Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• blandfordmblandfordm Member Posts: 54
    Since there are not enough Sienna's or Odyssey's for everyone who wants a mini-van, I'm glad there is someone willing to buy other minivans.

However, I would say using Consumer Reports to substantiate Chrysler's reliability does not make sense. CR said rated the Voyager's reliability with their worst rating. They rated the Town & Country's reliability with their next to worst rating. CR rated the Sienna's reliability with their best rating and the Odyssey's with their next to best rating. And as far as comparing Chrysler's reliability to BMW's or Mercedes, since this is a discussion board for a mini-van, I'm curious which BMW or Mercedes mini-van you are comparing Chrysler to. I did not see a mini-van listed in Consumer Reports for either maker- I never shop for BMWs or Mercedes, so I can only assume they don't make one.

As for not believing what the magazines tell you about Chrysler's reliability, the only experience I have with a Chrysler van is the 3-4 year-old Town & Country that two of our friends owned (past tense), which they intended to keep for years, had so many problems (specifically with the electrical system) that they finally had to buy a new car and get whatever they could for their problematic Town & Country (which was not much considering the thousands required if they had tried to fix it- for a second time).

Furthermore, Sienna, which you referred to as a "[non-permissible content removed]" car, has always been made in America- they made models up through the 2003 in Georgetown, KY. They recently moved production for the 2004 to their Indiana plant. Whereas, although I'm not an expert on Chrysler, it appears they build the Town & Country in their Windsor, Ontario (Canadian) Plant. And they build the Voyager in Graz, Austria.

So, although I wonder why someone would, to keep demand from raising prices too high on the Odyssey and Sienna, I hope other buyers will continue to buy other mini-vans- so the rest of us can get a deal on vans that are reliable.
  • bill1000bill1000 Member Posts: 38
    I bought a 2003 T&C LXI model with leather, dvd, sunroof, heated seats, cargo organizer - pretty much fully loaded. Paid $29,900 including rebates and discounts. The Odyssey EXL w/DVD was about the same price minus some bells and whistles (sunroof, power hatch, computer console, power passenger seat, 3 zone HVAC). The Sienna was about $4000 more since Toyota is loading options on them for now. The noise was comparable in the T&C and Sienna and a little bit more pronounced in the Honda. It came down to which car we liked driving better and the Chrysler was it for us. It was just an added bonus that we got more for our money. Like I said before, I got a 100,000 bumper to bumper exetended warranty to ease my conscience about the reliability. The Honda only gas a 36,000 mile warranty on everything including the powertrain so I would have probably bought one for it also. I drive an Acura car and love it, so I certainly can't say Hondas are not great cars, but I also have friends who have had problems with their Odysseys (power doors in particular). To each his own.
  • bill1000bill1000 Member Posts: 38
    P.S. I traded in a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan for the new 2003 T&C. It had 120,000 miles on it and was running in great shape. I did have a couple problems with it during the seven years I owned it - oxygen sensor, fuel tank, and power steering. Spent about $1500 total in repairs which I thought wasn't too bad considering the 96 was a new model and gets trashed in consumer reports. Maybe I was lucky.
  • algie_fawkesalgie_fawkes Member Posts: 14
    No, Mercedes and BMW don't make minivans, you are right. I was just comparing Chrysler as a company to those two German companies as a whole. ANd yes, I am aware that when we speak of "imports" and "domestics," oftentimes import brands build cars in the US and vice versa.

CR's ratings have come under heavy fire from all sides and I can understand that--even agree with that. but what I find interesting is that they are beginning to warm a bit toward Chrysler, a company they always ripped off for reliability in the past. So, that seems to show something, does it not?

And yes. Motor Trend pretty much said that the Dodge G. Caravan and the HOnda Odyssey are equal in advantages--it just depends what you want. Caravan=quieter interior, better style, AWD, power liftgate/doors, more comfort. Odyssey=good reliability history, better for cargo, "magic" seat, better acceleration, esp. in low end.

So, I'll leave it at that. I would buy DC, but for those who want the honda, fine.
    Well, you sure are right about Motor Trend's review between the Dodge Caravan and the Odyssey. Although, having had a couple used cars when I was younger, that I spent more on repairs than I would have on a monthly payment for a nicer car, reliability is very important to me. And Motor Trend did not even mention reliability or estimated repairs in their article (which was written by a bachelor with no kids- he notes that in his article).

But as far as "warm[ing] a bit toward Chrysler, a company they always ripped off for reliability in the past". I didn't see much warmth from Consumer Reports concerning the reliability of Dodge or Chrysler minivans. Between the Caravan, Voyager, and Town & Country, the best rating they gave for reliability was their second to worst rating. And the Voyager got their worst rating. Whereas the Odyssey got their second best reliability rating and the Sienna got the best rating available.

However, if these companies would:
    1. Significantly improve the reliability of their minivans and,
    2. Start building these cars in America, and
    3. Keep their prices competitive with the other minivan makers

I would certainly consider buying one instead of a Sienna (that is made in Indiana) or an Odyssey (that is made in Canada).
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Please. Motor Trend must be on the D/C salary list or they must have lost their God-loving minds. My father-n-law owns two Caravans-a 1997 and 2001. I think the Caravan is definitely louder than the Odyssey, but there's only one way to fine out. Yes, blandfordm, sound meter!:-)
    And styling? Oh My Gosh! How can you compare the stlying of the Caravan to anything? It sucks! The MVP or '04 Sienna or '03 Odyssey blows away the Caravan or T&C anyday, but again, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder---purely subjective opinions.
    Andrewtran71, Yes. I completely agree with you about everything except, Noooooooooo! Please don't start posting more sound meter recordings. I really laughed at this post- about the sound meter part.
    Okay--as long as algie doesn't want to get into a debate cession on sound levels. Who knows? Being a young and able person that he is, he might try to out do me and buy himself a digital sound meter and start his own comparison.
    If you want to champion the argument on why the Odyssey and/ or Sienna are much better than some other makes, I might be interested in reading it, even if it did have some sound meter readings in it- although I would probably like it even more without the readings.
  • estevensestevens Member Posts: 2
    I have the 2002 Grand Caravan Sport, it was the best van I have ever had until all the oil leaked out and it cost me $5,000.
    If you want to know more, go to my web site http://www.barberic.ca
    After having Chyrsler give me the run around, I posted the info on my site.
    After checking sites like this and lemon aid sites, it is now no surprise that it takes extreme measures to get Chrysler to pay up.

My next van will most likely be the Honda, the new Toyota has poor seats, the Mazda is too small.
  • algie_fawkesalgie_fawkes Member Posts: 14
    lol, no, I probably won't go and invest in a sound checking spree. I'll just have to leave that to others. :)
    Oh, come on, algie! Don't let me be the only sound meter nerd around here! And aren't you planing on getting a home theater in the near future? See, you will need a digital sound meter for $50. Plus, being a music major, you have a better reason for getting the sound meter. I think just for fun, I will do a reading on the 2001 Caravan and just let you know the simple difference in sound level without saying a whole lot more.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    You guys are nuts! You should be judging the noise by your own ears, the sound meter didn't pay $$$ for the van, you did, the sound meter doesn't sit inside your van everyday, you do. Sound Meter only measures the sound level and it doesn't tell you the noise is annoying or not. By the way, that's what the stereo system is for...to block out the annoying noise from your van, your wife, your kids, your.....
    I see what you're saying. Thank goodness for CD player. I believe the general thinking is that comparing sound levels is a mute point because they're all pretty similar. But some people will make big claims on the difference in sound level to justify their buying decisions. Also, those car review magazines are probably bought out and they are bias as heck. Like tomtomtom says, if it doesn't sound loud to you, then it's not loud no matter what anyone else says. Oh, by the way, yes, I am nuts.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    Now there is a real difference in sound sytems. The Honda sound system is so poor it can't block out my wife.
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
    Nothing could. :)
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    we have that video shoot coming up.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    thanks!
    you attract attention from the BIG boss.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    They both have four wheels, a spare tire of a sorts, 5 doors and are both bigger than my car.

How's that for a comparison?
    my car also has four wheels, a spare tire of a sorts, and 5 doors. However it is smaller than an Odyssey or a DC van.
    So true.
  • bdaddybdaddy Member Posts: 171
    Ody van CR best buy, again. Have best magic seat best magic resale best magic handeling.

DC have best magic stereo.
    Does the T&C come with Navigation system, and if so, what kind is it? Is it comparable in price to the Odyssey with Leather +Navigation system or to the Sienna?
    Also, what kind of extended warranty do they have and what's the best price. It might be okay if they offer a 10Y/100K bumper to bumper warranty that would cover everything NAV+RES for about $800.
    I not no Toyota make SUv. All I no is they look nice in back of my GM pick up truk.

This is minivan topic no? DC minivan nice van. Toyota to. Magazines rate Honda best. Honda pretty good to.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    DC does offer a Nav system. It goes where the radio goes. I think the order code is RB1, it's $1600.00. You'll have to order a van from the factory to get it.
    I find it interesting that there is pat (4 numbers under me).
     What magazines rate Honda best ? Honda ugly. DC van look good, not like egg with wheels Honda.
    That's $1600 plus labor if you do it after you bought the van. You will get a tiny 4" screen from this unit (Honda and Toyota 6"?)
    Honda is beautiful like a fresh Spring Morning. The radio sounds like birds chirping to greet the first light of day. The colors evoke the subtle blush of a sunset.

Which Magazines? Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, probably Motor Trend and of course the ever popular Edmunds guide. ;-D
    Crkeehn, that was beautiful! It almost made me cry :-)
    Bdaddy, I think 6" navi screen is the standard, although it can be blinding in my Odyssey unless I turn the brightness down. I think the Accord has a 7" screen. The Hertz NeverLost GPS screen is like a 4" screen and although it doesn't look as cool, I never had problem using it.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I think we should all push for a 50" wide screen Navi system on all vans, mounted right where the windshield is, then we don't have to worry about all those distracting things that would interfere with our main requirements while driving, that is, of course watching the Navi screen!

(Real men don't need Navi, we prefer to let our wives ask for directions!)

Just joking people :-) (but there is some truth behind my jokes)
    I especially liked driving home in my Canyon Stone Silver Metallic 99 Odyssey. The color did get a purple sort of sunset hue in the late afternoon sun. This purple hue matched nicely with the bright orange of my TCS and check engine lights coming on simultaneously. It was truly a sunset to remember.
      Too bad I needed a functional transmission to spoil the sunset.
     $ 6000 plus labor ?
    What ? is that cursing I hear disrupting the beautiful afternoon.? What does Hondasux mean ?
    They're still reporting that the Ody is reliable. (I understand that is no comfort if you got bitten.) I owned a Ford Windstar that suffered neither the dreaded head gasket problem or the transmission problem. I have had many interesting exchanges with a libearian in New Jersey who owned one that suffered both.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Dreaded Windstall. Adivice - if ever own Windstall drive 80,000 miles AND NOT ANOTHER INCH. Seals pop. Transmission blows. Killer is I knwo someone whose grandparents have a Windstall with 210,000 miles on it. I can only conclude that somehow they got the miles I paid for or that they have been pushing the thing around rather than driving it!

At least folks are comparing teh right vans in here.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    Same for DC and Honda. Don't go past 72,000 in a DC, or 68,000 in a Honda. Both Transmissions self destructed at those miles. Actually, one of the Honda Service Reps I dealt with when I had my ODY transmission under repair for 19 days ( first rebuilt tranny didn't have all the parts; the second was rusted and full of water; the third was OK. Each took about a week to ship ) now works for Toyota. I traded in my ODY for a Toyota. I will say my Toyota has a full size spare. I can't tell you what kind of spare the ODY has. I know, but I can't say that word. That word is off topic.
    Actually, my friend Marjoe tells me that his Odyssey is extremely reliable. At the rate he's driving it, and using your criteria, it should be good for the next 20 years.

It's also the rare DVBP. It must be rare, I don't think I've ever seen one.
    I did hear that his sunglass holder broke but that could just be a rumour.
    I remember Marjoe. He and a guy named Whambam used to post here and in the ODY column both. Marjoe still has his deep velvet blue pearl Odyssey ? I had the Canyon Stone Silver metallic. Those colors were only made in the 99 model year. They were much more lustrous, with subtle hues depending on lighting than ODY colors today. They obviously were more expensive, too.
    Too bad about Marjoe's plastic interior parts falling apart in his ODY.
      Say pat 84 says "Hi" to Marjoe.
  • chet7chet7 Member Posts: 13
    Actually, the deep velvet blue pearl was also available on early 2000 Odysseys (up through December 1999, I believe). I have one--built in October 1999, and delivered in November.

I have also seen a couple dark blue 2003's around town. Not sure if it's the exact same blue as my 2000, but it's close.
    You are a very fortunate person. I can truthfully say that I have only seen one blue Ody in a three year period. Which blue it was, I don't know.

I am puzzled by Honda's color choices. I would think that blue would be a very popular color, I remember a number of people complaining that they tried to order blue Odys only to be discouraged by the salespeople. It seems to me that American Honda and their sales staff are shooting themselves in the foot.

BTW Blue was so popular that three of the ten colors that Chrysler has for the PT Cruiser this year are blues.
  • chet7chet7 Member Posts: 13
    So blue 2000's must be especially rare!

Dark blue Odysseys are not all that uncommon here in central Iowa. I see one every now and then.

A local Honda service manager told me that dark blue was a fairly good seller in this area, but didn't do very well on the higher-volume east and west coasts.

Dodge has much better colors overall. I especially like the red Caravans. They look better than the red Odysseys, IMHO.
    It is easier to tell the paint quality by looking at dark colors. Maybe that's the reason why...
    I'd say the Japanese have a better track record with paint than the domestics. What has been your experience with this?

Does that WhamBam guy come around any more? He reminded me of Ody1: really great guy.
    I owned a forest green 96 DC and a Canyon Stone Silver 99 ODY. I know there are a lot of older Chrysler products with bad paint, but the paint on my DC was top notch. The Honda paint was applied very smoothly but, seemed thinner than the DC. I didn't have any problem with either paint job, but that sort of dark gray Honda color held dirt better than any color I have had.
    I sort of remember the simularity between ODY1 and whambam. They both posted like Tonto. Catlady padded posts with no shame.
    they should open a topic on Edmunds where Old Friends can get together. It sure would be a more friendly place for Ody and DC and MPV and Sienna owners to reconcile their differences over a slab of coffee. Like a café of sorts: one of those that you stop into at the roadside on a long trip.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    The problem with opening a topic like that is some of the mentioned members were banned for multiple violations of the Member Agreement.
    Those renegades should know better than to abuse Edmunds like that.
    As pointed out by pat84. Japanese brand cars usually has thinner paint than American brand cars. That is fine until your car chips by rocks or hard objects. I haven't had any problem with the paint job on my T&C (patriot blue). I do prefer darker colors because those colors give you the shine you want to see after 2 hours of waxing.
    Honda save money on paint and transmission. Spend money on engine, safety and useful options like magic seat.

DC save money on engine and transmission and safety harness. Spend money on paint and dual zone AC and cup holders.

Customer need to decide what van to buy based on where car company save money.

Malt cafe sound like good idea if not for people who enjoy multiples.
    Ok, so I was talking to my sis in-law last night about their hunt for a new mini-van. Of course, I tried to talk her into the finest one on the face of the earth, but she says it's just too small. They currently have a '94 DC that has left her stranded several times and spent $$$ over the course of their 7 years in it. With that, I suggested an Ody to her. She went to the local dealer and sat in the van but said she felt the seats were too stiff and just didn't feel comfy. She's a petite lady without any of her own padding so my question goes out to those who can sympathize; Does the Ody get any more comfy with time?

I know the DC had very cushy seats which I loathe, but it's not for me.
This discussion has been closed.