Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• The Odyssey is quiet and built well, but its not tough. Dodge or Chrysler vans can handle better weight and not bottom out in the back.
    Odyssey-for city
    Dodge- for higway and work
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    Dodge or Chrysler vans can handle better weight and not bottom out in the back.

Where are you getting the info for that? How much weight are you hauling? I just did a trip with the Ody last week: cargo area filled to the top of the 3rd row (including a huge cooler filled with ice/drinks), two adults in all 3 rows, and the vehicle seemed to sit fine and never bottomed out. I also was not blinding anyone with my headlights, which seems to say it was sitting relatively level. Perhaps you can't haul a load of gold ingots....but I'm not sure how much more weight you could physically get in mine to make it "bottom out".
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    The Odyssey is quiet and built well, but its not tough. Dodge or Chrysler vans can handle better weight and not bottom out in the back.
    Odyssey-for city
    Dodge- for higway and work

Alright lets look at GVWR this is the gross vehicle weight rating. You take the GVWR and subtract the curb weight of the vehicle and get payload weight.

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
    Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 5,600, curb weight (lbs) 4,147,

Max cargo weight 1443lbs

2005 Honda Odyssey

Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 5,953, curb weight (lbs) 4,378

Max cargo weight 1575lbs.

So the manufactures say Ody carries more weight.
    Of course the Ody EX costs 25K :P :P :P more than a DGC SXT but what the heck it's worth it!! :shades:
  • Alright lets look at GVWR this is the gross vehicle weight rating. You take the GVWR and subtract the curb weight of the vehicle and get payload weight.

You need to include the GVW per axle too. That is how the payload weight is spread out. The front axle will have the lowest weight rating, because of the engine and trans. The rear axle will have the highest weight rating. Also, note that since the Dodge and T&C minivans use leaf springs and have a solid rear axle, they hold the weight better and you have less sagging in the rear. Independent suspension in the rear, on minivans, just don't handle max pay loads as well as a solid rear axle with leaf springs. If you want proof, just look at the rear suspension of trucks and look up suspension here on Edmunds. :D
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    IMO, if you are hauling or towing anything substantial, you don't want any minivan. Talking about an extra 100 pounds or so is irrelevant. Get a Durango or Tahoe or something similar, instead.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Odyssey has THE MOST comfortable seating with the most flexibility. Grand Caravan has more features with places to store more cargo. The Odyssey interior is more attractive but the Grand Caravan has more attractive exterior styling.
    Is this why these 2 minivans are the BEST selling? :shades:
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    IMO, if you are hauling or towing anything substantial, you don't want any minivan. Talking about an extra 100 pounds or so is irrelevant. Get a Durango or Tahoe or something similar, instead.

The DCX vans may only tow an additional 300lbs over all other minivans, but the more important aspect for me is the tow package. The DCX tow package is factory installed and includes items that would be difficult for a dealer to install correctly....HD electrical system (increased wire size, battery and battery terminals), Auto leveling rear suspension, on top of the usual HD radiator, tranny cooler and PS cooler that most dealers will install.

Got to say, I'm glad I opted for the Caravan 2 years ago!! I almost had a HEMI Durango but during the test drive I kept watching the mileage readout of 11 MPG!!! OUCH!!!! Towing my RV, I easily see 22 MPG..not shabby in my book.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Is this why these 2 minivans are the BEST selling?

YEP! Because if you combined the best attributes of both vehicles, you'd have the perfect car!
    I had an 02 T&C LX and now have an 06 Sienna LE. The T&C is a much superior van to the Sienna !!
    The T&C was quieter, had less wind noise at highway speeds, had a superior heating/air conditioning/ventilation system, had a superior more accurate trip computer, had a superior radio/stereo system, and the list goes on.
    The Sienna has slightly more power and gets slightly better gas mileage and the driver's seat is more comfortable than the driver's seat in the T&C BUT the T&C other seats are MORE comfortable than the Sienna seats.

Resale? Another HOAX. I tried to trade off my almost new Sienna LE and was told by a Toyota dealership that it has a trade in value of only $ 19,000. Do NOT believe the bloated, over-inflated trade in values quoted for the Sienna or Odyssey. In the real world, DaimlerChrysler minivans actually cost less to own than the overhyped Sienna and Odyssey.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Do NOT believe the bloated, over-inflated trade in values quoted for the Sienna or Odyssey. In the real world, DaimlerChrysler minivans actually cost less to own than the overhyped Sienna and Odyssey.

Funny, we got $1,200 OVER bluebook value for our 2000 Odyssey last November(traded in at a Honda dealership). It's very dependent on the individual dealer, remember.

And the price of the car we purchased was negotiated before we discussed trading in our van, just an FYI on that detail.

As far as TCO, that'll be different for each individual, but remember, just like my case may not be typical, yours may not be either. Just a reminder for those who read but may not post here. :)
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Having read that Odyssey owners are having to add gutter guard or an aftermarket lower grille to protect their Odyssey from flying stones from damaging the AC condenser coil, I took a look at our new Grand Caravan. I found that behind the painted lower grille openings below the bumper, there is a black honeycomb subgrille with closely spaced deep openings in front of the condenser, obviously designed so no flying stones can contact the condenser. A nice hidden touch, shows that DaimlerChrysler has their thinking caps on.

Also, I don't know if Odyssey does it, but when either rear sliding doors are opened, the emergency flashers go off for about 10-15 seconds, to warn oncomming traffic that someone may be leaving the van. A nice safety touch for those with young, sometimes unpredictable children.
  • I have old Chrysler and Honda minivans. The 02 Odyssey does not turn off interior lights automatically when the door is open for a long time. I have had more than one dead battery. I know, some fans will say I am just too stupid. I have to switch off the lights manually. The off switch is easily bumped to the on position because of where it is. But leaving a door open does happen. Better to have a safety feature to help avoid dumb mistakes. Antilock brakes and traction control also help when dumb mistakes are made. The old Chrysler turns off interior lights after several minutes.

And I did add Gutter Guard also. Not enough rock protection for the AC on the Odyssey.
  • I had an 02 T&C LX and now have an 06 Sienna LE. The T&C is a much superior van to the Sienna !!

Hans after all that research you still made a bad choice. Shoulda got the Ody. Just got back from Zion(the narrows and angels's landing rocked!!) and Bryce what a great trip( I live in orange county Ca). No complains (actually the sis in law was like wow this is nice ;) ) from anyone and 25.5 mpg for the trip.

Resale? Another HOAX. I tried to trade off my almost new Sienna LE and was told by a Toyota dealership that it has a trade in value of only $ 19,000. Do NOT believe the bloated, over-inflated trade in values quoted for the Sienna or Odyssey. In the real world, DaimlerChrysler minivans actually cost less to own than the overhyped Sienna and Odyssey.

If you want top dollar sell it private(My 2001 Caravan had no real offers so I traded it in :cry: ) also the dealer will try and make the most money they can. :P
  • I have old Chrysler and Honda minivans. The 02 Odyssey does not turn off interior lights automatically when the door is open for a long time.

If it is on b/c the doors are open, the lights should turn off after 10 mins or so (they did on our 2000 model). If a light is switched on (or the master switch is turned "on" then they will stay on regardless.

The lights should go off after 10-15 mins of the door/hatch being ajar, unless switched on manually.
  • My lights on the Odyssey LX do not go off automatically. "The lights should go off after 10-15 mins of the door/hatch being ajar, unless switched on manually."
    Door ajar with dome light switch on mid position to turn on when door opens. Dome lights stay on until battery dead. Happened several times. A design flaw.

Old Chrysler van. Interior lights turn off after 10 min or so if the door is left open.
  • Our EX 2000 model turned off several times. Switch in middle position. If individual lights were left on, they would stay on, however. Apparently LX and EX are different, and it isn't a design flaw as much as it is your van not coming with that particular feature(such as the auto-off headlights that also come on the uplevel EX model of that year).

A design flaw would be a major problem (like chronic wind-noise from a body-panel design), this is a case where a convenience feature did not come on your model. Just check your doors before leaving the van. I don't have auto-off lights on my old Accord, but I always check behind myself to see that the doors were closed/locked.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    My EX-L turns the lights off if a door is left open. I thought it was 30 minutes....but it's in the owners manual.
  • My EX-L turns the lights off if a door is left open. I thought it was 30 minutes....but it's in the owners manual.

It is in the manual, and it may very well be 30 minutes. We traded-in our Odyssey 10 months ago, so it has been awhile since I've seen this feature in action.
    Hmmm...Your profile shows you have a 2006 Accord and a 1996 Accord.
    Would you mind telling why you no longer drive an Odyssey? My wife and I could never go back to driving a sedan after getting our first minivan.
    BTW, my son now has a 2006 Odyssey EX-L that is usually driven by his wife. :shades:
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Having read that Odyssey owners are having to add gutter guard or an aftermarket lower grille to protect their Odyssey from flying stones from damaging the AC condenser coil, I took a look at our new Grand Caravan. I found that behind the painted lower grille openings below the bumper, there is a black honeycomb subgrille with closely spaced deep openings in front of the condenser, obviously designed so no flying stones can contact the condenser. A nice hidden touch, shows that DaimlerChrysler has their thinking caps on.

I've discovered that the condenser manufacturers have reduced the thickness of the condenser walls...this is for almost all vehicles so beware!!!! Also, my 05 DCX GC SXT had a shield installed at no charge by the dealer when I was getting an oil change.
This discussion has been closed.