Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I prefer having the spare tired stored inside the left rear of the minivan as in the 2005 Odyssey over the difficult to access location of the 2005 DC minivans with Stow and Go.
    The extra cargo space at the rear with "fold-into-the-floor" 3rd row seating is NOT worth the inconvenience of placing the spare underneath the van where it is now located with Stow and Go.
    Four adults and 2 children can travel in our 2002 T&C and take ALL the luggage, clothes, and snacks that are needed for long trips. Additionally, all 7 seating positions in my 2002 T&C LX are comfortable for adults.
    I think Honda was stupid to put the antenna in the rear side window where the reception is compromised.
  • denver5357denver5357 Posts: 319
    After reading this Edmunds thread and others since December, I realized today that I could tell who posted sometimes simply by what was posted - without looking at the names. I picked up marine2 and Hans' posts right away. :D
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    You are now a fully annointed Forums junkie! Welcome to the club!! ;)
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    You buy your van for the things your going to use it for. If your buying a van only to carrry people, it makes little difference what you buy. If that were the case, I would probably by a Honda if the price was right. I know I 'll use mine for more than hauling people, so there is only one choice for me, Stow and Go.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Toyota Sienna first. The Chrysler/Dodge twins tied for second. Odyssey not one of the top ones. Not listed in the summary press release.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,781
    Except the first 90 days is hardly an indicator of long term reliability.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I disagree. It may not be a tell all indicator. But, initial quality is more a factor of long term reliability than any other indicator...at least on an individual vehicle case.
    It seems most people who have reported :lemon: have problems within that first 90 day period.
    Jipster is correct. Almost all my bad vehicles had problems very soon after they were purchased. Same with my best friend's vehicles.
    Very few vehicles that have no problems in first 90 days ever turn out to be lemons. :lemon:
    As on its passenger cars, Honda tuned that suspension tightly. The vocal engine, decent tire grip, and busy ride quality make it feel connected to the road, and the turning radius is nearly as tight as a sedan's. Like the Accord it's based on, the Odyssey gives the feeling that it can be tossed around corners a bit. Taking it up on the offer ruins the illusion, however, mostly because the capsizing feeling that comes with any aggressive turn reminds you of how high you're perched. That, plus too-slow steering, plus the Odyssey's not-so-mini measurements, make mountain runs a nervous affair. It's probably best to be content with the Odyssey's feel in the city, and best to keep it there.
    Is grossly overused in these forums. A new car with a rattle, as an example, is hardly a lemon.
  • 05ody05ody Posts: 103
    Hey everyone, I just bought my 2005 Honda Odyssey EX, Slate grey pearl with beige interior.I look at every minivan avauable, and it came down to the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, and Dodge Caravan. The Sienna was comfortable, The Dodge was unique, ad the Odyssey was just perfect. Best performer and road and handles like a car. I did like the idea of the Stow N go but my uncle perviouslly rented one and when I tried to fold it into the ground, it would stop halfway as if it was stuck. I dont know if there is another button or something, but I couldnt figure it out. Also when the van is in park and you open a door, are the hazzord lights supposed to go on? are the doors supposed to lock while you have already been driving for about 1 minute? and I need to ask why does the one headlight go out when you use the signal lights? for example when we used the left turn signal , the left headlight turned off. But as soon as the signal light turned off, the headlight turned back on. I found that weird and I dont know if these are normal or if there is something wrong. Would someone be able to tell me? :confuse:
    I did like the idea of the Stow N go but my uncle perviouslly rented one and when I tried to fold it into the ground, it would stop halfway as if it was stuck. I dont know if there is another button or something, but I couldnt figure it out.

It had to be stuck. Mine fold into the floor in one continual motion.

Also when the van is in park and you open a door, are the hazzord lights supposed to go on?

Yes they are. That warns cars approching that someone maybe exiting the doors.

are the doors supposed to lock while you have already been driving for about 1 minute?

Doors are programed to lock after a certain speed. About 27mph. Another safety feature.

and I need to ask why does the one headlight go out when you use the signal lights?

There not suppose to. It has to be a defect. Rental car?
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Posts: 421
    Also, remember that rental cars are abused. So you can't really get a clear picture about the functionality of the features or how reliable the vechicle is. My advice would have been, at that time before your purchase, to test drive a new model of each van to make a fare comparison. You could have had the answer to all of your questions from a sales rep. Enjoy your new 05 Ody. :shades:
    That makes it the "Best Buy" for you. ;) I like the 2005 Odyssey EX cloth but there are some features included on my 2002 T&C LX that are not available on the 2005 Odyssey EX:
    # 1. Heating coils at base of windshield.
    # 2. Overhead console with compass/outside temperature and trip computer.
    # 3. 7 year /100,000 mile powertrain warranty.
    # 4. Omni-directional mast radio antenna for better reception.
    # 5. Lighted controls for power windows and power door locks on both front doors.
    # 6. Automatic locking power doors.
    # 7. Power rear side windows that open at the rear.

There are things about the 2005 Odyssey EX that I like that are not on my 2002 T&C LX:
    # 1. 60/40 Split fold-into-the-floor 3rd row seating.
    # 2. 8 passenger seating.
    # 3. Flat floor for driver and front passenger foot space.
    # 4. Cast wheels.
    # 5. 5 Speed AT for better performance.
    # 6. Fore and aft movement of 2nd row seats.
    # 7. Shoulder belt for middle passenger of 3rd row seating.
    And items on the Odyssey EX that I do not want or do not need: :confuse:
    # 1. Power sliding side doors.
    # 2. Power roll down windows in sliding side doors.
  • daedae Posts: 143
    That makes it the "Best Buy" for you

Strange how your first list contains useless doodads, while the second - mojor engineering features. :)
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Posts: 421
    I'd hardly call the list on hansienna's list "useless doodads" for their 2002 T&C minivan. What is important to you might not be that important to others. Out of the list of things that hans. listed for the 2005 Ody. that's not on the 2002 T&C, I like No. 7 only. #1 is preferred but not needed since we have a 50/50 split 3rd row fold and tumble forward bench. #2 we only have six in our family, so we don't need an 8th seat. #3 not sure what is ment by this. #4 we have case aluminum rims. #5 Our 4 speed AT works just fine with smooth shift points. #6 nice feature, but we have enough space in both the 2nd and 3rd row without needing to move the seats fore/aft. #7 we don't have a head rest or shoulder belt for the middle 3rd row seat. :shades:
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    2005 Odyssey EX vs 2005 DGC SXT
    Both have 60/40 rear seats that fold into floor
    Both have cast wheels
    Both have 2nd row seats that have fore and aft adjustment
    Odyssey has 7 1/2 passenger seating
    Odyssey has 3rd row shoulder belts for center seat
    Odyssey has 5 speed transmission
    Odyssey has roll down second seat windows (which can't be used in motion because of buffeting noise due to loss of power rear side windows)
    Caravan has stow and go seating and more underfloor storage
    Caravan has rear power windows
    Flat floor? DGC has more front passenger knee room
    Caravan has automatic locking doors
    Caravan SXT has power tailgate
    Excellent comparison.
    Interesting how Ody lovers consider superior features of the DC minivans as doodads. Odyssey owners appear to feel insecure to have paid more money to have an Odyssey that is not as quiet as the GC/T&C and lacks many comfort and convenience features of the GC/T&C.
  • dave210dave210 Posts: 238
    I'd say the present GC/T&C are on par with the Odyssey.

The 2005 vans don't have heating coils for the windshield, most don't have auto leveling suspension unless you get the towing package, most of the interior switches don't light up anymore, the trip computer has been dumbed down, the aluminum wheels on the T&C Limiteds feel and look like cheap shiny plastic, the 7 year warranty is gone after 2005, and the side windows in the middle don't roll down like the Honda, Toyota, and Mazda.

After having 3 Chrysler minis from 1988 to 2003, I can tell you it would have been far more appreciated if we had middle windows that rolled down vs. the now lame vent windows. But I do agree the buffeting could be problem, so the Sienna wins because it has both roll down windows and pop out vent windows.

Aside from the stow and go seating, the 2001-2002 vans seemed to have a much higher quality/content interior/exterior when compared to the late 2003-2005 vans due to all the de-contenting Chrysler has done.

If you’re on a budget, the Chrysler make a lot of sense, but for someone like me that usually gets their cars loaded, the Toyota and Honda just have so much more quality and techno gadgets when compared to even the T&C Limited (a.k.a. backup camera, laser cruise control, wood steering wheel, xenon lights, front and rear park assist, etc.)

I’ll be interested to see how the 2007 Chrysler vans turn out because they’re sure to have a much updated interior and new engine and transmission choices that should make them very competitive again in addition to the innovated stow and go seating, which I’m sure will get tweaks, too in 2007. We shall see.
    I have noticed that superior attitude also. Although I will readily admit the Odyssey looks nicer in the inside and has a more refined engine and tranny. It is less than a second faster in the quarter mile and only gets about one mile per gallon better fuel mileage.

The GC/T&C is quieter, has a better ride, has a much better sound system, has the best sliding doors in the industry and I can't say enough of the advantage of Stow-N-Go. I am sure Stow-N-Go had to be the deciding factor in having the government buy 19,000 of those minivans over all the rest.

The versatility that Stow-N-Go gives the owner is just great. From a seven passenger carrying van, to a cargo carrying van in less than five minutes.

There is no comparing sliding a seat over a couple of inches, to being able to stow a seat completely out of the way. Such as the one mother that had the stroller. It makes the difference in her having to fold it up and lifting it in the back where she would need to put her groceries, to dropping one seat down and rolling it in the van set up, and still having the space in the back for her groceries. Stow and go gives the owner so many advantages over any other van on the market. Not to even mention the storage space one has that no other van can match. The Chrysler/DGC are people friendly in every way. From family friendly, to work horse friendly in seconds. The vans are ready to do what ever you need a van to do. That is why they will continue to out sell every other van on the market by a long shot.
    If the stow n' go seats had anything to with the government buying DC vans over anything else.

They tend to buy domestics for political reasons I believe and availability has a lot to do with it too.

I'm glad Honda chose comfortable seats instead of stow n' go but I guess to some people they can be a benefit.
    If it were just being American made and seating that the government wanted, they had a lot more to choose from than Chrysler. GM and Ford seem to come to mind. Plus Honda is made here while many of the Dodge/Chrysler minivans are made in Canada. So that can't be the reasons.

Stow -N-Go makes a lot more sense. They can carry troops one minute and carry supplies the next. Or carry a combination of the two.

Would you agree that Stow-N-Go gives you versatility that Honda and Toyota can not match? It's the most people friendly van on the market. It will do anything you would buy a van to do. From hauling kids and adults, to hauling plywood and double strollers set up. And still give you room to store toys, diaper bags, purse, and etc. out of sight.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Like virtually everything else the government purchases, they issue a set of specifications/requirements and then chose the low bid. And I'm fairly certain the set of specifications are chosen so as to NOT eliminate all of the competition (IOW - stow'n'go seating would not have been anywhere on their set of requirements because it would have eliminated all competition. You have any idea of the amount of amount of squawking Ford/GM would have done if the specs would have included something as proprietary as "stow'n'go"?).

Why should it come as some huge revelation that the DC vans would have been chosen over the Ody's (over even the Ford/GM) offerings? It all comes down to price. That doesn't necessarily equate to 'better' for the average consumer.
    "Stow -N-Go makes a lot more sense. They can carry troops one minute and carry supplies the next. Or carry a combination of the two."

Troops? TROOPS? Somehow, I doubt that the vans purchased by the GAO have one iota to do with troop hauling.
    I'm glad Honda chose comfortable seats instead of stow n' go but I guess to some people they can be a benefit.

Most of the time, there are only kids in the middle and back seats. And I am sure kids won't complain of the middle seats being a little firmer.( I haven't heard of any adults complain about my middle seats yet.) and I would stack up the front seats where adults sit, for comfort against the Honda any day.
    Troops? TROOPS? Somehow, I doubt that the vans purchased by the GAO have one iota to do with troop hauling.

"WINDSOR, Canada — The U.S. Armed Forces have ordered 19,000 minivans and 5,000 Pacificas from the Chrysler Group for use as light-duty vehicles in Iraq and elsewhere around the world, displacing less fuel-efficient Humvees, according to the Windsor Star."

The thing is, no matter what they use them for, they can do the job better than any other minivan.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    "Troops Troops...troop hauling...yada yada yada"

Well, I for one would be interested in purchasing one of these light-duty minivans from the U.S Army Surplus Store when they come back from tour. Instead of the roof rack option...you can chose the mounted machine guns option.Bulletproof glass coming standard.Of course, the only color choice available would be desert sand. Knowing the U.S Army though, they're probably be equipped without air conditioning.

I don't know about you. But, if I'm in Iraq (where oil flows like water) I'd much rather be sitting in a big powerful Humvee than some Dodge Grand Caravan with stow n go seating. :P
    I don't think they'll be using the minivans like they use the Humvee, like in patroling in combat areas. I think most will be used to transport military personal around town, in cities all over the world where they have Embassies and bases.

As for color, they are all going to be gold.

But I challege any of you to show where you can use a Honda or Toyota better than you can a Chrysler/Dodge minivan, except for hauling one more person in it. Neither is more family or work friendly, as the Chrysler/Dodge minivans.
    "The thing is, no matter what they use them for, they can do the job better than any other minivan."

If "do the job better" means "meets minimum performance specifications for the least amount of money", then I would have to agree with you. The DC vans can probably meet the government's minimum performance specifications for the least amount of money.

btw - I stand corrected re: troop hauling. I think that makes sense in most places we have troops stationed. I don't think you'll see many in northern Iraq however.
    As I mentioned before, Honda thought long and hard about putting stow n' go seats into the 2005 Odysseys. After all, they had thse in the 1995 Odysseys and certainly knew how to do this.

Instead of doing this , they made the decision to go with very comfortable seats instead. Naturally a decision like this won't please everyone.

I have sat in these twice and, like others find them to be less than comfortable. Maybe OK for a kid but I know I wouldn't want to take a long trip sitting in one of these. At our recent car show, they had tow DC vans with stow and go seats and both were broken and couldnt' even be demonstrated.

I will say, people literally beat the hell out of car show cars so this probably isn't a normal thing.

I guess if these don't just become "catch alls" filled with clutter they could be a major selling point. I would have no use for them but then, I probably wouldn't use the lazy susan in the Ody either.
This discussion has been closed.