Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• ficussficuss Posts: 541
    ah yes, rich Corinthian Rayon. BTW, you won't generate static electricity getting out of leather seats.
  • 2002slt2002slt Posts: 228
    "BTW, you won't generate static electricity getting out of leather seats."

If they aren't helping to generate it, what is? I have had leather in my last 3 vehicles, and have certainly been shocked upon exiting them. Usually only occurs during the cold months here in the Chicago area.
    I kind of like it in the mornings, though. It helps to get me going. :)
  • ficussficuss Posts: 541
    The only times I've had static electric buildup in cars was when the cars had a cloth or velour seat. I'm in Chicago also, so the climate is the same. Some cars will build up static due to other reasons besides seats. I had a Honda Accord that built up so much static that I would shock the toll booth attendants if I handed them coins. This had nothing to do with the seats, since I didn't leave the car. There are many possible causes for static buildup in cars. The seats are only one of them. You usually feel the static when your foot touches the ground and your hand or arm touches the metal car body.
  • kpp14kpp14 Posts: 62
    "I kind of like it in the mornings, though. It helps to get me going. :)"
    Hey Mike. (Sorry but I can't help myself)Wouldn't sitting on sub-zero leather absolutely freeze your (insert your favourite slang here)......... off. As far as getting going in the morning I prefer a coffee while driving.
    t-blazed, us guys in the North can't clean the leather or anything else for that matter unless you have a heated and insulated garage. The truck and your cleaning chemicals get frozen solid. Toronto dumps 1000's of tons of salt on the roads to melt the ice and snow. A little coffee on the seats is nothing compared to the road crap everywhere. Buffalo NY gets the worst winter conditions anywhere because of the lake. You can go off-roading on the road there! Host, if someone uses "questionable words" but is still funny does he get booted in the..i mean out.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ...if someone uses "questionable words" but is still funny does he get booted in the...

It depends on how "questionable" the words are! It doesn't take too much skill to find a way of saying what you want without testing the boundaries - unless of course you hit your thumb with a hammer in which case prompt utterances are unavoidable and serve to mitigate the intense discomfort. But then you're not posting on a message board anyway! ;-)

tidester, host
  • aldan93aldan93 Posts: 202
    First snow flakes of the year are FLYING!!! Lets see if we can get more than last years 10 FEET!!!
    LOL!!! I'm from the south town's of Buffalo, we get it the worst, Near the Boston Hills!!!! Thats why I snapped and got a TB in DEC 29 of 2002!!!!
  • Hey KPP it you would drive your Trailblazer an hour north on the 400(just to keep it on topic) to Barrie you will see what snow really is. The snow belt is here and it is amazing how much difference an hour on the highway makes. The snow on my lawn last year was up to my chest.
    Those guys in the south don't know how good they have it other than the fact they don't get to live in Canada.

Later
    Leopardmech
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    Yes, I have spilled coffee on my cloth seats. It beaded up- did not soak in or stain. It seems to have an effective fabric protectant on the cloth. Darn "cup holders" these have don't fit any coffee cup I have found so far.

One thing I noticed on both the Bravada and the Rainier I looked at last week at the fair, they both use basically the same console, they are missing one cup holder hole on the console. A piece of wood grain plastic is there instead.

BTW- Potential Bravada owners, get your piece of Oldsmobile history as GM puts it, '04 "Oldsmobile Final 500 Edition" Bravada while they last starting in January. They get special fender badges and embroidering on the seats.
  • My two cents: The reason I opted for cloth is that leather doesn't really hold up well to salt water and sunscreen lotion. I bought my TB, so I could put my surfboards on it and take it to and from the beach. It is an SUV after all.
  • bobbiesbobbies Posts: 34
    Hi folks...My 02 Bravada is about due for fuel filter change. Will anyone tell me where it is and the best way to depressurize the system. I plan to remove the gas cap first. Is there anything else to depressurize? Any issues I should be aware of? Thankx
  • scottc454scottc454 Posts: 356
    I haven't done it, but I heard you can remove a fuse to the fuel pump. Then start it and run it until it uses up the pressurized fuel between the pump and the engine.

I don't know if I'd bother. You'll be getting fuel on yourself no matter what.
  • scottc454scottc454 Posts: 356

My two cents: The reason I opted for cloth is that leather doesn't really hold up well to salt water and sunscreen lotion.

Yeah but how does cloth hold up? Doesn't it soak up everything and stay wet? I guess maybe they have Scotchguard or something on them. With proper care, leather will hold up fine to that stuff. Also, these seats have some sort of super protective coating on them - nothing appears to soak into the actual leather, because they dry instantly when I wash them.

I bought my TB, so I could put my surfboards on it and take it to and from the beach. It is an SUV after all.

Some folks out there knock SUV's for having leather seats, saying that's a luxury item that's out of place on a real SUV. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. Leather is rugged, easily cleaned, and truly belongs in an SUV. What are the best hiking boots made out of? Leather!
         Run DMC named an album called "Tougher than Leather." I'm not sure "Tougher than Cloth" would have the same effect, nor would referring to Marines as "clothnecks."

Allright, I'm hereby finished promoting the benefits of leather seats.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Posts: 266
    You can find detailed instructions here.
    http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/rq.cfm
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    Going by my ol'88 S-10 out there in the garage with the red cloth seating surfaces on its bucket seats, the cloth still looks fine, after 15+ years no wear to show no holes or visible wear, but the sides that are made of vinyl are cracking and splitting. That's the way the leather seats are on most cars and SUVs or whatever- leather on the seating surfaces only and trimmed around the sides and backs with vinyl. I'd almost bet money the seats on the triplets are only leather on the seating surfaces too.

"With proper care, leather will hold up fine to that stuff." I thought the advantage was you don't have to do much to maintain it. I go over my cloth seats with a vacuum cleaner maybe twice a year. With leather I could be out there putting leather cleaner and conditioner stuff on the seats a couple of times a year. Not too sure I see the advantage there as far as maintenance goes.

But like I've said before, if the Trailblazers had the same type of leather seats as the Bravada, I'd go for those. Just personally I did not like the hardness of the Chevy seats in leather.
  • gator36gator36 Posts: 294
    As far as I know, you CANNOT remove a fuse to the fuel pump as the engine will not start. The proper way is to get a fuel pressure gauge that allows for the bleeding of pressure off. It dumps the fuel through a hose into a receptacle you provide. The Gauge screws into the fuel rail fitting provided for pressure readings and such. Even after bleeding the pressure, disconnecting the fuel lines will release a good amount of fuel.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Posts: 266
    That's the correct procedure according to the factory service manual, done it myself. Although technically you remove the fuel pump relay, not the fuse, same thing happens, the fuel pump won't energize when the ignition is switched on. tim
  • I have an '02 Trailblazer with the straight 6. My latest performance products catalog says that K&N has a polished aluminum kit that will replace the air box/filter. Looks pretty cool. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they smog legal in California (I live in the Sierras).

- WPK
  • The K&N Filtercharger and the Fuel Injection Perfrmance Kit (FIPK) are legal in CA. the other products are not. I use the filtercharger and I think it's well worth the money. Order on the Internet for the best price. I paid $50. I've seen them locally for $80. Performance is good.
    Some have posted here that they got better performance by modifying the box (removing baffles), but you have to be careful that you don't introduce warm air from the engine, or radiator into the intake. Doing this also will increase noise when accelerating.
  • dse1dse1 Posts: 22
    Just did this last week.

steps to depressurize:
    1. remove fuel cap
    2. remove fuel pump RELAY from fuse box (labeled on the top/inside of the box cover)
    3. start the car, and let the engine stall (mine only cranked), then let it crank a few more seconds
    4. remove the negative terminal from the battery
    5. replace the relay AND the gas cap

replace the fuel filter (it's directly in front of the fuel tank, towards the front of the car, on the driver's left)

6. reconnect the negative terminal

then if you trust your work, just turn the ignition to the run position (don't start it) for 10 secs, then back to off for a few seconds and it should be back to new....

just make sure to bring lots of towels for the fuel that's still in the pump and lines, it's not pressurized, but gravity still does it's thing...

easy 2-3 min job, I spent twice as long trying to find the relay they show in a diagram in the service manual - obviously an old photo, looks more like the PCM than the actual relay...
  • went to get gas in NJ currently cheaper then here in NY. Well at the station not only did the attendant spill gas all over my TB but a few days later I noticed the Service Eng. soon light on and guess what it was. The attendant never put the cap back on the tank. the light has since gone off . i am just warning all of you in states where you can not pump your own gas to just get out and look after the attendant is done . I will always do this now .