haven't experienced any of those problems with our Odyssey either; although I'll admit that after reading about supposed windshield imperfections, I took a long HARD look at our windshield. After about 3 minutes of close inspection, yep, I found a tiny little something in the windshield (if examined at the right angle in the right light). But, since it went unnoticed for nearly a year, I don't think I need to go into the P&S thread and whine about it. And I wouldn't be surprised to find similar little imperfections in virtually ANY windshield if examined close enough.

We DID have a problem with a noisy slider not long after we got our van (making a fairly pronouced grinding noise with door operation) but the problem was excessive dirt buildup in the door channels. We live down a mile long dirt road which was being traversed at least 4 times a day. The dealer cleaned and lubed the track and recommended an occasional washing. Problem hasn't returned since.

All in all, we've been very pleased with our van's quality and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of OTHER Ody owners feel the same.
    socalawd is NOT saying that NO ONE is having problems. But you seem to be insinuating that ALL Odys have these problems. Such is not the case.

At the same time socalawd, because of his problems insinuates that all DCX owners have problems. Its good to point out both trees have rotting apples.

All in all, we've been very pleased with our van's quality and I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of OTHER Ody owners feel the same. Same for the 400,000+ yearly buyers of DCX vans. If that wasn't the case, after 20 years of manufacturing very poor quality minivans, they'd be selling far fewer!
    If that wasn't the case, after 20 years of manufacturing very poor quality minivans, they'd be selling far fewer!

If this was true in general, then how do you explain all of the sales for cars like the Cavalier and Malibu (prev. gen)?
    At the same time socalawd, because of his problems insinuates that all DCX owners have problems. Its good to point out both trees have rotting apples.

Earlier in this same post I said the reliability is probably a wash! Maybe you got me confused with someone else?? ;)
This discussion has been closed.