Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    I see over in the Ody prices paid board, people are still paying at or just a little below MSRP for their new Ody. As long as they keep supplies tight, this will continue.

Do you really think you are getting your value paying that much for an ODY when you could get huge discounts on the much more available and discount priced DC product line?

Dmatthews3, you will certainly unpad your billfold even more quickly buying at near MSRP for your ODY.

Only those who lease or trade every 2-3 years will come out ahead of the DC option. And anyone who leases or trades every 2-3 years is blowing cash on depreciation no matter whose van they buy.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    There is a discussion on the Strategic Visions Total Quality Award on the News and Views Board. The Honda Odyssey Took first for the Vans, the Kia Sedona got a third. The DC vans were "also ran".

The PT Cruiser took the Compact category for the second straight year, the VW Golf was a third year winner in the Mini category
  • maple49maple49 Posts: 66
    I try Ody01 speak. Odyssey EX-L at MSRP of $28,700. Comparable T&C is LXi with Edmund's TMV of $30,260. Where savings? I only wait 7 weeks for Odyssey. Could have had sooner but no rush. LXi have some features over Honda, Honda have other features over LXi. Honda good deal at MSRP. Some Honda dealers charge more. Those dealers bad. I think Ody01 really Cookie Monster.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 491
    Dealer was willing to sell the Navigator at $1500 over the invoice (even I special order one). I think I could get them down to $500 if I tried. Oh well, I guess they added $15000 into the invoice
  • bdaddybdaddy Posts: 171
    Careful with numbers on DC trade. Ford make $17,000 margin on Expidition (say neighbor, a Ford service manager). Leave much room for generous trade. Margin on other cars nill (Taurus).

Honda and Toyota margin spread move even. Mean less room for negotiate. Why buy DC just cuz get more money off? If TC sticker for $40,000 and I buy for $28,000 I feel better cuz I get good deal? Must be reason for deep discount. How dealership to make up margin - service and warranty work? Why buy Seiko watch for $100. Timex tell time just as good for $25. Odyssey compare to DC Caraven EX - made to compete on price and features. Used to be no discount, pay sticker price. Still that way?
  • ody01ody01 Posts: 100
    Looked all minivans. Chrysler most nice feature but small engine, no Magic Seat. Odyssey Magic Seat, most space 7 people and luggage, most power, almost best gas mileage. GM minivan nice 8 passenger cost too much. Ford Windstar nice not reliable, cost too much. Sienna too small cost too much, Quest/Villager nice but small like Sienna. Sedona not made April 2001.
    Got 2001 Odyssey EX after much comparing. Sedona now first choice: same size engine Odyssey, 5 speed automatic, longest warranty. Odyssey and Chrysler tie #2 choice.
  • whambamwhambam Posts: 37
    ... are often stupefyingly mind-boggling, and defy any rationale appealing to logic and common sense.

The marketing types who establish the DC and Honda MSRP's, dealer incentives, dealer margins, holdbacks, and special spiffs are often lost in their own fog of computer printout research and their personal notions of what will make the "typical" customer respond.

Edmunds readers, by and large, are not typical customers.
  • Hi Folks. Carleton1 was banned from posting. I have read with great interest the postings in the Town Hall after being "banned" but could NOT post for reason stated above.
    YES...The Odyssey LX was our first choice in March 1999 and we placed a $500 deposit on a $23,615 MSRP Granite Green Odyssey LX March 16, 1999 at Ken Garff Honda.
    Inasmuch as we wanted to travel before the 5 months waiting list time, we purchased our 2nd choice 1999 GC SE on March 20, 1999 for $22,590 with a very nice $4900 discount off the $27,490 MSRP.
    We had zero problems until a coolant leak at 35,002 miles which was fixed the next day under warranty at NO COST to us.
    Our 2nd daughter needed a 2nd vehicle so we offered to sell her the exceptionally nice 1999 GC SE and get a new 2002 minivan. The Honda dealer would not order one without a NON-refundable $500 deposit. Complete satisfaction with our 1999 GC SE was compelling reason to buy a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country on January 26, 2002 trading in the 1999 GC SE which was immediately purchased from the dealer by our daughter and her husband. Had an Odyssey LX in Havasu Blue been available on January 26 we would have purchased a 2002 Honda Odyssey LX since we feel the Chrysler T&C eL at $24,330 MSRP gives equal value to a Honda Odyssey LX at $24,690 MSRP. Each has unique, very nice features.
    We have had zero problems in the 2002 Chrysler T&C eL in 8040 miles and it has delivered an AVERAGE 23.0 MPG at last refill at 7881 miles.
    YES. My sister has a 2001 Odyssey EX that I drive frequently as she and her husband have me bring it home from the airport and drive it back to pick them up when they fly to various places all over the USA. Both vans drive nicely, are very quiet, perform well, and my wife and I would be just as happy with a Honda Odyssey as we were with our 1999 GC SE and now our 2002 T&C eL. I am the former Carleton1 who was banned and got a new Town Hall ID after getting permission from Edmunds.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,042
    Gee, that's not the way Karen_host and I remember it...

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Carleton1 banned? Well, sorta.

What actually happened was that Carleton1 had a beguiling way of pulling Odyssey owners' chains, resulting in multiple flame battles throughout the Odyssey threads.

As a result, the very patient and slow-to-censor Karen, driven nuts ... ummm, ... to an angered state by the constant battles, banned Carleton1 from posting in Odyssey fora. He was not banned from Town Hall.

Whambam: Unofficial Historian, Town Hall
    I am going to print this one out and show it to the dealer. I will then demand a $15000 below invoice purchase price for the 03 Navigator. Welcome back Carleton...I meant chryslervan1
  • 4aodge4aodge Posts: 288
    I wish the people on this board who are not making fun of Ody01 would cut it out. I doubt he is just typing like that for no good reason. Especially considering he has what I think to be a Korean flag on most of his posts. Some people like Ody01 might use translators on other web sites like Babbel Fish to translate posts in their native language to English so that we can understand them. Messages posted in "broken" English are better than no posts at all. And even if this is not the case, it makes it alot harder to understand what people are saying when everyone is trying to type in "Ody01 speak."

We loaded up the family of six in the Town & Country today for a little college road trip. We drove a total of 210 miles and visited Santa Clara University and UC Santa Cruz which was alot of fun. Anyway, the 3.3 V6, despite only having 158 horses, did a fine job of climbing the steep and winding hills leading down to Santa Cruz. Our top speed was 87mph on a straight away and the van felt just fine at that speed w/ 6 passengers and A/C.

The Infinity 10 Acoustic system is perfect for long trips and keeps the car rockin'. There was never a moment of silence!
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    Please look first sentence. You want those NOT making fun to stop.
    I had Infinity sound system in 96 Dodge Grand Caravan. Honda sound system not as good.
    I rent many DC short version van many times. One time Sport Version. Short version van handle much better traffic Honda and Grand Caravan. No Infinity sound system rental DC van. Sound not so good Honda.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    87 miles an hour with 6 people in the van sounds like a accident waiting to happen. I guess since you said loaded the family into the van that dad was driving. Not to smart. A quick way to wipe out a whole generation. You should have a talk with him.
    On another note I too will start making fun of Ody01 as you have requested :-))
  • bdaddybdaddy Posts: 171
    Great sound system not so important in a minivan. Minivan for families with kids. Not talking on trips while loud music blaring reason for disintegration of American family.

As for looks, Honda van have nice body lines, look nice. DC van look like box the Ford Focus comes in. 4adodge, I not laugh at ody01, I laugh with him.

Tomtom - Ford margin is factory margin. They get it as soon as the truck is shipped off to the dealer. You'll not tap into in save for dealer incentives, holdbacks and special spiffs. My point is that just because they offered you $25K in trade for your van, don't think you have somehow managed to avoid the infamous DC depreciation curve. Glad you are happy with your deal on the Navigator - that's the only thing that matters.
  • pat84pat84 Posts: 817
    New DC van look like Ford Windstar. First time I see thought Ford Windstar. Drove rental Windstar once. Had only 7 Miles when pat84 rent. Has most leg room for driver. Steering very sloppy. Good acceleration. Odyssey and DC much better overall. Better steering / handling than Ford.
  • ody01ody01 Posts: 100
    Thanks good post. Understand English but not write or speak good English. Easier learn new language young person move United States than when over 30 years old move here.
    Think dangerous drive 87 mph even nice Chrysler or Odyssey. Hope your van have very good tire. Glad no accident at high speed.
    Disagree pat84. Sedona most look like Windstar. Chrysler minivan nicer look than Windstar. Odyssey van look different all minivan.
    Sedona most look like Windstar but better: larger standard V6, 5 speed automatic, much better warranty.
    Oh well, I guess I will pay the invoice price then. I think I am going to keep the T&C and just throw in wife's bimmer.

I don't see the Windstar looks anything like the DC van. Yes, Ody look very different than the other minivans out there but it doesn't mean that's good ---> Pontiac' Azteck
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    you are still my hero man. There is something about those guys named Joe...never trust their crazy antics.
    for man just come to country not know good English. "Joe Brakish" sound much like name Odyssey old-timer. If take off Bra, have same name.

Odyssey much more class van than Sedona. Have very solid name Honda behind product. Sedona likely have only tow truck behind product.
This discussion has been closed.