Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I'm sure their wives don't find them funny whatsoever. However, Ody vs DC most funny place in Town Hall. Cafe patrons need resting place to shoot dung, not turkey. Bdaddy seem to complete brotherhood initiation with flying color.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Also lay turkey on padded armrest so not bruise turkey
  • bdaddybdaddy Posts: 171
    B-Diddy think go to same grade school Whammy, Maltb, Dmathews, Pat. Boys good if apart. Teacher have to seperate to get through class.

Email secret for now so FBI not find and question again. Also want to keep undercover while H.E.I.T. Fear many DC owners write notes try and get secret information on new cars and vans.

B-diddy break whambam code. Max have penchant for old David Bowie song, Suffraget City.

Bdaddy (Honda Engineer In Training)
  • rbell2rbell2 Posts: 179
    I have been looking at vans for the past month and finally decided on another DGC. I bought a '96 DGC LE new and now have 91,000 miles on it. During those 6 years, I spent ~$1,000 on what I consider non-routine maintenance repairs. Not bad for my first non-Japanese car.
    After much comparison and almost falling into the Odyssey "hype" (I own a '98 Accord - very good car), the DGC was really the better value and more accommodating for my family. The best price I got on a Odyssey EX was $5,300 off the sticker of $27,450 with my trade for a net of $22,150. I got a DGC EX with Side ABS and left sliding door (sticker price $27,500) for $20,025 with my trade. They also added for no extra charge an in-dash/ceiling mounted DVD player and additional transmission and engine cooling for towing more than 2,000 lbs.
    The only thing the Ody had over the DGC was a little more power and slightly better crash test scores. The "magic seat" means almost nothing to us - the power liftgate is much more useful (especially since my wife is 5'1" tall).
    To us the DGC was more comfortable, quieter, almost as powerful, easier to access the rear bench, and has more useful features such as the trip computer/compass, DVD player, power liftgate, CD AND cassette, and better sounding stereo.
    My biggest concern with the DGC was reliability but, quite honestly, the Ody has not been "Honda-stellar" in that arena. Consumer Reports shows the Ody and DGC virtually equal on frequency of repairs and both are recommended. With the free 7-70 engine warranty on the DGC, I felt better about the DGC long-term (as I plan to keep this vehicle 6 or 7 years). Just look at the number of messages in the "Ody problem" discussion versus the number in the "Chrysler/Dodge van problems" discussions. Given the much higher volume of Chrysler/Dodge vans sold, the problems seem to be disproportionate against the Ody.
    Good luck shopping!! I am happy.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    We all brothers. All own Odyssey. We eat same lunch, ride different school bus, go to different school together.
    Glad all like choice of Honda/ DC van they buy. Too bad wives not think you and brother funny.
    Does brother own minivan ?
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    I just saw a non-beige Odyssey. And no, whammy, it wasn't the rare and valuable dvbp
    Honda come in so many color, confuse PT Cruiser driver ? Now only two color, "beige" and "not biege" .
  • steelengsteeleng Posts: 71
    pat84 - No my brother does not own a van. As a matter of fact, he and his wife both own Honda Civics. My sister does have a '93 Plymouth Grand Voyageur. She now has about 130,000 miles on it with no major problems (still has the original tranny) and her kids are not easy on that van. As a matter of fact the biggest problem they had was when their 4 year old stole the keys and backed the van out of the garage and T-boned their neighbors truck. :(

rbell2 - I'm glad to hear that you got good service from your '96, especially since that was one of DC's most problematic years. It sounds like you got a good deal on your new van. I wouldn't mind having the DVD entertainment system. I originally thought the power liftgate was a waste of money but it seems that most women that I talk to like the idea as they are generally smaller and have a harder time reaching up and pulling the gate down. I guess that I am lucky that it is not a big deal to my wife as our van doesn't have any of the power doors.
  • 4aodge4aodge Posts: 288
    Yesterday my family and I took a road trip from the Bay Area to Humbolt County in our Town & Country, which performed very nicely the entire way. The 3.3 V6 did just fine climbing the hills through the giant red wood forrests on highway 101 going north. I was shocked to see the owner of a Honda Odyssey LX broken down on the side of the road with the hood up and her emergency lights flashing. It could not have been any older than a 1999 and yes, you guessed it, it was that horrible, boring gray color. Maybe she forgot to change her oil or maybe Honda quality and reliability isnt all it's cracked up to be, at least with the Odyssey.
  • Looked at 2003 Caravan and Grand Caravan minivans today. The 3.8L V6 is now offered on the Grand Caravan Sport and has an EPA rating of 18 City 25 Highway....the same rating as the 3.5L V6 of 2002 Odyssey.
    Meanwhile, the 2003 Grand Caravan SE with 3.3L V6 has EPA rating of 19 City 26 Highway while the 2003 Caravan SE with 2.4L 4 cyl has EPA rating of 21 City 27 Highway.
    Will be interesting to see if EPA ratings of other minivans has also increased for 2003.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Kind of jumping to conclusions aren't ya. Maybe she had a DC van stuck in her grill and it overheated or a piece of a DC van fell off in the road and she hit it. Who knows why she had the hood up. Unless you stopped, you just don't know, and I could be right.
    You claim DC is so great. Now I see they are recalling all PT Cruisers for fuel leaks. Can't they make anything that don't leak fuel. Of course I guess that could be one way of selling more vehicles than Honda. Burn them up so the insurance companies have to replace them. At least the Odyssey wasn't on fire.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    From NHTSA (National Highway Saftey Administration) " Honda is recalling 1.3 MILLION 1997-2000 Honda Accords, Civics, Preludes, CR-Vs and Odysseys and 1999 Acura TLs and 1997-1999 CLs to replace an ignition switch that can cause the engine to stall. I'm amazed at how uninformed some Odyssey owner / posters are!
    You certainly don't put your hood up for any other reason than something has gone wrong or is about to go wrong with your car. The fact she had her emergency lights on, her hood up, and was talking to someone on her cell phone sugguest something was wrong with her car. Or I could be wrong and she likes the way her already ugly Odyssey looks with its hood up on the side of the freeway.

As for the PT Cruiser recall, no PT Cruisers have "blown up" as a result of faulty part. There have been no death and no injuries and no known incidents or problems that have been reported as a result of the fuel line. Those are the facts. You claim Honda is so great. Yet we both know Odyssey quality and reliablity is not up to par. The woman I saw who was probably BROKEN DOWN on the side of the road only further proves that point.
    I bet all the 1999 and 2000 Odyssey owners are saying to themselves, "OH MY GOD, MY WONDERFUL, PERFECT, RELIABLE ODYSSEY IS BEING RECALLED!?!??!?! THIS CANNOT BE!!!!"

Interesting, I have a 2000 Town & Country which has not been recalled for anything and is doing just fine with 48k miles...
  • dave210dave210 Posts: 238
    There was the "O-ring fuel line" recall on all 1996-2000 minivans if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully, you've been informed and can get that fixed. Just giving you the 411.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the Ody drivers were saying just that 4adodge, I can attest to the fact that the Cruiser Drivers are saying it about the fuel pump recall. The fuel line recall is a different matter, the PT Owners were aware that a certain number of 2001 fuel lines were incorrectly routed and wearing. Chrysler is reacting quickly to that one, the NHTSA has just opened the investigation and already Chrysler is correcting the problem. Both PT recalls are supposed to be quick and easy to correct.
    Why didn't you stop and offer assitance to the young lady ? Perhaps she would have appreciated it. BTW I think that 99 Odysseys are not part of the recall.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,407
    I guess this is more appropriate for the Social Issues board, but, sad to say, these days a guy stopping to help a lone woman driver is likely to make her more uncomfortable than waiting for the tow driver.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Maybe the young lady was cooking on the manifold of her Odyssey.

See this link

http://members.tripod.com/~viningM/manifold.JPG

She may have been on her cell phone telling her family that dinner would be ready in 5 minutes.

A good place to buy cigarettes...so I hear anyway.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 491
    Did Honda offer 24-hour roadside help? Oh that's right Honda makes such a great auto that their cars/vans would never have any problems on the road... 4adodge, you should be glad you didn't stop to help that lady, she could be up for something. Once you stopped, 14 guys who were hiding in the cargo area would jump out and rob you.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 491
    ...and of course the Honda owners here would said they took all your money but didn't take your van because it is a DC van.
    There have been over fifteen posts in plain non-broken English. That must be some kind of record.
    Well, whambam broke the streak before I could even comment on it.
    Not to mention that 4aodge is less childish than some posters around here....

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I wish you would take notice of exactly how this forum degenerates. First 4adodge makes a snide remark about " the ugly gray colored" Honda broken down on the side of the road. Followed by tomtomtom's 2 consecutive sarcastic posts denigrating Honda.
    And you talk about maturity.
    Talk cheap.
    Somehow I don't think that 2 posts denigrating Honda even count as a drop in the bucket in comparison to the posts denigrating DC on this board. I actually thought that tomtomtom's second post was right on concerning the type of comment that would be received. By the way, that post did not denigrate Honda, it denigrated Honda posters.
    Please pardon my frustration - not much useful information has been passed back in forth in here in recent weeks, save the odd gem.

Steve
    Host

The bottom line...

Honda Owners like the Odyssey

DC owners like the DC vans

Each has good and bad features

It took 1542 posts to get that far.
    And to complete that thought, you all should have bought MPVs. Ok, now that we got that, let's shut this topic down.
This discussion has been closed.