Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• ody01ody01 Posts: 100
    Chrysler Caravan many repeat buyer. Caravan still sell most.
    Magic Seat, most space luggage, most power, almost best gas mileage reason got Odyssey. Chrysler and Odyssey both good minivan.
  • hersbirdhersbird Posts: 323
    My brother has a very loaded out (Canada model) 96 Grand Voyager LE with about 90,000 miles on it right now. He is currently using it towing a 3500 pound camping trailer, and a full load in the van of family stuff, for his week long vacation up and down the Oregon coast. His van's only problem in its 90,000 miles was one of the electric fans seized and he had to replace the whole assembly for $350. He had just last month went looking to replace the van and checked out all the competition. He was about ready to pull the trigger on a loaded Montana AWD with the entertainment package but decedided it was a complete dog power wise (just trying to pull itself around town let alone a trailer). The Honda was looking good but he decedied unless he was going to step up to the advantage of AWD he didn't need a new van. He'll just keep driving this one untill major problems develope and then see again what's out there. Currently only the DC AWD van fits the bill, but maybe somebody else will step up and make a big, powerful, AWD minivan besides Chrysler.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,999
    Now that I think of it, my brother has a DC minivan ('01 iirc, LOL). He just drove from TN to Maine pulling a popup camper and I don't remember him ever complaining about anything breaking down. I did a 14 hour round trip in it last year (i.e., 7 hours each way), and it was most comfy.

Guess I better ask him how it's running :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jmezzjmezz Posts: 36
    can anyone advise on lease price for 36 --39 month lease, zero cap cost, 15k per yr on ex model listing for roughly 28,000? dealer in nj wanted a crazy 565 per month
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Gee, I bet you could buy it for less a month than that and sell it at the end of 39 months and be way ahead.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    The problem DC has is the only thing the consume has to go on as far reliability and customer service is what the compnay did in the past. So if a van was unreliable in the 1996, it affect our decision today. Honda has a reputation for quality and reliability that has been earned over the pst 3 decades. You can't thro it out the window jsut because it's a new model year and the company says it's improved it;s quality. The proof is in the driving and it takes years to get rid of a bad reputaion. That is what DC is fightin right now with it's minivans. Yes they are still the best selling minivans but each year they are loosin g market share.

Don't get me wrong. the DC vans are very nice but they have to improve their reliability. Look at the Windstar. Great van but horrible reputation.
  • 4aodge4aodge Posts: 288
    Reputations change just like everything else. Some change for the worse and some for the better. This one is changing for the better. Who cares what other people supposedly think about past reliability and quality. If the new products are solid and run well, thats good enough for me. Our 1998 Grand Caravan had 70k trouble free miles when we traded it in on our new 2000 Town & Country which is even better, in every respect.

As for sales, Dodge Caravan sales were up for the month of May.
  • ody01ody01 Posts: 100
    Think Honda reputation still better than Chrylser but Chrylser much better reputation last few years. Kia much better reputation. GM reputation also improved.
    Ford, Toyota (and even Honda) reputation worse in last few years. Ford 3.8L V6 head gasket problem and many Explorer problem. Toyota sludge problem 3.0L V6. Honda not many problem but 1999 Odyssey reputation not good as other Honda.
    No problem yet my 2001 Odyssey.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    My 1996 Dodge Caravan had 70,000 trouble free miles, too. Unfortunately, I kept it until it had 72,000 miles on it.
    If we only knew, we could be millionaires.
    lol, my van has 67,777k on it now. You guys are making me nervous...

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    DC is extending the offer for the 7yr/100k powertrain. It seems to have a lot of small print. Does anyone know the exact terms of this warranty?
  • jt23jt23 Posts: 1
    Purchased my 96 Grand Voyager two years ago with 70k on it from a dealer. Two weeks into my ownership the A/C went out. Long story short - A/C has been a problem ever since and entire system (compressor, condenser, evaporator, transducer and o-rings) have all been replaced TWICE in the last two years. In addition, I have had to replace the starter, ignition, front & rear brakes, central processor, crankshaft sensor, and the EGR valve all since April 2000. After $5000 of repairs in 24 months I am finally dumping this lemon and am eager to receive my '02 Odyssey. For STEVE - HOST - get rid of your Chrysler NOW - it all starts at 70. And I'm one of the lucky ones - I haven't had to replace my trany - yet.
    Actually I put 90,000 miles on my '89 Voyager over ten years. Now I'm driving a Quest and when it goes 80 or 90 thousand miles without a big ticket item breaking, I might consider it reliable (the Voyager ate a few head gaskets). So far so good though -- sure hope you have better luck with your next van!

Steve
    Host

• mrnimmomrnimmo Posts: 271
    and you consider it reliable? How many trannies did it eat?
    I agree, unless he had the worlds worst mechanic.
    The Voyager ate 3 headgaskets and stranded me a few times (usually at 20 below ). It wasn't reliable but was ok until around 50k miles (come to think of it, that's about the time my great mechanic decided to move to Seattle on me). Tranny never hiccupped on it.

The Quest is doing fine and that's the one I might consider reliable - assuming it keeps going like it's going; nary a problem worth writing home about yet. It rolled over 68,000 miles today, so I've got another year or so to go before crowning it "reliable". Sorry for the confusing sentence structure above :-).

Steve
    Host

• steelengsteeleng Posts: 71
    I find Steve's head gasket problem intriguing. His van goes 50k miles with no problem and then loses 3 head gaskets in 40k miles. This reminds me of an earlier post from someone who had their first brake pads last something like 30k miles (not sure on the number) and then had pads failing every couple thousand miles after that. I would say that stories like this make me wary of the service work being done on some of these vehicles.

When I was young and broke and first started doing my own repair work I lost the clutch on a little truck that I drove. I replaced the clutch but I did not go to the effort or expense of getting the flywheel ground. Needless to say, I eventually learned that you need to sweat the details on repairs like that or you will be doing it again a lot sooner than you would like.

I guess that what I am saying is that if something fails and the repair does not last at least as long as the original then their is good reason to believe that either lower quality parts were used or the repair did not fully restore the vehicle to its original condition as it should have. Unfortunately, repeated failures are not good for us owners but they are a wonderful thing for mechanics (as long as they make it past the garage warranty).
    Good point - I had the 7/70 warranty on the Voyager so the dealer did most of the work on the engine. (Dealer ate most of the cost of the 3rd head gasket job at 77,000 miles). I think the dealer "fix" for warped heads was to grind them down in place, which may have just been a quick fix vs removing them and sending them to a machine shop.

Steve
    Host

This discussion has been closed.