Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,131
    Keep us posted on your progress with the dealership, kittymom. If we can be of any assistance, we can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the lasdt 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • kdh12389kdh12389 Posts: 5
    Since I have been in contact with customer service with no results I have began spreading the word about these cars and their problems. I feel everyone on here should do the same. It is so messed up that I have an 06 SS sitting outside as a yard ornament that costs me over $13,000 which I'm still paying payments on that I feel is not my responsibility to fix since so many others are having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!! Maybe once the word is out and Chevrolet starts losing money on these cars they will fix the problem!
  • rainsmomrainsmom Posts: 1
    Welp, I guess the inevitable happened to me tonight! Rolling along with my daughter and my dog and all of a sudden the car shakes and the reduced engine power light comes on! I am concerned because it is cold, dark and we were not close to home! I have a used car (2008) that I've only had
    a little over a year so, I am not happy! We made it home okay...but this is definitely an inconvenience!
    rainsmom,
    We're glad to hear that you made it home safely. Let us know if you're planning on working with a dealership to get this checked into at all as we're available to assist. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • My name is Junita Gaither I am a resident of Lancaster SC. I have had my 2009 Impala for one year and mine started with the "service traction control, engine power reduced".. It happened about 3 months ago but never came back on until last friday. I had my car looked by my uncle but he advised me to contact my dealer. I contacted Lancaster Motor Company and they told me I had to pay to have it looked at so I made an appointment for Saturday. .The problem is I am currently LAYING IN THE HOSPITAL because my car SHUT OFF ON ME.. THE WHEEL STARTED SHAKING I COULDN'T STOP. I WENT DOWN AN EMBANKMENT AND HIT A TREE..I AM FINE EXCEPT FOR CHEST AND HEAD INJURIES BUT MY FRIEND HAD A PANIC ATTACK AND IS IN MUCH MORE PAIN.. . If only I would have lolooked into this problem I could have had it traded in. Good thing God was on our side because we could have been KILLED today...
    **NEXT STEP...Please help me with the contact information because I will take this further..If any of you would like my contact information I will provide it because we have to work together to get this taken care of by GM..I COULD HAVE LOST MY LIFE..LET'S TAKE A STAND AGAINST THEM BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL OPERATING A HAZARD..THATIS NOT RIGHT.
    msgaither1,
    We're so very sorry about this incident. Have you contacted the Customer Assistance Center yet (800-222-1020)? We can also be reached via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Kindest regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • roni8roni8 Posts: 1
    I too have started having this issue. Yesterday on my way to work, my 2008 Chevrolet Impala started slowing down and the REDUCED ENGINE POWER and SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL messages displayed. I then felt my rear tires spinning or something. I was afraid and didn't want to get on the highway so, I turned around and went back home. I dropped my car off at a GM dealer this morning and about an hour later they called me saying they would have to replace my accelerator pedal and rebuild the wire harness. The diagnostic they performed was $95 and the repairs they want to do is $910. After reading so many people having this same issue, it is unbelievable to me that there has not been a recall. We should not be responsible for this repair cost. I have not decided what I am going to do. I cannot afford $1000 car repair. I will be picking my car up in the morning and bringing it back home. I have no intentions of buying another GM car in the future if this is how they treat their customers.
    roni8,
    Are you already in touch with our Customer Assistance Center on this? If you would like for us to check into this further, please don't hesitate to email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• Take it to another dealer. I had mine fixed for $200 total at my local dealer. If you search on this form, you will find a link on how to repair it yourself. The part is about $100 and is a real easy fix. I discovered this after I had my car repaired. Since I had the accelerator pedal replaced, I have not had any problems with this issue.
  • pbar40pbar40 Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen to my 2006 Chevrolet Impala last week The problem is with the Throttle Body, it needs to be replaced. If you continue to drive it with the engine power reduced message on it will eventially shut off the motor, and you will have to wait a few minutes before it will start. It was not very hard to replace and only took my mechanic about an hour to fix. The part cost me about $299.00 and the labor was $75.00 When I had the car tested when the engine light came on, the code was P0121 (Throttle Body Sensor) I hope this helps...
  • This is where you start, If all of the forum users here start this process GM will have no other options but to investigate

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    VERY good idea. The reps who respond here can only report what they're seeing in our forums - they can't force an investigation or recall. Reporting the problem to the NHTSA is the best way to ensure that all similar complaints are in the same place.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have contacted an attorney about this issue so they should be in contact with someone from GM thank you
  • kadurrokadurro Posts: 3
    I have a 2009 Chevrolet Impala and my car did the same thing last night on the way home. Without any warning my engine reduced speed and the dash said traction sensor and engine reducing speed. Scared me to death and thankful I wasn't on a frwy and on the feeder. After reading the form, I'm scared to drive the car and now wondering how I'm going to afford to get this fixed which should have been recalled. Contacted dealer and wasn't much help.
    kadurro,
    We're sorry that you are not feeling safe in your Impala. If you would like for us to look into this further, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    My 2009 Impala is in the shop now for the same reason, engine reduced speed while driving and service light came on saying CHECK TRACTION CONTROL. Mechanic said they have to replaced the throddle body and do some electrical and refiguring idle, costing me $667.47. Problem is I don't have the money and can't keep driving the car because it's a crap shoot if the engine is going to stop completely while I'm driving and then have no control of the car and end up dead... I called Chevrolet and the dealer, all I hear is not on a recall and sorry.
    I have the same problem with my 2009 Impala and is in the shop now, they are replacing the throddle body. I've contacted the dealer, chevrolet and sent an email to "sarah" from GM that replies back to complaints. Basically my problem and sorry. I am trying to figure out how I am going to pay this $667.47 mechanic bill... I sure don't see Obama bailing me out on something that should be been recalled alongtime ago. I am not taking chances with my life or passengers in the car and have to get it repaired, my only source of transportation and now on foot. Missed one day of work, got family member to take me to work, hopefully my car will be ready today.
  • quiwiqquiwiq Posts: 1
    I a 2006 Impala and the throttle body went out while I was driving I took it to the dealership to see what was wrong with it I had to replace and is still registering same thing the check engine light still coming onand the engine power reduced fine still comes on and still slow down the carand I know of other people who had the same problem Chevy really need to look into a recall.
    Let us know if we can check into this further at all, quiwiq. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, mileage, and a summary of the situation).
  • I got the check traction control, reduced engine power message last Thursday. When I called the dealer, they told me that by stopping the car the computer would reset. It did, but the problem came back the Monday after and just got worse. I finally took it to the dealer on Tuesday, total cost $537. Seeing that this looks like it is an Impala problem, I also feel that GM should have issued a recall. This is dangerous. Next time, I will go with a car that has a longer warranty period.
    nicky_177,

We're sorry that you encountered this issue as well. How is everything running after the repairs?

• kmmckmmc Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I purchased my 09 impala from a dealership with 16000 km (still under warranty). After about 2 months trouble free I too had trac,engine power reduced. I took it in to the dealer and they knew the problem before I even opened my mouth to tell the symptoms. They replaced the throttle body under warranty! Been happy with the car since other than having gone thru two sets of brakes and rotors in under 100000kms(60000mls). Guess what it came back! I now have 103405km and it cost me $100.00 for the dealer to tell me I now need to replace my throttle positioning sensor. About $500-. Starting to bum me out. I had a 2000 alero with the 6 cyl and had no trouble other than the head gasket which I was told gm had used a crap gasket. Any way I liked that car but this one not so much. I got on this page to find out why my heater,ac fan is randomly working.
  • I have a 2010 impala. I got the message last year and I got it fix a the dealership and today pop back up again. Is it still under there warranty. It cost me 500 last April. I refuse to have to pay for that again
  • Don't know, I only drove it for a few miles, it is in the body shop for something else right now but I am a bit worried, by reading other messages, many are saying that this problem reoccurs.
    Good morning stewart13,
    We're sorry that this concern has resurfaced on your Impala. If we can look into this further, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).
    Be sure to keep in touch if anything should come up, nicky_177. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com if you need anything (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation).

• scmizerscmizer Posts: 1
    I have around 86,000 on my Impala. Have had issues with check engine light and stabilitrak warning lights in freezing weather or damp conditions. Just last wednesday when merging onto the interstate, the car had those lights come on plus the throttle sensor light and SHUT OFF in the middle of the highway. Lost all power to the vehicle. This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed in some form of recall. After sitting on the side of the road for 5-10 min, it started and made it the rest of the way home.
  • arledmarledm Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Chevrolet Impala with 79,184 miles on it. The check engine light came on and the code indicated it was the “Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor” by the Chevrolet dealer but was not able to get my car in for repairs as they were and still are having a rash of check engine problems.
    I had been unable to get in for repairs when I wasn’t working and this is the only vehicle I have. I stopped at Auto Zone and had then check the check engine light and they came up with the same problem. Auto Zone did show me what the part was and it was in stock so I purchased it and installed it since it was a simple job to do.
    The problem still occur so I went back to Auto Zone and had it checked again and it was the same problem but was told I would have to get the codes cleared before it would function properly.
    I have had the codes cleared and still have the problem. I tried to get back into the Dealership today and still unable to get in. Need Help! What’s next since the parts been replaced and codes cleared?
    I’m seeing a lot of Impala owner’s with this problem but no solutions.
  • jwc1951jwc1951 Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    Good Afternoon, I just returned having to leave my 2006 chevrolet impala at my local dealer. Sat when my daughter was comming home for spring break, about a 200 mile trip, she first experienced a trac control light to be folled by a reduced speed light. The car would not go over 40 mph. Panicky she called me. Unfortunately she was not in a area where I wanted her to drop off the hwy and go into the neighborhoods. I told her to pull to the shoulder and wait for a state hwy employee for assistance. I had her shut the engine off and wait to see if something would reset. At first to no avail but after a 15 min wait just the check engine light was on but the car had normal power. To make a long story short we had to repeat this 2 more times for the last 100 miles of her trip. Only 50,000 miles on car, GMPP out, just replaced coolant tube,heater blender motor, water pump, Aren't cars lasting longer these days??? Is GM offering any assistance???