Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    jstine,

Congratulations! We'll expect a full report from you!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    OH NO!!!!!

I just picked mine up and was logging on to say I had both the recall reprogram and seal that you had done fixed. They did acknowledge the squeal problem existed and replaced mine with a new and redesigned seal.

So sostrouble...how long was it before you experienced the squeal after the original fix? Miles that is....

tim
    Well, I had the reprogram done. I didn't notice anything to begin with and am not sure there were symptoms, but nonetheless, I don't notice any difference now that the reprogram was done.....outside the fact that it is much better and way better performing than that Sable LS they gave me to drive :)

tim
  • sostroublesostrouble Member Posts: 65
    I put on about 195 miles. I reset the Trip A when I picked it up. When I took my son to the store on sunday, he asked me what the funny noise was. When we put down the passenger window and turned down the radio, my son just loves the BOSE system, (16 yrs old) there is was, and the more I drove the louder it got. It finally stopped after I got on the highway. Then today, about a half mile from home, there it was again. It usually starts at about 25 mph, but it stops when I start braking.

On my 91 GMC van's brakes when the first set of brakes needed to be replaced, they would squeal when you drove and would stop when you would hit the brake, and they said that was the way the sensor warned you. I still think it my have something to do with the brake sensor. Opinions please!!!!

Tim - Please let me know if yours starts again.

Debbie
  • harrycohenharrycohen Member Posts: 3
    Picked up my TB LT on 10/6. A week later I noticed a gap between the passenger rear tail light and the body (wide enought to allow water in). I brought it in, they ordered a new tail light, but also noticed that it was probably the quarter panel that was the problem not the tail light. I just brought it back in and they are "assessing the situation". The there is a gap wide enought to place my fingers between the tailgate and quarter panel when the tail gate is close. There is no problem on the drivers side. Anyone else encounter this?
    They also didn't know any details on how to fix the recall.
  • ralforalfo Member Posts: 36
    Due to financial issues, I may need to sell off my truck. Here is the breakdown:

-Pewter Envoy SLT 4x4
    -Medium Pewter Leather
    -SLT Enhanced Package
    -Factory Running Boards
    -Vent Shades
    -Transfer of extended warranty (payed $815)
    -7,300 Miles, Factory New, Not a ding or scratch, always garaged day & night

I live in the central New Jersey area. I am asking for $32K. If anyone is interested, please send an email to dalfonz@home.com.
  • fletch45fletch45 Member Posts: 72
    I agree with you that it sounds like a brake squeal. I have had it occasionally since around 1500 miles (I have around 5000 now) in the left front. Mine is an intermittant screech screech screech, that goes away when I hit the brakes. Sounds nasty like metal to metal, and seems to come through the wheel, but I can't see anything that looks scraped. I drive gravel, so I thought it might be a rock at first, then others started to post that they had a squeal. I'm waiting to see what others come up with, since it doesn't seem to affect the way it drives.
    jim f
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please, no want ads on Town Hall. Try Edmunds Used PowerShopper or your local classifieds. Thanks.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    As soon as we get our Chrysler 300M back from the body shop, we plan to trade it off and lease a new SUV. Most likely, we might lease a 4wd Envoy SLE with Prem./Profess. Pack, 6 disc changer, running boards, and either a sunroof or the DVD player. I've contacted a few dealer's through GMbuypower and can get a good lease rate on a loaded Envoy. Not having driven any vehicle yet, I'm just trying to find out some information.

First of all, what are the main problems any of you have had with these first-year vehicles? They seem rather well built and reliable from what I've seen and read, but I'd like some personal views. We'd like to avoid certain quality issues if possible like squeaks and rattles or loose pieces. Second, what kind of gas mileage does a 4wd model get if kept in 2wd most of the time? Third, we're coming from a magnificent road car, and our used to the 300M's superb ride and handling but not it's noise. So, I know these ride great especially with the air ride, but what's the handling REALLY like with the air? Most magazines state that it pitches and rolls rather sloppily in turns with the air but is better with the slightly firmer coils and that the steering is loose sometimes. We don't want something really boaty yacht-like but a relaxing ride would be nice. Also, how quiet are the triplets, mainly road noise?

Now, more opinions. Though leaning towards a loaded Envoy SLE, the Trailblazer LT has some features we'd like. Mainly, you can get the Bose, rear air/stereo controls, and steering wheel controls in the TB. Are these things very useful? What about the Bose? Also, how does the standard stereo compare? Once again, our 300M has an 11-speaker 360-watt Infinity stereo and sounds great, so we'd like something comparable.

Also, who here has the sunroof and who has the DVD? In local inventories, I found two loaded 4wd SLE Envoys, one with the DVD and the other with a sunroof. The 300M has a sunroof and we love it, but the DVD just sounds fun. However, we personally have no DVD's and still use video tapes in abundance. Can a VCR be plugged into one of the system's input jacks? Either way, what's your opinions? I'm 15 and my brother is 12, and we'd be the one's using the thing. As for the sunroof, has the droppy headliner problem been resolved yet? In addition, when open, how noisy is it?

Overall, what do you think of your SUV? What options do you have? What problems have you had?

Also, who here has pictures of their Envoy/TB on the internet. What are the links?
    Sorry all for the long post and spacing:

"Not having driven any vehicle yet, I'm just trying to find out some information."

---you came to a good site. I'll post a few other forums that will help too. see the end of this post.

"First of all, what are the main problems any of you have had with these first-year vehicles...I'd like some personal views."

---see my web site for my personal experiences. here's the link for my Trailblazer LTZ
    http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/1-main-page.html

"Second, what kind of gas mileage does a 4wd model get if kept in 2wd most of the time?"

---That will depend on gearing. 3.42's best on mileage but lower on performance and towing. 4.10 is best on performance and towing and acceleration. I have 3.73's and love it. 15-17mpg in the city, 20-21mpg at 75mph highway. Not much change in 4,000 miles.

"Third, we're coming from a magnificent road car, and our used to the 300M's superb ride and handling but not it's noise. So, I know these ride great especially with the air ride, but what's the handling REALLY like with the air? "

---I can't speak for the Envoy air ride other than you'll feel a lean in the vehicle vs your 300M obviously. My LTZ rides awesome and feel you'd like it...so the Envoy will be that much better.

"Most magazines state that it pitches and rolls rather sloppily in turns with the air but is better with the slightly firmer coils and that the steering is loose sometimes. We don't want something really boaty yacht-like but a relaxing ride would be nice. Also, how quiet are the triplets, mainly road noise?"

---Again, it takes about one week to get used to an SUV vs a 300M. I have a GTP and even my wifes Alero feels like it's on rails after driving the Trailblazer. I do like the coils vs air ride, but that's me and not the reason I chose chevy vs GMC.

OVerall, I don't feel it's boat like, but you won't be swapping lanes aggressively like a 300M could...not that you do. They are pretty nimble and powerwise....about the same in performance as the 300M believe it or not. Braking is what I would say you'll need to get used to. 4500lbs is a lot more than a car. Rides so smooth and quiet...drive it...you'll see.

"Now, more opinions. Though leaning towards a loaded Envoy SLE, the Trailblazer LT has some features we'd like. Mainly, you can get the Bose, rear air/stereo controls, and steering wheel controls in the TB. Are these things very useful? What about the Bose? Also, how does the standard stereo compare? Once again, our 300M has an 11-speaker 360-watt Infinity stereo and sounds great, so we'd like something comparable."

---I would imagine if you have kids, the rear radio would be good, but the rear air and what not is great even if you're alone. I think it really evens out the temps. GET THE BOSE!! You'll love it and you're already spoiled. Standard sound doesn't compare.

"Also, who here has the sunroof and who has the DVD?"

---I don't have a sunroof or DVD to comment. Not one for roofs and the DVD wasn't available.

"Overall, what do you think of your SUV? What options do you have? What problems have you had?"

---see problems section on my site for details. regardless of the issues I've had... I LOVE THIS THING!

"Also, who here has pictures of their Envoy/TB on the internet. What are the links?"

---See my site here:
    http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/1-main-page.html

email me with Q's

tim
    tlauro@columbus.rr.com

other good links:
    http://www.suv.com/
    http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance/discussion.html
  • jac27jac27 Member Posts: 15
    Sorry, I hit enter before typing my message.

Anyway, I traded a 3-yr-old 300M for a 2002 Bravada about a month ago. I chose the Bravada because of the 5-60 warranty that accompanies all Oldsmobiles. My experiences:

I love the Bravada. I really believe it is quicker than the 300M, although I really haven't pushed it yet. Passing on two-lane roads is awesome. Before I had the 300M I had an STS, and I believe the Bravada passes almost as well. I have the air suspension, which I believe is standard on Bravadas. The ride is not as good as the 300M...more lean and a rocking sensation that I have not experienced before, but this is my first 'truck'. We are going to drive from Illinois to southern California next month, so we were looking for a smooth ride, and we think this is adequate. Compared with other SUV's that we have driven, it is as good or better.
    I tried car-based SUV's (Highlander), and it is no better. I guess that's something that we need to live with in an SUV.

Gas mileage is disappointing so far (1500 miles). Combination of city and 2-lane highway gets me about 16 mpg. My wife drove it on an interstate trip a while back and the average was 23 when she returned, but that's only one example.

No problems yet, and if nothing changes, I'll bring it back for the first oil change with no complaints.

Overall, I really like the Bravada. I look forward to driving it. Good luck on your choice, and I hope you join the ranks of triplet drivers.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Just wanted to fill you all in on my experiences with my 02 Bravada.

First of all, I LOVE THIS TRUCK. It is the best truck I have ever driven and the I-6 is creamy smooth. I almost wish I had waited to buy one instead of going ahead with my Yukon ( Bravada is really my wifes).

I have so far had no problems though I understand there is a recall. The only issue so far was a sticky passenger side door which was fixed in 5 minutes at the local Chev-Olds dealer.

Anyone looking for a luxury truck should definitely look into a Bravada.

Question to all of you.. is there a K&N filter available for the 4.2L yet?
    I haven't call the dealer yet to let them know it's squealing again. But here's some observations.

It only squeals first thing in the morning or after sitting for a while. It starts about a mile from home and over 25 mph. It still squeals up to about 55 mph. The squeal stops when the brakes are applied. I have also noticed that if I turn off the Envoy and restart it, the squeal goes away. If I drive 25 miles it will squeal for 25 miles, then restart it the squeal stops. If I drive 2 miles, stop and restart, it stops. So it seems that restarting the vehicle seems to make it go away. Sure sounds like a defective sensor.

See if you get the same reaction and let me know.

thanks

Debbie
  • fletch45fletch45 Member Posts: 72
    Mine has been quiet lately, but I will post if and when it starts squealing again. Maybe I will get lucky, and it will not come back. LOL!! When it did squeal, it quit when I got up to speed, as you described. Not sure about the re-start issue, but I know that it only did it occasionally. I figured if it got to the point that it did it daily, I would have it looked at immediately.
    jim f
  • billinphx1billinphx1 Member Posts: 6
    Debbie and Jim F: I was able to make my squeal change and, in some cases, go away when I switched from 2HI to 4AWD. Makes me think that the squeal is somehow related to the transmission. Since I'm trying to gather as much info as possible to present to the dealer, I'd be interested in knowing if your trucks behave the same as mine. 2002 TB LTZ

Thanks for any input.

Bill
    billinphx1, mine too stopped after going from 2WD to another mode such as 4WD. I figure that confirmed it was the transfer case or front drive mechanism seal.

two days after the redesigned system installed and it seems fine so far.

tim
  • sgross2sgross2 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed an earlier post regarding a TB losing a cylinder sleeve and having to have the engine replaced at 2200 miles. Guess what - I had the same thing happen to mine last week. It is still in the shop getting the engine replaced. At 6600 miles, it started this clicking noise under the hood. Then it started missing. The miss went away but not the click. Diagnosis: Broken cylinder ring....Remedy: Engine replacement. This is very concerning. What happens when this new innovative motor lets go like this after the warranty runs out? Here's to hoping this doesn't happen.
  • robsutsrobsuts Member Posts: 18
    I have an intermitent problem with the sound system. It mutes once every 2 weeks (I've only had the Envoy for 5 weeks). The radio seems fully functional, but no sound comes out. Pushing the on-star button produces NO sound. I think the sound amplifier might be over-heating and thermally cutting out. I was only listening to talk-radio at the time so the volume wasn't too loud. This is the second time it has happened. A cold re-start (waiting a few hours) results in the radio working fine again. Anyone have similar issues? Is there a mute switch that I don't know about? Please advise. Thanks - Rob
  • axsysmanaxsysman Member Posts: 26
    I think I was one of the first people to report the squealing problem. Well, mine went away and hasn't come back yet. I have close to 18000 miles (only been 9 months too) on my Envoy now and I haven't had any major issues.

I ordered the sidesteps from gmpartsdirect.com and installed them in about an hour and a half. Perfect fit and a easy install.

Part no. 12497886: 209 + 37 shipping = $246. about 50 less than dealer wanted and no tax.

Taking the truck in for the transfer case recall and reprogram tomorrow. I will post and let everyone know what I observe as far as any differences in performance.
  • domino9domino9 Member Posts: 8
    Cool! AutoWeek used the TB comments I sent to them.
    -- Bob
    '95 M3
    '02 LTZ
    Bill and Tim

Today, I tried what you said about switching from 2-wheel drive to AWD, it didn't stop it. So I pulled over and restarted it and then it stopped.

Thanks, please let me know if you can think of anything else to try. I appreciate your help!!

Dealer doesn't know what to do but said it's not a safety problem, so I told them to research it and let me know, then I'll bring it in again.

Maybe the recall Tim had corrected the problem. Bill, have you had the recall performed on yours yet?
    Debbie
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Mine was the TB with the cylinder sleeve detachment problem. The engine has since been replaced. The TB spent 12 days in the shop. When it came out, I inspected it with a magnifying glass. Really could not tell it was worked on, but for a wire loom that wasn't attached to the fender wall. It runs great. I was asked to go easy on it for 1000 miles and take it in for a free oil change at that time. Chevy was firm in not granting me a new vehicle. I suppose they did not want to set a precedent. Good luck with your change out. Keep us posted
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Last time Edmunds tested a 2wd SLT Envoy, they really didn't seem to like it that much. This time with the Bravada, they loved almost all of it execpt the handling (same with the Envoy).

Check it out:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/spin/47900/article.html

hmmmmm....stoping and restaring and it's gone?? not sure what could be going on. I did have the seal replaced and the recall at the same time, but I really don't think the recall had anything to do with it.

not sure what to tell you other than to force the dealer to fix it. basically "the squeal isn't an option you wanted to pay for" and tell them to make it go away period.

tim
    I was just thinking that Edmunds reviews are always a little wierd. Like the Bravada but not the envoy and slam the TB for style. Go figure.
    Funny how just because it's not a Vette in the Corners that they didn't like it.
    Seems the Ford Explorer had the same issues just a few years back, yet they touted it as the class leader. In sales yes, but in rollovers, and recalls too....ironic to say the least.
  • andersonpandersonp Member Posts: 6
    Beach,
    I have a Majestic Red LT Trailblazer. I purchased it in August and have been pleased so far. I located my vehicle in NC. I am from VA. My list of accessories include:
    1. Leather interior
    2. AM/FM/Cassette/CD radio with rear controls.
    3. ONSTAR
    4. Sunroof
    5. Rear Entertainment System (DVD/TV) installed 1 week ago, in addition to a VCR. (My daughter loves it.)
    6. Running Boards
    7. Rear Air controls
    8. Steering wheel controls (standard)

To date, I haven't had a problem with my headliner drooping. Before it got chilly here, I opened my sunroof everyday. I just make sure that it is close properly.
    The radio sounds wonderful. The auto tone and auto volume works very good. In addition, the DVD/TV/VCR sounds great through the speakers. (I do have wireless headphones as well.)

Before purchasing this vehicle, I owned a Hyundia Sante. I loved it and only traded it because my wife liked the trailblazer better.

I am always commented on the appearance of the TB. A bug guard and vent shades are the only other accessories added to date. My next project is some 20" chrome rims to complete the transformation. IF you decide to purchase one, you will enjoy it.
  • pcrisppcrisp Member Posts: 22
    In the new review with the Bravada, they have a picture of the Bravada with running boards. Are those the running boards that are classified as "black" or are they the "clear" running boards? I ask because they do have some black on them and a bunch of silver or gray on them too. Also the pic makes the running boards look like they are hanging lower than they should be. There is a good amount of gap between the boards and the bottom of the SUV. Thanks for any info.
  • theschmutheschmu Member Posts: 1
    Anyone else experience this? My female friend has in her 2 week old TB. Dealer says they cant duplicate it. She puts it into drive, and it doesnt go anywhere. Engine revs...crawls around till its been running a few minutes. Aparently, she hasn't left the vehicle there to get cold b4 GM tries the problem. Any info would be helpful.
    theschmu@hotmail.com thanx!
  • flyersruleflyersrule Member Posts: 47
    I had the same thing happen about a month ago. It was really cold and it felt like the car wouldn't move. After 30 seconds or so, it started to go and was fine. It hasn't been that cold since and I havent had the problem.

Time will tell on this one!
    I have started to notice that on long drives, my foot, ankle and arch of my foot are sore and tired. No matter what I do I can not get my foot comfortable on the gas peddle. I move it around and no matter what, it gets tired and sore.

I am 6'3, so I do have long legs. But there is plenty of room in the car. I don't even have my seat back all of the way. If I did, my arms would have to stretch to reach the steering wheel.

When I drive and my foot is on the gas peddle, my leg is actually in an "L" shape and the middle of my right leg rests against the hard plastic of the cup harder. This starts to hurt my leg and another reason of my discomfort.

I think the problem is that the gas and brake peddle are not back far enough.

Does anybody else feel the same way? Has anybody heard of a way to move the peddles back? Are they adjustable?
    I seem to be having the same problem with my driver mirror as other people have stated. It never seems to be in the same location when I get in my car in the morning. Some other people have stated the same thing and say that the dealer has replaced their mirror. Does replaceing the mirror solve the problem?

I am getting ready to take my car in for my first oil change and I want o have a list of things to get resolved.
  • akornegayakornegay Member Posts: 1
    Flyersrule,

I'm having a similar problem getting comfortable in the driver's seat though my problem seems to affect my calf and thigh a bit more.

I'm 5'10 and fairly normal shaped. I can't figure out if I'm sitting too high or too low or to close or too far or what. But placing my foot on the gas or brake for too long seems to put some undue stress on my leg.

If I find a comfortable spot for the gas pedal, it doesn't work well for the brake and vice versa. I haven't been able to pin down exactly what it is yet that's not quite right but you might be on to something with the "height" of the pedals. It seems as though the brake pedal is too far away vertically from the gas.

Any ideas anyone? Any ergonomic suggestions?

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that the brake pedal is probably not easily adjustable. I had once heard that the metal on the brake is the toughest on your car because they can't risk it breaking under any circumstances. Adjusting the height is probably the same issue.

Adam
    Try varying your foot position. There are basically two ways of doing this:

(1) Rotate your foot left or right - i.e. angle your foot left or right from the vertical.

(2) Move your heel closer to or further from the gas pedal.

This should bring you some relief and may prevent cramping etc.

Also, on long trips, you really should stop occasionally. Get out of the vehicle and walk around a bit!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • billinphx1billinphx1 Member Posts: 6
    Debbie,

I have not had the recall performed... yet. Thought I'd let them to practice on someone else's truck first! I still have the squeal which seems to start after the first few miles of a trip. Switching from 2HI to 4HI definitely stops the squealing. It starts again when I switch back to 2HI. I do this test at normal highway speeds.

Have you had the recal performed? Has Tim?

Bill
  • calienvoycalienvoy Member Posts: 6
    I too have had the problem with the squeal. I noticed it around 2500 miles and it would go away after stopping or pressing on the brakes. Also had loss of power with the high revs/fan noise at speeds of 25-60mph. I took the Envoy in and they replaced the brake calipers and did the transfer case recall work. They also replaced the fan clutch inorder to repair the power loss problem. A week later the power loss problem happened again. I just got the Envoy back from the shop and they said the fix for the problem was related to a new program for the onboard computer. We will see if this fixes the problem. It is ashame that this SUV has had such problems. Other than the problems that I have had it has been a great vehicle.
  • fitch2fitch2 Member Posts: 2
    Noticed a similar post #2654 by flyguy7. I have approx 3500 miles on my TB. Sound is similar to running on a grooved bridge/highway...noticable above the Bose stereo! This condition is intermittent between 55-60 mph but steady once it begins. As speed is varied, resonance will go away, and often not return. This happens 3-4 times per week. Mentioned it when I took in for Transmission Recall and tech actually heard it on test drive, but couldn't determine source. Apparently a known problem but no TSB, GM is researching. Anyone else experience this? flyguy7 mentioned steering fluid change???? Wonder if that helped? thanks, Keith
    "Have you had the recal performed? Has Tim?"

Yep, I've had the recall taken care of, but I never noticed any tranny issues and see no difference with the performance or function of my truck.

I had the front transfer case seal replaced with the new design and the squeal has gone away completely. Crossing my fingers to hope it doesn't reappear.

I had about 4k squeal free miles on the truck with a couple longer highway trips so, I'll really be interested in another 4k miles to see if things are still good.

tim
  • jam1000jam1000 Member Posts: 182
    I bought a new TB earlier this week and, though it's only been 200-300 miles, I'm very pleased so far. I actually like it more than the 2000 LandCruiser I got rid of (extremely overrated, in my experience; engine ran fine, but an incredible number of rattles and other unwanted noises, plus a persistent thunking sound shifting out of first that I'm positive was transmission related but that the dealer claimed it could not duplicate; I didn't want to be there when the shoes dropped, so to speak; dealer service at 3 different dealerships was uniformly mediocre).

The TB is quiet, the engine is smooth, it handles well and it has some nice bells and whistles. So far, it appears to be exceptional value for the money.

Questions:

1. The ride is very nice in the suburban area where I live, but a little bouncy on the *very* bad, bumpy streets in the downtown area in which I drive to and from work. Any way to reduce this bounciness, for example by upgrading the shocks. Would air adjustable shocks (which I understand are the gist of the "Autoride" feature on Tahoes and Yukons) help? Would air shocks also help with load leveling for the occasional towing that I do?

2. Fitch2/flyguy -- based on what you describe, mine has the same sound. I actually noticed it on the test drive and decided I could live with it, since it's not loud, not bothersome to me and, as you say, quite intermittent. (I've noticed it less since I got the vehicle than on the test drive.) It's obviously better to live without it, however, so if you learn of a TSB or other fix, please post so that I can take care of mine.

3. Stereo is very good, but people on this board have said wonderful things about the Bose upgrade. Can the same Bose upgrade be installed aftermarket? (All of the ones I looked at while test driving also had the sun roof, which I definitely did not want.)

4. DIC says my average mileage is 13.2 (all city driving so far), which is less than the 15 rating. I've noticed, though, that the average has been steadily increasing (it was around 11 for the first hundred miles). Is this normal for the initial break-in?
  • doc35doc35 Member Posts: 23
    I had the same experience on my Envoy within the first week of picking it up. The paint was chipping where the license plate surround was frenched into the metal of the tailgate. I had the tailgate repainted at a local bodyshop who normally only touches Mercedes, BMW, "some" Cadillacs, etc... My office manager's husband works there and personally oversaw the work. He said from the get go that the design looked flawed and he was concerned. He smoothed the sharp underside edge of the plastic license plate surround and reinstalled after repainting.

The car looked flawless.........for about two weeks, then it happened again. They took it back and redid the work, this time applying a layer of the 3M clear film UNDER the plastic surround on top of the metal. The hope being that the piece would rub against that and not the paint. He also cursed GM for this design. Well, several months and several 6800 miles later, it is working, no chipping! Needless to say, GM covered the cost of the repair and rented me a car while it was being done.

Good luck, this may help you guys.

Kirk
    Keith
    I have had this problem since the day I pick up the car. Besides the resonance, I feel a vibration in the gas pedal.

Was it the dealer who told you that GM knows about problem and is researching? Did the dealer just say this, or did they actually discuss the problem with GM?

Mark
  • flyguy7flyguy7 Member Posts: 22
    The car goes into the shop on Tuesday to get the fluid changed and the howl looked at again. I will also get the tranny recall done. I am starting to wonder about the engine. It is starting to make a tapping noise. Guess the cylinder sleeve may be next. I'll post when I have had it looked at.
  • allroyallroy Member Posts: 58
    I just wanted to say hi to you all, I have been reading your posts for the past two weeks and bought a Pewter 2002 4x4 Envoy SLT today for invoice + 1%. (SLT Premium Package with Professional Towing+running boards)Thanks again!!
    allroy,

Congrats! We're looking forward to hearing all about your experiences with your new Envoy!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • allroyallroy Member Posts: 58
    I almost forgot to ask...what % off invoice has everyone been paying and has anyone stuck an aftermarket LCD screen in?
    Bill

Sorry took to long to get back, I've been doing yard work.

I have not had the recall done yet either, I am also waiting for them to do it on another envoy. The squeal is still there. I tried several times switching from 2-wheel to AWD, but it didn't go away. Another thing that I noticed, it didn't squeal on warm days.

Last time the envoy was in I had them check for the tapping noise, kinda like a noisy lifter when accelerating. But they told me that there was no problems with the engine. I just wasn't use to a straight six. I have alway had a V-8 or V-6.

The minor problems with this Envoy, are nothing compare to my 82 Trans Am. I loved it so much, my license plates were 82 JUNK. I won't go there that a long story.

Let me know when you have the recall done. I going to try to take it in after Thanksgiving.

Debbie
  • fitch2fitch2 Member Posts: 2
    Mark,

Haven't noticed the vibration in gas pedal but I'll check closely next time "howl" kicks in.

Was Service Manager who indicated GM knows of problem. In addition to road test, inspection of wheel bearings and underbody, and exhaust tune, the service invoice indicates GM Tech Assist researching. According to SM, the research could take "some time" but apparently this is a TB only phenomenon and hadn't been noticed on Envoy as yet???

For flyguy7, Keep us posted on the fluid change...Good luck!

Keith
  • hambone7hambone7 Member Posts: 130
    Those of you who have been around this posting board since the spring may recall owners of these GM SUVs taking issue with the holes in the front fender wheel well areas not having plugs attaching to the wheel well liner. When I pressed the dealer at the time they stated that "wheel flares" could be purchased for the TB. Well, as many of you know, dealerships are clueless a lot of the time...as I've stated before, a person could read a TB/Envoy/Bravada brochure and know more than a typical GM salesman. (Yeah, I think it's a pathetic situation)

Ah, but I digress....I studied a TB LTZ this weekend that was parked next my LT and found that the "two tone paint job" actually (partially) consists of a bolt on piece of plastic that attaches to the holes in the front wheel wells...thus a mechanical use for those unplugged holes found on the LS/LT TB and Envoys.