Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• I own 02 TB LTZ. 150K miles on it. I bought it (almost) new at dealer in 02.

I STILL haven't replaced the brakes. I keep asking various vendors (Big O Tires/Dealer) when I take it in, and they always say its fine.

WEIRD

WPK
  • Nice mileage! May I inquire as to your maintenence schedule? Change the oil every 3000 miles? Synthetic oil or still using the plain ol` dino oil? Have you had any issues with your TB? Did you have to change the links?
  • Oil changes, every 4-5K (kind of a balance between 3K and recommended 7.5K); only maintenance items (other than fluids, filters and 100K spark plug deal) are (i) tires (of course, about ready for third set) and (ii) shocks (upgraded to heavy duty Bilstiens).

Still runs quiet as a mouse, and plenty of power. I live in Sierras and tow boats, fight snow, etc. It's been great. I'm looking for about 300K out of this one.

- WPK
  • Why upgrade the shocks? Was it worth the money?
  • I sure think so. The original shocks that came with all trailblazers, including mine, are bilsteins, but are not heavy duty. My rear shocks started leaking at 30K. I continued to run them until about 140K. Then, I replaced all around with the bilstein Heavy Duty. World of difference. Feels much tighter all around. It may not be worth it to do a premature replacement (as you can tell, it takes me a while to get around to these things). However, when you do need new shocks, definitely get the Heavy Duty. It's a completely different shock.

-WPK
  • Hey Trailblzerls and Tblaze...

Just wondering how this repair went.

I have the exact same rattle problem on my 02 TB. Did you replace bushings or links too?? :D
  • I just bought a 2004 GMC Envoy. So far I love it, but I am having a problem and wonder if I could ask a question. Anyone heard of or know why the RPM would just drop while your driving. It usually happens when I am going between 40 and 55 mph. It just suddenly bogs down like I am running out of gas. Then it picks right back up.
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    I have the exact same rattle problem on my 02 TB. Did you replace bushings or links too??

My bushings were fine. I replaced the 4 links which fixed all the suspension rattling.
  • I had the rattle also in my '02 LS TB and dealer replaced 4 links and not bushings at 65,000 miles. Feels a little tighter and no more rattle. Dealer charged alomst $450 but it was covered under extended warranty. I just paid $50 deductable.
  • jr222jr222 Posts: 15
    I scraped my Bravada against a parking lot pole the other night which put deep scratches into the right rear plastic molding slightly in front of the wheel well. No damage to the metal. Anyone know what holds these side moldings to the body? I don't see any clips. I know moldings on some vehicles are held on by that double sided 3M tape.

Thanks for any help - JR
  • ross1962ross1962 Posts: 229
    I thought the long brake life was odd too. It's due to the ceramic brakes on these. One of the many things they got right about these vehicles.
    I replaced my shocks with the HD Bilsteins as well as added the Hotchkiss sway bar kit. Much better ride.
    You can get a spare key cut anywhere for a few bucks, but the remote key fob will cost you $150 to buy it and have it programmed.
  • did you use GM parts or 3rd party?? can you share part # and cost.

I was quoted $299 by the dealership for 4 link kits.

:shades:
  • Yes it's the key I need thanks.

By the way the fob remotes can be purchased right on ebay for as little as $10 and [you] can program it for nothing. The instructions are included.
  • n7donn7don Posts: 188
    Could be torque converter lockup. RPM will drop about 3%. This is normal operation. At steady speed try gently stepping on the brakes momentarily and see if RPM increases slightly and then drops again. This is the converter unlocking and relocking.
  • gam2gam2 Posts: 306
    I just checked my brakes at 42K miles because they were starting to pulsate. Plenty of pad left but they are worn unevenly due to heavy rust on all 4 rotors. The rotors rusted on the inner and outer edges even where the brake shoe contacted the rotor. The eneven rust caused the pulsation. The pads are pretty much shot though, as they are grooved pretty bad on the inner and outer edges. Don't know how that could happen?? Pretty useless to have pads that go 100K miles if the rotors eat them up at 40K.

Greg
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Took the TB in this morning for the second time. When using the remote door opener the left mirror will either go all the way out or in and start clicking. It has then forgotten where to set itself. First time they reprogramed it. Has anyone else gotten this problem corrected?
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    I used Moog parts. Here's a link to an old post with the part numbers. Should be able to get all 4 for less than $100.

tblazed, "Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy" #16281, 22 Mar 2005 7:52 am
  • emlawemlaw Posts: 3
    What I'm hearing about the replacement for my Envoy is that the Acadia will only be made in a 7 passenger model (same with the Enclave). Can that be true? I don't want or need the third row of seats.
  • Please let me know if you find out what the deal is! My 2002 Bravada does the exact same thing whenever you unlock the vehicle with the key fob. I have been contemplating a removal of the fuse/wire (if thats even possible)because its so annoying! If only you could program the thing to not move! The dealer said I had adjusted the memory position to a point outside the normal operating range and when re-programmed it worked fine for about a week.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    You can turn off the memory functions using the drivers information center. Owner's manual gives the details.
  • I have a 2003 TrailBlazer LTZ which I bought new in April 2003. Am having a problem with my tailgate/license pocket gasket (seal) being sucked into the body. It was replaced the first time in Jan 2004 with p/n 15170981 and I was told then that this was an improved seal and I would not have this problem again. Well, it is happening again after the 3 year 36,000 warranty expired. My dealership said they will replace it on a “one time only goodwill”. I asked if there has been any changes by GM to this item so it will not happen again. I was told “we don’t re-engineer GM cars”. Question for tblazed or anyone else who might know, has GM come up with anything that will stop this seal from being sucked into the body?”
    The Acadia is a crossover vehicle, which means it is built on a unitized construction car frame. There will be a 2007 Envoy, so the Acadia is not a replacement for it.
    7 passenger seating will be possible in boh of these without extending the length of the vehicles due to independent rear suspension.
    This gasket was actually a band aid that was put in place due to the fact there was paint chipping where the plastic lisence plate holder and the steel rear hatch interface. Starting in 2003, this came with the cars. 2002 models were retrofitted free of charge. They never did come up with a good design for it.
  • Had mine replaced on the 02 TB back in 02. Still works perfectly and has not moved an inch. Maybe I'm just lucky.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,522
    Ditto here. When mine was redone they didn't use the goo that was on the first one. Maybe that's the secret.
  • Thanks about the "goo". The one they replaced in 2004 has lots of goo. I'm taking it in next Tuesday so they can replace it the 2nd time. I'll ask them not to use the goo and maybe I won't have to replace it a 3rd time.
  • I agree about the "goo". I bought my 2002 Envoy and had to have the gasket installed. I would wander around the dealership when I was having any kind of service done and noticed after they started installing the gaskets at the factory, most of them looked bad from the glue seeping. Some even had the gaskets twisting already on the lot. I asked when they installed mine, they said it wasn't necessary. Still looks fine after a couple of years. Maybe it was just to make the manufacturing process easier by holding the gasket in place before assembly.

The whole purpose of the gasket was to fix the problem with the plastic license plate holder rubbing away the paint from the liftgate. It would expand in the heat and make contact. If you parked in the hot summer sun, you could hear it popping as it expanded. I suspect the "goo" just oozes out when it expands and allows it to shift.
  • goodstargoodstar Posts: 27
    shudder in transmission from 1st to 2 nd... did the dealer ever get the problem resolved? I have a 02 trailblazer and an 04 envoy that both sometimes will shudder.
    thanks