Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Question for the board i don't have a headlight out but was thinking about replacing the bulbs to the Sylvania Silverstar high performance bulbs. I was concerned because i remember hearing some people having trouble with the wiring in the triplets the wiring couldn't handle the wattage. i called Sylvania they said that they didnt know of any trouble they said the wattage is 65 i think that is 10 more than what we have now. Any feed back would be helpfull
  • THANKS to Scottc454 for listing a link to the website: www.howstuffworks.com This is an excellent site for obtaining general information! After referring to this link over the weekend, I spent over an hour on the site reading up on How Stuff Works! Cool site...

Second, on the wandering mirror issue, I think that GM has corrected about 90% of the problem as compared to when the triplets were first released. Oddly enough, I am making my first trip to the service department this Thursday for my 03 Envoy SLT XL V-8.

At 5K on the odometer, still performing beautifully, however I am having intermittent trouble with my driver's side mirror. I would say about 90% of the time, it retains the correct position at all times, however the other 10% is a different story. For some particular reason, when the driver's side mirror engages the reverse-tilt mechanism, at least once every 2 weeks the mirror will decide to tilt UPWARDS and OUT... the exact reverse of what it was programmed to do! Luckily, once it engages in this erratic behavior, it will continue to do so until I readjust the settings and hold down my memory one button (making it easy for the service guys to check into). So.. I will keep you all posted on the outcome of the mirrors.

Also, I noticed about a month into ownership that there is a tear in my leather seat surrounding the side-airbag? After showing this to my servicing tech, he ordered me another seat cover and mentioned that he would install it himself being careful not to scratch the plastic trim. Yes, unfortunately I had two tears in my leather seats on my regular length 2002 Envoy SLT and during their attempt to replace the seat covers, they scratched the door panel, center console, etc and had to replace them. After the door panel replacement, they rattled constantly with the radio on! So, I do appreciate his courtiousness in allowing me to watch and possibly assist in the upcoming seat cover replacement process. Also, I begged and pleaded with my service advisor that I would "rather" have the replacement seat cover that has the back pocket (like the 02's did for both driver and passenger sides) and after reassuring him that the seating is the exact same as the 02 models, he winked and said that he would have them order one with the pocket attached! :-)

Last but not least, the service writer showed me this particular website via GM's Dealer World system that brought up all of the details concerning my vehicle including; Where it was manufactured, date and time assembly was completed, all specific order codes for options and trim, etc. Kinda nice! I asked for a printed copy, but the online printer goofed, so he asked that I remind him this upcoming Thursday? Anyone else know of this particular dealer world website? Many of you may want to request this document during your next service visit to have for your records.

Thanks!

IExplore2000
  • Forgot to mention in my previous posting... A friend of mine has plans to take his 02 Envoy SLT in for servicing this Thursday as well for several items and asked for my assistance with this vibration issue.

He has approximately 32K on the odometer and around the 25K mark, I noticed what I can best describe as "drive line vibration @ highway speeds?" I am 100% sure that it is not the tires, nor is a vibration felt in the accelerator area as many have previously mentioned on this forum.

I think that the best way to describe this problem is as follows: Occurs anywhere from 65 - 80+ mph and it sounds like a machine type brrrrrrr/growwl.. (i.e. tool sharpener/grinder rotating very fast and vibrating.. when you shut the unit down, the vibration slows then eventually goes away??)? Sitting on the passenger side, you can really feel and hear the vibration/noise but once the vehicle gets below 65 mph, the noise goes away?

I rule out tires in this case because I can let the steering wheel go and it does not shake at all.. very smooth. The only possible idea that I immediately thought of centered around the locking differential fluid needing to be changed? It's just very odd because prior to the vibration starting, you simply heard wind noise and a little hint of the engine while on the freeway. Now, you can here and feel this vibration (resonance) and it makes taking a 30+ minute trip in the vehicle very tiresome.

Anyone has any ideas or experienced a similar issue? Ultimately, I would like to have a little ammunition for him to take over to the servicing dealership in hopes that they don't rule out this issue as being "normal engine noise."

Thanks!

IExplore2000
  • aldan93aldan93 Posts: 202
    Zapcat, to date, not one(1) oil pan has leaked, believe it or not GM did this in order to lower the center of gravity, plus give it a better look. It actually adds strength in collisions!

Re vibration, it could be the rear springs, or drive shaft.
  • ficussficuss Posts: 541
    envoylover, next time your blower motor changes speeds slightly, look at the voltmeter and see if the voltage is fluctuating at the same time. If so, let the service dept know the next time you're in for something else.

tblazed: Ed, what exactly is an artifact in the fan control? Does it have a part number? Can it be replaced to correct the problem?

Frank
  • traded my 2002 bravada for a 2004. you may think that this dude is nuts. my 2002 did a great job, it had the small problems and they were fixed. the 2004 handles better, less body roll, they took a few standard items away but made a better suv.
  • When I had new tires put on my 2002 Bravada, they left the lights on with the ignition key in and ran the battery down. After recharging, the car runs fine but the Check engine soon light stays on. Is there a way I can turn this off without taking it to the dealer?
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Posts: 266
    Not sure how the triplets system works but on other OBDII systems I've worked with removing the negative battery cable and turning the ignition key to on but not start, then off then reinstalling the cable will clear the CEL but it also clears any codes set that will help service determine the cause of the CEL. Your call. tim
    no Ed, it is an 2003 Infiniti G35, but I still have my TB. I still need something to haul stuff in.
     By the way Ed, when you copy or reference the work of others, you should give them credit, possibly a footnote to explain that these words are not yours. When you don't, it's called plagiarism. (to take ideas, writings etc. from another and pass them off as your own.) From Webster's dictionary. Now if you would like to get back to the possible reasons for a blower motor speed varying, I'm sure there are plenty of them. One of which can be the alternator voltage fluctuating. It is the easiest to check, and is do-able by anyone with a voltmeter on their dash.

Frank
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,441
    If everyone is finished picking nits, perhaps we can get back to the Triplets....

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thank you, it worked and saved me a trip to the dealer
  • cparise1cparise1 Posts: 109
    I've noticed many a time when someone will post a question that can sometimes be answered by simply referring to the owners manual. You can view your owners manual on-line and maintain all your service records through this GM web-site. The site will also track your mileage based on your daily driving estimates and remind you when your vehicle needs servicing. You'll also be made aware of any recalls if you store your VIN on the site. Should add to your owning experience and provide some value. Its free.

I've had some fun with it. Check it out. https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home

Happy Motoring,
    Chris
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,441
    Aw, c'mon Chris -- that's no fun!

Subaru has a similar site; must be some GM/Subaru cross-pollination at work.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Not to sound like a smart guy , but open your gas cap, and securely place it back in!
  • Nice! Too bad 2004 will be the last year for the Bravada. I thought it was perhaps the nicest looking of the three (I have the TB).
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    I think everyone knows the Envoy is the nicest looking of the three.
  • scottc454scottc454 Posts: 356
    I think everyone knows the Envoy is the nicest looking of the three.

From my totally objective viewpoint:

The Envoy looks good for a minivan. The Trailblazer is the only one rugged enough to not look out of place on the trail. However, I can understand that its styling is too aggressive for lesser mortals who are better served by soccer mom vehicles.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    When your username is envoyenvy then everything sounds like envoy envy to you! ;-)

tidester, host
  • kpp14kpp14 Posts: 62
    prefer the extended Trailblazer. Now that looks like a mini van! Great big 7 seat keilbasa bus going down the hiway! Definately the best looking is the Envoy short box in black. The rear window trim matches the body colour. And as for you guys who like to hang 100lbs of plastic accessories off your trucks........(any takers on this one)?
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Posts: 100
    I spoke(separately)to 3 Techs today they all said they have yet to see any complaints about this. They stated what we are experiencing is not abnormal its just a slight voltage drop. Ficuss stated this in post #12478. Unless its really bad don't worry all is fine.
    "Question for the board i don't have a headlight out but was thinking about replacing the bulbs to the Sylvania Silverstar high performance bulbs. I was concerned because i remember hearing some people having trouble with the wiring in the triplets the wiring couldn't handle the wattage. i called Sylvania they said that they didnt know of any trouble they said the wattage is 65 i think that is 10 more than what we have now. Any feed back would be helpfull"

I have had the Silverstars in for about 3 months with no problems. When I changed the low beams one side had a Philips at 55w the other had a Sylvania at 51W. The Silverstar 9006 low beam is 55W. The 9005 high beam is 65W thats 5W more than the stock. I believe the people with problems were using higher wattage bulbs that are not street legal. Also one thing to remember is these bulbs will not last as long as the stock bulbs, Sylvania website states 1 year with normal usage. They are not taking into account the that the Triplets have Daytime Running Lamps, so on nice clear sunny days I turn off the DRL's. To add I am totaly happy with my very white headlights. On the downside the fogs don't match they look yellow I don't use them together any more. Sylvania has plans to release the fog bulbs later this year.
    "Last but not least, the service writer showed me this particular website via GM's Dealer World system that brought up all of the details concerning my vehicle including; Where it was manufactured, date and time assembly was completed, all specific order codes for options and trim, etc. Kinda nice! I asked for a printed copy, but the online printer goofed, so he asked that I remind him this upcoming Thursday? Anyone else know of this particular dealer world website?"

Dealerworld is for dealers only. You do need a username & password to access the site. If you don't get your info Thursday and you have an email addy that you don't care about making public post it and I can probably get the info on your truck for you and email it to you.
  • Credit goes to brad at the mct forums.

If you check here
    http://www.jetchip.com/DynoSheets/DynoSheets.asp#Chevrolet

They have the envoy on a dyno. Largest gain is 21hp at 4500 rpms. Might just make the jet chip a good investment for a quick upgrade.

and regarding the looks of the envoy vs. chevy. I like the grill better on the envoy, but body and curves definitely go to chevy. =) I actually decided against the gmc because of those round reverse lights in the back bumper.
  • I have a 2002 Envoy, Built 6/01, that is showing the same profile exactly. I got mine as a, "previously owned", vehicle. When I first got it, I didn't notice the Problem. I test drove it prior to purchase, but never noticed anything wrong. It took about three weeks before it showed up. I took the truck in to the dealer, and got the expected response. They couldn't figure it out. They did the tire balance trick, no help there. Went to the computer and found a FSB about the rear springs. Replace them for vibration. Problem there, my truck has the air suspension on the rear. Can't replace springs that aren't there. Their solution, pump the tire pressure up to 45 psi. What the heck is that. They did it twice on me. Both times I brought it back down to 32 PSI. Thank goodness for the on board air compressor to adjust it when I took too much out. Interestingly, I live in the HOT southwest. Temps have been in the HI 90 to century mark daily for the last month. For the last two weeks, the noise and vibration has diminished greatly. It is at a point right now where I could not take it in and complain about it. Don't know the significance of all that. Will have to wait and see what happens. One thing to look at, book calls for 87 octane fuel. I was putting 86 octane in. Noise/vibration showed up. I went to 91 or 88 octane, depending where I was buying. Sticking with the 88 and things have smoothed out. Any other opinions on this? Very open for discussion.
  • 2002 Envoy SLT

For those that are interested, I keep fuel mileage data on all my vehicles. I do it in MS Excel. Have a spreadsheet I have used for years. Put in miles driven, gas used. My DIC matches the numbers I get from EXCEL right on. My overall average is 21.3 MPG.

Those that don't trust the DIC, reset it and try again. I think it is very close on my truck.
    Holy cow, thanks for mentioning it, Have any of you people seen the Honda Pilot, It looks like a jacked up Dodge caravan from behind, I thought I was passing a Dodge caravan the other day, and it was a new dark red Pilot, LOL, what an ugly vehicle!!! Now that looks like a mini van, As far as ours go, the Bravada is hands down better looking than the TB or EV, I own a TB.
  • Geez.. You all sound like a bunch of 5th graders screaming "Mine is better than yours!" I really cannot believe what I am reading! Ha, ha..

Truth of the matter is that all THREE vehicles are pretty much identical and beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholding in the case of the triplets. To each their own, but essentially, we all own the SAME vehicle! They are all manufactured at the same facility (with the exception of the EXT models)!

Geesh!

NEXT SUBJECT!!! Hopefully something a little bit more of substance??

<SMILE>

IExplore2000

PS: Essentially, we all are driving mini-vans in the format of 4x4's! Ha, ha.. Oh.. to tip the scales a little further, ever consider the fact that we are all essentially driving STATION WAGONS without the wood trim on the outside! EEEEKKK!!!
    I have noticed, that while driving either my TB or any other rather fast, powerful vehicle I happen to be in control of, the only tailgates I get to see passing by me are either Honda Odyssey or the top of the line Chrysler minivans. These two cars seem to be in front of, and going faster than most other traffic. So lets not knock the mini vans too hard, lest they blow us off of the road.

Frank