Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• wxman4wxman4 Posts: 53
    I had a 'no-start' problem with my 03 EXT V8. Occasionally I would turn the key and nothing would happen except for the dash lights coming on, no crank. I would continue turning key off to start maybe four or five times and then it would start and be fine. Eventually got bad enough that it happened at dealer. Replaced ignition switch and no more problems. Never related it to the gear shift, but it was funny how it would start, then not, then yes on second try or sometimes fifth of sixth.

Good Luck
  • kpp14kpp14 Posts: 62
    lurker01 n7don macman246 caflyfish envoyowner tblazed iexplore2000 ylab cincyman medolark ficuss gam2
    I am fascinated with this issue and the fact that no one can champion it. I’m no scientist mechanic and have learned a lot from the board, (thanks guys). So I e-mailed 7 pages of your candid comments on “clunking” to my dealer who has never had anyone with this problem. This is a large volume dealer in Toronto, numerous bays ect . The “clunk” in my truck is barely noticeable and I’m not complaining. Lots of speculation from the trany guy though. They’ve taken your comments up the ladder in GM in a non threatening way. If it ever comes back down the ladder I’ll post it here. I’ll bet they’ve got a fulltime donut eating guy locked up in a room somewhere reading this site…….. Actually it would be in their best interest to read it wouldn’t it?.

Poping And Cracking Noise, I can get the rear passenger door small window to pop and crack just by pushing on it.

baltychen sounds like you’ve got the infamous “engine roar”. Search this site on that one!

Ok, Who’s got the most snow so far? Not me for sure. And who has a good rip snorting slip sliding almost trashed my truck cause of that idiot story?
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    "the first 1/4 mile out of the garage was powerless from the engine. It looks like the truck reluctant to go and engine rev.s high."

Problems like you describe have been addressed with recalibrations especially on '02s. If you are still in warranty (otherwise they will charge you) you need to go to your dealer and have them reprogram the PCM with the latest versions. Listed below are some of the problems addressed:

calibration to correct cold start idle surge and hesitation

calibration to correct cold start/shift problems

new calibration to address complaints of fan noise

new calibration for improved fan control
    Here's something different for the Envoy owners that kinda like the TrailBlazer-style tail lights...

• n7donn7don Posts: 188
    "Ok, Who’s got the most snow so far? Not me for sure."

Response from east of Phoenix... zero and counting!

I'm sure our Canadian winter visitors would keep the folks back home informed if it did!
  • gmc02gmc02 Posts: 2
    First of all, I'd like to say thanks to you guys for respond to my message.
    Pepper50, The A/C is on when the engine is idling - than it would surge up and down until it stalls. When I drive the car with the A/C on, then it would cause a rough-running. But when I turn the A/C off, everything is normal.
    Discofever, would it be normal if the Throttle Housing is dirty with high carbon and oil build up? If so, is it because of bad gas or what else? I'm going to clean the throttle housing. the fuel filter on the Envoy, do you know where it might be? Also, where is the PVC vale? I'm not much of a mechanic. But I'm a handy guy.
    I'll keep you guys posted.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Posts: 273
    I have these tail lights on my '03 Envoy also. Would post a pic if I knew how.
  • See message 10937.
  • aldan93aldan93 Posts: 202
    I have side air bags, whats your issue?
    around 12" so far this year about 5-8" on the ground, its gonna melt by Tuesday, but by the end of the week looks like more Lake Effect!!!

Southtown of Buffalo NY!!
  • tblazed,

Who sells these lights, where can I pick up a Pair?
  • Sounds like the "Idle throttle Module" controls transmission, Symptoms: Engine revs high, loss or reduction of engine to transmission interchange.
    "Throttle Housing is dirty with high carbon and oil build up? "

These have the electronic throttle control [non-permissible content removed]'y, the throttle plate controls the amount of air-only at that point into the intake manifold, and the fuel is directly injected right at each cylinder intake port, well down the path from the throttle plate, I don't really see how fuel quality or anything else would cause a carbon buildup at the throttle plate.

"If so, is it because of bad gas or what else? "

You could have some injector clogging from fuel. Get a 20 oz bottle ( or 2-12 oz bottles) of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector or System Cleaner and run that through it, and try a different brand of gas known to have more than the minimum detergent additives (Chevron, Shell, etc) for a few tanks.

"I'm going to clean the throttle housing. the fuel filter on the Envoy, do you know where it might be?"

Located under the vehicle ahead of the fuel tank, under the L rear seat area. There is a special procedure to do that- search this board for details how to.

"Also, where is the PVC valve?"

There is no PCV "valve" per se in these 4.2s. There is a PCV tube that goes between the intake manifold and the engine block, and another air intake tube that goes from the air resonator to the valve cover, but there is no serviceable PCV valve.
    Do a search for "02 Envoy tail lights" on eBay.. you might find a few. (NOT an endorsement! Just one source of many I presume.)
  • My point was that if some people were bothered without having side-CURTAIN airbags. It seems to be the new standard in safety, and oddly the GM midsizers don't have them. What's more odd is the fact that the Vue has them.
  • kpp14kpp14 Posts: 62
    n7don, back on August 06 (120*f in your town?)you posted regarding the oil cooler. Do you have any words of wisdom on its usefulness now?

aldan93 I'm planing a trip to Rochester over the holiday. Does the Buffalo snow lake effect get over there to?.... I'm actually working on a project that would have a high speed, car carrying ferry go between Toronto and Rochester but right now the cities are too busy trashing each other.
  • pepper50pepper50 Posts: 195
    rctennis wrote:
    My point was that if some people were bothered without having side-CURTAIN airbags. It seems to be the new standard in safety, and oddly the GM midsizers don't have them.

Nope, people don't seem to be bothered.
  • Clunk, Clunk,

The other day I stopped on an incline with nose down and noticed more severe clunking tban ever before on level ground. Also, on another occaision when I expected some clunking, I pressed the brake harder than what was necessary to keep the vehicle from rolling forward - result- no clunk. Could it be that what we are experiencing is a slight rotation of the rear axle relieving friction somewhere in the drive train? I really would like to understand this, but I will not obsess over it. My Enovy runs too damn good to get overly excited about it at this point.

I will sure be interested in what you hear from your dealer.
    expect snow in rochester!! it gonna melt this week but expect it for the weekend!!!!
  • After a relatively trouble free first two years, my '02 TB just turned 30k miles and suddenly a bunch of problems have cropped up. Front pass side window stopped working, was fixed by dealer.
      On the same visit they failed to repair a problem I have with the Service 4wd warning light on the dash coming on about every other time I drove. When the warning light was on, the indicator light for 2wd, auto 4wd,... was out. Dealer replaced a switch, but problem wasn't fixed.
      Have some other problems but will list them on a seperate post to avoid clutter.