Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• 01_hoe01_hoe Posts: 273
    I share your concerns about items no longer available or offered on the GMT360/GMT370 lines. In addition to what you mentioned, I noticed the inside rear view mirror is now manual instead of automatic dimming, (with a tab hanging down that looks like someone could attach baby shoes, dice or an air freshener)and no tint on the top of the front windshield, just a bunch of dots. I have an '03, been looking at '05s but am put off by the decontent of items. Seems like GM doesn't want or expect repeat buyers.
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    If anyone has any information on how to locate the resistor pack on the blower motor of a 2002 Trailblazer please let me know. I am taking a long trip in 2 days and I am hoping I can replace this part before my trip but I dont know how to locate it.

Thanks

:)
  • gmfangmfan Posts: 188
    I believe there are two O2 sensors on the TB. One of mine went out at 40,000 miles. The dealership advised it is rare for these to go out below 100K miles on it. My check engine light kept lighting up and staying on longer and longer. I think one is easier than the other to change. Parts and labor was around $250. I use good gas (Chevron Techron), but never could figure out why the sensor went bad. One of the sensors is plugged into the exhaust pipe and it should not be that difficult to change. Of course, the more difficult one went out on mine so I paid to have it done.
    Glad to hear you are close to 100K miles. My 02 TB has 68K miles and I am enjoying mine as well. Yes, I can hear a slap or tap when my engine is cold, but I can only hear mine when I turn off the radio and the blower fan. I have always had a habit of letting the vehicle idle for about a minute or two before driving ((when my wife is in the car, forget it! - she wants to go now and thinks it is ridiculous). After about a minute and a half, mine mostly stops. I change my own oil and use conventional oil 10W 30, and I try different brands to see if any do a better job. So far, they all are having the same results, with a few slightly decreasing the sound. If you are doing the 100K miles maintenance, make sure you get the tranny fluid changed? Have you had it serviced before? Has anyone of the forum tried synthetics and has a synthetic helped the slapping noise at cold start up?
  • m1icemanm1iceman Posts: 11
    I have had occasional problems with the fan clutch, but they usually went away after a minute or so. Now the clutch wont disengage and I was wondering if anyone has been able to disengage it without having to get a repair. If it cant be fixed without a repair, whats the cost of having the fan clutch replaced. This is for a 2002 TB w/50K and no I dont have an extended warranty. I have searched the site, but havent been able to find the answer.

Thanks
    I have seen posters on other forums quoting a $400 to $600 replacement cost for the fan clutch. The part is available on Ebay for $100+, and some special tool is needed to do the repair. The tool can be purchased from several sources. May be cheaper to get replaced at an independent service place.
  • paulpropaulpro Posts: 56
    The shop manual says to drop the right close-out panel, that is the one under the glovebox. Remove wire connector, remove two screws, remove resistor. I have a picture from the shop manual if you want to provide your email address, I'll send it to you.

When you pull the resistor out, if you are familiar with printed circuits and it is burnt out, you can figure out how to fix it by jumpering the burned spot with a piece of wire and some solder.

Be aware, there is also an auxilary resistor in the circuit. You'll need to troubleshoot to see which one is truly bad.

This one is the most logical and easiest to access.

Paul P">
  • malibu99malibu99 Posts: 305
    Thanks Paul :)

I got an email from tblazed yesterday and I ended up replacing the circuit, easy job took 10 minutes and cost me $23.00 for the part, saved me a few hundred probably. The whole printed circuit was black, it burn out somewhere and it wasnt gonna be easy to figure out, a new one did the trick :) Thanks again for all your help and to anyone who helped.

Joe

Happy car again :)
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Posts: 311
    I had the hood open while changing my oil Sunday and noticed that the hood seam is rusting just like the doors. Is this something we should be reporting to GM? If so, how do I make a complaint. Not even 3 years old until July and only 17k for mileage. Dealer will fix the rust but how long will that last.
  • gam2gam2 Posts: 306
    I looked at my brothers '97 Jeep with 210,000 Wisconsin (read salty) miles. Absolutely no rust on the doors or the hood. I guess you get what you pay for!

GAM
  • imadad2imadad2 Posts: 79
    To boost sales, GM is once again cutting prices. They are now offering employee pricing on all vehicles except the Corvette and GMC medium duty trucks. So, for those of you who have been wanting to buy a new Chevrolet Trailblazer/GMC Envoy, here is your chance. They are also offering incentives on top of that.

I have a couple thoughts on this and I hope it pays off for GM, but I don't think it will. First off, GM has improved quality, but they are still behind the quality of several competitors. By selling vehicles that don't work like they should, they will further lose customers. Also, the prices they are offering now are going to make more people hold off for that "big discount" instead of buying earlier in the year.

GM is starting to look desperate. I am now kicking the idea around of buying another vehicle. I'd like to buy another TB, but will the wife want to drive our 2004 or our 2005? We will see ...
    I took my 02 TB in to have the tires rotated and looked over the brakes and they are not even half worn with 67,000 miles on them! Pretty darn good! Other SUV's I have owned are lucky to get 40,000 miles on brakes. I am getting ready for a 1500 mile trip, so I am going ahead with replacing the serpentine belt this weekend. I may get the tranny serviced for the first time too, but the book says to service the tranny at 100,000 miles.

-gmfan
  • m1icemanm1iceman Posts: 11
    Well got the truck into my mechanic and the news was a $350 hit for the replacement. Since my truck is out of warranty, Im lucky to have a mechanic I trust. When he called me to quote the price, he told me the local Chevy dealer, where he had to get the part, had to replace about 15 in the month of May alone. He also told me the part number had been changed by Chevy, cough, recall, cough! Well anyway, its getting fixed and I wanna thank posters for their responses. I love my TB, but its getting expensive to fix.
  • bigsexybigsexy Posts: 5
    I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE EXPERIANCED ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEIR ENVOYS OR TRAILBLAZERS IN THE CHARGING SYSTEM. THE VEHICLE IS NOT CHARGING PROPERLY AND THE RPM ARE IDLEING AT 500. WHICH IS VERY LOW. DEALER SAYS ITS NORMAL BUT I CANT BELIVE THAT. THANKS FOR ANY HELP
    HAS ANYBODY PUT AN EXTRA CHARGING SYSTEM IN THEIR ENVOY OR TRAILBLAZER. IF YOU HAVE PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW.
    THANKS
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK. People tend to ignore messages typed in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
  • ross1962ross1962 Posts: 229
    One of the sensors is plugged into the exhaust pipe and it should not be that difficult to change.

It's not difficult, but a special socket is needed that has a slot for the wire.
    ... AND THE RPM ARE IDLEING AT 500. WHICH IS VERY LOW.

You're right - it's too low. I'd take it to a different dealer.
  • sstradersstrader Posts: 15
    I have an 02 Envoy and have not been plagued by many of the issues that have come up on this forum. I have about 41K miles, use Mobil 1exclusively, do not have an engine slap issue that I can detect.
    I did an oil change last weekend and put in that new Mobil 10 W-30 they are marketing and guaranteed to be a good performer for 5,000 miles. I have only had it in the vehicle for a 100 miles and I cannot tell a noticeable difference. I still have a slight tapping after the vehicle has sat overnight. Again, I only hear mine if I turn off the blower fan and radio and listen for it (again, it is a slight clank, clank, clank for a minute or so) Are you using Mobil coventinial oil, blended synthetic, or full synthetic? Thanks for the input.

-gmfan
  • I have a 2004 Envoy XL, and am having problems with the rear A/C. I had taken my Envoy in for the GMC dealership to look at this problem. See article # 15825. I took it in during the winter. Now since it is spring/summer I am having the same problem. Now the rear A/C blower has come on by itself and keeps running until I do 1 of 2 things, 1. Turn on the rear A/C or 2. Shut off my Envoy. The bad thing is now it blows really hot air; unless I turn on the A/C then it blows cold air. I can't see always running my A/C to prevent this, especially with high gas prices. So has anyone else experienced this problem? If so what is the fix. I have another appointment to take my Envoy in on Tuesday and would love some fire power. Thanks for all your help.

Cary :confuse:
    The idle should be in the 700-800 RPM range. What is your voltage reading...top right instrument with battery icon? Is it stable or does it flunctuate? I had a battery leak a year ago and it wreaked havoc on the computer causing hard transmisson shift and my voltage and idle was off.

-gmfan
    it is a little fluctual. thanks for the imput. i will look into this solution. appreciate the feedback..
    Did you rectify the problem and how??? Please if you could let me know. Thanks
    I put in 61/2 mb quartz in my envoy. You have to modify the speaker holder to place them into the holder. There was a lot of custom work put into it but it is totaly woth it. If your gonna put speakers in buy quartz they are much better then infinity. I used to have the kappas and the quartz blow them away. any questions feel free to ask.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Posts: 161
    I have been running full synthetic Mobil 1 for a couple of years in the 4.2 but have the piston slap. Goes away in a coupe of minutes.
    This is probably the tightest engine I've ever owned as it has never needed oil added between changes and with the synthetic I go 7K or more.
    I ususally watch the oil change reading in the DIC and allow it to reach 40% or so
  • blink3blink3 Posts: 74
    Anyone with one of these out there? Looks sweet, with the 5.3 in the standard (short) Envoy, it should scoot pretty good, and it gets 20mpg hwy. That is only one less than the 4.2. I have an '02 Envoy now and I put about 1000 miles on it a week. Very satisfied with it, but wish it had a 5 speed trans to keep peak power more available. Would love to hear some feedback from Envoy Denali owners out there.
    What I'd like to see is a short wheelbase TB with the 5.3. I really have no complaints with the silky smooth I-6, but ..... there's noting like a V-8!
    You will get your wish with the '06 TB. Will have a 5.3L available in SWB in all trim levels. You could just go all the way with the TB SS and the LS2 engine :shades:
    Not an owner (yet) but have driven some of them. The 5.3L is very noticable, as it moves out much better than the 4.2L even as tight as the new engine is at first. They are a nice ride. :D