Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    agentelevenagenteleven Member Posts: 95
    hardhawk... how did you turn off the memory feature of the mirrors?

I don't think my TB LTZ DIC has a setting to let me do that.
  • Options
    davyboydavyboy Member Posts: 1
    I am just wondering....Is anyone out there having intermittent problems with the 4wd system. I have an Envoy SLT and when I have it in 2HI sometimes I will feel a loss of power and look down to see that my Auto 4wd has engaged while still in 2wd mode. Up until today it was very rare that it happened but on the way to work it happened 4 or 5 times while going 80 mph. If anyone has had this problem and had it fixed can they let me know what the fix was. I hate taking my truck in and getting the stupid response of "Can't duplicate customer concern".

I also have the squeal coming from the front end. If someone has had this problem and knows the fix let me know.
  • Options
    captinroncaptinron Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when the EXT will be at dealers? I did see someone say April. Can any one else confirm
  • Options
    cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    I just checked the Westin site and wasn't able to find a part number for the Bull/Safari Bar. Either the site I saw it for sale at was wrong, or Westin just hasn't updated their site yet. I sent Westin an email. We'll see what their answer is.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    From what I was told, production will start slowly in the end of March/start of April, with them appearing at dealers in mid or late April.
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    A couple folks talked about bug shields above. The Envoy differs from the other two triplets in that it has a strip of chrome (or fake chrome-plastic)along the edge of the center section of the hood. Does this chrome present any problem when installing a bugshield? Obviously the bugshield (unless clear) will hide that strip of chrome, but is there any mounting problem? Have you Envoy owners put one on?
  • Options
    cntmenncntmenn Member Posts: 1
    What type of gas mileage are people getting with the 2002 envoy. sticker states 15-21. I'm seeing 13 city and 15 highway.
  • Options
    johnhenry3johnhenry3 Member Posts: 9
    A previous post was correct. That little grill up by your ear is a temp sensor for the auto climate control. The buzzing you hear occasionally is actually a fan that draws cabin air across the sensor itself. In my 2000 Trailblazer you can pop off the grill and see the fan.

I never noticed the buzzing until somebody noticed it. No big deal...the whole window down issue is a pain when your in automatic.
  • Options
    2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    I got 18mpg on the first tank (~50/50 Hwy & City). My second tank is about 14mpg (all city). No worse than my '98 Bravada was. These things aren't meant to be economy cars.
  • Options
    baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    Thanks for #4065 message. I did follow the manual but I never can REALLY turned them off cuz it only good for one time only. When I re-start the engine next time, the DTRL come back again.
  • Options
    baltychenbaltychen Member Posts: 50
    I got my Bug Deflector from GM dealer for my TB LS 4X4. Only cost me $50.00. Installation is very easy. 10 minutes job.
  • Options
    giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    After reading the suggestions earlier in this forum concerning how to pipe the optional DVD player's audio through the factory radio, I decided to give the FM transmitters a whirl. The two easiest ones to locate locally was Radio Shack's 12-02051 that's on sale for $19.99 and the SF120 Sound Feeder at Best Buy for $19.99 also. Here's the differences between the two.
    The Radio Shack model has 4 preset stations to choose from, the Best Buy model has an analog dial to vary the station within certain blocks of channels selectable via a toggle switch. While the Radio Shack model sounds like a clear winner in this department, I have a radio station broadcasting locally on one of the presets and the same station bleeds into the adjacent second channel, therefore the Radio Shack model only has two channels available for me due to my locality.
    Next up is the cords. The Radio Shack Model has an insane amount of cord for the head phone jack, while the Best Buy model has the perfect length of cord to slip the whole unit into the overhead compartment directly in front of the DVD console. The Radio Shack model will fit into the compartment it just takes up more space. The antennas are different between them. The Radio Shack model just has an extra wire sticking out of the unit, versus the Best Buy model that has a metal telescopic antenna that fully extended still easily fits into the overhead compartment.
    My last judgment is very subjective, but my wife and I are in agreement with our decision, and I think you'll likely have the same findings. I preset both transmitters into my radio right next to each other, and plugged both units in and turned them both on. I set the wired headphone volume on the DVD player and set the radio's volume. Then playing Men in Black and Starship Troopers I switched between the two transmitters. What I found was that the Best Buy unit passed the Bass frequencies better than the Radio Shack unit did. Explosions and bass material in the soundtrack just had a little more punch with the Best Buy unit.
    Ultimately I decided to keep the Best Buy unit and return the Radio Shack unit over this sonic difference. Like I said all this is just my opinion, so should you have the capability I would demo both units for yourself to see which one you like best.
    Outside of all this, the best method would be to pipe the DVD audio into the radio head unit via the aux in, but this method would be difficult, requiring some disassembly, and I'm not sure it would even work correctly whereas the FM transmitters are easy provided your local radio stations are not using the bandwidth necessary for these to work, and probably cheaper compared to having a professional wire it. If anyone has any questions please fire away. Hope this helps someone, otherwise I apologize for the long post.
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Agenteleven:

The memory mirrors are controlled by the same modules as the memory seat. So, on the DIC if you turn off the memory seat recall setting, you also turn off the memory mirrors. SInce I am the primary driver of my Envoy, I don't need the memory seat feature either. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    On the Macneil version, the same bug/stone guard is used for the Bravada/Envoy, but the Envoy just has different mounting instructions. I really like the way it looks. It's cut perfect to match the curves of the vehicle and is a nice deep smoke color. Mounts in about 10min as well. I'll take some pics of it mounted when I get a chance.
  • Options
    njtblzrnjtblzr Member Posts: 12
    I had the same problem with my TB LT going into A4WD at highway speeds. For me the Service 4WD light also came on at the same time. There is a TSB and a re-designed switch to correct this so you should not have a problem getting it fixed.

I don't have the squeal so I can not help you with that problem, sorry.
  • Options
    iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question for you all. I noticed last night while taking a little late night trip to Detroit and back that there seems to be this fluctuation in my lights while driving?

It seems as if something is cycling off/on and causing this intermittent drain which then causes the headlights to dim and then return to brightness again? My total commute was approximately 210 miles so I monitored the volt-gage and listened for anything out of the ordinary and didn 't notice anything. Has anyone else out there noticed this type of change? I have driven my Envoy on the freeway on numerous occasions, but maybe I wasn't paying attention? The lights fluctuating makes things seem as if you flashing to pass (using your brights and then back to lows again) someone.

Any insight that you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • Options
    Does the Macneil bugshield mount with screws into pre-existing holes or with 3M tape? Looking forward to your photos.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    It has four plastic square inserts that match the square holes in the front underhood area. You then line up the bugshield with the holes, put a washer over the self tapping screws and screw them in. I also removed the center 3m tape mount, even though it's not called for in the directions. It made perfect contact though, so I just did it for the added strength.
  • Options
    bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Sick of your Dealership's Crappy Service? Get back at them!

Get one of these and apply it next to the dealership name tag:

• Options
    johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    Here's the page I refered to in a previous post. This was added in my owners manual package as a loose page, along with 3 other pages.

TITLE: Supplement to the 2002 GMC Envoy, Chrvrolet TrailBlazer and Oldsmobile Brevada Owner's Manual

CONTENTS:
    This information supplements the "Luggage Carrier" portion located in Section 2 in your owner's manual.

When the luggage carrier is not in use, place the cross rails at the following positions for wind noise reduction. Place one cross rail at the rear most point of the vehicle and the other cross rail above the opening of the rear door.

Part No. 15079569 (c) Copyright General Motors Corporation 2000, All Rights Reserved
  • Options
    bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    As mentioned, the dealer will replace the 4WD switch to correct the problem of the 4WD light showing one mode, while the switch is in another.

I had a squeak too... for some folks it meant replacing a front seal -- for me it was a defective gear actuator -- the bearings had gone dry, causing the squeal. They replaced the actuator under warranty (was told it was a $700 repair job if not under warranty!). Scroll back thru the messages for the TAC# and text of my service order.
  • Options
    johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    I have an appt to get my axle seal replaced - part came in this week. Beyond this, I'm very happy with my vehicle.

Here's my list since I purchased my 2002 TB LT, May 2001 - in newest to oldest problems:
    Axle seal needs replacement. - appt scheduled.
    Rear washer will not operating, wipers work - more diagnositics needed to determine problem (when axle seal work is being done.)
    Steering assembly replaced - leak in unit ran all of the power steering fluid out. (Aug 2001)
    Hood and roof repainted due to surface defects - paint started flaking as if a chemical was splashed on the finish. (June 2001)
    OnStar would not function after intial setup (May 2001) - required hardware & updated software install.
  • Options
    I grabbed my camera as the sun was going down and took a few pics that you can check out here: http://communities.msn.com/cmack/2002oldsmobilebravada.msnw?Page=Last

If you want a better quality pic, let me know and I'll either email you a full size or upload a print quality pic. MSN Communities compresses and resizes all of the photos you upload.
  • Options
    allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    If your window washer tank is less than half full no fluid gets to the back washer. That's how you know it's getting low.

Allen
  • Options
    isutherlandisutherland Member Posts: 6
    Being in Canada, I suspect the legal differences are adjusted by computer programming. As indicated by a previous post, we in Canada are legally obliged to have the DRS lights on with no option to turn them off. I don't think GM devised different systems for the 2 counties, likley just programmimg differences. If you can find the specs and programming tools you can probably have them programmed any way you want. I for one, think the value of others seeing my 170 HP comming at them is a plus. Many times I have almost pulled out in front of an oncomming car because I did not see it as a moving vehicle...if all cars moving have the lights on then they are significanly more obvious. I for one think everyone should have the DSR system on all the time....someone tell me the downside. The alternator has no problem keeping up with the load.
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    The downside to daytime running lights is that drivers can get used to seeing them all the time then when a pedestrian or bicyclist comes along - BOOM!

Just a theory, but I have concerns about something that allows drivers to get away with paying less attention.

There is upside in that you won't ever have to worry about people driving without headlights during rain, fog, or during twilight hours. I don't understand why some people insist on waiting until every last photon of sunlight is gone before they turn their lights on.
  • Options
    Have any of you installed the plastic molded splash guards from Husky on your triplet? Here's a photo:

http://www.truckstuffusa.com/cusmolmudgua1.html

Secondly, I've been looking for vinyl floor mats and a rear cargo mat that don't have the raised edge around it. We don't have much snow/ice here. Especially in the rear cargo area I have to slide some heavy equipment in occasionally and that lip would gradually get torn up. Any suggestion of a brand that doesn't have the lip? Thanks.

P.S.--cmack, nice photos of your indigo Bravada and bugshield.

• Options
    malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Some people find the DRL distracting and as a potential cause for running over a pedestrian. HOWEVER, I wonder how many of those people drive while talking on the cell phone......now there is an issue, DRL not an issue really. Just my opinion as an American.
  • Options
    While were on the subject of DRL's. Does anyone know how to turn off the DRL's and leave the auto headlight function on? I haven't tried, but the manual seems to state that you can only disable both.
  • Options
    zecgeotzzecgeotz Member Posts: 22
    To: ARCHDUKERIZZO

Thanks for answering. I saw the picture. What is difference between "black" and "clear" versions?

On Mud Flaps, do you have the gmpartsdirect part number? What do they look like?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    archdukerizzoarchdukerizzo Member Posts: 35
    Here are the part numbers for the splash guards:
    12497610 front
    12497611 rear
    They look just like the ones for the Envoy (search older messages, you'll find pics of them) but say Bravada instead of GMC.

I'm guessing the black step boards are completely black. I wanted the clear ones to match the chrome wheels that came with the 1SC package.

I'll post some pics of my Bravada sunday. I'm putting the flaps and boards on tomorrow. I'm also going to order a bug deflector and ventvisors off of www.macneil.com. They look nice and don't require tape.
  • Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    On my Trailblazer LTZ it's habit for me to press the entry light button four times thus shutting off the DRL's.

Personally, I hate DRL's and have them disabled 100% of the time on my GTP and Alero.

Come spring, I'll dig into the Trailblazer and find the switch to remove. On my other two it was pretty simple.

tim
  • Options
    alexm2341alexm2341 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the $2002 rebate has been extended or if there are going to be any other rebate offers from GM on the TrailBlazer? If you have info email me at alexm234@stx.rr.com. Thanks
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    From what I was told, it is now a $1,500 rebate on all trucks & SUV's or your choice of financing. 0.0% for 36 months, 2.9% for 48 months, and 3.9% for 60 months.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    of Motor Trend, and I read that the Bravada will become part of Cadillac in MY 2004, not Buick, so they can offer a small SUV (small as compared to the Escalade)...a question about Bravada, please.. how does the rear air suspension hold up as compared to the other two vehicles with springs??? I ask in terms of moderate to long term maintenance...I remember reading a post about a 90s model Infiniti Q45t, with air suspension, and when the owner had to replace/repair the suspension, the cost was $10,000.00, over 25% of the cost of the car at that time...while I realize that no one may have had their Bravada that long yet, does anyone have an idea of the future of that suspension???.. also, is the Bravada supposed to be more luxurious than TB/Envoy, or identical except for suspension???...thanks for the thoughts...
  • Options
    gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Just picked up my wifes new TrailBlazer. (Yesterday)
    Both of us are very happy. Got the thing for
    $200 over Factory Invoice before the 2002 rebate.
    Fleet sales are great...
  • Options
    alexm2341alexm2341 Member Posts: 3
    Can you tell me where you got your info from and can you tell me for how long this incentive will last. I plan to buy in late March early April.
  • Options
    Here's a link to GM's new incentive news:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/020301/automakers_incentives_1.html

Here's a summary:

GM, the world's biggest automaker, had allowed its previous zero-percent financing plan to expire two months ago. Ford has continued to offer zero percent financing.

The new GM program gives customers a choice of $2,002 in cash or loan finance rates of zero percent for 36 months, 2.9 percent for 48 months or 3.9 percent for 60 months on most new 2002 Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Buick and Oldsmobile vehicles through the end of March.

Customers will have the choice of $1,500 cash or the cut-rate finance terms on Chevrolet Trailblazer, Silverado Extended Cab and Crew Cab, Suburban and Tahoe; GMC Envoy, Sierra Extended Cab and Crew cab, Yukon and Yukon XL.

Cadillac, Saturn, Saab, Hummer, Chevrolet Corvette, GMC Envoy XL and all 2003 models are excluded from the new GM financing offer.

• Options
    pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Having owned reliable GM products for over 30 years, IMHO it takes them 2 years to work the bugs out. They can do hundreds of TSBs to fix problems but sometimes a major component needs improvement and that may not happen until a model change.
  • Options
    kandjwkandjw Member Posts: 1
    We picked up our new Envoy on Thursday and have our first question for the forum. Every SLT within reasonable dealer trade distance had running boards which we did not want. Bottom line, we took one with running boards to get the deal done and get the rebate before it expired. Good news is that the boards come right off with 6 bolts per side. The dealer did that for us and stuck 'em in the back. Now they are in our basement - I don't like 'em there.

My question - is there kind of a standard way for me to turn these into a little bit of cash? The parts department at my dealership (small town dealer without even a body shop) declined my offer to sell them a discount from whatever their regular parts cost is. Before launching into a survey of the "high volume" (low service) dealers around here or exploring Ebay I thought I would try this forum for suggestions.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer. Gosh are those things heavy!
  • Options
    jpk23jpk23 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone.....proud owner of a 2002 Bravada. Have had it about a month and love this truck. I am interested in adding some things to it, but want to see what things look like before I buy them. Any one out there that has bought running boards, grill guards, tail light covers, etc...please post pictures of their truck or please give web sites that may show the product on the truck itself. I just bought and installed the MacNeil weather tech stone and bugdeflector II and it looks sweet especially with the stone white paint job. Thanks........
  • Options
    dyfinedyfine Member Posts: 11
    I just had my oil changed for the first time - prior to the Oil Life Indicator/Monitor coming on. I followed the directions in the owner's manual to re-set the indicator but the indicator did not flash, as the manual says it will, to show that it was reset. Does anyone know if this is due to the fact that I had the oil changed prior to the indicator coming on or is there something wrong? Thanks!
  • Options
    richardcoulsonrichardcoulson Member Posts: 88
    Does the Bravada also have part-time and part-time low or is all wheel drive the only option?
  • Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    I'm 99.9% sure you'll find the true AWD option for the Bravada is gone. No more viscous clutch like there used to be.

Now the drive train is basically the same as the Envoy and Trailblazer. It's just a full time setting for A4WD. No low options.

tim
  • Options
    Is there a 2 wheel drive option on the a4wd bravada? I don't remember seeing a selector switch when I looked at one.
  • Options
    Isn't not having part time hi and lo limiting for off road and snow use? I always use part time hi in snow. In most the a4wd cars I have been in, by the time power shifts to the front wheels, the rear end is already sliding out to the side. Oldmobile states that transfer to the front occurs in one quarter of a second. A lot can happen in one quarter of a second. Has anyone experienced this in their Bravada?
  • Options
    fletch45fletch45 Member Posts: 72
    There is a slight delay between when the back tires spin, and when the front takes ahold on my Trailblazer. It isn't long, maybe 1/2 second, but it IS long enough for the rear wheels to spin-up and kick the back to the side some (just as you thought). It is irritating when leaving stop signs in town (every spin is followed by a slight jerk, when the front takes ahold), and I believe it could possibly cause some control problems on the road. The dealer said they tried two others off the lot, and they were the same (thus, no malfunction, and no repair). My 2000 Silverado A4wd was so smooth, you could barely tell it was not locked in...sure wish this one worked the same way.

Someone else on this board had the same complaint awhile back , so I am sure this is not isolated. I intend to call Chevrolet customer service to see if this could be addressed in the future, and hopefully others that notice this will do the same. The way it is now, I will use the 4wd lock if it is very slick.
    jim f
  • Options
    noller2gnoller2g Member Posts: 60
    I had air springs on my 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII. They had 70,000 miles and 5 years on them with no problem.

If you go to the dealer for repairs, get out your checkbook.

Or you can get new or rebuilt bags from www.bagmasters.com or other wholesalers and replace them yourself. All parts are easy to replace. Much easier than a front strut.

The Bravada has a 5 year/60K warranty, so you ought not to worry for a long time. After that, aftermarket folks will have replacement parts, as well as your local junk yard.

Invest in a good repair manual, jack, jack stands, and some common hand tools and you will save money and know more about your car as well.

Wichita Greg
    02 Bravada
  • Options
    The Smarttrak AWD system and Autotrac are totally different. The only similarity between A4WD and Smarttrak AWD is that both are now reactive systems with primary power transfering from rear to front. Smarttrak has a fully electronically engaged transfer case (electric motor engages multiple gears to control torque split) vs. standard high/lo transfer case in Autotrac. When Smarttrak senses slippage at individual wheels it automatically reacts in 1/4 sec by transferring just enough power to maintain constant rpm at all wheels (torque split varies all the way up to 20/80 rear front). Autotrac when in A4WD mode reacts when it senses slippage by manually activating the 4WD HI mode (about 3 seconds) and feeds a constant 50/50 torque split with no variation. I'll let you guess which is better for on-road driving. The Smarttrak system also throws in a standard locker with auto sensers that automatically engages when the rpm's for the rear wheels differs by 100rpm's or more at less than 20mph. Autotrac's optional locker is manually engaged by the user. Don't get me wrong about Autotrac, it's a good system... and most definitely wins out in off-road conditions due to the lo-range transfer case. I just don't like it when people say that Smarttrak is the same as Autotrac A4WD, because they're not even close! BTW Smarttrak was designed by New Venture Gear, a joint venture between DC and GM... same people who manufacture Hummer 4WD and Jeep. Now Smarttrak is being manufactured by Borg Warner.
  • Options
    The delay in Autotrac A4WD is normal. Look at my explanation above. It's not a flaw in the system... It can take up to 3 seconds to engage, same as 4WD Hi. It just senses the slippage and activates 4WD Hi for you. As far as it being jerky, that is somewhat normal as well, since it throws it right up to a 50/50 torque split. Personally, if I had the Autotrac, I would manually engage the 4WD Hi when it's slippery out. Too many variables otherwise.