Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• tmac8tmac8 Posts: 32
    After installing the Borla cat-back exhaust and racking up about 1000 miles, I recently checked fuel economy on a 6 1/2 hour one way trip and back. 2002 Envoy with 27000 miles and 3.73 gears.
    On a 90 degree day with 15 mph head wind, I still improved mpg by 2 1/2 miles per gallon. Checked the same coming back. Although I did not buy it for increased mileage, it was a pleasant surprise.
    BTW, I had the license plate gasket replaced twice and had no problems with paint or cement.
  • My take on the gasket. If yours came from the factory with it on, should be no issues with chipping paint or paint problems. The early 2002 models (mine was one) came from the factory without any gasket at all, and lots had problems with the plastic piece expanding in the heat and scraping the paint.

In my case, the paint was scraped a bit but not through the primer. The gasket covers where the paint is scraped, so I am not concerned with it. I saw some Envoys on the lot with the "oozing glue", so I asked the tech if it was a problem. He said they used no glue when they replaced, just tightened it in place. My guess is that they use the glue at the factory to hold them in place for assembly.

At any rate, mine looks great without any glue used. My truck is black, an extra plus because it makes the gasket practically invisible.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Posts: 161
    Flirting with 35K miles and have convinced myself that an extended warranty will be a worthwhile investment. Considering the GM Major Guard. I live in NY but am looking at Blacks in PA. My only concern is the clause in the warranty that says to call the dealership at which the warranty was purchased to arrange for covered repairs.
    Has anyone experienced a problem with using the warranty using a dealer other the where you purchased it?
    Any comments on the overall quality of the GM Warranty?
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    Haven't seen this topic in over a year. Was reading in the new August '04 GM Techlink that GM, BMW, Honda, and Toyota together have come up with a new higher standard for gasoline - TOP TIER gas. Has to meet standards higher than the EPA sets.

The organization's web site explains a lot in detail-

http://www.toptiergas.com

That "cheaper, high volume" station I was using over a year ago is QuikTrip which is on the short list of brands (2 so far) that have met this new standard. Probably explains why I didn't have any idling problems with that brand, but started to have an intermittent stumble in the idle after using gas about 6-7 tanks from Sam's. The other brand that qualifys for TOP TIER is Chevron-Texaco. Shell says they will be certified by the end of the summer.

Something new to consider when choosing which brand of gas to buy.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I would suggest that you do what I did. Take the Black dealership quote into your local dealer and tell them you will offer the same price that Black will sell it to you for. Tell them you would rather they get the money than Black. My dealer did it in a heartbeat. I imagine yours will too.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Posts: 161
    Thanks Hardhawk.. I am indeed planning that approach but wanted to understand the consequences of my contingency plan of buying from Black in case my dealer would not deal.

In ealier discussions with the dealer, they were trying to push me to a different warranty provider claiming that they have better luck dealing with them.
    My bet is they have a higher profit margin.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I think you are right about the profit margin. Some people I know have been burned when they bought an extended warranty plan from the company their dealer was pushing and the company went under, leaving the buyer holding the bag. GM isn't going to go under and you have the added bonus of being able to use it anywhere at any GM dealer, should you have a problem while on a trip or away from your home dealer.
  • fpannofpanno Posts: 8
    Is tblazed out there?? Do you have pictures on how you fixed your wind noise?? Message #6330 is what I'm intrested...and any other fixes you since then. Thanks
  • gmfangmfan Posts: 188
    I would not worry if an aftermarket warranty company goes out of business. In most cases, another company will buy the defaulting or bankrupt company's book of business. For example, if my Mastertech goes under, it gets transferred to an actual insurance company rated "A" by A.M. Bests. Also, keep in mind there is probably a kickback or rebating the dealership receives from steering you with one warranty provider or another...which could put dealer in a position of conflict of interest.

My AC quit working this weekend. I turned off motor and re-cranked and everything is fine. I remember seeing many previous messages regarding this. Is this the AC switch everyone talks about? After vehicle has been sitting for thirty minutes or more when trying blow cold air, it will cycle blowing hot hair, and then cold, then hot air, and then finally continue cooling. My compressor was replaced one month ago and I wonder if this is related.
    Seems there are several noise sources and several various fixes people have had luck doing. The things I did to mine might not necessarily apply to yours. email me and I will send you a few pics of what I did.
    Thanks for the quick reponse. New to this message board. How do I get your email addresss??
    Tblazed- Doing a little research on my AC problem and read your message # 11880 first paragraph which exactly describes what I am expierencing. Was there a final fix to yours?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You can access a Town Hall member's profile by clicking on the user's name at the top of a post. You will be able to view the user's email address if the user has elected to make it visible.

tidester, host
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,144
    People thought that Warranty Gold was safe too:

"Warranty Gold" Claims

Are Extended Warranties Warranted? (Smart Money)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Nope - still does the same thing after one "update" done. A friend that has a similar '02 LS like mine had it addressed several times before his went out of warranty, reprogrammed, replaced the low side cycling switch, etc., and still does the exact same thing mine does. Almost acts like it is slightly overcharged with refrigerant and the high side pressure on a hot day causes it to cut out. It is designed to cut out if pressure goes too high and exceeds a set value, and will delay re-engagement until the pressure drops back, but seems too sensitive for real world conditions. If yours wasn't doing that before they changed your compressor, maybe they put in a bit too much R134 in yours.
    Yes, Warranty Gold got upside down for consumers, and there was indication of financial problems back in June 2003 when A.M. Bests downgraded the insurer from "B+" to "B"...this is why I cannot stress the importance of making sure the insurer for the aftermarket has at least an "A-" rating or better. Anytime the financial rating drops to "B" recovers are rare and it is only a matter of time.
    tblazed: Reference message 15141...no luck with your email address (they have your email as private). Looking forward to those pictures/web site for the wind noise fix. Thanks, fpanno
    "In March, they were given an A- rating by A.M. Best. All of a sudden, 60 days later, they're in liquidation."

St. Petersburg Times

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• cbwilshacbwilsha Posts: 70
    fpanno--Your last two postings have been double-posted. Once is enough. See messages 15142 & 15145 and 15152 & 15154.

C.B.
    Usually that happens when you refresh the screen after posting. Click Recent Messages and you'll avoid this bug.

Steve, Host

• calucykcalucyk Posts: 35
    Is it just me or has GM released a flurry of recalls on the 02 Bravada recently? I no longer own this vehicle but I continue to receive these notices even though I told them in a letter about a year ago. I've received several recall letters in the past 1 1/2 years, since owning my 02 Bravada, but recently (two months), I've received two recall letters, may be even three. You want to hear the worst part, the recall letters correct issues I claimed were broken on my Bravada and GM warranty claimed, "Could not duplicate". In the state of Texas, to qualify for the lemon law, your vehicle must exhibit the same problem four or more times, out of service for repair 30 plus days or had a serious safety issue that cannot be fixed. The expiration date for lemon law claims is 2 years or 24,000 miles. It just seems odd that GM is releasing all these recalls after a 2 year period. Do you think they knew about these issues and waited knowing it would mitigate liability? That can't be true as I'm sure laws protect us from such a situation...
    I don't know about Texas (or anywhere else <g>), but I don't think the ability to file a lemon law claim prevents you from getting a lawyer and suing for breach of warranty or under some other theory.

In fact, from reading posts from dealers around Town Hall, it sounds like most lemon lawyers do this instead of filing under a lemon law statute.

Steve, Host

Cbwilsha, recommend that you see msg 15156, it might help you next time. Thanks Steve for correcting cbwilsha.
  • Hey all, I've actually been with this forum since it first started. just lurked a lot tho. i posted a few messages under the ID bakednut. but i forgot all the info for that ID. but im back after a long over due update. man a lot has happened. a lot of regulars arent around anymore, but its good to see some are still hangin in there.

ANYWAY, i got my '02 lt. pewter metallic TB LT back in july '01. it served me well for 2 yrs. the last year my baby was under the care of my family cuz i was away in Iraq. But as i came home it was crunch time to make a decision on keepin my '02 or springin for a new one. well, i bid farewell to my '02 and it's problems and said hello to my shiny new '04 dk. grey metallic TB LT. My previous truck was the base LT. This one has the DIC and automatic climate control, no moonroof =( (ill live).

I've noticed subtle alterations in the truck ... probly to reduce overall manufac. costs. things such as no plastic cowl over the headlights. or door hinges that used to painted black that are now unpainted steel (leaving them prone to rust i think) no glove box, engine bay and driver side foot area light. just little things they took way made me feel like i was taking a slight step down in build quality. the first year models had their share of problems, but they did really pay attention to detail (very little things). i guess as the years progressed, they may have ironed out some of the first year kinks but also cut back on the little details that made you feel like you were riding in a QUALITY vehicle. I really dont see any REAL improvements in the '04s, somewhat dissapointed. But i do LOVE the new color. it has a purple hue at one angle and green hue at another, a real interesting color. My uncle has the '02 dk. grey envoy SLT, and the color is definatly different. I did however get a glimse @ some of the '05 LS models. they do look pretty slick. white face gauges, chrome accents on int. door handles and shift nobs. looked a lil more like the Envoy than a TB. I always liked the ruggedness of the TB. They apparently dropped the lt. pewter metallic paint (which i did really like)for the silver, the '05 seems to have a darker silver which looks pretty good too.

even tho the subject of leather vs. cloth has been beaten to death, i opted for cloth. Because i use Neoprene seat covers from Wet Okole. They are HANDS DOWN the BEST seat option for me cuz i sweat like a mofo on leather seats.. hey ross1962, i dunno if u wear a wet suit when you go surfin, but these are like wet suits for ur seats. waterproofed too. might wanna check em out. i go snowboarding, camping, hiking, all that outdoor stuff. they're great when ur caught in the rain, or when ur digs are soaked from sittin on ur posterior in the snow cuz u waitin for ur friends to get down the mt.. Plus, they look really nice too. i've gotten LOTS of compliments and inquiries bout them. true u cant just WIPE them down after they get dirty, but i like to wash them every now and then to keep em lookin and smellin clean. they fit like they came from the factory. along with sum rubber floor mats from weathertech, slap on a set of ventvisors and molded mud guards, they make a GREAT all-weather package.

I also got the 17" LTZ rims for my '02 LT which i kept after i turned her in, and when i got my '04 i had to take the new 17"s off. they look bad. they make the truck look less sturdy compared to the older LTZ 17"s, but just my outlook. i noticed they dont use BFG open trails anymore, rather they use some cheapo lookin continentals that have treads that look like they belong on a sedan. im lookin to replace OE tires that come one the 17" LTZ rims. I REALLY like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVOs, tirerack dot com has some of the HIGHEST reviews i've seen on any tire, they look MEAN as hell too. but they dont have the OE size of 245/65/17, rather the closest 17 they have is 265/70/17, does n e 1 know if these will fit the 17x7 LTZ rims? how much will this effect ride stability? any help on this would be a HUGE relief, no one i call seem to be able to help me with this issue.

I had the Manik front bar, nerf pipes and tail light guards that ALL went back to Manik so i can get new replacements cuz they got rusty on me, so i got brand new pipes ALL around. YAY MANIK. Piaa sent me a new set of 520s due to rust as well, YAY PIAA. waitin on gettin the front windows tinted, and my viper auto start alarm re-installed. My Yak, roof rack will go back up in the winter, when the snowboarding season starts. i have a bike rack too, but my mt. bike is critically wounded from a mishap @ mt. creek a few months back. but i was able to walk away from it with just a teeny scrape on my elbow. i like to take this opportunity to thank budda, god, allah, gilgamesh and who ever else is up there for that.

I'll try to post some pics of my new turck over @ sounddomain dot com. when i have the tints done. im thinkin bout stereo stuff. but i think i might have to wait till after my 2nd deployment. duty calls so i might have to abandon my baby for another year. this time i mean my girlfriend. hehe.

all in all i guess you can pin me as one of the more satisfied owners of a TB. i was seriously considering a subaru impreza wrx sti, i even took one for a 24hr test drive, MAN ALIVE does that thing WANT to haul [non-permissible content removed]. my brother had a 5-speed wrx, but the STI has NO equal for its price. but after much deliberation with my GF, the SUV was more practical for me. she said i looked dinky in a compact car like the STI, just not me. sure the TB has been plauged by its problems since day 1, the interior is ugly like a mule (sorry, i dont mean to offend mules, they have feelings too) and material qualities are like that of a cheap chinese knockoff (sorry to the chinese), but through its faults, its still a great truck and it looks strong like bull, and there isnt ANYTHING out there that i loved as much as the TB.

sorry i kept it long, just wanted to rant.
  • I mentioned that the WRX STI has no equal for its price range. I know that the Evo VIII is the equivalent .... but its just plain UGLIEE!! (sorry to the EVO lovers)
  • seifordseiford Posts: 68
    Anyone gotten this letter yet? Saw it on the MyGMlink:

Dear GMC Customer:

As the owner of a 2002 - 2004 model year GMC Envoy or Envoy XL vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us. This letter is intended to make you aware that some of these vehicles may have a condition where the tail lamp/stop lamp(s) may become inoperative.

This is not a recall. Do not take your vehicle to your dealer as a result of this letter unless you have a tail/stop lamp that is burned out.

What We Have Done:

General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the tail lamp/stop lamps. If this condition occurs on your 2002 &#150; 2004 model year GMC Envoy or Envoy XL vehicle within 6 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 72,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to call the service department at your dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special policy condition.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the GMC Customer Assistance Center at 1-866-996-9463.
  • Sieford, yes I got this letter. I have a 02 Envoy SLT. I also had the left side tail lamp burn out about 2 months ago. I put a new lamp in and it is working ok. Don't know what I should do? Tell the dealer it went out or wait till it goes out again. I don't know what they will replace anyway. I read on here something about a circuit board they will replace. Not sure what to do.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Posts: 273
    As I understand it, they replace the plastic board that the three sockets are mounted on.
  • zachzach Posts: 3
    Is there a way we (non-mechanics) can shut that oil life light or reset the idiot light? I change my own oil so it never gets done.