Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• tlaurotlauro Posts: 504
    Paisan, here's the quote from GM

"March 4, 2002
    General Motors
    Detroit… GM has officially announced that the 2003 Trailblazer EXT and Envoy XL will offer an optional V8 engine this fall. The midsize SUVs will use the same all-aluminum version of the Vortec 5300 V8 that will power the Chevrolet SSR. The new engine is 100 lbs lighter than the current cast iron 5300 and meets Californian ULEV standards without exhaust gas recirculation. Engine weight and space requirements were alo improved by the use of a "pan-axle" design which allows the front differential to pass through the oil pan. Final horsepower and torque ratings have not been released but will be similar to the current version. "
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    So beit then. Well I guess the only reason to buy an Isuzu version is the warranty 3/50K and 10/120K on the powertrain. Of course you'll need to live near an Isuzu dealer to take advantage of that, also we'll have to see what the pricing is on em. I thought they might give the Isuzu something to differentiate it from the others like a superior off-road package to bring out the off-road heritage of the Isuzu brand but Noooooo. Oh well GM/Isuzu lets us down again. < /rant >

-mike
  • ficussficuss Posts: 541
    iexplore2000: I bought my TB LTZ in june 2001. My engine failed in Sept. 2001, with 2166 miles on it. They said a cylinder sleeve broke loose. they replaced the engine and did a nice job of it. the new engine now has about 5k miles and has been fine. I'm not sure of the build date, I'll look it up and let u know if was after 1-1-2001.
  • 2002slt2002slt Posts: 228
    I'm pretty sure he meant 1/1/2002. Unless they build a bunch of engines before they sold any vehicles.
  • Actually I am wrong on the dates.. sorry for the miscommunication. I guess the problem blocks were produced within the first few months of the vehicles hitting the market. Also, I just asked my father to give me more info on the engine build trouble they experienced. He mentioned that there was a problem with the procity (sp?) holes on the engine block? I don't understand engine logic, but he and my mom stated that procity holes are air holes that can form on the engine block. He mentioned that the procity holes were just the tip of the iceburg concerning the build quaility issues behind the 4.2L. Hopefully this helps you all.

Thanks!
  • pepper50pepper50 Posts: 195
    Thanks, iexplore2000, for the info about the problem of the increased porosity in the cylinder block casting in some early production. What does your dad think of the build quality of the current batch of I6's, say since Christmas 2001?
    Thanks.
  • mraumrau Posts: 50
    I believe all the I-6 engines are built in Flint, Mi. I think the Saginaw, Mi. plant does the casting for the block and then the block is sent to Flint (a new plant) where it is assembled. That engine then goes to Ohio to be put in the vehicle.

FYI
  • funitsfunits Posts: 55
    Just read the mid-size SUV comparison on this web site . . . humm, I guess I am a rank amateur when evaluating vehicles. Why would I ever buy one of the new GM mid-size SUV vehicles when the 2002 Ford Explorer is available? Reviews/opinions seem to have allegiance above all.
  • crj1crj1 Posts: 70
    I work for a GMC dealer in michigan and we got our first envoy xl in yesterday, it is a much nicer vehicle than I thought it would be. There is a lot of room in the 3rd seat and also the windows in the very back are power opening for venting, plus it has seperate controls for the 3rd row heat and ac. The sticker price is $37750.00 for a 4wd SLT with leather.
    funits, I hear your pain, we over at the Isuzu board know about opinions/allegiance/payoffs quite well. :)

-mike
  • jpnmassjpnmass Posts: 45
    You wrote:
    Why would I ever buy one of the new GM mid-size SUV vehicles when the 2002 Ford Explorer is available

Maybe because you enjoy being alive. Last time I looked, Ford was trying to cover up the fact that they put defective tires on their Explorer's (or maybe the whole design of the truck is at fault)and they were flipping over like pancakes. Why would you even consider an Explorer after that? Not saying to buy a GM product, but the Ford sounds a bit risky for me.
    Americans are sheep. Anyone who buys an Explorer after Ford put in about 6-10lbs less PSI than Firestone told them to put in is crazy. But Ford has some either really good marketing or huge dealer network or something, cause people keep coming back for more torture! It's amazing. What would Ford have to do to get people to stop buying their cars and trucks? Short of having the thing explode upon turing the key in the ignition I think they can put out any crappola and Americans will buy it right up!

-mike
  • vindog45vindog45 Posts: 35
    I also read this sites reviews......what a bunch of biased crap!...."ROLLOVER PROTECTION SYSTEM"....yeah right!...My money still says the Explorer with roll over before a Trailblazer would. ...ROLL OVER PROTECTION SYSTEM....Duhhhhhhh!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,936
    Comparison Test: 2002 Midsize SUVs

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • cmack4cmack4 Posts: 302
    I talked to the Master Mechanic at my Chevy/Old's dealer yesterday and he actually got me part numbers for the transfer cases and gave me some interesting infos...

Both Autotrac and Smarttrak were originally designed and produced by New Venture Gear, but are now being produced by Borg Warner, since DC pulled the majority share of NVG and took it over... GM maintained the Muncie, Indiana plant where Borg Warner is making the transfer cases now. Both companies are producing under the same part numbers, NV 136 for the Olds and NV 246 for Autotrac. Both use electrically engaged wet pack clutch systems with multiple plates. The multiple plates allow both cases to manage torque split, something I didn't think that Autotrac could do. However, the 136 has more plates then the 246, thus giving it a bigger range of torque distribution and in his opinion better suited for on-road applications. the 246, on the other hand, has a lo-range (which produces up to 700 lbs more ft torque) and has a higher hardness rating, which make it more suited for off-road. I was able to find one site to support most of this info...

http://www.4x4now.com/bd0599.htm

So, I guess it looks like tlauro and I were both right and wrong in some regards. I definitely give Autotrac more credit now.

• cmack4cmack4 Posts: 302
    Here's the New Venture Gear Site as well... They have some of the Specs on the cases...

http://www.newventuregear.com/tcases.html

• funitsfunits Posts: 55
    Lest anyone is confused . . . I own a 2002 GMC Envoy . . . my comments on the mid-size SUV review on this site were my attempts at subtle sarcasim and alluding to that individual's (or an entire organization's) opinions/reviews may be biased by their product allegiance, for whatever reason.
    I got that read on your comments, not sure why others didn't.

-mike
  • macman246macman246 Posts: 118
    Has anyone found a speed rating for our tires in any of the triplet's documentation?

I had a '93 Exploder with 93K miles prior to purchasing my '02 Envoy SLT. One thing I do remember very clearly from the owners manual and the Firestone owners manual was that those tires were NOT to be driven over 65 mph. Granted, that's hard to do on the open highway, and I admit I took it up to 75 mph a few times. I wonder how many of those accidents could have been avoided if they had stayed below 65 mph.
    Hmmm I don't buy that one. Most manufacturers will put a speed limiter @ the max tire speed rating. You don't need to look in an owners manual all you need to do is look at the tire. Tirerack.com has the codes to tell you what the tires are rated at speedwise. I think Z or V is the highest which is 155+mph sustained. Most trucks come with 115mph speed limiters and tires rated at about 120mph sustained speeds.

I've had my trooper up to 115mph a few times and generally travel at speeds of 80-90mph on trips. I've switched over to great tires Pirelli Scorpion ATs in 275-70-16 size. :)

-mike