Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I haven't had any trouble at all changing the oil on my TB. There's a deflector molded in to the undercover near the corner of the access hole, right below the filter, and it catches 90% of the oil if you allow the filter to drain out before completely removing it. If your in a hurry though then you probably make a big mess.
    Yes, the filter is offset from the access hole somewhat, but you can easily reach it from the right side by reaching up around the undercover.
    On a scale of 1 (difficult) to 10 (easy) I would have to rate the TB a 9. Just for comparison, I would rate the 88 Taurus I once had as a 1 or 2, since the filter was hard to get to and I had to shove a piece of cardboard under it to get it off without spilling oil all over the frame.
    Either way you look at it though you're going to get your hands dirty. It's just a fact of life.
  • Options
    envoyownerenvoyowner Member Posts: 42
    Guys,
    Anyone have any strong opinions on what's best with regard to, as REI says, "Car Travel Solutions"? Looking at the Sherpak Roof Bag, with the main reason for choosing the bag over a hard shell carrier being the convenience of storage. My SLT has the roof rack, and I am concerned about abrasions (there is a pad that is sold with the carrier).
    Appreciate any thoughts/experiences when using boxes/bags/baskets.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    A little trick I learned many years ago is to use a plastic bag over the filter to catch the mess. A bread bag will work but a 1 gal zip lock works even better because of the extra stiffness to keep it open. To really make things less messy, remove the front skid plate by removing the 4 bolts retaining it. tim
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That sounds good - I tried the bread bag trick on my wagon last month and it didn't work worth a flip.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kpp14kpp14 Member Posts: 62
    tblazed....thankyou for your help with the wiper motor problem and your offer of a pic to show where to drill the drainage hole. I took the truck to the dealer this morning and was told drilling a hole in the bottom of the case would void the warranty. I told them if the motor fails on the hiway i'll be void as well. The dealer was very good about it and insisted to start work right away. They offered me a Durango for the day no charge! Maybe I should of taken it. I'll have my Envoy back later today though. My dealer is so service driven, it would make you all want to barf. We should get 100 of you guys to arrive on his door step at once!
  • Options
    celebrimborcelebrimbor Member Posts: 10
    Just replaced my BFG Open Trails at ~33K miles (less than 2/32nds tread left). Decent dry road performance, but poor grip when wet/snow. GM did the right thing with the triplets by putting real tires on them, not saddling them with the usual lousy OEM tires. (I'm a survivor of the Ford/Firestone debacle.)

Replaced the Goodrich's with a store brand (Big O Tires - i.e., Goodyears) with exactly the same specs (speed, load, temp, traction). Gas mileage has dropped 15%+ on the first four tanks on the new treads. However, it has been very hot (full time a/c) and tourist traffic has been worse, so I can't blame it on the tires (yet).
  • Options
    mdeymdey Member Posts: 90
    Sorry I haven't posted an update lately. I have been busy and just had a chance to get caught up on all of the posts.

I posted an engine performance issue recently. The engine (I6) is behaving like a cyndler is missing intermittenly. I took it to Love Chevy here in Columbia, SC. They kept it three days, finally took it for a spin with the scan tool attached, declared "no codes" and gave it back to me. At least they didn't charge me for their "trouble." Since then I have run two bottles of Techron through. It's better but the problem is still there. I have been quite busy lately, so I have lived with it but this is my plan:

Change the fuel filter (again)
    Rotate and balance the tires (just to eliminate that excuse)
    Run at least one more bottle of Techron through

If those don't cure it, I plan to buy a coil and start rotating it through the cylinders. If that doesn't do it, I plan to return to the dealer for some serious yelling.

One symptom that maybe others can check and post back on for me. With the car in park, engine fully warm, AC on or off, if I add enough throttle to get the engine up to 1500 rpms, there is a noticable engine vibration. Above and below it is rock steady. Can some others check their car and tell me if you get the same syptom?
  • Options
    When changing the oil, if you turn the wheel to the right fully, you can reach through the suspension for fairly easy access to the filter. I have a pan big enough to catch the oil from the drain plug and the filter without repositioning the pan. I generally loosen the filter first, pull the drain plug, walk away for about 5 minutes (about enough time to check other fluid levels, tire pressure, etc.). Then finish the job. I might get a few drips from the frame under the filter, but I can live with it.

I have about 41k on my TB LS. The BFG OpenTrails are about half worn out. I haven't measured the depth, but I expect to get about 50k to 60k out of them. I plan to buy three more, put the full-size spare on the ground, and go another 50k to 60k.

Funny thing, I had three sets of the OE Firestone tires on my 92 Explorer. I never had any problem with them. But I gratefully accepted a new set of Bridgestones to replace the Firestones that had almost 40k on them. It's an SUV with all-terrain tires on it. You can't expect to leave them on for a gozillian miles, inflate them at 26 psi, drive 80 mph, and not have a problem.

As for my TB, I am getting about 17 mpg in town (17-mile commute, no freeways), about 20 mpg on the freeway (pretty much what the sticker says). If the speedlimit is 70 mph, I am usually driving 75 mph to maybe 78 mph if the traffic is light.
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Don't expect much sympathy on this board, as most of the posters are convinced G M's Triplets are Gods' gift to motorists. I happen to not be one of them. I have tried, unsuccessfully to point out the extent of the triplets problems only to have others dismiss comments like mine as "whining". Call Chevy customer service and let them know the extent of the problems your TB has had. Keep a file and record of your calls. They may be willing to offer you an extended warranty at a reduced cost. If they do, I would jump at it. These triplets will cost a kings fortune to maintain after the warranty is up. I also plan on ridding myself of the problem before the extended warranty coverage lapses.
     I had asked the readers here some time ago to list any one system or part in the tripletts which has not been mentioned here as having failed. I have not read even one post in response.
     I understand G M gives a very good discount to employees and now relatives of employees and posibly anyone who knows an employee in order to get someone to buy these things. No wonder so many people are apparently reluctant to respond.

Frank
  • Options
    ross1962_99ross1962_99 Member Posts: 48
    "Anyone have any strong opinions on what's best with regard to, as REI says, "Car Travel Solutions"? "

Yes. I have a Yakima "Rocket Box" and I love it. Noise and adverse aerodynamic effects are very minimal, the design is good, installation isn't hard. It mounts right onto the stock crossbars without having to buy additional adapters. The downside is find a space for it when it's not being used. If you buy the bag, I would think you'd have all the aerodynamics of a brick.
  • Options
    "These triplets will cost a kings fortune to maintain after the warranty is up."

Well, if you think that's the case, don't ever buy a Mercedes! They cost and king's fortune AND an arm and a leg to maintain! :-)
  • Options
    elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    Thanks for the reply. I have the 3.42 gears in my LT and, if I had it to do over, would probably get the 3.73's. I went with the 3.42's figuring for the best mileage, but I don't get any better than the 3.73 equipped trucks. I think that's because it takes more gas to get the truck moving from a dead stop and that negates any benefit gained from the lower RPM's at highway speeds. I plan on moving a good distance from work soon though and maybe then the 3.42's will pay off (it will be mostly highway driving). I have read here how the 3.73 rear end make's a huge difference in the acceleration from a stop. I test drove a 3.73 equipped TB when I was in the buying process and I could not tell any difference at all between the 2. Either I test drove a bad 3.73 TB or I got a real good 3.42 TB. Either way, I ahve enough power to do what I nedd to do.

Take care,
    Elevatorguy
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    I remove 3 bolts on the skidplate and loosen the 4th until I can rotate it out of the way. Makes a big hole for changing the oil!

Fiscuss: Many of us have complained about our Triplets, me included. The design is good, execution is poor (I've never had a brake pedal whimper like a sick puppy every time I apply the brakes). The price increases and decontenting are a real slap in the face. If GM dropped incentives and forced us to pay full list price, these things would sell worse than a Yugo.There are a lot of good choices for the $40K many of these things are now selling for.

Iexplore: The look of the Nissan/Infiniti twins just doesn't do it for me. I much prefer the look of the Envoy. I also have heard nothing good about the ride of the Nissan twins. Very stiff even with the standard suspension.

GAM
  • Options
    I am on vacation this week, which means I have too much time on my hands. I rotated the tires this afternoon. I went 15k between rotations. No broken studs either. I use a torque wrench and apply 100 ft./lbs.

The tires that came off of the back have 6/32 of an inch of tread (a little less than 5/32 if measured at the treadwear bar). The tires that came off of the front have are a bit more worn, probably due to me leaving them up there so long. The spare measures 9/32 of an inch. Not bad for 41k. I usually replace tires before the wearbars start to show, but I think I will still get 60k out of them.

I also measured the brake linings as best I could without pulling the calipers. I have about 9 mm of lining remaining (a little more at the rear). I think OE is about 12 mm. The brakes work very well and I haven't noticed any decline in braking. No complaints on brakes from me. PS: I do pull a trailer on occassion, but mostly around town.
  • Options
    twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    We have travelled cross country twice with a Kangaroo soft carrier on top of our vehicle.
    Purchased it through LL Bean based on the promise of no leaking and the fact that Bean normally carries top quality items. We have been pleased with this product. No leaks and no annoying noise from rattling plastics.
    One other consideration for us was we were planning on taking the car ferry from Bar Harbour Maine to Nova Scotia. There was a height restriction for the ferry, forcing us to not have a carrier on the roof. The soft pak carrier folded neatly in my van.
    Try that with a hard top
  • Options
    cparise1cparise1 Member Posts: 109
    "Glad that you posted info concerning the grill inserts. From the looks of the Envoy's that have this style grill (at least in Michigan), at a distance, it looks as if they were simply installed on top of the original grill?"

Yes, the grille is installed directly over the existing grille. I haven't found one that replaces the factory grille altogether. The factory grille is plumbed for the headlight washers so replacing it entirely would make the whole proposition more costly. If you know what to look for you can see the horizontal black bars of the factory grille. The instructions say to scuff and spray paint the original black bars flat black. I haven't taken that step because I am skeptical of the results and now that its installed I personally find the look appealing.
    I'll work on the pic's and let you decide.

A satisfied Envoy XL SLT owner, sorry Ficuss.

Chris
  • Options
    kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Member Posts: 89
    Does anyone here own a North Face TB? or does anyone know anything about the orange cab lights on top of the NF?

I saw my first one at night last night, and there was no mistaking the lights on top of the cab. It appeared to me that GM just replaced the black end caps on the roof rack rails with orange lenses. (similar to the difference between the turn signal on the eternal mirrors and non-signal mirrors.)

Very distinct look, and I'd be really interested in changing mine over, providing it's not a $500 change.

Anyone?
  • Options
    njohnw4njohnw4 Member Posts: 4
    I own a North Face Edition and it does look like the black end caps were replaced with the lights. I am not sure how the electric was run but I can take a look when I get home and see if I can find where the wiring runs.
    Those lights were one part of the North Face Edition that I did not like at first but after a couple of weeks they have really grown on me.
  • Options
    luvmytralblazrluvmytralblazr Member Posts: 8
    I was driving home yesterday from work and my windshield wipers just stop working. I tried every setting. It wouldn't even let me clean the windshield. So, my 2002 Trailblazer EXT is in the shop, again. Other things beign looked at:

1) Rotors (extreme pulsating when applying brakes, dealer said they probably need to be replaced, at 25,000 miles???)
    2) Passenger seat belt locking up
    3) Filter for Air Cleaner (there is a must smell when turning on the air conditioner and sometimes while it is running)

By the way, I did check the fuse for the windshield wiper. It was O.K.

Anybody have any of these problems?
  • Options
    Hey that would be great if you could check on the wiring for those lights. Thank you.

And I know what you mean about "growing on you". There's no mistaking when you see a NF edition coming at you at night.
  • Options
    envoyenvyenvoyenvy Member Posts: 24
    A question for 2002 Envoy SLT owners. Anyone notice that the headlamp washer button is not backlit as brightly as the fog lamp button? Just noticed it, not sure if this is normal or if I have a bulb out. If anyone has noticed or can check theirs, I would appreciate feedback.
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Intresting to note the recent JDP survey places Nissan (maker of the Infiniti) at 258 problems per 100 vehicles, GM is rated 264/100, the industry average is 273/100. I'd say that is better than average. I would bet money that the Infiniti dealer has a service department. I am very happy with my Trailblazer, owned it since Jan '02 been in the shop 2 times, for a recall and recal the PCM, and think it is quite a nice well-built vehicle for the <$21,000 I paid for mine. I don't work for GM, supply GM with parts, or have any relatives that work for GM. I intentionally waited until these had been production for a year before I bought one to get most of the bugs worked out. Just about all new products from cars to TV sets go through continuous changes during their production cycle for improvements.
  • Options
    zekedogzekedog Member Posts: 2
    Frank, I had the benefit of having the employee
    discount when buying this vehicle and I'd rather pay sticker and get a vehicle that I can depend on. I've always been an advocate of "Buy American" and I hate to say it but I certainly am questioning that these days.

As far as the comment about Mercedes, I'm sure that's true, high priced. Of course you can take it on vacation and not spend half your trip at a car dealer as well. Like I stated earlier, these vehicles are costing $3x000 and getting this kind of quality for that kind of money is unacceptable!
  • Options
    There is no cabin air filter on a triplet, see message #12300. The odor you have is caused by mold and mildew in the HVAC system. The best way to avoid it is to turn the a/c off a few minutes before you arrive at your destination to allow the system temp to equal the outside temp and avoid condensation which sooner or later will cause the mold to develop. Once you have this condition the only option is one of the products similar to this.
    http://www.bgprod.com/bgprofessional/bgproducts/aircon.html There is a TSB for the seat belt lockup to replace the retractor. Dealer will have to order the part. See nuyorkah Dec 13, 2002 7:25pm
       tim
  • Options
    tblazed, averages are just that, averages. I didn't think I was buying an average GM vehicle for $35,000. Now, if GM had put an Northstar engine/system in the tripletts, perhaps we would have had fewer engine problems. I won't keep beating this dead horse, But,what are the problems per 100 cars ratings for the tripletts?

Frank
  • Options
    "... Northstar engine/system" in a Trailblazer. But I bet it's base price would be a LOT higher. Besides the technology they learned from making NS aluminum blocks carried over to these. Too bad you had to get a bad one. But really have not seen any reports here or elsewhere of any newer engines failing. Plus, as you know, GM definitely did the right thing and sent every owner of an '01-built triplet a warranty extension on the engine block.

"I didn't think I was buying an average GM vehicle for $35,000." You bought a $25,000 vehicle with $10,000 in optional "stuff". And you didn't get to take advantage of any of the incentives. I'd be not-as happy too. You really need to get an Infiniti FX45 and be done with it. My 2¢.
  • Options
    you're close, I bought a 2003 Infiniti G35 sedan. lots of power, 265 hp rear wheel drive, enough bells and whistles to keep the average guy happy. I can't tow a boat or even a skateboarder if I wanted to, (no trunk handle to grab). I'll keep the TB to haul things for a few years. My experience with the Infiniti will determine my next purchase. Let me know if you find the problems per 100 cars for the tripletts.

Frank
  • Options
    So, how would you feel if you had spent $70K and STILL spent half you vacation waiting for your car to be fixed?
    Check out the MB SUV board: kenyee "Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55)" Dec 4, 2000 3:48am!make=Mercedes-Benz&model=M-Class&ed_makeindex=.ee95173
    You'll find the grass isn't so green on that side of the fence, but your wallet has a lot less green in it!
  • Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I'm really happy with the quality of my 2003 Envoy XL. Had to replace the low pressure valve for the A/C - so far that's the only problem. Over 8K miles and no squeaks, rattles, or wind noise.
  • Options
    I too would like to see what the problem rate is for the Triplets. Most of GM's lineup is at least 4 years old and should have had the quality problems worked out by now. The Buick Regal and cousins have been basically unchanged since '97. Cavalier and Sunbird have benn around since '95!
    The FWD minivans are getting old and the Astro is positively ancient. Even the pickups are 4 years old. If, as expected, these vehicles have had all the bugs worked out of them by now, their problem rate should be low. That means ours are quite problematic to get the rate as high as it is. My Bravada had more problems in 9 months than my previous 6 vehicle combined.

Nissan and Infinity, on the other hand, have released many substantially new vehicles lately. The Altima is only a few years old. The Z car is brand new as is the Murano. The Maxima is also substantially new. Infinity has their own version of all of these cars. I would expect a little higher problem rate as most of their lineup is new. GM's is higher with hardly any new product.
    I think we have a right to complain, considering the price. GM will continue to need rebates to sell their vehicles. The price increases have pretty much covered their incentive costs so far (a current 2003 is $3000+ more than a similar 2002). MY 2 cents.

GAM
  • Options
    I needed that

Frank
  • Options
    celebrimborcelebrimbor Member Posts: 10
    I don't think the triplets are God's gift to motorists, but I also don't think they are total dogs. After 30 years of car buying & driving, my experience has been that EVERY car has an occasional problem. Just because a few people have had problems with various different parts doesn't mean it's a lemon. Yes, some ARE lemons, whether due to a vendor screwing up a batch of parts (e.g., shock mounts) or a factory worker having a bad day, it happens. Doesn't matter if it's a Mercedes or a Yugo (DON'T buy an M series w/out reading Consumer Reports).

I've had my TB for 18 months and 34K miles. Problems: a) flimsy rear hatch strap broke b) a/c low pressure switch needed replacing and c) a headlight burned out. That's all. I did have the recalls done, but had not experienced the problems they were to have "fixed."

My brother, on the other hand, has nothing but trouble with every car he's ever had (regardless of make, model or manufacturer). Maybe it's not the vehicle, but the nut behind the wheel . .
  • Options
    aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    In other news, I thought I might bring this one up, I lost the link, but the new H3 due out for production in 04/05 is getting the inline 6!!! Since the H2 had the worst JD power rate, will the H3 top it?
  • Options
    Celebrimbor:
    I'm just the opposite. My brother bought a Jeep Cherokee, not the most reliable vehicle in the world. 140,000 miles later, he's had the oil changed every 7500 mles and has gone thru 3 sets of tires. That it! The original brakes, hoses, you name it. He doesn't give a rip about vehicles. Doesn't know the difference between a master cylinder and spark plug. Me, I love cars and trucks yet..............

I read that most of the problems with the Hummer H2 were related to "poor gas mileage". Can you say DUH! The dumbing of America continues.

GAM
  • Options
    bruser1bruser1 Member Posts: 31
    Plus, as you know, GM definitely did the right thing and sent every owner of an '01-built triplet a warranty extension on the engine block.

GM also sent that notice out to us, owners of a 02 Trailblazer LTZ. Ditto on all points made by Ficuss and the other disgruntled owners. Our vehicle has visited the service department 4 times for a total of 16 business days. Any owner defending these products is indeed fortunate, to those owners my hat is off to you, luck of the draw eh. Bruce
  • Options
    tmac8tmac8 Member Posts: 32
    Curious about your thoughts now after having it on for a while. Notice any improvement in gas mileage, throttle response, torque or HP ?
    Tom
  • Options
    st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    A number of people have posted messages of the type "because I spent X I expect Y reliability." I don't have actual numbers, but based on a general interest in things automotive, I don't think such a correlation exists.
    Certainly, some automakers as a whole are known for reliable vehicles (and vice versa). But in both cases, within that manufacturer's line of vehicles, reliability doesn't increase with price. Think about Civic vs Pilot, Echo vs Sequioa, 318i vs 740, Cavalier vs Aurora, Caravan vs Viper, C240 vs M500 etc, etc. There might even be a reverse correlation, with all the added complexity on the higher priced vehicles. Higher prices buy greater sport, power, luxury, features; not reliability (in general).
    If I spend $11K on an Echo, this logic says that I have no (or at least a reduced) right to any expectations on reliability.
  • Options
    njohnw4njohnw4 Member Posts: 4
    kgbkahnk,
    I looked at the cab lights and it does look like the black cap was replaced by the light. The wiring looks it goes directly down into the roof. I am not the most mechanical person but it did not look like it would be that easy to put the lights in.
    Does anyone see that many North Face Trailblazers on the road? I have only seen one other.
  • Options
    Tom, really can't say I have noticed any substantial HP or torque gain- at least not in the typical driving conditions I have been in the past two weeks. MAYBE a little "torque-ier" driving it around in the city. And haven't run enough gas through it to see if the MPG has changed enough to note. Two thoughts on that: 1) it might get a little BETTER "city" MPG because I am keeping my foot out of it more to reduce the noise. Yes, the Borla does make a somewhat higher sound level, especially in the 1200-2000 RPM range depending how much gas you give it. Seems to hit a peak resonance in that range. 2) It might get a little LESS MPG because I am pushing it harder sometimes, like getting on the freeway or passing, to utilize the power. Probably in the end, it will all balance out and gains will be naught. Definitely LOOKS cool, though! Gives the rear view a whole new persona.
  • Options
    Not defending, just relating my experience thus far. If my TB got totalled today I would buy another one.

If GM sells 500,000 triplets, and Honda sells 50,000 Pilots, and they have the same percentage of problems, you still will have 10X as many people whining, er, comlaining about reliability of the GMs. Plus seems like certain brand buyers, especially import brand buyers, are less likely to complain about things as though they are in denial. Also, look how long it took Toyota to finally fess up to oiling and sludge problems in some of their engines. Years. Just an observation.
  • Options
    flyersruleflyersrule Member Posts: 47
    A while back someone posted about having the drive shaft replaced to fix the pedal/floorboard vibrations. Has anybody else had this done and has it solved the problem. I have had the problem since day one and have been living with it. But it seems to be getting a little worse and would like to have it fixed it that is the problem.
  • Options
    Hey, thanks a bunch for looking. Not really sure what I expected you to find, but.......

BTW: I've only every seen NF editions on the road here in South KC. One during the day, and one during the evening, which prompted my question about the cab lights.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    They tried the drive shaft,rear springs, cowl replacement route for the gas pedal vibrating problem. They gave up on trying to fix it, and gave me a nice prepaid oil changes and tire rotation policy for my trouble. I have another 15 months to go on the lease and have learned to live with it. Good luck to you.

To the rest of the board, if this 2003 Envoy was totaled, I would buy another again. The problems besides the vibrating pedal has been resolved to my satisfaction. It makes a great traveling salesman vehicle and not a week goes by that I dont get a compliment on the styling of it. That is no exaggeration!

2 Year!
  • Options
    lurker01lurker01 Member Posts: 103
    Had the Envoy in the shop last week. It has 31k+ on it so I gave them a 3 page list of gripes while it was still under warrenty.
    Got a new radio, fixed a wire clip on the rear defroster, got the 3rd rubber gasket around the lic. plate holder! (these keep getting messed up) Got a new battery. (old one died when left for 10 days) They did the recalls for the interlock and dash. Also had them upgrade the PCM.
    Paid for an oil change, fuel filter and tire rotation.

Now here is the funny thing. I was getting a pretty steady 17mpg average with my mixed commute of back roads, HWY and stop and go traffic. Now I am getting 20mpg! I reset the DIC after every fillup. I plan to do a verificaion of this when I fill up next, but I hope it is reading right! Not sure if the PCM upgrade did this or just the maintenence work made a difference.

Now the question: They want to change the front and rear axle fluid for $180, replace the transmission fluid and filter for $110 and replace the transfer case fluid for $70.
    They say all the fluids are dirty. They are the factory original fluids.
    So, is this really needed at 30k miles and if so, can I do some or all this myself? Has anyone else done this work on their own? How hard is it? Are the prices they quote reasonable or high?

thanks,

-John
  • Options
    John, I just did the transmission on my '02 tb last week. I bought a case of Redline D4 synthetic fluid $85, and part#24208576 , transmission filter kit for the deep pan $38.85 shipped from www.gmpartsdirect.com, and a B&M trans pan drain kit $7 @ a local auto parts place. The change is easy if you're handy with tools. The first change is a little more messy that subsequent changes because of the lack of a drain plug, hence that installation will help later. If you just want to do the tranny without changing out the fluid in the torque converter, some time and fluid will be saved. I switched to synth because I tow a lot. email me if you want particulars. tim quickdtoo_@comcast.net (loose the underscore)
  • Options
    paulpropaulpro Member Posts: 56
    Tim
    Is there a drain plug in the torque converter or how did you drain the fluid from it?

How many quarts of D4 did you use? The stuff is kind of pricey and I'd like to be right on. Don't need to run short and sure don't want to run over either.

Paul P
  • Options
    Paul, There's no drain for the TC, so I disconnected a trans cooler line, attached a length of hose to it, placed the end in a 1/2 gallon bottle then started the engine and pumped out ~1 quart at a time, then added a quart to the trans then repeat until I had used a total of 9 quarts, 6 to replace from the pan drop then 3 more. Checked the dipstick and it was right on. There are specific instructions on the www.amsoil.com website for this procedure. The best price I found for the D4 ($85-12 qts) was thru a Redline dealer, they have a list of em at their website www.redlineoil.com
    tim
  • Options
    My vibration is gone, I still feel the torque converter at 1500rpm around 40-45, but the vibration is gone as of now.

Tranny:
    I have a pump from my boat, hooks to the battery, cheap $14 bucks! It comes with several tubes, I always suck out all the fluid first into a clear bottle, to look at it. Every 30k for fluid changes is always my rule of thumb. Diffy fluid? its a 75-90w synthetic from the factory, plus there is a magnet inside the case. In my opinion, old oil is ok, if you always change it, you might develop a leak at a seal because it is thinner, old oil has its advantages. Trust me your ring gear and pinion are bullet proof, Oil doesn't help, it just cools thru our aluminum carrier!!
  • Options
    Ok how do you turn this thing off? It stays on for a 1-2 minutes at start up. LOL, I have changed my oil maybe 5 times, B4 this happened!!! Over 10k on engine, 1st time it came on!!!
  • Options
    tmac8tmac8 Member Posts: 32
    This happened to me about 6 months ago. My auto tech told me to turn key to on position but do not start, then pump gas pedal three times to floor to reset the computer. (Maybe it was five times I'm not sure. Try three first). It does work.