Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Hi Everyone,

I posted this here before and didn't get any replies, but I wanted to try again just in case!

Does anyone know if you can retrofit the 2002 Driver's side electro-chromatic dimming mirror (with turn-signal) on a 2003 model? GM removed the outside dimming mirror feature on the 2003 models and I would desperately like to re-add this feature. My 2002 had it and I love that particular feature.

For those of you who have the service manuals, does it show any possible illustrations (or give any information)that the same wiring harness used in the 2002's to connect this feature is still present in the 2003 models?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IExplore2000
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Posts: 206
    The windsheild washer fluid is only working on one side. I am guessing that the line is clogged . It is going in on wed of next week and i will let you all know what it is. Also going on a long trip the following week after it is in the shop I want them to take an overall look at the truck before I take it too far from home . we are in NY and going to VA and SC for a 2 week trip. Is there anything I should have them really check for this long of a trip?? We have just had the works done to it in june (oil change , tire rotation etc) any help is useful thanks guys.
  • kgbkahnkkgbkahnk Posts: 89
    Well, we now know part numbers and prices for the cabin lights components. If we only just had one brave soul to attempt this little modification and report back to us on the difficulty and success of the project.....

(I'm an admitted coward when it comes to projects of this nature.)

Any takers?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I don't see any obvious reason why that couldn't be done - provided you can find the mirrors!

tidester, host
  • Looking for simple "plug and play" if you know what I mean? Honestly, if the last model year wiring (2002) is still in tact on the 2003 models, then I should simply be able to buy the mirror and plug it in to work properly, electrochromatic feature and all.

However, on the other hand, if GM decontented that feature for the 2003 models, did they remove the old wiring harness for the 2002 models and installed a new (non-electrochromatic mirror wiring) wiring system for 2003? If that is the case, then I cannot simply plug in the mirror and have it work correctly. Does that make better sense?

I am hoping to gain insight from someone on this board who may have a service manual or just technical insight as to if last years wiring is still in tach. Additionally, I can remember someones post a year or so ago about installing the signaling mirror on a non SLT model Envoy. If I can recall correctly, they had to rewire "stuff" to make it work properly. In their case, I guess GM does not use the same wiring harness across the board. It looks as if SLT or LT/LTZ models came with the complete harness in 2002 and the base models did not.

-- Thanks!

IExplore2000
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Oh, I understand what you are asking. I just don't know the answers! I was hoping someone more technically competent would jump in here! Anyone?

tidester, host
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    Read GM is supposedly pulling out all the stops on content and features for the Rainier. Maybe all those decontented things will find their way to the Buick.
  • aldan93aldan93 Posts: 202
    Use a tank of 89 octane-93 It'll give it a little more OMPH through west virgina!
  • paulpropaulpro Posts: 56
    I added the dimming mirror to my 2002. The above description on how they operate and a little mechanical/electrical ability will allow a skilled owner to put his own mirror in. I found on my Envoy, the wiring harness was complete from the mirror to the door but the internal door harness did not have the necessary wires. I had to substitute my own.

You're only running 1 1/2 volts so it isn't a big deal. Mirrors are available on EBay. You need to have the dimming internal mirror to make it work.

There is not a "plug and play" answer to this. It takes vehicle modification but it can be done. Just depends how inventive you are.

Hope this encourages you to do it. I really like mine.

Paul P
  • mookie14mookie14 Posts: 252
    this should i go by the operators book as far is what to maintain or maintenance rather. the dealer is confusing me what should i do? in my book it says 15000 mile service axle joints fuel filter WHERE DOES All this other stuff come in at i got a 03 tbalzer ls lket me know i do not drive in a dusty place im like oh burbs city so..... thanks.
    I guess yours paulpro already had the interior auto-dim mirror? It would certainly make it easier if the vehicle already has the auto-dim interior mirror. Does the '03 have the auto-dim interior mirror? If so, then probably just a matter of replacing the outside mirror and hooking up a couple of missing wires since the two mirrors work together. That is, IF the '03 version interior mirror has the output connection needed to run the outside mirror.
  • My 03 does have the inside dimming mirror. I do understand how essential this piece of the puzzle is to adding the outside dimming mirror.

Thanks to everyone for responding. It definitely looks as if there is not an easy way to do this. Unfortunatly, I don't have the guts to go ripping off door panels and trying to add wires in order to make this work properly. I just figured that if the inside door wiring harness was "dimmer-mirror" ready, then I could simply purchase the mirror, plug it into the existing harness and watch it work. Apparently, this is not the case.

Maybe I will mosy over to the local GMC dealer to see if they can pull up one of those schematic diagrams to see if it indicates that the inside door wiring on SLT models are already "dimming-mirror" ready like the 2002's? Initially, I called to inquire and was told very quickly by the parts team "NO.. that option has been deleted for 2003." I felt that the answer given was just simply a quick NO because of the decontenting, but it does seem as if the wiring would/should be in place.

Thanks everyone!

IExplore2000
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Posts: 100
    "Maybe I will mosy over to the local GMC dealer to see if they can pull up one of those schematic diagrams to see if it indicates that the inside door wiring on SLT models are already "dimming-mirror" ready like the 2002's? Initially, I called to inquire and was told very quickly by the parts team "NO.. that option has been deleted for 2003." I felt that the answer given was just simply a quick NO because of the decontenting, but it does seem as if the wiring would/should be in place."

Dennis, I'm sorry to tell you going to the dealer will get you nowhere. The connectors on the 02 & 03 are the same but they are missing the wiring you need. Also GM will not help you alter your vehicle beyond factory specs. You should go to a shop that does custom Audio/Video/Electronics installs and run it by them. GoodLuck
    Hey nuyorkah why don't you look and see if the '02 and '03 Interior auto-dim mirrors have the same part number? If they do, then at least the int mirror should have the extra connection for the outside mirror hook-up. That might put an end to the question, or leave open the possibility for someone that wants to do a little wiring mod. Just a thought.
    "Hey nuyorkah why don't you look and see if the '02 and '03 Interior auto-dim mirrors have the same part number? If they do, then at least the int mirror should have the extra connection for the outside mirror hook-up. That might put an end to the question, or leave open the possibility for someone that wants to do a little wiring mod. Just a thought."

I did check on door and mirror harness but not inside mirror, I will tomorrow.
    nuyorkah, curious what the difference is with the new '04 front stabilizer bar they have changed. Different link setup, bigger, smaller or?? Maybe your source for info will show that.

Also there seems to be two different part numbers for the transmission filter kit. My Owner's manual shows one number, someone else said that is wrong. What is the correct number? '02 2WD TB
  • redline65redline65 Posts: 693
    Question for you auto climate control owners - the manual says if the temperature is hot enough the auto system will run on recirculation until it cools down enough in the cabin. I noticed with the near-100 degree days here in north Texas that I have to manually push the recirculate button. Is this a misprint or should it recirculate automatically?
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Posts: 266
    There is a deep pan kit and a shallow pan kit for the 4L60E tranny. My '02 tb has the deep pan. The shallow pan is ~2.25" deep, the deep pan ~3" deep. This is according to the '02 factory service manual. I replaced the filter with part#24208576 transmission filter kit for the deep pan. The replacement filter was identical in dimensions to the original. It's also possible that the part number has changed since the owner's manual was published. hth, tim
  • Redline my 2002 Climate Control Envoy does the same thing. I also live in Texas. I stuck a thermometer in the vent, and it was 70f comming out of the vent at idle, with the car in recirc it was 50f. It is much easier to cool the air in the car than take 100f to 50f. I think it sucks but I guess we will just have to push the button each time.
    The inside mirrors are the same for 02-03 triplets, there are five to choose from depending on options.

pn# 24208576 tranny filter is still a good number for the deep pan. Another way to tell the difference is if the filter is all black its deep, if its black with silver(metal)its shallow.