Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• I think it's absolutely hideous.
    It should be illegal to put wheels like that
    on an SUV.
    An of course, it just has to have all those stickers on the back window.
  • Well I did it. Last night I bought my 2002 Bravada AWD. Black and fully loaded with every option but the engine block heater and DVD (I got the sunroof). Everything is wonderful!..... EXCEPT I have the mysterious recirculation button problem. Every 10 minutes the damn thing automatically shuts off. I didn't notice untill I was half way home (the dealer is 60 miles away and in another state, plus it was late and the dealer had already closed). I'm going to call the local Olds dealer and find out if this is normal, or if they can take a look at it (any comments from people regarding this would be wonderful!). Other than that, the car is great. I do need to set up the customizations for the alarm alerts, outside light and inside lighting preferences. All in all I'm pleased and glad I don't have to worry about a thing on the car for 5 years/60,000 miles.
  • bobmnbobmn Posts: 28
    I too have the problem with the front passenger seat belt locking up all the time. Its on my list
    with a mirror problem and a fan problem to have the dealer look at. I'll say too, overall I'm happy with my TB, I enjoy driving it even though I've had a couple big problem in the past. One of the ignition modules failed causing a miss in the engine and I had a ticking noise in which it required taking the engine apart and replacing the camshaft actuator. I wish the gas mileage was a little better. It was built in Aug 01 and I have 21xx miles on it.
  • Has anyone else noticed that some of the interior moulding is colored different than in the brochure? On my bravada, the piece of moulding that's around the window/door lock controls is pewter. In the brochure it's black (like the inside door handles).
    It's no big deal, and I am just being curious.

On a seperate note, does anyone have any pics of what the vinyl floor mats look like, or how the compare to the stock carpet ones?
  • tcd2tcd2 Posts: 16
    What is the consensus on changing the oil at the 3 to 5000 mile mark or going with the owner's manual recommendation of 12,000 miles for the 1st oil change? My new trailblazer is over the 3k mark now. Of course the local dealer wants me to bring it right in at 3K but is it a ploy to get money? If I go to the dealer I bought from its free. But still the dealer and owner's manual don't jive for the 1st one. ???
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    For what it is worth, I think you are crazy to go 12000 miles between oil changes. Yes, the crankcase is larger, so it should be able to go longer, but I am not willing to risk my $38,000 vehicle that I plan to keep for a long time. I change oil every 3000 miles, period. I do not use synthetic oil. If I did, I would probably change every 6000 to 7500. I did leave my oil life moniter untouched and now have 8500 miles on my Envoy. The moniter still shows 14% oil life left. I have changed oil twice and will do so again at 9000 miles. I look at it as cheap insurance. I have done this since I started buying cars in 1976 and have never had a problem.
  • tcd2tcd2 Posts: 16
    If something were to go wrong because the oil was changed sooner (I don't see how but) and wasn't done according to the manual then I'm afraid maybe the problem wouldn't get covered by the warranty see. This way if something unforseen happens I would think it would be covered. Just trying to rationalize why the manual says 12000 for the first oil change.
  • dyatesdyates Posts: 13
    I will change my oil the first time no later than 3K miles. On my BMW motorcycle they recommended 600 miles in the manual. This is because on the initial break-in you could potentially have more metal shavings than normal. After that, I will use the oil life monitor or every three months, whichever comes first.

The owners manual explains why the recirculate button automatically goes off. This is a beneficial feature. I believe it is supposed to improve defrost. I don't like using it more than I need to, because I want fresh air coming in, helping me keep awake on long trips.
  • Just a quick question, as my wife has her Bravada and I can't get to the manual. Do the triplets have a "low tire" warning signal in the DIC program? A few weeks ago, she picked up 3 flat tires, all from nails, and she never noticed warning from the DIC. My aurura has this and it is great. Thank you
  • The recirc light shouldn't go off automatically after 10 minutes.
    If you're using the defroster it wont let you use recirc at all.
    I called the dealer and they said it shouldn't automatically go off and for me to bring it in.
  • First, The black Envoy looks like crap.

Second- my dealer said change oil between 3000 and 7500 max regardless of oil change monitor. Makes sense to me. I plan to go 3000 mi or six months whichever comes first.

Seems like the recirc feature should shut off after a bit of cooldown. Why would you want it to stay on?
  • Well, I changed mine at 3500 before a big trip, with the indicator telling me I still had 65% life left...on track for a 10,000 mile oil change. I did it anyway. A good friend also has a 2002 TB LTZ and she waited until the indicator said 5%. The place that changed her oil said it had "sludged" the engine. I have to confess I don't even know what that means, but they said the oil was like lumpy gravey. Made me glad I changed mine. Her mileage was around 9500 at the time.
  • mkayemkaye Posts: 184
    If you search back in the messages for about a week, I think you'll find the answer is a "software reprogram." There apparently is a TSB on it.

MK
  • ralforalfo Posts: 36
    Just went for an oil service at my dealership in Central NJ this morning and saw that they had three Envoy's on the lot with a "Denali" Kit. It looked pretty cool. The kit was a $3,500 option. From what I could see the olny thing they gave you is the Denali grill, running boards, and the Door Panels and trim on the outside said Denali on them.
  • You do not want to run 12,000 miles with dino oil before changing. The oil will look like molasses. I would change dino oil at no more than 6,000 miles /change max. I run syn. oil & change the oil at 11,000 & change the filter at 5500 & at the 11,000 mile mark. I have ran my car for 3 years & top end is clean, as a pin.
  • I looked into the NHTSA database on TSBs but found nothing regarding the recirc. button. Is there another more complete source available for TSB's?
  • mkayemkaye Posts: 184
    Looks like it wasn't a TSB, Hambone7 said in message #3551 RE: 8 minute Recirculate shutoff
    "Within the past 6 weeks I have posted complaints about the recirculate button shutting down after 8 minutes. There wasn't much buzz about it except for a few stating they have the same issue. Well, my dealer found that it is due to a mechanical failure in the A/C system. A part is being overnighted to fix the problem. So, if your recirc button shuts down after 8 minutes, then you are affected. I'm crossing my fingers that this will correct the problem. I'll post again after they replace the parts."

SO Hambone7, Did it work?
  • Just picked up my Oynx Black Envoy SLT W/Tan leather interior. Loaded all the options except the DVD which wasn't available. I appreciate everyones input to this forum. I've been looking for about 6 months and had it narrowed down to the Envoy or Lexus. The $2,002 rebate made it a slamdunk. So far I'm very impressed with the ride and features. for the $$$ spent I think this is the best value on the road.
    One question, I read somewhere adding dual exhaust would increase HP to an even 300 ponies.
    That with the K&N filter should help it breath and increase both power (not that it needs it) but also MPG. Has anyone installed dual exhaust yet? If so any results?
  • Well... I'm joining the crowd. I am picking up a Magnetic Red Envoy tomorrow morning. I can't wait to get it. It's not fully loaded, but it is loaded enough. It's an SLT with the enhanced package, Bose, roof, and the high polished wheels.

I'll be keeping an Eye on the mirrors and paint around the license plate bracket. Too bad I didn't have it the last few days when all of this snow hit.

-Brian
  • mraumrau Posts: 50
    I noticed in the Envoy brochure it says the DIC will give a "15 day history of the vehicle usage" (pg 12). However in the owner's manual I can't find it. Anyone have knowledge of this.
    One other thing, where is the "puddle lamps"?(p.22) I thought they would be under the outside mirror, but I don't see them.

My Envoy SLT is running great. Only one problem: missing drivers-side bolt for front air dam. I put in a temp and will get it replaced at first oil change. At 3000 miles by the way. Oil only breaks down while it is in use. It doesn't get better with age. So changing every 3000 miles or so can't hurt it.

Remember the manual says if the Oil Life System is accidently reset, you must change oil at 3000 miles after your last oil change, then reset the Oil Life System. In all cases change your oil at least once a year.

Mike
  • As the 90 percent happy owner of a 2000 Blazer, I've seriously considered "trading up" for a new TB.

Not anymore.

I got off to a bad start with two potential dealers -- one on the Net, who responded to my query with a "you drive to much for a lease" response and demanding to know how much I wanted to spend (even though I never mentioned lease).

Then I found this website. Now I realize happy customers have little reason to post here, but the fact that the same problems are cropping up all over the country -- and GM refuses to deal with them -- is all I need to decided NOT to spend $30,000 on one of their products.

I wonder if you owners are looking through rose colored glasses, and that's why you're not all in revolt over paint chipping license plates, droopy mirrors, missing trim and problematic pumps?

Surely some GM Corporate folks read this site. To them, I ask: Get your act together!
  • The right front seat belt is designed to lock if it is pulled out all the way. It's for use with a child seat. Read the manual. Annoying, but that a feature, not a bug.

You cannot say every car needs an oil change at 3000 miles. That's why GM had it computerized. he problem is on a global scale, all these unnecessary 3000 mile oil changes wastes resources. Used to be based on mileage, now it's based on how hard the oil is used, as measured by the computer.

I always changed my oil after 3000 miles of city driving, and ignored any long trips. So if I went 4500 miles, and 1500 was interstate travel, it was time for a change. Now I'll just do it when the computer sais to, and use Mobil 1, and Go.

I have 162,000 on my 1985 4x4 S10 blazer. Works for me.

Buy the Bravada. You'll get a nicer interior, better deal at the dealer, and 5 yr 60k warranty.

also, the sterio head units are didderent. Different to the core.

Greg
    Wichita
  • I don't know if it is just my computer, but when I put a message number in the "jump to" box at the top of this page, I jump to something about 150 before the one I am interested in. What gives?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,139
    The number visible is different from the "real" number of messages posted - many are deleted by the posters, or by the hosts for housekeeping reasons (duplicates, language, etc.).

If you "hover" your mouse over the visible number, the "real" number will appear in your browser status bar (this post is "really" number 3801 for example).

The Jump To box uses the "real" number to navigate by, and that's why you are often thrown off trying to get back to a specific range of posts.

Hope this makes sense :). It's a "feature" of our software.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I don't believe in the 3000 mile oil change either. Who are you going to believe, the manufacturer of the vehicle or Jiffy Lube?

I don't know that I'll let it get to 12000, though, but one thing that seems to be overlooked
    is that these things have big 7 quart oil pans.
    That extra oil does let you go longer between
    oil changes.

I changed the oil for the first time at just over 7000. It looked good. Not too thin, not sludgy.
  • hambone7hambone7 Posts: 130
    I'm happy to report that my dealer has fixed the recirc button issue where it would shut off after exactly 8 minutes consistently.

The first thing the dealer did was check the A/C system since I also complained that the A/C clutch cycled on and off a lot. The A/C system was out of spec (sensed a -40 degree F temperature) and a part was installed to correct the problem. I don't think the mechanical part corrected the recirc button issue because they went on the reload a new BCM (Body Control Module) program. I am about 99% that the new program corrected the recirc button issue. I don't believe that a mechanical failure would cause the recirc button to shut off after EXACTLY 8 minutes consistently.
    I didn't get the part number (because it wasn't listed on my dealership paperwork) for the front seat bracket covers, but I did get the dealer to put them on. All the new TBs that were on the lot had all the seat bracket covers from the factory so the dealer didn't have a leg to stand on to defend not ordering the covers for me.
    My dealer is aware of the tailgate chipping paint and has informed me that GM is working on a gasket to retrofit on our triplets. He said it would likely be a black gasket (I was hoping for a color coded gasket).
  • allenrallenr Posts: 83
    Call me old fashion but I like to do two quick oil changes on my new motors. I do the first one at 600 or so miles and the second one around 1200-1500 miles.
    You know they can't get all the little metal bits of metal completely out when they built them! Two quick oil and filter changes gets all the little pieces of junk out. I also installed a magnetic drain plug to catch any floating metal savings in the oil. Put the plug in at 600 miles and when I change the oil at 1200 there was a lot on metal shavings on the end on the magnetic :) Buy the third oil change (4500 miles) the magnetic was almost clean!
    After the two quick changes I usually go about 4000 to 5000 between changes. I use to do it at 3000 but oil is better now and new motors don't contaminate the oil as fast. I had a 1985 S-10 Blazer that had 217,000 miles on it when I sold it. I know it was all the oil changes I did over 11 years that keep that motor going. I never had to touch the inside of that motor!! and that old 2.8L was never known for its longevity.

Allen
  • tlaurotlauro Posts: 504
    Some thought I was crazy when I told them that GM was working on a twin turbo version of the 4.2l

I must have fielded a dozen or so email flames from various boards, but thankfully the recent Motor Trend proved me correct. It's not in production yet, but IMO, it will be a reality come 04.

How many would pay $45-$47k for one though?