Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• 4aodge4aodge Posts: 288
    The Ford Windstar redesign a few years ago was a total copy of the 1996-2000 DC models. Everything from the dash to the door handles were coppied. Too bad DC still sells twice as many vans as Ford does.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    So the Windstar does look like the DC van, my whole point.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    The Windstar AND the DC both look like a pot bellied pig. My whole point
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    And to some of us Odyssey's look like slab sided school buses. Thats why they wont paint them yellow! I'm adding fuel to the fire!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,140
    "Stylish Minivan" is somewhat of an oxymoron. Maybe you'd like a VW Bus better?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• maple49maple49 Posts: 66
    My opinion on looks (you know what they say about opinions). Odyssey best looking van hands down. Looks aggressive and sporty especially with splash guards. Mazda MPV is a close second. Could improve by making a little wider (looks top heavy from the back). T&C is nice looking but a little boring. Dodge very boring (looks like a jelly bean). Windstar looks OK in solid colors (two-tone looks tacky). Sedona is not bad looking (looks like the older Windstars). GM vans are ugly and I won't even comment on the Toyota
    That's the funnies thing I've heard all week. The Odyssey looks like big box. Plain and simple. The front and sides are ok but the back is hideous. Too bad 240 horses has to be put under such a boaring, lifeless design.

Pat, Ford did copy much of the design of the 1999-2000 DC minivans but I've never had a hard time telling a Windstar from a Caravan. Yes, Ford coppied, but not that much.
  • xafxaf Posts: 37
    Check out the ugliest one in the world, coming soon to north america

http://www.olderdriver.com/new_page_5.htm

If you want styling and smooth ride buy a car, if you want to haul kids and stuff buy a van.

All the minivans look basically the same (except the Multipla). You can't create a great look with a box on wheels. All you can do is buy the color you like.

Yes, the early VW busses ruled, especially those with the clerestory windows. The more modern ones are slab sided monstrosities
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    You mean they are still in business? They have came to America a few times and left since all they make is junk.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    If you reread your own post #1590, you said that DC minivans were clones of Windstars. By definition, that means that DC copied Ford.

Obviously that is not the case and now you seem to be agreeing that Ford copied DC.

So do we both agree that Ford and all the other manufacturers in the minivan market have been using Chrysler/DaimlerChrysler as the one to copy, and that until only recently, all of them have fallen far short?
    I like the "Espace" type of van like that Fiat. Tall, boxy 5 seaters. The 5 speed manual tranny would be a plus too (I think - it's been 4 years now since I had a stick).

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    VW is bringing back the bus, the vultures weren't buying the yellow bug thing. The new (old) bus looks more like a "twinkie"
    Car and Driver used to calculate how many cases of soft drinks a van could have. Which van would hold the most Twinkies?
    I believed that I mentioned "Van" I have already had pointed out to me that nobody but me would accept the microvan designation for the PT Cruiser.

Anyways, I think any of the vehicles would hold more twinkies than I could reasonably eat in a day.
  • bdaddybdaddy Posts: 171
    Had the pleasure of taking my ugly, box-like, drab coloured Ody on a trip this past week. For those of you who have never felt a Honda inspired 240 hp VTEC kick in (ahemmm, Adam) let me just say... awesome. I was behind a guy doing 45 on a two lane hwy when I kicked it down a bit when it was safe to pass. The tranny dropped down a gear or two and the VTEC kicked in - man the van haulz you know what. Whammy's right - it turns pretty tight too. Complaints so far - none.

Hayneldan - you're big into facts. I also do a bit of research in my job. Very dangerous to draw correlations from web chat rooms. Not a very valid source of accurate statistical information. Do you really think that because the Honda Problems board has more posts in it than the DC Problems board, one can infer that Honda has more problems with their vans (statistically speaking)?
  • dave210dave210 Posts: 237
    I gotta admit, while I like then engine in my T&C, it is fun to drop the pedal in my son's Civic EX and watch the tac rev and the car's engine litterally kick in and zoom off.

Honestly, I like Honda and even the styling doesn't bother me. They just need to add an ultra luxury edition and I'd get it.

But since they don't, the MDX will soot my needs fine.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Odyssey carry more Twinkie in magic well than Crkeehn PTC carry whole car

What would be even better Honda could put a PTC behind the 3rd seat like Cadillac does with the EXT truck, and then hook a towbar to the DC van and pull it behind it like they used to do in the Ford/Chevy truck ad's.
    "For those of you who have never felt a Honda inspired 240 hp VTEC kick in (ahemmm, Adam) let me just say... awesome."

After reading that exhilarating post the blood is rushing through my veins and my heart is pounding! How so much I yearn to drive a boxy, boring, ugly Honda Odyssey with a 12k red line RPM VTEC engine!!!

I'm no stranger to VTEC. My friends Honda Accord coupe is fun to drive. But you have to floor it and rev all the way to 6.5k RPMs to get any real power. That's not the case in my van...

If you want to talk about having fun driving a MINIVAN, Id much rather have a Grand Caravan ES with the Autostick transmission, heavy-duty suspension, 17 inch chrome wheels, and torquey 3.8 V6 over the drab tin can they call the Odyssey.
  • rms41rms41 Posts: 80
    Adam,
    I'm starting to get concerned about you. When I was your age (about 43 years ago as I'm 60) it was very uncool to like any vehicle that had more than 2 doors. Sure, I had to drive dad's big ol' mercury with four doors until I could afford my own first car, a '56 Ford Victoria coupe. But it wasn't cool. You should be hanging out in a forum for Mustangs or Sebrings or maybe, dare I say it, an Accord coupe :).
    ALL minivans are boring (but useful).
    Richard
    DC owners not like Ody rear end so much. Maybe see too many from behind and grow tired of view. Torquey 3.8 no match for VTEC. No need to push 6.5K to get response. Maybe should drive before critique eh?
  • Nope, to imply that would put me in the category of some uninformed posters. The title of my post was "Interesting data" Posters should read both boards to read what both owners are saying about their vans. Just trying to get a little "balance" on this board, since some Odyssey owners do nothing but knock the DC products with little or no automotive knowledge.
    I don't need you or anyone else to tell me where I'm supposed to be. But since you have taken it upon yourself to do so, I'll respond in kind. At the old ago of 60 I'd think you should be in the Buick and Cadillac message boards instead of here with the minivans. Say, what do you think of that sporty 2003 Park Avenue?
    Please, tell me what advanced automotive knowledge I lack that I absolutely need to make legitimate comments here in the MINIVANS message boards. Please tell me, because I'm dying to know. What great knowledge do you posses about cars that makes your opinion so smart and credible? I ask this because I know more about automobiles than about half of the people who buy cars, and I'd be pretty comfortable saying the same about most other people here on these boards.
    Don't feed the trolls, Adam :-)

Steve
    Host

In a beltway traffic Jam, the Odyssey and the DC van are all moving the same speed. Add a fender bender on the side and the Odyssey and DC van are NOT moving at the same speed.
  • rms41rms41 Posts: 80
    I wasn't trying to be nasty. I just thought it odd for someone of your age to have such a fascination for minivans. BTW, my current vehicle is a Pilot (too many doors but useful). My previous two cars were a '99 Accord coupe and a '93 Dodge Stealth. I still believe the best looking vehicles have two doors but I gave in to practicality and got the Pilot. As far as Buicks and Cadillacs go, I'm still too young (the average age of buyers of those two is even older than me!). I've been checking this board because my daughter is shopping for a minivan.
    Richard
    Wow! Feeling a little defensive these days. Automotive knowledge, or lack there of, comes from many sources. Industry publications, trade shows, television programs, etc. I'm glad you are so confident in your automotive prowess but I hardly think you have a great deal of practical, first hand experience in evaluating automobiles based purely on your age. This is not a knock against you, just a fact. You continually boast about the superiority of your DC minivan, yet you have driven how many of the competition's vehicles (driven, not driven in)? Just wondering what the basis of your comparison is as I have from the start.
  • mliongmliong Posts: 231
    I declare everyone's argument in this thread baseless and irrelevant. Get a real minivan - the KIA Sedona! Muahahahahaha!!!

Legal Disclaimer: Poster of this message is not a KIA owner, nor does he endorse the purchase, use, or viewing of said vehicle. KIA Sephia is a registered trademark of KIA, Korea, and should not be mistakenned for a Ford Windstar.
    Your right that I probably don't know as much about automobiles as you do. But I would be willing to bet I could find about a dozen teenage friends who are my age that know alot more about cars than you do. Age isn't anything but a number...
This discussion has been closed.