Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• isptechisptech Posts: 2
    I have a 03 Trailblazer that had the exact same noise. I sounded like a bomb ticking waiting to explode. It did that for about 1 month. Yesterday the
    Fan clutch went bad, and the ticking noise went away. If the fan clutch starts
    causing you problems, the engine will sound really loud. I have heard it described as like driving a school bus. Mine seems ok after getting up to 60 mph. The fan clutch repair was quoted to me at $575 at one dealership and $442 at another.

I would definitely get that fixed under warranty

mine is out of warranty :(

good luck..
  • auto9999auto9999 Posts: 86
    A car dealer (Carmax.com) is showing a 2006 TrailBlazer available for sale with a picture. It has a new front grill, 4.2 liter I6 engine output raised from 275 Torque@3600rpm 275 Horsepower@6000rpm to 277 Torque@4800rpm 291 Horsepower@6000rpm, etc. Check it out.
  • wholtzwholtz Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Envoy and the exterior temp was erratic. I went to the parts Dept at the GM dealer and the parts person printed out the location of the sensor and $16.00 and 20 minutes later I installed the sensor. The sensor is located in front of the radiator. You have to remove some sheet metal in front of the radiator and the sensor is easy to see and remove and replace.
  • Using the TSB information provided by Trailblazed, I took the 04 TB to the dealer for another go at fixing the slow cool down problem I have been trying to get the dealer to fix since last summer.

A new fan clutch was installed per the TSB and some reprograming was done and the problem was fixed.

I used to drive nine stop-and-go blocks to get out of downtown to the freeway and had little cooling until running at a steady speed. Now the A/C starts to cool down as I leave the parking lot and keeps getting cooler. No more compressor shutdown at each stoplight and warm air blowing.

There may be more fan noise but who can hear it over the max cool setting you need to use in the 97F temps in houston.

Bayner 66
    Spring, TX
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Thats great :shades:
  • ross1962ross1962 Posts: 229
    Amid all of the discussion regarding sub-standard A/C and overheating on hot days, I'm pleased to say that on a trip over this past weekend in 105+ degree weather, my '02 TB with the 4.2L I-6 ran like a top, stayed cool under the hood (never over 212 deg.) and cool in the cockpit both while driving hard up the mountains and stuck in traffic with a full load of people, luggage and other gear.
  • immoeimmoe Posts: 15
    Upon startup of the vehicle the brakes sometimes fade to the floor.The brakes on my 02 SLT were much better even during driving. The dealer has the vehicle and has contacted GM tech support but so far no fix. Has anyone else had such a problem? Other than the brakes the Denali is a far superior vehicle. Gas consumption is similar to the i-6, 15.2 around town.
  • kagz71kagz71 Posts: 12
    I too have complained to my GMC Dealer about the brakes, it is my wife's, but she complained to me that the brake pedal felt odd. SO, the next day I drove it and there was a problem, just as you described. So I took our $41,610 Envoy Denali with 890 miles on it to the dealer and told them I didn't want it back til the brake pedal worked right. They called me after two days and said it was fixed. They tried to tell me that we must just be depressing the brake pedal too hard and said they "adjusted" the brakes and replaced the brake pedal and that "they were able to get it covered under warrantee " Boy did I get HOT, needless to say I will just be taking the Envoy to the Chevy garage where I take my Tahoe!
  • My wife and I just drove home our new 2005 Trailblazer EXT LT 4x5 (v8) yesterday from the dealer. Our dealer is about 30 miles from home, so we were able to get some driving in. On the highway when I reached 60+ mph - you could notice a vibration. Now granted the highways in Michigan are not the best - I was still disappointed with how noticable it was.

My question is - has anyone else noticed this??

It came with "Coninental Contitrac" tires, and I have read some tire reviews that the tires may be the cause??

I don't want to jump the gun, and run right back to the dealer and say I have a problem, but at same time I'm not sure if it isn't one.

It only had 11 miles on the odom at delivery, does the suspension take some time to break in?

This is our first SUV, and we love the Trailblazer, just looking for some helpful insight.

Thanks!

Todd
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Ditto for us. I have the issue with the A/C delay very occasionally, but since I'm aware of it and what causes it I don't give it much thought. Never any problem with overheating even in 120+ degree weather on the Colorado River/Mojave Desert in summer. It pulls the boat better than my Suburban ever did, but the biggest difference is in the ride, which is far superior. My brother-in-law's Tahoe rides like a buckboard compared to it, he does have 20" wheels and low profile tires. Sometimes the suspension is a little soft, but it firms up quickly under load. We had a bad spinout on the interstate last year, which in my opinion was going to cause us to rollover, but it stayed upright and under control. My original warranty is expiring next month, I'm going to extend for 24mo/24K miles.
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Posts: 273
    Where is the vibration noticed? Seats, accelerator pedal, steering wheel, etc?

Have read some problems with the tires. A road force balance will eliminate any wheel tire problems.

Curious why you did not notice it when test driving before purchase?
  • jr222jr222 Posts: 15
    I've had some of the A/C problems with my '03 Bravada. It has always been a little quirky in hot weather, failing to kick in for several minutes after startup. Occasionally also it wouldn't cool at all and you had to shut down the engine and restart to get it working again.
    Finally, it died, no cooling at all, and the fan wouldn't blow even when switched to the highest setting. The dealer made some repairs which got it working again, but there is still an unusual delay until the cool air starts coming. And on one occasion since the repair it the a/c failed to come on, requiring me to restart the engine.

There is nothing wrong with compressor or fan, but glitches somewhere in the chain of sensors, relays and computers that control the blooming thing. I long for the days when you could just set your A/C "Max" and have it blast. On the upside, I've never had any overheating with my Bravada, even while towing a 4800lbs boat & trailer.
  • Pretty much all the above...can feel slight vibration in seat, steering wheel.

I've never heard of a "road force balance" - I take it need to take back to gm?

As for why we didn't notice, we had test driven 3 other Trailblazers, 2 of them on the highway before deciding this one that had the amenities we wanted. And of course never took this one out on the highway.
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 30
    Go back to page 1699 thread # 16982 "Ascender vibration" Same exact vehicle as yours...I really hope it is the tires. Keep us posted.
  • raleighraleigh Posts: 98
    Tblazed - Thanks for the post. Where did you get your bushings? I have been unable to locate them even with a Google search.
  • raleighraleigh Posts: 98
    I wash the engines in my vehicles all the time using a good degreaser. The newer engines are a lot more water compatible than the older ones used to be. Still, I wouldn't just blast a hose in the engine compartment. Use a light spray and watch what you're hitting and you should be fine. It's also a good idea to start it up right afterwards and let it idle a bit to cook off any water that might tend to seep in where it's not wanted.
  • tblazedtblazed Posts: 945
    Go to www.prothane.com and click on "Where to Buy" in the upper right hand corner. Surely there is a dealer listed that can get them for you. Or call Prothane 1-888-PROTHANE and ask where to buy.
  • Thanks for the feedback wholtz. I'll give it a try. :)
  • 01_hoe01_hoe Posts: 273
    Road force balancing will identify any wheel or tire that is defective or out of round.
    Some of the larger dealerships have them in house, but the equipment costs about 10K, so availability is scattered. The Hunter GSP 9700 equipment is used.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/index.htm

Could also be from the TB just sitting on the lot for a long time and flat spots developing on the tires. Usually this goes away after driving for a while. Could be drive shaft also, or ???

Several years ago I made the mistake of driving two other new vehicles before choosing a third vehicle that I did not drive before purchase. It was a big mistake. Wind noise was unbearable and dealer shrugged it off. I now drive anything before I buy,
    I also won't buy a vehicle with dealer assurance of fixing a problem relating to vibrations or major mechanical issues. I make the dealer fix before leaving the lot or paying for it.
  • tink1tink1 Posts: 3
    I have my trailblazer registered on the GM Link but I haven't received any recall notices yet.
    I know my car is one that must have a recall. I have replaced the lights bulbs like 2 or 3 times and all of a sudden they stop working. I've taken my car to the agency twice and told them of the problem. The first time they didn't do anything and I didn't check it when I picked it up. The second time one of the service managers told me they were going to replace the whole casing. I picked it up and it was ok. The following day one of the light bulbs was out again. I think they are playing games with me and only replacing the sockets.