Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs Dodge/Chrysler minivans

1329330331332333335»

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Pay more get less. Perceived image more important than practicality.

My sister drives 2001 Ody EX. Her daughter has a loaded 2006 Pilot. The Ody has MORE interior space and can take 7 people in comfort while the Pilot can take 5 people in comfort + 3 small children with virtually NO cargo space behind 3rd row.

My sister lives in the first house they bought in 1969 ( 2nd owner) while her daughter is in the 3rd NEW house they purchased. Guess which one has no financial concerns?
  • marig0107marig0107 Posts: 92
    we are one of those that migrated to crossovers. We had a Caravan for 10 years. When it came time to replace it, I thought about the need for a minivan. But when everyone is in it, the cargo space is not great in the rear.

We needed some comfort in seating and cargo as well. With an oldest child driving, the only time all of us are in the vehicle are for church and for family trips. It just made more sense to do a crossover this time around. I have tons of cargo, I can even decide not to stack groceries up high when I do major load and kids are not with me by easily lowering the seats. I still do groceries quite comfortably.

And they all sit easily in the rear, one still in car seat, the other over 6 feet tall. ;) Yes, I have every spectrum back there. lol It is rather fully loaded because we have dvd players in the rear headrests, but mostly I am thrilled that every one can sit comfortably and as our children get older, we don't have quite the same minivan needs.

I am impressed with the much better mileage as well. I am not so concerned about shuttling other kids around. Frankly, I have enough with my kids so my excuse is, got no room for yours. :) And I just really like not having the family truckster feel when I travel. it was good when the kids were smaller but now I am covering some greys and keeping some youth too :shades:
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Of all these Odyssey and Toyota owners sniping at the people who happen to like The Chrysler/Dodge versions better than the ones they picked. It is the owners money and they should pick the van that appeals to them the most. For the records The new 08 minivan is 50 to 390 lbs lighter than a Honda(depending on model)has a longer wheelbase 122.2 vs 118 and has the same or better features that the Odyssey and a longer warranty to boot. To those who snipe at the stow and go seating, I am 6'4' and weigh 250 lbs, if you adjust the headrest and the angle of the stow and go even you too can be comfortable in the second seat.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    "I'm tired of all these Odyssey and Toyota owners sniping at the people who happen to like The Chrysler/Dodge versions better than the ones they picked."

It works both ways.

The host is here to step in if things get out of hand, that's their job (and KarenS is pretty good at it!).

To those who snipe at the stow and go seating, I am 6'4' and weigh 250 lbs, if you adjust the headrest and the angle of the stow and go even you too can be comfortable in the second

Um, no I can't (6'5" 195). Been there, tried that, in both the Swivel 'N' Go as well as Stow 'N' Go at the auto show. You're upset that people are telling you what to like, but that's exactly what you are doing. They offer unmatched flexibility, but lack comfort to MY BODY, especially compared to the large captains chairs in the Odyssey EX that I drove/rode in across the country twice. We aren't all made the same, and even though you're big, it doesn't mean that because you find the seats comfortable, we all will. I'm proof that that is not the case. :P

Take a little of your own advice - it is the owners money, they should pick the van that appeals to them most; no owner should tell others what is best, because best is relative. For owners wanting max flexibility, the DCX is great; for owners wanting the most carlike driving experience, the Odyssey is a fine choice, etc...

If we agree that everyone's benchmark for "best" is different, things will go by a lot smoother for us all. :D
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    If we agree that everyone's benchmark for "best" is different, things will go by a lot smoother for us all.
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 221
    I have almost 200,000 kilometes on my 2002 Odyssey and have yet to replace the headlight bulbs (lamps). I notice that I seet alot of current Chysler vehicles with their headlight out (either right or left). Has Chrysler products have more electrical issues then Honda or Toyota? I have also noticed weird lighting issues in some GM/VW taillights.
    I could not find a specific current forum to post these comments.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Maybe you're just seeing vans with lots of time on the road. Our 1998 DGC didn't burn out a headlight bulb until over 180,000 kms (it currently has well over 250,000 kms and is still on the second set) while our 2003 DGC currently has over 170,000 kms and the factory headlight bulbs continue to burn bright. Go figure.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • socalawdsocalawd Posts: 542
    Check out sales of luxury cars etc....sales have increased, and the imports are doing pretty well too. It has to do with products. If Honda was dumping vehicles across the board, you'd be right on blaming the economy. They're heavily discounting the Pilots too, as a new redesign is on it's way. I think even Chrysler isn't discounting their minivans as much as Honda, based on Prices Paid for Odys!! And Honda's reporting profits, much of which is flowing back to Japan.

Well I did look and luxury car sales in February of 08 down 9%(Doesn't sound good to me) from February 07. SUV's down 26% now small cars are up 1.4%. There's the only sector that seems to be able to hold the value. Of course Honda/Toyota make lots of small cars with good gas mileage. Minivan are not a hot market, I was really surprised that the Ody ever sold over MSRP. Sure moneys flowing out of america soon we will make virtually nothing here, try and buy electronics assembled here. I work in the semiconductor manufacturing business(next week we'll be shut down due to no work) and very soon I will probably be moving to the medical business. If capitalism is all about profit soon most of our money will be going to China. I dare you to throw out everything not made in the United States. Heck my 2001 Caravan was made in Canada and owned by a German company(Boy we showed them a thing or 2 about losing money)We prefer to have someone else make it for us, it's cheaper and easier. And that is what we've become. BTW I just saw a Pontiac G8 I was like wow thats cool and cheap. Guess what it is designed/built in Australia. ;)
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Heck my 2001 Caravan was made in Canada and owned by a German company(Boy we showed them a thing or 2 about losing money)We prefer to have someone else make it for us, it's cheaper and easier. And that is what we've become. BTW I just saw a Pontiac G8 I was like wow thats cool and cheap. Guess what it is designed/built in Australia.

But both GM/Chrysler are Amercian companies, and when you buy one of their products the profits/taxes etc.. benefit the USA even if a particular model is built in Canada or Mexico. Sure the G8 was developed in Australia but using many US designed components like engines, trannies etc... This RWD platform will be responsible for many variations built in the USA. Those profits trickle down into suppliers who research, design and manufacture new technologies/product here in the USA.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    The biggest con going! Buy from Ford, GM or Chrysler and the profits stay in America! First, Ford, GM, and Chrysler are CLOSING plants in America. Any new jobs are going offshore. Toyota and other Asian manufacturers are CREATING jobs in America. If some of the Asian companies profits are not finding their way back to America then HOW ARE THE PLANTS BUILT? Are the factories built for nothing? I live in Mississippi. Nissan spent over $1 billion on their plant in Canton, MS. Toyota is building a plant near Tupelo, MS. Again they're investing hundreds of millions of dollars in the local economy. This doesn't include the millions being spent by other Asian parts manufacturers that want to be located near the Toyota or Nissan plants. We've got two Asian parts suppliers setting up shop nearby. Toyota is also doing some of their engineering and design work in the U.S. (California).
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,026
    ...minivans, so time to put this one to bed.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,068
    you know what I think is funny ?? I just came across this forum and saw this post and couldn't resist making a comment... it is funny that the Odyssey doesn't offer standard auto headlamps and it is suppoesed to be from what I understand (I don't know much about minivans as I have never owned one although I probably will since a Suburban will probably be out of my price range) a premium vehicle. I would think that something like autoheadlamps would be standard....

Even my 01 S-10 has them standard. It's an LS options package, but even the base model S-10's starting in I think 1999 had them standard... It's funny that a 15K GM truck has them standard while a HONDA - The "benchmark for quality" does not ....
This discussion has been closed.