Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• gmfangmfan Posts: 188
    Raleigh- That is a great point. Emission systems carry a longer warranty. The oxygen sensor was not covered by my "aftermarket" extended warranty and the dealer claimed it was out of factory warranty. I had this work done a year and a half ago...do you think I would have any luck talking to the dealer about a reimbursement?
    It should be well documented by GM that the Delco batteries leak acid. I was out of warranty, so I made call to Chevy (someone on this posts suggested), and they contacted the dealer since that is where the vehicle was, and Chevy decided to pay for clean up of the acid and install a new Delco. The new Delco they put in is different and will not leak and has a 7 yr warranty! Make sure your vehicle is at the dealer when you call so they can call the dealer to verify. Good luck
  • I had EXACTLY the same thing - FINALLY found it last night - pulled the right front tire and inner fender - the rear black filler that is installed so you can't see the inside of the fender when the door is open was loose - wind whistling around in there would cause it to move & squeak - you could see where it had been rubbing. Wedged it up in there tight - squeak is GONE.
  • Off-hand, I'm not sure what the warranty is on emissions systems, but you're right ... it's a lot longer than the regular warranty -- 10 years or 100,000 miles is what comes to mind. Check your manual and then see the dealer's service manager. This should definitely have been covered. If he balks, go to the Chevy Regional Service Rep. Good luck! :mad:
  • I recently bought a 2005 Trailblazer LS. I got a really good price on it and have been happy with it so far. A couple of things that I have noticed though is that it drives a little "light" what I mean is that a good strong wind can make it sway - it drives more like a car than a truck. Prior to making the purchase, I considered 2 others, the 06 Explorer, which drove like an actual truck and the GMC Envoy, nice and luxurious, but a little pricey. The determining factor for me was the price, in which both were a little out of my price range for a second vechicle. The other thing I is that the plug in outlets do not operate with the vechicle - the rear ones operate independently. Recently, I had battery problems with it starting and the dealer determined that the portable cooler that I keep in the back for trips, was plugged in and was not turning off when the vehicle turned off - power was still going to the cooler which drained the battery after 3 days of being plugged in continously. So, other than that, if you want an afforable, vechicle which is pretty decent on mileage, the TB is ok - also, make sure that you get running boards - I made the mistake of getting one w/out running boards and at 5'3 and female, I'm having to stretch a little to get in and out. Running boards are on my new years shopping list. Regards!
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Posts: 273
    Good deals can be found on Ebay for running boards.
  • wxman4wxman4 Posts: 53
    Hello all,

Is there an easy way to tell if I have an 8.0" or 8.6" rear diff?
    Also, has anyone removed rear diff cover? Will it come completely off without removing the suspension piece directly behind it? It looks pretty tight to me, but I haven't tried it yet. Time for new fluid.

2003, 4WD, EXT, 3.42, locker

Wxman
  • n7donn7don Posts: 188
    Our '03 Envoy had a drain plug so removing the cover wasn't needed to drain fluid..... there's also a drain plug on the front differential too.
  • jh1977jh1977 Posts: 40
    I read on the internet the Trailblazer and Envoy Extended Length SUVs are being discontinued very soon. The Regular Length Trailblazer and Envoy will be recongfigured to have three rows of seats to compete with the Ford Exployer. The Rainer and Rendezvous will also be discontinued for the new 2008 Buick Enclave. Have anybody heard of these changes and what do you think about them?
    Thanks. After much cleaning, some with a wire brush, I found I do have a drain plug at the bottom of the diff. I thought before it was just a casting mark. It appears, unlike the fill plug, to have some kind of rubber seal along with the plug. Any trouble reusing this seal?

Wxman
  • rad225rad225 Posts: 15
    To solve your swaying in the wind problem, install a
    Hotchkis rear anti sway bar. I put on on my 2002 TB and the vehicle is very stabile in crosswinds. Cost about $220.
    Worth every penny.
  • I have a very annnoying rattle that seems to be coming from either the drivers side rear door, or the pilar between the front and rear drivers side doors. It happens when I hit a slight bump in the road. It almost sounds like a plastic against plastic sound. I lubed all the latches and door clamps and the problem still persists. Anyone experience this and have a fix? Thanks! BTW.. its an 05 Envoy.
  • n7donn7don Posts: 188
    Honestly it's been long enough I don't recall the particulars but I didn't replace the seal.

Out of interest are you going to use the high dollar fluid recommended by GM? My Envoy still has warranty so I did but tblazed did a lot a calling/emailing and used Royal Purple at less than 1/2 the price. I couldn't get anyone to say their product met the GM spec listed in the owner's manual. If you are going to change the transfer case too... and have the shield option... it can get a little tricky. I was lazy and didn't want to completely remove the shield so I just removed enough bolts to pull it down about 8" in the front. I fashioned a trough from cardboard and used it as a drain. Actually worked fine.
    Thanks. I think the rear change will be on tap for tonight.
    I used/am using Redline 75W90 in the diffs and Redline MTL in the transfer case. (Also have Redline D4 in the tranny.)
    These were the 'equivalents' they recommended.
    I have used Redline in everything except engine (Mobil 1) for years, including Water Wetter and SI1 fuel system cleaner. I used to live near Benicia where they are headquartered. Haven't had a reason to change.

Wxman
  • balichbalich Posts: 62
    I just reviewed CONSUMER REPORTS because I was in
    market for a '05 or '06 TB .. However the comments where
    not flattering ... They listed the '05 and '06 TB as vehicles to avoid ..also say RELIABILTY with a X meaning
    to avoid .. it says lots of windnoise and rattles .. also
    seats not very comfortable and cheapo interior and horrible ride ..

Is this true ? I can't believe they would sell so many
    TB's if they where reliable.
  • How many people here have Sirius in a TrailBlazer or Envoy? What system are you using? I have an 05 TB with XM. Is there any way to use my unused XM antenna (I don't subscribe to XM) to get the signal to the Sirius? I want Sirius, but don't want to run an antenna onto the roof of my TB.
  • balichbalich Posts: 62
    BEST and WORST cars by Consumer reports ... TB one of the worst .. GM has by far the most WORST PERFORMING VEHICLES in the list ...here is the link:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/used-cars/used-cars-best-and-worst-1205.- htm
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I used a plug & play portable Sirius receiver with a very tiny magnetic antenna on the back roof in the middle just in front of the tailgate opening. Very unobtrusive and the unit works great using the FM modulator. I have an extra antenna on my boat and just unplug the unit when I get to the lake and then use it on the boat. I am very happy with the setup and it was $50.
    Consumer reports have never favored GM or Ford. To me their reports ****. I have had two of the GMC Envoys, an '03 and currently an '05. We have had more problems with our '02 Honda Odyssey van (which they love) than either of the Envoys. GM had greatly improved the TrailBlazer and Envoys from the first they made in 2002.
  • I Agree... I also had an 03 and now have an 05 and love the vehicle. I find the ride very comfortable and fairly responsive. I have had 2 transmissions in my "highly rated" 02 Acura TL... a consumer reports favorite.
    I would disregard CR comments and go drive a couple from different dealerships. I think there should be some kind of disclosure (maybe there already is) that says these reports are "our opinion..etc" I have an 02 TB made in Aug and this is a better than average vehicle. I have 85,000 and I have not had any problems. No rattles in mine. The windnoise can be debateable, some of this post have posted problems, but I think those were the people that this is there first SUV purchase. I could not be happier in mine. This is my first GM vehicle, my parents always bought GM, and I really like it. Of course, I am comparing it to that 1996 Jeep GC I owned that once it hit 118,000 miles, it needed nearly $4,000 in repairs!

The only con I have with the vehicle is lack of lateral support in the seats, which they may have fixed on the 05 and 06 models. Can anyone comment on this? I won't be in the market for another vehicle until at least 2008, but if we were not expecting a child, I would go out and by an 06, grey exterior (they did not offer it in 2002).
    Seats were upgraded on the '05's. Might check Ebay and pick up a set at a good price. They will bolt in, but you will loose the side airbags, if you now have them.
  • I USED to pay attention to CR and consumerguide.com, but I have found them to be very biased after doing further research. I recommend you take their ratings about as seriously as the drunk's at the local bar. If you want *quiet* you should test drive a Rainier. It is very quiet on rough pavement and comfortable. Got mine for $33k at 0%.

I think you will find that reliability has as much to do with the individual vehicle as the make or model. People have problems with Toyotas and Hondas just like GM and Ford. You can get a lemon or a peach from any mfg. I have had very good luck with GM for 15+ years now. My '05 Rainier is the best vehicle I've owned in 35 years - a real pleasure to drive.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,805
    The Consumer Reports - Testing & Review Methods discussion may be of interest.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jdhjdh Posts: 19
    We have a 2004 rainier and got stuck in about 10" of snow while trying to back up. Vehicle pulled forward fine but tires kept spinning when in reverse. Anyone have similar problems.

JDH
  • It's not up to Honda/Toyota fit/finish or reliability, IMHO, or that of most other objective research. Outright quality of interior materials is lower, I believe. Hey, why did my CRV have far greater rear passenger room than the TrailBlazer? Better packaging efficiency (and vastly different platforms, I realize, but the TrailBlazer should still have more room in the rear passenger compartment than it does for the size vehicle that it is).

That being said, in addition to my Lexus RX330, I just sold my Honda CRV and instead of a Pilot or Acura MDX I bought a Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS.

Why? Three little characters:

LS2.

I'll be in the shop more than if I bought the MDX or Pilot, but I'll get there in a hurry.

:)

Cheers,
    Bruce

P.S.
    Hemi? What's a Hemi?
  • I have the '05 Rainier and found it backed up as well as it went forward in snow. However, it did exhibit a strong tendency to spin the rears more than the fronts. This is "by design" - why it is not symmetrical torque sharing I don't know. Subaru, Audi and others use sym. torque sharing and it seems far superior. I had a Maxda MPV 4WD many years ago with center-diff lock button. That was a dirt-simple system that REALLY worked. I had 4 studded snows on it and NOTHING could stop it - believe me I tried! 12 degree slope on glare ice was no problem! But once the snow got above 9" it struggled - too much body drag.

As for 10" of snow - I'm surprised you could go ANY direction in that much. I think 6-8" is about the limit for most "off-the-shelf" SUV's unless you change tires etc. If you plan to do a lot of snow driving you should consider a spare set of wheels with studded snows premounted.
  • the wring for the temp sensor may already there. All you need is a mirror with compass and temp sensor. you will also need the sensor that is on the left upper radiator supp. if you have onstar you will need and onstar mirror
    Congrats on the TB SS :D

Lot of TB SS owners over at trailvoy

A Hemi is what you see in your rear view mirror ;)
  • theres really not anything in pillar to rattle. Inside the rear door there is two rods one for handle and one for lock rod these can rattle . the other source of rattle could be the window channel 10mm bolts could be loose. try opening and closing the door with a little extra ump and see if you hear when the door shuts.( use your warranty)
    gmc dealers will be glad to fix it free