Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    Did you find any specifics on the Hotchkis product? When I looked their web site seemed rather limited, like no links to any additional info. Wonder if they will sell just the front bushing parts but the price seems within reason for the whole kit. I emailed them so maybe Monday will hear back.

BTW my old original low side cycling switch continues to work, and worked great for over 5 hours continuously last weekend. I have never had mine quit cooling or that switch quit cycling after the system gets cooled down. So like Nuyorkah said, it might not fix the particular problem you are having. The issue I have is the High side cutting out after startup in the hot afternoon. I can pretty much keep the compressor on, not cutting off, if I let the system cool for a min or so with the fan on 1 and definitely in Recirculate. Those with insufficient cooling after everything gets stabilized, make sure you are in Recirculate. Too bad they don't incorporate a slow blower fan speed ramp-up like my Dad's old '79 Caddy did. It would gradually increase the fan speed up to your setting, as the evaporator would get cool and not blast you with hot air in the face. Old-tech. My home a/c sort of does the same thing the old Caddy did- precools the evaporator before the fan turns on to get the coils cold quicker and not blast hot humid air into the house.
  • wxman4wxman4 Posts: 53
    I originally inquired to see if the Hotchkis bar was good for the extend models as well, I have an EXT. The reply follows; about all I know.

""I believe the bars will work on the EXT. We found that the vehicle only needed a rear upgrade and we include new bushings in the front. What engineering believes GM did was designed it with such a soft front spring, that they needed to over compensate with the huge front bar they installed. That combination left it with a lot of under steer, where it feels like the front end is pushing out towards the curb in turns. The addition of our rear bar will balance it out. We may also have a lowering kit available in the future also.
    Thanks,
    Mark""

Good Luck
    Wxman
  • My question was, will it be offered in the 2004 models? Edmunds says no and the GMC site wont switch to the 2004 models until they are well on their way to clearing out the 2003 models.

And Tblazed...I would have driven 200 miles to find an Envoy with the G80 as well. My dealer sold me the Envoy that was on the lot at 400 below invoice,(BEFORE REBATES!) to entice me to give up the G80. It was the end of last year and GM had a big big contest to push up their market share for the year. I had talked to him right from the get go, no locker, no deal! Every man has their price, and for 400 below invoice Ill even lease it with the over priced Onstar.
  • ltz2003ltz2003 Posts: 24
    I didnt install the switch it was a warranty thing. When the parts guy ordered it he said they had a ton of them. I ordered mine in new castle pa.All dealers are close to being the same. I know people at this dealership and they know me. But they dont know to much maby they should read edmunds because i had to tell them what it needed to fix it and show them the print out of the problem.If i have anymore problems i will do the same thing so i know it will be fixed .
  • Since the end of the month was coming up I jumped and got a 2003 Trailblazer LTZ.

I was on the GMS plan and had the GM card. Got a few other discounts with it. Pretty much "fully loaded". Only option it didn't have was traction control, Bose system, and XM radio)

MSRP $36,495
    Invoice $33,000
    TMV $33,400

Mine before
    tax $25,300

Figured $11,200 off MSRP wasn't shabby :)

It's at another dealership and should be in Monday or Tuesday. I hope there won't be a ton of problems as it seems most people seem to find this vehicle problematic.

Guess I'll get a speaker upgrade and a XM thing put in in a couple of weeks. Is the 6 disc changer and LTZ package have any better speakers than the base LS?
  • fomjr1fomjr1 Posts: 1
    03 LT 2WD/TB has had AC problems for 5 months. Dealer has put in two new switches and compressor. Now they say it is operating in spec. Does anyone know what the specs are?

It did work for a few days but when the temp goes into the high 80's it just doesn't seem to do the job. Air temp coming out of vent is 58-64. Recirculate helps some. Auto climate control I thought was supposed to be good?
  • ron_mron_m Posts: 188
    I believe that someone posted a message here a while back that GM was dropping the LTZ model from the TrailBlazer line in 04'. Can anyone confirm this? If they do, what model/trim package will GM use to replace the LTZ in regards to the standard options that it offered?

Ron M.
  • aldan93aldan93 Posts: 202
    Well first I would like to tell you guys that I have figured out why sometimes my MPG is 15-16 versus 19 MPG 50/50 high/city.

#1 I used to fill up at Sunoco, they use 10% Ethanol always got 15-16 MPG

Started using Mobil, I have been getting a consistent 19MPG

Stay away from the ethanol blends it kills your MPG.

I did fill up at Sunoco once in between just to see if I was nuts, Nope 17mpg.

So take it for what its worth! food for thought!
  • rad225rad225 Posts: 15
    I had my noisy tach fixed at the dealer, they had the TB overnight to allow the dash to cool off. In the morning they could clearly hear the noise. It took them a while to find the fix, according to the service advisor, when they called GM tech support, the were advised that the problem was rare. It is being tracked by GM in the "confidential" category of Trailblazer problems. Not enough tachs have failed to become a TSB.

The fix is to replace the entire instrument panel cluster. They installed a rebuild unit, it works fine. The tach noise is now limited to engine start up, which IS normal. Thanks to everyone for their replies, the information from this chat room helped cut through the BS when I returned to the dealer.

By the way, my loaner car was a rental Xterra, what a piece of junk, my kidneys are still recovering from the poor ride.

Thanks again,
    Rick
  • Can you break down the numbers for us? How many GM points did you have? Sounds like the deal of the century. Congrats!

Elevatorguy
  • Anyone here using the California Water Board or any similar squeegee product to dry their triplet instead of a chamois or towel? They look like a real timesaver. They claim the blade is surgical grade silicone and won't harm the finish. Anyone notice any scratches? Also, when washing and waxing, how is everyone reaching the roof? Do you use a small step ladder or what?

Thanks,
    Todd
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Posts: 383
    It took me 28 years to figure this out, but use the same thing a car wash does-AIR. A leaf blower works fantastic & saves on laundry too. Just pat down the remaining water beads with a chamois or towel & you're done! However, take into account I only recommend this if you're on a sloping surface where there is no standing water from your car wash to avoid electrocution.
  • cparise1cparise1 Posts: 109
    I have been using a silicon blade, purchased at Shopko for about $12, almost since buying my '02 Envoy XL SLT in May of '02. Its not totally effective and requires going around the truck at least twice. Even then, you've got to use a damp towel to completely remove all the water spots. I started using the silicon blade to avoid making swirl marks or scratching the paint. When I use the damp towel I don't go in a circular motion as if rubbing, I just use a straight line swipe. Guess I am a little fanatical but I also bought an exterior, interior, rust protection, and sound deadening package called "The Protector" at truck purchase time. No need to wax is the claim and so far I agree, the finish is like a mirror and beads water like its just been waxed. And no swirl marks under close scrutiny either--so I must be doing something right! Also, I use car wash soap specially formulated for car's, not Dawn. Do you know dish detergent is so strong they use it to break up ocean oil spills? And look what it does to your hands in the house! Ouch!
    Happy Motoring,
    Chris
  • cparise1cparise1 Posts: 109
    I like the leaf blower idea, I just haven't tried it yet. With a vehicle this big it is a fantastic idea.
    Chris
  • zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    and I use compressed air....same thing many detail shops use. Gets all the water out of crevices and hiding spots like under mirrors, inside trim channels, etc.
  • Good idea on the compressor. Do you use a real portbale compressor that you can run air tools from or are you using a very small portable that guys use for airbrushing and filling up basketballs and inflatable toys? Do you have an adapter that "fans" out the air or do you use the regular fine point nozzle?

Thanks,
    Todd
  • Breakdown was like this:

$31,925 GMS Price
     <$ 3,000> Rebate
     <$ 500> Cash to dealer
     <$ 250> GM Employee Incentive
     <$ 695> On Star credit
     <$ 2,173> GM Card (original black card)
    -----------
      $25,307

I may still have another $250 coming as GM Bonus Cash, he is having to check. It was sent with my GM Card earnings. It may be the same as the employee incentive though.

The GMS rebate was $3,750, the first 3 items. In Texas there is a Texas truck rebate on trucks and SUVs. It's $500. That may be the only thing I did not get that I might have been able to. I pushed it a few times and the guy got annoyed, I was at a heck of a deal already so let it go after about the 3rd time.

It may not have been combinable with the GMS price, but I can live with the $500 loss over a few years :)

Luckily I checked the Cheverolet webpage a few days before and noticed the $695 off if you get an 03 TB with On Star. It's included on the LTZ. Didn't think they would take it, but sure enough they took my printout of the page and said ok. Said they didn't even know about it.

Pays to do your research.
    I use a 110 volt, 15 gallon unit with an air hose and a trigger nozzle (fine spray, about a 1/8" hole). With 120 psi, you don't need a fan nozzle - the pinpoint works great, and is easier to hit cracks and crevices.
    would be to get an aftermarket Eaton unit and have it installed at any competent 4WD shop. I had a limited-slip put in my '88 S-10 due to its tendency to spin the r-rear tire on any road surface the slightest bit wet with the torque of the 4.3 V6 it has, and the whole turn key deal was just under $500.
    A friend's daughter has decided she needs a Trailblazer, so we were looking. Had not read anyone else mention they charge $50 extra for the 3.73 or 4.10 ratios now? That was always a no extra charge choice. Also that the rear window defogger is now a $190 option? Even my LS with the 1SC pkg. came with that. Anyway she's discouraged now. I guess they figure MOST people or prospective buyers won't notice the decontenting. I advised her to look for a good low mile, clean late '01 mfg'd 2002 to get the decontented goodies, the engine warranty extension, and where to look for the date.
  • I think the website and Edmunds are not quite what the LS TBs on the lots were. Of the 10 or so I saw on the lot here, they were all well equiped.

Had cruise, rear window defogger, etc.

I doubt she could even find one that didn't, judging by the ones I've seen.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,212
    There's probably some discussion about this in the Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) discussion, but I'd be careful to make sure the fan blades are clean before blowing air from a leaf blower gizmo on my newly washed car.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    From what I can see on Edmunds regarding next years models, it looks like the locking differential is no longer being offered as an option.

Isn't the locking differential required in order to get traction control on the 2WD model?

Had not read anyone else mention they charge $50 extra for the 3.73 or 4.10 ratios now?

The window sticker on my '03 Envoy XL shows $0.00 for the 3.73 gears. I bought it last December, so maybe they have started charging for it now?
    somehow, standing in a puddle of water with an electric power tool....just doesn't sound very smart.
  • kmhkmh Posts: 143
    Could you elaborate where and how to replace the faulty switch? I'd rather do it myself than have to sit out the whole day without my truck.

btw, I had mine replaced back in Jan/Feb. and it's now the A/C's blowin hot air again. Geez.

Many thanks.
  • ross1962ross1962 Posts: 229
    "somehow, standing in a puddle of water with an electric power tool....just doesn't sound very smart. "

Most leaf blowers are gas powered.
  • pepper50pepper50 Posts: 195
    Dawn detergent (the brand most recommended) is used selectively and indeed should not be used as your routine car shampoo since it removes any wax. It is used only when you WANT to remove the old wax and road grime in preparation for preparing the paint (i.e. claying, etc) before applying a fresh polymer or car wax. So a Dawn wash would normally only be necessary once a year or so. But once you wash with Dawn, then you MUST reapply a wax or polymer. Then for your weekly washes you can use one of the formulated shampoos made for cars. But for cleaning off all previous waxes, etc., the vast majority of car detail websites and discussion groups recommend Dawn; that's where I learned to use it. I use the Dawn once a year, reapply polymer, then all the routine washes after that are with Meguiar's Liquid Gold car wash. I occasionally apply some Blitz wax afterwards. As far as drying, I have fallen in love with the Absorber that you can get at WalMart and similar stores; one pass over the car and no streaks or spots. It can be used for lot of other things too. I take one to the lake and dry my body after a swim. It's incredible how much it can absorb; I guess that's why it got its name :)
  • Before I go search the warranty boards thought I would check here. When I purchased my TB a year and a half ago, I also purchased an extended warranty through the dealer from Olympicare Service Plan which is insured by National Warranty Insurance Co here in Lincoln NE. I financed the warranty with the TB for 3 years at 0% interest through GMAC.

Long story short - National Warranty Insurance Co is soon to be liquidated. Since I financed the warranty payment with the TB through GMAC, HOW CAN I STOP PAYMENT OF THE DEAD WARRANTY PORTION OF MY MONTHLY GMAC PAYMENT?

There have been many articles in our local paper because this will cause the loss of 150 jobs. I know, I should have done my homework regarding warranties but since this was my first American vehicle and a 1st year model..... I live and learn the hard way. SO WHAT SHOULD I DO? I only have 20,000 miles on the TB and the warranty is a 6 year 90,000 mile warranty.
  • lawrencew1lawrencew1 Posts: 15
    I have an '03 Envoy and the map lights and visor mirror lights stopped working! Does anybody know if they are related to a fuse? Which one? Location? Also, everybody who is experiencing A/C problems, are you hearing a hissing sound?
    Question is, did GMAC simply pay the premium to NWI in full when you bought the TB and include that amount in the total financed deal, or are they paying in installments which I doubt. I hate to say it, but you might be stuck unless you can managre to get a refund from NWI.