Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• aldan93aldan93 Posts: 202
    Don't even think about putting that truck in this forum!
  • if the only difference between the original triplets and the ranier and the ascender is cosmetics then why not?

they're built in the same factories using almost all the same components.

seems to me they should all be included here.
  • Do NOT follow the TrailBlazer instructions for the Bravada. It is literally a 30 second (ok 2 minutes the first time) operation on the Bravada. You don't remove anyting else; no grill, no trim, etc. Around the center top of the headlight assembly is a metal tab that you pull up (pull slightly forward and up). That's it. The headlight will be loose and you just pull it forward on the fender side, pop off the round rubber plug, and pull the bulb out. I bought the new bulb and installed it in the parking lot in just a couple of minutes total.
  • 2002slt2002slt Posts: 228
    I'd be ok with the Rainier in this forum, just not the Ascender.
    The Rainier is replacing the Bravada, so it belongs.
    The Ascender is just a marketing tool that will hopefully disappear soon.
    Just my very biased opinion. I really don't like the idea of seeing my Envoy with the "Joe Isuzu" badge on it.
  • Hey everyone thanks for the info it is a small crack so it can be repaired . I will have to have it done next week as this week all 3 kids are sick and in and out of the doctors office. I didn't know that there was a way of repairing a crack on a windshield always thought that it had to be replaced.
  • Does anyone else have a problem with the trailblazer around the lincse plate holder? It seems that the black sealant is peeling around the housing. If you have had this problem and had it fixed please let me know how long it was at the dealership for as this is my only means of transportation and to get an answer from the dealership is like asking the wall for help.
  • It seems that the black sealant is peeling around the housing.

I guess the bandaid for the chipped paint around the license plate housing isn't holding up too well?
  • I found my 02TB at another local dealer and then arranged a swap. When I picked it up, it had 350 miles and the dealer was only about 10 miles away. I noticed the window sticker had the name of a dealer in Buffalo. The other local dealer swapped with Buffalo and by the time I got it it had the 350 miles on it. The title says 350 and the warranty does goes to 36,350. As far as the break-in issue goes, I was worried at first until I spoke to a friend that is a GM mechanic. He told me no harm will be done putting the 1st mileage on the highway.
  • Thanks for the reply st1100v4. I realized I didn't need to go to the extent that one has to for the Trailblazer, but Tim's site had a good picture of the two metal tabs that need to be pulled up on each headlight assembly, so that's why I mentioned it. Does yours only have one metal pull up tab per headlight assembly? Mine had two each, and the outboard side clips on each headlight assembly were quite stubborn. I ended up having to use a screwdriver to pry up a little bit on the outside tabs for them to pop up. Not a lot of force, just a little more than I could achieve by hand. Over all it was as easy as you stated. Here's a little pic of the two clips as seen on a Bravada.
    My one error was thinking that I needed to pop loose the two clips that hold the grill in place near the hood latch to allow the headlight assembly to swing out more. To give me a little more room for my hand to get in there and twist the bulb out. After breaking the first clip that I tried to squeeze down to pop loose, I didn't mess with those any more and found I didn't need to try that at all on the second headlight assembly. Now knowing GM, I can't get one of those clip's without ordering a whole new headlight assembly.

So a word of caution to fellow Bravada owners. Learn by my mistakes and don't jack around with those two clips. If you see one of these, stay away :')
    I have another question on the headlights concerning adjustment. I wanted to confirm the white plastic torx head screws were the adjustment screws. And that the only adjustment available is vertical movement, no horizontal movement.
    If the included pics are too small, I have the original size pics on my site under pics. Let me know if the pics I posted are too small, so I'll know better than to post them next time.
  • Sorry about that! Just shows how bad my memory is since it was less than a month ago that I changed a bulb. I just walked outside and the tabs are as you stated (and pictured); two on each assembly. All 4 popped up easily (including the two on the other side that I hadn't messed with). Probably pretty easy for these to bind a bit.

When I initially looked at it when changing the bulb, I also thought that the inboard end of the light would have to be "unclipped" from the grill, but found that there was plenty of play.
  • gam2gam2 Posts: 306
    Anyone have a fix for the wind noise that appears to come from the center door pillar. It appears to come from the top of the rear window (near the front of the windows). My Bravada was not bad, but my Envoy is worse. I have taped off various seams, but that hasn't helped. The mirrors are not the problem. Could it be the roof rack? I have already removed the cross bars.

For those of you with rainsense wipers, the rainsense feature can be disabled by pulling the rainsense fuse. The delay feature works as normal.
    I did not like the way mine worked, slowing down when the light of oncoming traffic and speeding up after the car would pass.

GAM
  • ficussficuss Posts: 541
    gam2 did you notice anything else that might have stopped working since you pulled the fuse?

Which fuse panel is the fuse in?

Frank
  • I have not had the problem that many of you are referring to in regards to paint chipping off around the license plate holder, at least not yet anyway. Perhaps this may be of some help. When I first received the TB it came with plastic advertising plates. Once I received my real plates I took both plastic plates and stacked them both behind the back plate and screwed it in place without the plastic holder around the outside. The result is the plastic plates create enough of a space between the truck and the real plate that it doesn't seem to be rubbing at all and since there is no holder around the outside that is not a problem either. I left the front holder on since it's not causing a problem. I guess only time will tell if this works or not but it seems to be okay so far.
    The problem is not with the license plate itself, but with the large plastic frame it sits within. Approximately 2 feet by 1 foot in size. The problem with early models is that the paint chips where the plastic housing meets the metal of the tailgate.
  • I have a 02 TB LS and I miss the electrochromic rearview mirror like we have in the Impala. Does anyone know if is possible to just replace the regular rearview mirror with the electrochromic rearview mirror, plug it in (if the connection is up there)and it would work? Would the compass and tempature work also? thanks
  • That's a easy one then, don't use it.
    Ok...I guess I didn't explain it very well. Here's a link to Tim's website that shows in graphically:
    http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/paint-chipping-before-af- ter.htm
  • Aaaahhhhh! Never mind. Thank you. I take it this has been fixed for 2003?
  • Well - looks like the 2003s have the same problem that a lot of you with 2002s have commented on regarding the vibration/droaning noise present at highway speeds. My Envoy has a build date of Aug 2002, it is a 2003 truck.

I took it into the dealer earlier this week for this problem, they ordered new springs for it and I am expecting a call back when the parts come in. According to what I have read in this forum, that does not always fix the problem. Anyone have any other ideas on what to fix so I can tell my service manager? Thanks!
  • Good luck on that one. I get a vibrating and rumbling through my gas pedal and the floorboard around it as well over 40 MPH. At 70 MPH it makes your foot feel like its in a tickle machine. I had the springs replaced just like you are about to have done and it did nothing. They said it must be the torque converter, but I have shut the engine off at 70 and the vibration doesn't stop until it slows down to 40 so you can eliminate torque converter. Cant be the tires, the steering wheel is rock solid quiet. The dealer says they cant recreate but I figured out why, the problem doesn't occur below 20 degrees which has been the maximum temp since December. They tell me the pedal cant vibrate since its throttle by wire or what they call an actuator, but it does. I know im not crazy since other bullitain boards that are for Envoy owners report the same problem. No one seems to complain about it on this thread. As soon as its a warm day the dealer said he would take another stab at it. I have to tell you its so annoying, as soon as my Envoy qualifies for GM's pull through lease program, I may just dump it if they cant fix it.
  • Well - looks like the 2003s have the same problem that a lot of you with 2002s have commented on regarding the vibration/droaning noise present at highway speeds.

When did you guys first start to notice this problem. Has it been since day 1 or did it start later? We haven't had this issue with our 2003 Envoy XL..... yet.
  • gam2gam2 Posts: 306
    fiscuss

The fuse is under the rear seat, #29 I think. Check the owners manual. The wipers function normally as far as I can tell. Intermittent works as expected.

GAM
  • SLT model with the SLT C&C package, Polished wheels, 6CD Changer, side bags, and running boards. Carbon metallic outside, dark pewter inside. Very sharp.

Went through the GMS program and with the BONUS CASH got it for a few bucks under invoice. Bonus cash is $250 or $500 depending on market. I got $250.

I have the original GM card so all $3085 balance was applied + the BONUS that they said expired 1/31. It has been quietly extended till 2/15. Add another $1250 credit.

Total off sticker = $11,100 with all these programs. Found it impossible to say no.

Go get one. It can't get better than this..can it?

GS

PS: Wife drove it home. I may never get to drive it. She loves it!
  • ficussficuss Posts: 541
    Thanks Gam2 for the info. I don't like the rain sense wipers for one reason. If you don't turn them off when you turn the car off, and you take the car through a wash or if there is snow or ice on the windshield in the morning, they will start up when the car is started and possibly ruin the wiper motor or wiper arms.

Frank
  • If you don't turn them off when you turn the car off, and you take the car through a wash or if there is snow or ice on the windshield in the morning, they will start up when the car is started and possibly ruin the wiper motor or wiper arms.

Aaahhhh, it's nice to have a garage...
  • Total off sticker = $11,100 with all these programs. Found it impossible to say no.

Awesome, tell me you got 0% financing too! Don't you think the dark pewter looks great? We got the XL with the dark pewter and magnetic red metallic exterior. I never get to drive it either, the wife is always in it!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,576
    I think you meant to say "Aaahhhh, it's nice to have a garage that still has room for the XL..." It's a losing battle around here trying to keep a path clear from the car to the door :-)

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I think you meant to say "Aaahhhh, it's nice to have a garage that still has room for the XL..." It's a losing battle around here trying to keep a path clear from the car to the door :-)

I know what you mean, Steve. Our city recently went to the big 90 gallon trash cans, so it's tough fitting that, the Envoy XL, and the Intrigue in the garage. Luckily our garage is somewhat oversized.
  • aldan93aldan93 Posts: 202
    I had the springs replaced, it doesn't help, its worse when its very cold outside, 0-25 degrees, the vibration is in the steering wheel slightly, with an over all THMMMMMMM THMMMMMM in the cabin, The problem started or at least I noticed it about a week after owning, on 12/28/02. When I purchased the vehicle it was snowing like mad out so I only had the vehicle in 4wd/AWD, I had test drove 3 others, it did not do this! I have no time to bring this to the dealer, its not an awful vibration like a weight fell off the wheel, but its there! Otherwise no problems! When I do let off the gas you can't feel it!
  • cebtebcebteb Posts: 138
    Since the Ascender and Rainier are both rebadged versions of the original triplets, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be included on this board. They share the same capabilities and issues as the Trailblazer, Envoy, and Bravada. Interestingly, Isuzu has a "Mac Truck"-like reputation in the rest of the world, not the dorky reputation it has here in the U.S. From that standpoint, it's credible company for a truck to be in.

Actually, if any vehicles didn't belong on this board, it's the XLs. They aren't the same as the standard triplets. Different frame, body, driving characteristics (e.g., massive turning circle), and some with different engines. Not much in common there.