Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    and he said he heard the noise as well and that they would replace the shocks. After riding with him i showed him the 5-6 pages of paper work on the same problem and he was baffled that it was all done before . the sway bars were replaced the shocks were replaced the bushings were replaced and the axle was replaced . he told me that there was another TB in the same week as mine and same days with the same problem (WHAT A SHOCK THERE LOL) well anyway i picked it up on Friday and it seems ok i just know that it will come back my husband says just ride it with the radio on loud and forget it since they have tried every fix there are about 12 payments left and I might pay 6 off early .I must say the tech was good he also told me he was not impressed with the TB either. How about that. and the service guy that I usually work with drove off in his nice TOYOTA how was that to boot i thought it was a laugh . That is why he has no problems with his car . now I get it.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    A lady in the office has a 2003 Corolla which smells like rotten eggs all the time (from the a/c unit) and they can't fix it. After 2 visits they told her that she will have to live with it, that's the way it is.

I leased a Toyota Sequoia when they came out and had engines issues almost from day 1. Toyota actually let us out of the lease eventually as it could not be fixed.

Needless to say, Toyotas are not perfect either. From what I see, I'll keep my GM vehicles as save some $$. Our Bravada had a few small issues but it's running well now. My wife drives it and she loves it.
  • tmac8tmac8 Member Posts: 32
    Haven't seen any issues on this board about windshield wiper arms fading. About 40 percent of the plating is gone on mine, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. Anyone know if there is a TSB on this? Thanks.
  • kgowardkgoward Member Posts: 10
    Hi guys.
    I have a 2003 TB LT with 31000 on the clock. At 22k they did the sway bar fix and replaced a shock because of the rattle noise and rough ride. Now at 31k the rough/harsh ride is back with out the front end rattle. The ride it rough...every bump is jarring. The vehicle seems like it loses it's footing at highway speeds when it use to be very solid. I suspected the shocks but I took it to an independent shop and they said the shocks were fine. The dealer told me they felt no abnormal ride. I don't know that they even looked at it really. Any suggestions??
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    you might want to check your tire pressure. With the warmer temps, the pressure might be on the high end, especially at high way speeds. what do you mean by the vehicle loosing its footing? Is it drifting, is it pulling to one side or does it just bounce around when you go over a bump? One more thing, the shocks may be fine, but are they the correct shocks for the car. If they are too stiff, you will get a rough ride.
    I thought about the tire pressure. I checked and adjusted. All 4 were at 32-35psi.
    The vehicle seems to bounce a lot. It used to be a nice controlled ride. I realize that it's an SUV but it was better. The shocks are the OEM (Blisten??). The only desription I can equate it to is the same ride and handling characteristics when I had the sway bars replaced...only now the rattle/clucking is not there.
    Another thought is the body roll seems more....when you cut the wheel back and forth. Was never this bad. That is why I am wondering if it's the shocks. Like they are worn out.
    this truck is big $$ too and for it to have continuous small or big problems is just as annoying . i am not saying toyota is perfect but the fact is that the reliability is on their side as for all the consumer books i have read lately . i am not happy with two GM's in a row one with less then six months and a new tranny and this one with less then two months and a new muffler system?? i just thought it funny that the guy is telling me he has no problems with his car and then rides off in a toyota the way he talked it was like he had a GM that is why i thought it funny . i will be doing a lot of research befor I get into my next car .
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Then again, maybe not.

DETROIT (AP) -- Honda is recalling 600,000 minivans and sport utility vehicles because of a defect that can cause their transmissions to fail.

Honda said Wednesday that it has received no reports of deaths or injuries due to the defect. The recall includes 2002-2004 Honda Odyssey minivans, 2003-2004 Honda Pilot SUVs and 2001-2002 Acura MDX SUVs.
  • archie1934archie1934 Member Posts: 4
    Rear passenger window >> YES
    Sunroof close on ignition off >> NO
    Premium system wattage >> ????
    Owner of a 2002 TB LTZ

Also watch the tie rod ends > I had one fails state(MA) safety inspection at 18000 mi.
  • wpkelleysrwpkelleysr Member Posts: 51
    Had my '02 TB up to 115 MPH about a year ago - and hit the limiter. If this little device was not in place, it was pretty clear that I had a fair amount of punch left. It was like having an instant vacuum leak. TB is very stable at that speed. I can also hit the limiter at 80 MPH in second gear. Great car all around. 70K miles and going strong.

- WPK
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Returned this past weekend from a 2700 mile round trip to sunny Fla. Had 3 Kayaks on the Yakima Rack and 3 mountain bikes hanging off the back. Did the trip straight through both ways (approx 22 hrs each way). Truck was a pleasure.
    Very well mannered at 75 - 80 even with 3 boats on the roof. I would not even describe the wind noise as objectionable. The heated seat backs were just the ticket when the lower back started complaining, and the in dash CD changer ran almost continuously without excessive heat build-up in the head unit. I feel empathy for my triplet brothers and sisters that have trouble with their trucks. I can say however, if you are lucky enough to have a good one, they are very good!!!
    Only special treatment I've given mine besides appearance goodies has been Amsoil in the tranny and Mobil One in the oil pan
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Your back door should be locking with remote and key. You've got trouble. Perhaps the lock actuator is not working (shorted out) or the
    lock rod has come loose and dropped down into the door. It could also be a wiring problem. Unless you want to dismantle your rear door yourself, I'd recommend a good mechanic.
  • ericevansericevans Member Posts: 33
    I found a flap in the carpet under the passenger-side rear seat. Under the flap is a wire harness with nothing plugged into it. Next to this is a depression in the floor about the size of a pack of cards. Anyone know what this is for? It would be on a '02 Trailblazer LS.

Here is a picture of it.
    http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ericmevans/detail?.dir=/Eric%27s- +Pictures&.dnm=d9af.jpg

Thanks!
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    As near as I can tell from browsing the factory service manual, I think it's a connector for the Onstar system.
  • envoyenvyenvoyenvy Member Posts: 24
    odd. my 2002 Envoy has it as well, not plugged into anything. The only option that I know of that mine does not have is the DVD.

Mine does have a plastic housing where yours shows the depression, I didn't take it off so not sure what it is either.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    This is a question for ericevans ( or anyone who has done this before ).

I just saw the picture of your TB with the lights on the roof rack taht are standard for the NF edition TB. How did you get these? Where did you buy them and what did you wire them to to get them to work? Did it require drilling? I am interested in doing the same thing to my TB.
    problems they have replaced almost everything mentioned above the sway bars ,the shocks (TWICE) , the bushings and the Axle all to no avail . i am driving it around and not happy about it but my husband says it must be a defect of some sort or we are all missing something . it is either the noise is there or it just feels bouncy or it rides rough especially over bumps. I have to ask is yours an EXT? and what year is it? I have a 2002 EXT. I must say i am sitting out the lease and am done .I am even considering paying off the lease early but we will see.
    Mine is a 2003 LT Short wheel base. I went to my tire shop and the guy told me that the tires are not wearing evenly. I felt them and sure enough there is enough high spots to grab your hand as you run it over the tire. Plus they are starting to dry rot. There are only 32k on the tires.....I am disgusted that you buy a $34k vehicle and you get crap tires.
    I am not sure what to do. I was thinking of replacing the shocks...but the ones on there are good (at least they appear good). The tires are going to be next...plus I am starting to feel some vibration when I apply the break pedal. So I proabably have $1000 worth of tires, shocks, and breaks.
    But you hit the nail on the head....bouncy..just like when they replaced the sway bars. Just no noise.
    I got them from GMPartsDirect.com. With shipping they cost a crazy $190 for $.25 worth of pastic. Yes, I had to drill 1.25" holes in my roof and had to cut 1.25" off of the tracks in the roof rack. To make them work, I ran wire back to the tail lights and tapped into the parking/night lights. The first one took about two hours to install and the second one took about 20 minutes. It's pretty easy once you know what to do. '04 models may already have the proper holes but you'd have to remove the rack to check.

I've got the part numbers for non-EXT TB's if you need them. The parts cost twice as much from the dealer.
    Things I've had replaced on my '02 LS:
    A shock
    Sway bar
    Tail lights
    Circuit board for tail light
    4WD Switch
    Battery
    Missing screws
    The flimsy floor-hole lid in the back
    Fuel fill hose

Still need to get the rear wiper switch replaced.

I somewhat expect problems on the '02 since it was the first model year...I think.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    Had my '02 TB up to 115 MPH about a year ago - and hit the limiter.

I have the 3.73 rear end and I hit it at around 108-110. What rear end do you have?

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that there's a lot more there to be had. There may be an aerodynamic reason for it. The Buick Grand National was limited and I always wondered why until I got my Regal, (same body as the GN) up to 110 and the rear end got really light and squirrely
  • v8extv8ext Member Posts: 7
    ericevans, can you please send me or list the part numbers for this project. it sounds like something i might like to try. thanks.
    The parts you need for a non-EXT Trailblazer are 15163401, 15163402 and two 15163404.

15163401 -> $44.64
    15163402 -> $44.64
    15163404 -> $34.83
    15163404 -> $34.83

The first two parts are different for the EXT!

You'll need a 1" or 1.25" holesaw and a hacksaw. When you get the parts you can email me for more specific directions (ericmevans74-mail@yahoo.com). It will take 2-3 weeks for them to arrive since they are special order and cannot be returned.
  • cameokidcameokid Member Posts: 31
    Hello all

I have one remaining nuisance problem with my 2003 TB LT they can't seem to figure out.

Every couple of months my Service 4WD light comes on and the 4WD becomes inoperable. If I turn off the car and turn it on again, it clears itself and everything seems to work fine.

When I take it into the dealer, sometimes they get codes and sometimes they don't. Once I took it in while the light was on and the technician said there was no power to the rear grid.

So far to fix the problem, they have replaced my 4WD transfer control module, my ignition switch, and some sensor.

Don't know if it matters, but is always seems to happen when it's about 40 degrees outside and raining or very humid.

Anyone else having this problem, and any ideas on how to fix it?

PS - I got the weatherflectors too - like them and they look good, but they didn't noticeably reduce my road noise, and I tore my molding a little trying to install one of them.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    How about the 4WD selector switch? Those go wonky sometimes, causing the 4wd to not engage and the light to come on.
    there will be some sort of recall on the seatbelts?? My grandfather called worried about the great grand kids . He has a friend a chevy. I must say it wouldn't surprise me.
    I had a 4WD problem on my '02 from day one. It wouldn't always switch and sometimes tried to switch to 4-low on its own while flying down the highway. They replaced the switch and I haven't had a problem since.
    I had a seatbelt issue - but it was easily fixed. The belts would rachet up on you as the bumps and grinds of the road caused you to wiggle them. Turned out, this was not a problem, but built in by design to deal with car seats (so they don't just hang loose). To activate the mechanism, you simply pull the belt to it's limit - and then retract. Problem was however for those (like myself) that are a LITTLE larger, I would pull it out to its limit to simply belt myself in place - thus activating the rachet. If this is a problem for you, GM will replace your belts with larger ones free of charge (not sure if it's a warranty item or not, because mine was done during warranty). Trick is - the customer has to ask for the work to be done. If they don't, they won't replace. It's certainly not a safety issue however. (also, they will only do this for the front seats).
    3.73 is the lower gear, right? (I'm not real mechanical). I think I have the higher gear (I didn't get a spec sheet with the TB, because it had 5K miles on it when I bought it). I definitely get some of the better MPG figures that I've seen on these postings. Flat California Valley, sea level, at 50-55 MPH I can get 25MPG on the in dash brainiac. At 70MPH - it drops to about 21 - so I'm ptetty sure it is the higher gear (lower gear ratio?). That's my best guess.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    3.73 is in the middle of the 3 ratios. 4.10 provides the best get up and go and torque. 3.42 provides the lowest cruise rpm and the least torque.
  • elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    How many of you guys here have the GM card? I just got one yesterday. I already have a TB, but figure it will only help for he next purchase. Ther is currently a $2,250 limit on the TB. Is this something new? If you have an older card, can you use all of the points you have accumulated? Once you use these points from your old card, can you start rebuilding points in the same manner, or do they "upgrade" you to the new, and less desirable, card?

Thanks
  • seifordseiford Member Posts: 68
    The rules of the new GM card do not apply to the old card. We kept the old card..
  • pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Under the rules for the old GM Card, you can get a maximum of 3500 points--up to 500 points a year for 7 years, then they start expiring a month at a time. People who already had the old card were given a choice as to whether to go with the old card rules or the new card rules. I, too, chose the old card rules, since I don't buy a new car very often. But the card is a good deal, since I would have bought the purchases anyway, I might as well get back 5%. It's good for GM, too, since it tends to lock people into a GM again. When anyone goes to make a deal on a new car, do not mention that you have GM points until after you make your best deal.
  • ross1962ross1962 Member Posts: 229
    3.73 is in the middle of the 3 ratios. 4.10 provides the best get up and go and torque. 3.42 provides the lowest cruise rpm and the least torque.

3.42 also seems to provide you the highest top end. wpkellysr tripped the limiter at 115 with the 3.42 and I tripped it at around 108-110 with the 3.73. So, this tells me the limiter is strictly RPM and not MPH.
  • elevatorguyelevatorguy Member Posts: 87
    Pepper,
    Thanks for the info. The old card would be better suited for me also as I don't plan on getting a new vehicle for some time. For people that get a new car every 2 or 3 years though, the new card would be better as there is no yearly limit on earnings. You could conceivably earn the entire $2,250 TB maximum in the first year. For people that put all of their purchases and expenses on the vard and pay it off at the end of the month so that no interest accrues, the points will pile up very quickly.
    Has anyone here installed an LCD in their Trailblazer dash?
    Does anyone here know which aux input adapter would work with the non-Bose headunit in the '02 Trailblazer?

Or does anyone know how many pins are in the jack?

Thanks!
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    ericevans,
    I can't answer your question but maybe someone at this site could help you. I've been trying to figure out how to get XM radio but my '02 LS doesn't have the "band" button to use the Soundgate interface. I don't want the FM modulator.
    http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/search_results.pl?make=Chev- rolet&model=Trailblazer
  • kram18kram18 Member Posts: 45
    I have a Kenwood KVT911-DVD, the picture below was actually to show where the radar dector was mounted but the LCD snuck in it, I can take some better pictures if you want.

-Mark
    Is that a pop-out LCD or do you have a bracket in the crack? I'm trying to keep from blocking the vents, radio or climate controls but it looks like that will be difficult.

I mounted my radar above the mirror, extended the wire and ran it across the ceiling.
    That is a pop out LCD, here are detail shots of it open and closed.

as for the radar dector I though about putting mine above the rearview but didn't want those dots painted on the windshield blocking any signal espically laser :-) and have a clearer view out the back below the rearview.

-Mark
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    ericevans,
    I do have the CD/AUX button, but on left side of that toggle it says AM/FM. To get the Soundgate interface to work with the factory stereo for XM there needs to be the "BAND" button instead of the AM/FM. The band button would allow you to choose between AM, FM, or XM. I don't understand why the Soundgate interface can't use the AUX button to bring up the XM on the factory display. There is no good place for the XM display box and I don't like the way it looks or the FM modulator sounds compared to the '04 factory XM. I'm holding out for a better solution by GM or an aftermarket stereo maker.

I did see a custom job on that web site that I gave you of an LCD where a hole was cut in the middle of the dash behind the middle vents and a flip "up" LCD screen was installed in the hole. It looks like it was set deep enough that you could see the screen fine but still not block the view through the front window. It looked very nice and expensive. Sorry but I don't remember which TB it was on that site.
    Am I missing something here or are some of you installing
    tv's to watch while driving? The thought of someone watching Jerry Springer while driving 70 mph is very troubling. Please say it isn't so, or at least give us the state you do most of your driving in so we can stay away. BTW, I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic, the roads are dangerous enough without the distraction of TV. Now someone can eat, put on makeup and watch tv while driving to the Springer tv studio to star on the days program.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...watch while driving?

Don't fret! It's illegal.

tidester, host
    While yes my headunit DOES have a built in tv tuner and plays DVD's, the kind folk at Kenwood Electronics have made it so that you can't watch any moving picture unless the parking brake is engaged. But even if video did work while in motion it wouldn't be something I as a driver would watch, I would listen and the video is there for the rest of the passengers. Now how about going off on navagation screens in cars as IMO those are just as dangerous and work while in motion.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Not to mention all the people watching porn in their cars that is clearly visible in surrounding cars. Amazing that people can't wait to get home to watch that stuff!
    I agree with you, people who don't know where they are or where they are going should not be behind the wheel unless they have a guide to tell them where to go. There are too many distractions out there as it is. BTW, the people at Kenwood Electronics would have served the public better by inhibiting the screen unless the car is in PARK. The parking brake light activates with a slight activation of the parking brake. I'm sure someone will figure it out and chance premature brake wear to watch Jerry.
    the only problem is with our TB's try driving with the parking brake engaged 1 click... it emits a most annoying chime for a good 5 mins... (of course there is a work-around for the whole e-brake thing but I left mine as is.). What's up with you and Jerry? I think you have a secret affection for that show ;-) you mention it in every post! Seriously though it won't be too long till all cars have computers with internet connections in dash (as is already the case with some cars in Japan) and ultimatly it's going to be up to the drivers to act responsibly and keep their eyes on the roads. Distracted drivers have been around long before the invention of indash LCD's, hell I still occasionally see people reading a book that's in the center of their steering wheel while doing 75 MPH on the merrit parkway...
    no no no...this is for my GPS, MP3s and maybe OBD-II. I currently have no plans to install a tv tuner or dvd player.
    Their adapter must be for an XM ready radio. PIE, Blitzsafe and PAC make adapters for people that don't. I really wanna see if that AAI-GM24 would work with mine. PIE and Blitzsafe do NOT have one for the '02 Trailblazer.

I dunno if I wanna drill a hole through the top of my dash. That also would make it pretty visible and tempting to theives.