Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

Comments

• sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Regarding the "claim" that Honda's been discounting Odys since 2005..that is totally BS.....

You're the one that claimed people were paying "sticker" for Odys early last year. If they did, they're dumber than the average bear.

I never said anything about Honda discounting (i.e. rebates) back in '05 although they did have some special financing (2.9% for 60 months) off and on in '05. They also had dealer marketing (i.e. backdoor rebate) on Odys in '06 and '07 with consumer rebates showing up mid-'07. It is a three year model now so I would expect it do show some age and require some discounting. Particularly in the flat minivan market.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    You're the one that claimed people were paying "sticker" for Odys early last year. If they did, they're dumber than the average bear.

No I didn't, they were paying sticker back in 2005 or above sticker even, last time I looked into a new car. Honda started heavily discounting Odys last fall.....it's unbelievable the discounds on them now!! Well under invoice! They must feel they have competition now to be discounting like that!!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Your post# 7434: Of course Chrysler has to be competitive now that Honda has started dumping their Odys with $3000-$4000 discounts. That can't be good for recent buyers who paid full sticker earlier last year.

What am I missing from that statement?

I paid $300 over invoice for my Ody in April of 2005. It was $31,764 for an EX-L R&N and they gave me kbb "excellent" value for my trade with little negotiation. I normally would never trade, but the offer surprised me a bit (for a full-size V8 suv at that...) and I would have needed another $1,700 from a private party just to break-even on the sales tax savings. I see the invoice on an '08 Ody identical to mine is now nearly $1,600 more than it was in '05. So even when they had $3,500 rebate/marketing support on the '07's, it's not that far off from what I paid.
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Funny how this $3K never came up in any of your previous posts since 05? Amazingly, you just remembered this great deal of your's? I'm also glad you didn't experience any of the 5 or 6 recalls and quiet numerous service alerts Honda issued on the 05s!! You are truly blessed.

As usual Dennis your wrong. I posted many times about my deal. Here is one of my posts from 2005. I really wish you had some substance with your propaganda! :P ;) As far as the recalls had the relay one done. So Honda is winning 1 recall to 3 for my 2001 Caravan. BTW I am blessed, now that I have my Ody compared to what I drove before.

link title

I do wonder why Honda is now discounting like Dodge - up to $6000 on overpriced Touring models!! and what that says about the worth of Odys? I also get embarrasing offers, just recently from Honda due to my Sam's Club request.....

What was the embarrassing offer?Did they offer you real world trade in value on your Caravan??
    So Honda is winning 1 recall to 3 for my 2001 Caravan For your particular case be it recall or discounting, you are blessed for sure! You also get EPA or better I bet, have never had a single tranny issue or any of the other major issues others have had with their Odys...again, truly blessed.

Ohh I meant it's embarrassing for Honda, to have to stoop to discounting to move vehicles! It's also embarassing for a sales person to have to send me an email trying to sell me a car (like it is for you to be contacted). God forbid someone has a job to do, and does it!

I just saw a post on here - $4000 below invoice? That is amazing, and a bargain if you're set on a Honda. I bet, being as blessed as you are, the dealer would trade you even up for a new 2008 for your 2005! Of course, discounting/dumping has no effect on Honda's resale, only other's.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Isn't this getting old?
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    I bought my 2006 Odyssey the first week of October, 2005 at about $450 over invoice or about $3,000 less than the worthless MSRP.
    My aunt paid $27,200 on a $28,495 MSRP (Ody EX) before Christmas of 2004 on her 2005 model. They were offering some discounts then as well, if not deep discounts.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    "from the people who gave you Pearl Harbor"
    In that case, maybe I won't buy a car from the northern US; since I'm southern, and we fought the north in the Civil War. Same principle you are using.

Don't forget not to buy a Bimmer, Mercedes, Audi, or VW, since they are all German (remember Hitler?). Also, no Jags, or Rolls Royce, since we fought them in the Revolutionary War.

Sorry, you're argument is a poor one here, one that helps promote racism. It also has nothing to do with the vehicles, but rather the companies. There is a section for "News and Views" which a host would probably link you to properly.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Add "Sienna - from the people who gave us Pearl Harbor".

"Chrysler - the people who built the rugged, dependable Dodge Army 3/4 truck that helped win WW II on both fronts". :shades:
    Isn't this getting old?

Yes it is, but I love that he knows I'm blessed. BTW check out my carspace got a nice pic of me putting chains on the Ody in the Sequioia's. Also a nice pic of my girl enjoying the Ody comforts!
    Ohh I meant it's embarrassing for Honda, to have to stoop to discounting to move vehicles! It's also embarassing for a sales person to have to send me an email trying to sell me a car (like it is for you to be contacted). God forbid someone has a job to do, and does it!

No there's is that bait and switch trade in crap all by mail. So no ones contacting me they're just fishing. Nice to see Honda has better sales people that are more personable.

just saw a post on here - $4000 below invoice? That is amazing, and a bargain if you're set on a Honda. I bet, being as blessed as you are, the dealer would trade you even up for a new 2008 for your 2005! Of course, discounting/dumping has no effect on Honda's resale, only other's.

Why is this so important to you?? Dodge has been doing it for 15 years you should be used to it.
    No there's is that bait and switch trade in crap all by mail. So no ones contacting me they're just fishing. Nice to see Honda has better sales people that are more personable.

Hardly....I'm out with customer yesterday at lunch and who called me on my cell, a Honda salesperson. I get back to my home office, and what's on my answering machine, another message from same person wanting me to set up to come in for test drive. Ohh and someone from Sam's Club calls, making sure the Honda dealership called. At least i'm not getting crap mail from them yet.

Why is this so important to you?? Who knows, another few thousand off invoice and I might be willing to accept less features, less flexibility, less towing capacity, less gears, inferior warranty and older technology.

Without a doubt, this speaks volumes to what Honda thinks of Chrysler's new minivans, that they have to resort to massive discounting...... If what all you Honda folks claim, that everyone buys at invoice, then $4000 below that is what? $6000+ off MSRP????

At least Chrysler is up front with rebates to their customers, whereas Honda doesn't announce it, and dealers could really take advantage of the uninformed buyer. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some dealers still asking for Additional Dealer Markup! Of course Honda is trying to maintain the perception of great value etc.....hence, lets not announce deals publicly.

Are there incentives on the Sienna??
  • marig0107marig0107 Posts: 92
    wait, Sam's was doing Honda's? Man I would have killed for that when we were van shopping. We had to settle for the caravan. Wish we would have held out some too because winter eroded the INSIDE of the van alot.

I always assumed that resale values that were high meant the vehicle was better quality. So why is the caravan such a low resale on it? We'd be lucky to get 2 grand on resale with ours. That's why we took that tacoma and left running before the dealer changed his mind on the deal we had worked out. ;)
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    This discussion is a comparison for the two vans, nothing else. If it's going to turn into a my-van-is-better-and-yours-sucks festival, I think this topic is no longer viable.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

This discussion is a comparison for the two vans, nothing else. If it's going to turn into a my-van-is-better-and-yours-sucks festival, I think this topic is no longer viable.

Well I think the best thing to do is go drive each van. Figure out what one suits your needs and the go to the prices paid forum to see if you can afford the one you'd like. I really do like the Ody, but Bodge has finally got with the side airbag/ESC which I think is very important although CR says the stopping distance is still a problem. Buying something is all about what you can live with. Each person has different needs/wants, I try not to put everyone in the same box (Everyone needs are different) and tell people what issues they have with their cars(How would I know). I only know I had problem with Dodge in the past. Your results may vary. :blush:
    Without a doubt, this speaks volumes to what Honda thinks of Chrysler's new minivans, that they have to resort to massive discounting...... If what all you Honda folks claim, that everyone buys at invoice, then $4000 below that is what? $6000+ off MSRP????

Not really it speaks volumes to what our economy is doing.

Not really it speaks volumes to what our economy is doing.

Check out sales of luxury cars etc....sales have increased, and the imports are doing pretty well too. It has to do with products. If Honda was dumping vehicles across the board, you'd be right on blaming the economy. They're heavily discounting the Pilots too, as a new redesign is on it's way. I think even Chrysler isn't discounting their minivans as much as Honda, based on Prices Paid for Odys!! And Honda's reporting profits, much of which is flowing back to Japan.
  • I think Honda/Chrysler/etc. are discounting to stem the flood of minivan purchasers migrating to Crossovers. Also, Pilot is tired design when compared to Outlook/Acadia/Enclave/Edge/CX7/CX9.
This discussion has been closed.