Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• blink3blink3 Posts: 74
    Just wondering if anyone has the V-8 and what kind of HWY mileage you are seeing????

I have an Envoy with the 6 and am going to need to get another vehicle very soon. (I drive tons of hwy miles). I could really use the extra space offered by the Tahoe/Yukon but it looks like I would be getting 18-19 hwy which would cost me an extra thousand dollars per year in fuel (I have done the math), which is not out of the question. I currently get 21-22 mpg am am ok with that. I would like a little extra "grunt" though and the extra torque of the V-8 would give that I think. Question:
    If I stick with the Envoy/Trailblazer/Buick/Isuzu/etc bodystyle, what are my options in getting one with a V-8??? I want to go used and try to find something with 10-20k miles on it. I also do not care too much for the "extended" version of envoy so would like to stay short. If I am going to get an XL I would get a Tahoe. I have flipped back and forth, I dont know what to do.....
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Posts: 100
    http://www.bilstein.com/

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/

2003 OLDSMOBILE BRAVADA

POSITION*: Front
    Manufacturer: BILSTEIN
    New part#: F4-BE5-A333-H0
    List Price: $ 121.00
    Category: Shock Absorbers

POSITION*: Rear
    Manufacturer: BILSTEIN
    New part#: F4-BE5-A334-H0
    List Price: $ 121.00
    Category: Shock Absorbers
  • gmfangmfan Posts: 188
    In the short wheel based verson, you can get the GMC Envoy Denali and the Buick Rainer with V-8's. I am sure you can get 20mpg on the hwy. You cannot get the V-8 in the short wheel TB unless you get the SS (corvette engine). I agree, I do not like the extended verson of the Envoy or Trailblazer- it is too much like a tunnel and makes me feel claustrophobic, not to mention the handling is not as good as the short wheeled. I think the extended version "porposes" down the highway with the way too soft suspension. That motion sickness will make anyone sick who is riding in the back. If I were in the market I would get a 2006 Tahoe with the 3:23 rear end and 5.3 V-8. The 4.8 V-8 option in the Tahoe is a little too small for that size of vehicle. Just my opinon.
  • imadad2imadad2 Posts: 79
    gmfan is correct. The TB only has the V-8 if you get the extended version or the SS. I have the extended version and like the extra power. I also would recommend the 5.3 V-8 over the 4.8. IMO, the 5.3 V-8 is the best engine Chevrolet makes. I have plenty of power on my TB and I don't think my suspension is to soft. The extended TB and Envoy have been discontinued and the new Thaoe looks a lot like the Equinox but big. I think it is quite attractive. Best of luck.
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    I know of at least one 2006 short wheelbase Trailblazer LT with the 5.3 V8. I think the V8 became an option on the short TB in 2006.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I know of at least one 2006 short wheelbase Trailblazer LT with the 5.3 V8. I think the V8 became an option on the short TB in 2006.
    =========================
    at the same time they dropped the long wheelbase.
  • gpackerfgpackerf Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what is the last day someone can order a 2006 Trailblazer?

I've looking to buy new, and you can indeed get a Trailblazer( not EXT) with the 5.3 liter, DOD engine. I've seen a few on the lots, but not in the color I like.
  • glubashglubash Posts: 19
    I've got '03 V8 Extended and have found gas mileage to be as follows:

City: 13-15 MPG
    Highway (55-60 mph): 19-20 MPG
    Highway (65-70 mpg): 17-18 MPG

I have two friends with the same engine in different vehicles.

Friend #1: Tahoe 4WD - more room, same gas mileage as mine.
    Friend #2: Suburban - much more room, claims to get 21 mpg.

Glubash
  • ckeenckeen Posts: 2
    I also have a GM vehicle that is stalling and the dealership can't find the problem. I have an '04 Trailblazer that has been in over 6 times verified for the for the same problem. And they tell us that there is no problem found or cannot duplicate. They have re-burnt the PCM and then replaced it when that did not work. We have been dealing with this same problem for about a year and 15,000 miles now. We are looking into the lemon law and have filed the paperwork and had it there for the final attempt to fix. The lemon law applies for two years to 36,000 miles. We have 31,000 miles and counting. I am parking it until they take it. They say they can't find a problem because it doesn't set a code. My husband is a certified diesel mechanic and says it doesn't have to set a code to have a problem. We shall see what happens.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Posts: 273
    You are correct. You can get the 5.3L V8 with DOD in short wheel base TB in cloth or leather LS or LT. Only way for short wheelbase in Envoy is with expensive Denali trim. Can find 5.3L used in the Buick Rainier, maybe in TB or Envoy Denali.
    Last year the cutoff was around May 13th. Dealers "should" know.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    A large newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have large SUVs but might rent a car to save on gas when going on long trips. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, April 6, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• blink3blink3 Posts: 74
    Are these heavier than the regular Envoys? They are rated at 19 hwy. Isn't the regular Envoy rated at 21 hwy? That is a pretty big difference if so. Anyone with any pros/cons on the XUV. I know that they were not big sellers but I haul a lot of stuff in the back and it would work pretty well for me I think but if it is significantly heavier then fuel mileage would suffer as well as performance.
    Input???
    Thanks!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,845
    "The Envoy XUV is basically an XL (the long-wheelbase version of the Envoy) that has been stripped of its third-row seat and fitted with a trick, retractable roof section over the rear cargo compartment."

The review that I pulled the quote from also has a link to the specs you can check out while waiting for responses from owners.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• carpro3carpro3 Posts: 10
    Hi Guy here is the update on my stalling Envoy. They put the data recorder on the Envoy it was not working right they got the data recorder fix and on Wed. went off too work I brought my Video recorder with me and before I got a mile from the house it stall hit the data recorder and also got it all on tape restarted and went and fill up with gas exceess crank to get it to start got it start went another mile set at a traffic light went to go and it stall went ot the dealer that morning told them that it stall twice had it on tape and also should be on the data recorder they were not interested in my video the service writer call be later said they got some information off the data recorder but had to send information to the GM enginger becauce they did know whet the information data was say. Enginger told them to replace the computer. So we had the Envoy back for a day everything Ok today but I not sure it fix becauce other people said they replace the computer and the still had problem. We turn all our paper work over to a law we are going to tied to get it lemon law he said we have a go case even if the got it fix this time becauce how many problem and how many times it been to the dealer.

We up data you soon.
  • mookie14mookie14 Posts: 252
    Can anyone help me on this i have had the stabalizer links changed and i still have clunking is there anything i can do to get this to go away? It is not the struts they are not leaking i do know the tblazer suspension is soft i am replacing the rear shocks. So i do need to do something about this front it is getting on my nerves. Can someone help please. Could it be the strut mounts?
  • rj123456rj123456 Posts: 128
    I have a 2002 GMC Envoy XL SLT (build date on door 4/02). The front passenger side seat belt retractor has jammed and the belt won't move in either direction.

I understand there were a couple of related TSBs (03-09-40-006A SEP 04 Restraint System - Front seat belt retractor jamming, 02-09-40-003 SEP 02 Passenger seat belt too tight) as well as a recal(l (04037 JUN04 Recall front seat belt retractor defect NHTSA capaign 04V201000).

I went to the dealer today (Stevens Creek in Santa Clara CA) and the service rep. said that the vehicle was beyond warranty and this recall did not show up on their system. Also quoted me roughly ~120/parts and $160 labor for a total of $280 to fix it.

A few questions for this board:
    a) My vehicle is not on the recall list - apparently only covers build dates up to 20020131. Given how common this problem seems to be (261,801 units recalled!) - how does GM decide the cut off date for the recall?

b) Any others here who have Feb 2002+ build dates with the same problem?

c) Should GM be covering this or am I out of luck? If the former, how can I get them to authorize the dealer to do the repair?

d) If not, is the ~$300 price reasonable? Is this DIY'able? I tried gmpartsdirect.com to look for parts and the parts there appear to be $40-60 or so. But they have several parts numbers, including "2-door" and "4-door versions - as far as I know there are NO 2-door 2002 Envoys so their catalog/part #s seems suspect.

Thanks in advance for your help!

e) PS while I'm at it, how easy is it to change the air filter?
    You say you have had the front stabilizer bar end links changed. How about the front stabilizer bar bushings? Have they also been replaced? End links and bushings are two separate items.
    Call the 800 GM assiatance number in your owners manual. Ask them for help.

The air filter is a easy DIY. Remove the air filter box cover take out old filter and install new.
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    a. The recall cutoff is based on the number of parts the supplier sent to GM that are suspected of having a quality problem. It is usually traced by lot number. Given that the assembly plant builds using FIFO (first in first out) As of 1/31/06 they had used up the last parts that were in the suspected lot of bad parts.

b. Don't know

c. Call the 800 number and complain, they have a process to follow and stay calm with them and sometimes they will help you out.

d. Based on labor rates of $80-$85 the $300 charge is normal for any work done on a car today. Figure 2 hours labor plus parts marked up at least 1.5 times the cost at gmpartsdirect.com also the 2 door they may be refering to was the old model S-10/Jimmy which GM kept making until 2004.

e. don't know

I was looking into buying a Trailblazer to replace my Astro van but decided not to due to the numerious transmission, A/C and stalling problems. I will stick with the old technology that is more reliable and my van has more passenger and cargo space than a TB EXT anyway.
    I thought if safety related (i.e. seat belts) then it would be fixed regardless if it is out of warranty by the manufacturer for goodwill purposes. I think if you called GM and explained in a level headed maner, they may help you out. The air filter is not bad- there are three screws that secure the box into place. You have to negiote a small rubber hose, but that is it.
    At 91K miles, I went ahead and changed my spark plugs this past weekend. Overall, they looked good and probably would have been fine for another 20,000 miles. It took me an hour and half- it was not quite as easy as I thought- thank god my father-in-law has every kind of tool imaginable. Vehicle cranks a little faster and has more power when you stand on it. However, I cannot tell a difference in performance when driving around town. I put the Bosch 4+ platinum plugs in- I like the idea of having a hotter plug. This message board has dried up- maybe everyone likes their triplet afterall?
    I sent them email from mygmlink. They said TSBs are essentially advisory and there is no recall on the XLs for my 4/02 build date. They said they would call me to discuss "cost assistance". What can I reasonably hope to get from them?

--
    I was looking at replacement prices online and partsamerica wants $70 for a filter - ouch that is expensive!

There's a seller on fleeBay selling a "cleaning kit" for ten bucks - any one here used one of those??

gmpartsdirect has a few that are cheaper but as usual their site is impossible to understand (and I have not received a reply yet to the email I sent them 2 days ago).
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 838
    Autozone shows an STP SA9345 air filter to fit the Envoy.. about $14. Seems as if I paid more than that the one time I replaced mine. Also checked Advance Auto parts...they have a Purolator for $20 and a Fram with discount that is less that $18. BTW, I noticed that shopping on-line throught Advance ends up at PartsAmerica.com. Only thing I saw there for $70 was a Tornado replacement filter system. Even the K/N was only about $60.
    The one I mentioned was the K/N...at Partsamerica.com for $69.99 (I rounded off to $70, probably more with S&H and tax, if the charge that).
  • carpro3carpro3 Posts: 10
    Here is the latest on my Envoy Stall. They replace the computer last Thurday pick-up Envoy Thurday night they left thr data recorder on the Envoy ran fine for the weekend Monday after work it stall again and then Tuesday morning on the way to work took back to dealer. They said the data recorder pick-up information but it didn,t help them they reprogram the data recorder to pick-up different information and had be pick-up Envoy on the way to work Wed it acted like it want to stall but did not but Wed after work it did so off to the dealer I go in the morning.

That the lastest!
  • mookie14mookie14 Posts: 252
    Alright 01Hoe i changed the links not the bushings i am buying the rear sway bar should i put the front bushings on also that come with it? Also do i have to buy the alignment kit to go with the springs or is that with eibach. Which i see they do not make some for the tblazer Which one should i go with? Lastly i am changing all the shocks bilsteins that is let me know thanks.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Posts: 838
    Okay...I did not understand that you wanted to change the compete air filter system, not just the element. Why do you want to change to something other than the OEM air filter setup? I have not seen any real evidence that the K/N type filters give much if any better mileage or performance on most vehicles. I know some think they do, but I don't believe there is that much difference.
    My mistake. I just tried searching for "filter" and didn't realize that you can get them as a system (i.e. $70) or just the filter ($10-20). I get it now!