Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• 01_hoe01_hoe Posts: 273
    With the recall, GM only replaced the sockets and the board the sockets were attached to, as that was the problem.
  • ross1962ross1962 Posts: 229
    Even though this is a 2004, it does sound like the same problem I had on my '02. They replaced the circuit boards and bulb. It may help te dealership to know that the service bulliten came out before the recall did. I had mine fixed before the recall under warranty.
  • immoeimmoe Posts: 15
    to kagz71: After three dayswith the Denali the brakes are fixed. The dealership with the help of GM tech support used a procedure to bleed the brakes that was computer assisted. What a difference! The Denali stop almost as well as mu 05 Z- 51 Vette. My thanks to the Paul Masse dealership here in RI. I'm leaving for vacation in the morning but if you call 401-762-2300 and ask for Chris the service advisor I know he will tell the repair procedure, Good luck, Moe
  • kagz71kagz71 Posts: 12
    Hey, I took the wife's Envoy to the Chevy dealer where I go and they hooked me up with woking brakes in no time, just as you said they had to bleed the brakes and whatnot, thanks for the info!

-KAG
  • Yes, this has happened to me 3 times. Took to dealer and they can not seem to find out what's causing it. Not only do my seats lose memory, the clock and preset radio stations also lose their power. The service repair light also comes on. I'm not sure what the problem is but please let me know if you find out.
  • notfairnotfair Posts: 1
    where are you finding the TSB I have to have copies in order to prove that I am having to do alot of homework and searching for solutions that either the dealership or GMC should have access to - I have a hearing with the bbb on monday.
  • wxman4wxman4 Posts: 53
    I finally broke down and subscribed to infotraxx.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,137
    You can get the summaries here (Edmunds Maintenance Guide), the NHTSA and at Alldata.com. Summaries are free, but don't say much.

Alldata will sell you the full text of the TSBs too. Looks like Infotraxx is cheaper.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sarkelsarkel Posts: 2
    I know someone on here has to know this. OK, I freely admit i know nothing about changing a tire, that 's why i have AAA. WEll, Last week, i got a flat tire in the middle of nowhere (between West VA and PA ) and called my trusty AAA. Well, the person that they sent spent at least 2 hours (at Nite) trying to find the jack. Not only did he not find it (we did find the bars under the back seat) but he also failed to release the spare from under the vehicle.

NOw tha I know that I cannot count on intelligent help from AAA, I really need to know this information for myself (and admittedly should have before).

I read in the manual that perhaps the jack is need to release the secondary latch from the tire? is this true also? do you always need to release the secondary latch with the jack??? I probably sound stupid but please help me anyway as i'm going on another long drive tomorrow and need the info before i go . thanks
    You didn't say which year or model, but on my '03 and presently on my '05 GMC Envoy (both short wheelbase) the jack was / is under the right rear passenger seat. Did you buy used? If so, the jack may be missing when you bought it.
  • n7donn7don Posts: 188
    They are slow in sending out recall reminders. In fact I only got an inquiry as a result of my asking another question. What you have to do is actually log onto mygmlink and browse around. That's where I found the info, not from them sending me a notice.
    On the other hand, tblazed was having a heck of a time, they were sending multiple notices of recalls he had previoulsy had done.
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    A "bottle" jack, wheel wrench, handle and extension parts that lower down the spare, along with the instructions, should all be clipped in their holders under the back seat. The instructions are printed on a plastic sheet and attached to the vehicle with a cord. With the wheel wrench, handle and extension parts that attach together, insert through a hole in the rear bumper fascia (you have to open the lift gate) and engage the "hoist shaft", turn ccw and let down the spare. Unclip the retainer from center of spare tire [non-permissible content removed]'y by hand. A 5 minute job.

If those tools and instructions are not with yours you need to get them from the seller or another source, maybe a salvage yard.
  • blink3blink3 Posts: 74
    Glad to see someone stepped up and got the Envoy Denali. Could you give any impressions so far? I like my SLT but wish it had the V-8. Could you tell a big difference and what kind of mileage did you get on your trip? I am avg. now 21+. Just put in a K&N today. Obviously I do lots of Hwy miles. Travel 1000+ miles per week. Been quite happy with my Envoy with almost 50k on it with only the battery problem to mention.

Thanks!
  • kman609kman609 Posts: 4
    First of all, a big thank you to the folks here who spent the time to figure out the Trailblazer's fan clutch woes and fixes. As I found out, the dealers in my area have not.

I have an out-of-warranty (46K total miles) '02 Trailblazer LTZ that I brought to the dealer for some recalls--including the PCM upgrade. The car ran perfectly when it went in, then began to overheat in low speed regimes immediately afterward. The AC--which ran perfectly before--also exhibited the same non-function problems after a heat soak you all are having. All this because of the new PCM program.

I took it back to the dealer today asking them to put the old software back in the PCM, cause the car now overheats like crazy during low speed driving with the AC on. He couldn’t do that because it was a recall item. I knew that, but it seemed like a good beginning strategy.

I was armed with some printouts from posts here. At first, the Service Manager blew off the printouts, but after some discussion, he agreed to diagnose the problem w/o charging me. I asked him if the clutch is bad (or incompatible with the new PCM programming) if he would call GM and see if they would cover the replacement cost. I again pointed to all the problems people in the printouts were having, and mentioned GM has reimbursed some of them. I don’t recall if that was true, but lying seemed like the thing to do—Hey, it’s CARS.

Amazingly, he called back a couple hours later saying the clutch tested OK, but the technician recommended it be replaced AND GM AGREED TO PICK UP THE TAB! Woo hoo!

Here's where it gets interesting: I told the Service Manager I had called a couple dealers' Parts Departments (including his), inquiring about the correct part number for the replacement clutch, and they gave me the old-style (10383029) number. I told the parts guys about the TSB and the new part #. They both said that part number (for the new style) was a clutch all right, but it didn’t show what car it was for and that they didn’t stock them. I asked the Service manager to look up the TSB I showed him this morning (the one he blew off) and sure enough, it says to use the new clutch, #15293048, that is now standard on vehicles made after June, 2005.

They had to order the updated clutch (it’ll be here tomorrow), but I'd rather wait than have an old style (what they stock and are still installing :surprise: ) put on. Pretty scary that two out of two dealers I called would have put the OLD style clutch back on.

Anyways, thanks for doing the heavy lifting on this issue, and thank you GM for stepping up.

Will let you know how the new fan works out.

Kurt
    I can't speak for immoe, btw I think he said he was leaving for vacation. I am very pleased with my '05 Envoy Denali (SWB) I had an '03 Envoy SLT previously, and I can say the '05 is truly an upgrade. The seats are better, truck is quieter and the 5.3L engine is something I think GMC should have offered as an option for the SWB since day one. Every time I hit the accelerator a bit, I tell myself that the '03 would not perform this well. Since I only have 900 miles on truck, and most in town driving so far, I am getting 15 mpg. When this engine loosens up a bit, it will be awesome. :D
  • goodstargoodstar Posts: 27
    Does anyone know if the warranty for Onstar is different than the rest of the vehicle? Found out after paying for service for 3 years for the safety features I thought were there are not because of a problem on board my vehicle...probably never has worked? TB is 4 years old with 51K miles, dealer tells me warranty is probably only good for 3 years 36K miles.

Not real happy with Onstar service now... anyone have any ideas?

thanks
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Made an appointment to get the wife's Envoy SLT in to have the "fan clutch" TSB done (because her Envoy doesn't blow any cool air for at least the first 2-3 minutes of A/C operation). Faxed them the TSB description from this board, and asked them to order the part, so that they could apply the fix once I demonstrate the problem.

They refused, insisting that I needed to demonstrate the problem for them, then they would order the part, and I'd have to bring it back in.

I think I'm finding a new dealer... when the vehicle was new, I complained to the service manager (who I was dealing with on my GTO problems, since resolved by a new car) about the rough idle of my wife's Envoy... without seeing the truck, he tells me "my wife has one, they all do that". Less than a week later, the Envoy was on a flatbed to the dealership (SES light flashing)... cracked spark plug from the factory.

*sigh*

Wish I knew why dealerships played these games,

--Robert
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I doubt any dealer will just order a part without first seeing the vehicle as if they did they would be swamped with parts they will never use. If you are so sure this is the fix than you order the part so it is on hand and if that is what is needed they can install it under warranty. If they can fix it without that part then you won't mind paying for it. :shades:
    The fan clutch is a common part. Strange why they wouldn't order for you. Dealerships have no concerns about customers time. They think nothing of having a vehicle come in, then find they have to order parts and customer has to return to have installed. Often have to go back again, as repair was not completed to customer satisfaction.
    Also seems a lot of dealers don't like a TSB put in their face. They would rather a technician fumble around with diagnostics (that they charge for) and maybe come up with the correct fix. Service depts should listen more to their customers, afterall it is the customers vehicle being repaired.
  • gmfangmfan Posts: 188
    01_hoe - you are right on. If a dealer puts their financial interests above their customers, then the dealer should be subject to a fine. Some professionals, including myself, take an oath and we are to abide by "reasonable man" ethical conduct, and we would be subject to fines or loose our license if we ever put our financial interest above our clients. The whole dealership service experience is a scam and a racket. I wish I could review some statistics that show the income breakdown for dealers between cars sold and service departmental income. I would imagine the later contributes to 85% of their income, if not more. I have great respect for the certified mechanic, but the service rep at my dealership is now a joke...they used to be good, but of course, employee turnover became a problem. The evasive service repUnfortunately for GM or any car manufacturers, if the dealership is poor, then the OVERALL experience is poor.
  • sbudsbud Posts: 1
    I have a Trailblazer that needed all four rotors replaced at 36,000 miles. Only the inside pads wore down and ripped them up. I was told that they dont turn down rotors anymore.
  • immoeimmoe Posts: 15
    Just a wonderful truck to drive. I drove close to 900 mi to Maine and back. Fuel usage was 18.1 on the highway at 75 and an average of 15 on the hilly mountain roads. The truck is very quiet, more responsive than my 02 SLT, seating is a definate upgrade.My 02 with the same axle 3:73 got 22 to 23 on the highway. I would say that is the only plus for the 02, which was a very good vehicle. The one noticeable driving difference is the handling of the Denali. No where near as much roll. Now that the brakes are fixed I would rate the truck close to a 10.
    The part is a new design to replace the old fan clutch. The new design is required if you want to see cool air come out of your A/C vents within 2 minutes of starting the vehicle (in hot weather). There is a TSB out on this.

I have complained about startup A/C performance since getting the vehicle. My wife has a heart condition which means she cannot tolerate extreme heat. I just wanted them to ORDER the darn part so that they could diagnose it AND fix it. This dealership is one of the largest Pontiac/GMC/Buick dealers in the state - I don't see what a big deal this is?

I don't feel my request was unreasonable. I feel their response was. I will let everyone know how my new GMC dealer does - have an appointment for Friday and they claim they'll have the part in stock so that they can perform the TSB.

--Robert
    Good luck with the new service dept. Hope that they get your AC issue resolved, and on the first appointment.
  • TB 02 LTZ/68k miles. I noticed the other week that when climbing some hills that my Transmission was jumping in and out of overdrive. This week we went out of state and it did it again climbing some hills but did fine on the straights. I took it down to a local shop and checked the transmission fluid level and wala, nothing on the stick. I looked underneath and didn't see any fluid on anything nor was there any signs of leaks anywhere I parked. It took three qts to get it back up to level. The guy at the shop put it up on the rack and opened the transaxle filler plug and out came the transmission fluid. What had happened was the seal(s) between the transmission and transaxle is starting to fail and the transmission fluid is leaking into the transaxle. If this is happening to anyone this is probably your problem Be dang sure to fix it before you wind up $2grand into a new transmission. I got lucky I caught it in time.
  • imadad2imadad2 Posts: 79
    For those of you who are getting the TSB on the fan clutch taken care of, I received a recall notice on my 2004 TB Ext. Flicker light recall. If you have had this serviced before, you need to get a new part. I had this taken care of back in June, but when I called the dealer, they stated that this is a new part and I would need it replaced. FYI for those of you who have extended TB's. I am going to wait on the fan clutch. I was given a run around by the two dealers I called and with summer coming to an end soon, I figure I'll try again in the spring since I am still under warranty.
  • Too late for me! 88K on my Bravada, and the tranny went out last month. No symptoms ahead of time...just a lot of noise at over 3 mph and no reverse. Luckily, the local junkyard found one with only 5000 miles on it for $850, so the entire operation cost just over $1200. Still a lot of money, but the dealer quoted $2600 to replace it with a reman. I couldn't say whether the seals were leaking, but I had replaced the fluid and screen relatively recently. No signs of leaking on the garage floor.
  • blink3blink3 Posts: 74
    Have an '02 Envoy and here in the Texas heat, interstate driving, the gauge is usually just a tick under 200 (reading 190), now I am noticing that the gauge is climbing 2-3 ticks over 200 while sitting at a light. Maybe I have never noticed it before but I dont remember it ever getting but just a tiny bit over the 200 mark in traffic or sitting at a light. Could this be a sign of the infamous fan clutch going?

Thanks!
    The local Cadillac GMC dealer (purchased the GMC franchise from the now shuttered Olds dealer last month, so I knew the service advisors from my Aurora days) performed the fan clutch TSB without question at all (they had pre-ordered the part based on the TSB info I had given them). Very smooth and painless experience. It was only 79 degrees outside, so I couldn't tell if it made a difference - just happy that I got it done in one day without the runaround of my previous dealer. GM REALLY needs to do something about poor dealership service (as well as sales professionals who don't know their product)...

--Robert
  • I have read a ton of these posts and found some very helpful information, although i'm not sure how to apply it since everyone has a different remedy, PLEASE help! Bought a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ about 8 months ago, they put it through mandatory manufacturer check points system and said it was good to go. Had it in the shop 3 times in the first 3 months, first time dead battery, second and third time for suspicious clanking under carriage. Fixed that. Warranty is run out now, please keep in mind! I was driving just the other day, with my 3 children on a fairly busy main road and the entire engine just cut out. The only reason I knew was because my steering locked, all lights and radio and dash were still working. Brakes were fine as well. I slowed down (no close traffic thankfully) looked at the dash which said "check break systems", put it in park, turned off and turned back on. It started, so I put it back in gear and began driving again and literally 30 seconds later it cut out again, same locked steering, same dash readout. I coasted to the traffic light, put it in park, turned it off turned it on and drove to a friends house nearby. Parked it for about an hour then went to leave and it wouldn't start. Still won't start 2 days later. Lights come on, dash comes on but door does not "ding". Will not even try to roll-over, makes not a single click or noise. Has anyone else had this problem????? Dealer says there are no "open recalls" on my vehicle, they can look at it but any maintenance to this mysterious problem could likely take days and raise over the cost of the darn thing all together! I have read the "no-start" posts, but this is a little different because i haven't found where anyone elses TB has just cut power in the middle of driving! Don't trust it now even if I could get it started without knowing what the problem is!!! Personally I don't think a vehicle should have any kind of parts in it that can fail right in the middle of driving, let alone that such a seriously dangerous problem hasn't already been addressed and is nearly impossible to figure out. And it's NEW, it shouldn't be doing this, how infuriating!! Please Help!!