Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• Good morning I have been reading this entire forum trying to find solutions to this problem. My husband and I just purchased a 2010 Impala with a little over 85k miles on it. We have only had this car for 6 days and the check engine light kicked on as well as the traction control light, and the message about reducing power. Can someone message me or email me and let me know if 1. its safe to continue driving the car and 2. if there is an actual fix? I just read a recent post about replacing the throttle body sensor that is in the pedal, but honestly I dont know anything about cars. Please help!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,131
    Hi randee_hane

So it may be hard to tell if your vehicle is safe or not. If you're still within warranty you may want to go into a dealership to see what they have to say about your "check engine" & "traction control" lights coming on. They'd be the best in determining what is wrong with your vehicle. I'd be happy to set up an appointment for you if you'd like. Just let me know!

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    Please take a few minutes to answer our survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

It's really important for us to hear from our members and visitors to get direction going forward. Only good things are planned for the future, but we need to gather insights to get there! Whether it's your first time or you're a regular, we'd love to hear from you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• diamondchinadiamondchina Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    I'm having the same problem with my 2008 impala had the throttle cleaned and it was fine for a couple of days now today my brother was driving to Vegas and it did it again...
  • I have a 2011 Chevy Impala that I have not owned a year yet. I am receiving the "reduced engine power" message and my engine light is on. I can't believe I would be experencing this problem with a fairly new car. Please advise on who I can contact for them to look into this problem without paying out money that I don't have. Is there a recall?
  • I posted on here about this same problem a week or so ago and took my car back to the dealership and they fixed the problem free of charge. I only had the car a week before this started happening so Im not sure how much it would cost to fix. i do however know they replaced our entire gas pedal and wiring and sensors behind it..I believe it was called the throttle body sensor or something. Car has been fine ever since
  • How did you get the dealership to repair it for free? When I took mine in, they ended up charging me almost $200 to repair mine. All they did was replace the gas pedal with its sensor.
  • Thank you so much. I actually bought mine from Enterprise and was told Firestone does thier work. Don't know if I would still be able to take it to a dealership to have it looked at. Do you think so? I appreciate your feedback. Thanks so much.
  • Hi, so I bought a 2009 Chevy Impala SS (top of the line, allegedly) new from Chevy GMC Burlingame. It technically was used but only had 200 miles on it.
    Let's just say I have had a lot of issues with this car, and they are now beginning to cost me a lot of money.
    This check engine light and reduced power issue has cost me $1500.00 dollars in rental fees, SERVICE charges, and LOST WAGES.
    Courtesy Chevrolet told me it was a bad speed sensor AND a bad battery, which cost me $1000 plus. NOW I BELIEVE I WAS CHARGED THIS UNDER FALSE PRETENSES. Because guess what? The car shut down AGAIN this morning AND IS BACK in the shop. ALSO, I read on the thread that someone else needed there transmission power cylinoid replaced. At least that was still under warranty. I am only on this site because the SERVICE DEPT WAS FULL OF IMPALAS. I bought American out of a sense of tradition and respect for my fellow Americans. I SERIOUSLY REGRET MY DECISION. NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED.
  • I am creating a Vehicle Safety Complaint as you suggest. I have 3 daughters and Chevy charged me 1000.00 for BS. My car is back with them now because the local dealers don't know how to fix it because it is NOT A RECALL!!!!
  • MsGaither1,

Please encourage your attorney to pursue CLASS ACTION options, you have plenty of fellow plaintiffs.
    praise2him,

If you send me the last 8 digits of your VIN I can check if there are any recalls listed for your vehicle.

Regards

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • I would agree with you. My research was not as in depth as it should have been. I would have gone another rout if I had known the safety problems and concerns my 2009 Impala would be bringing to my life. I am having the same safety issues and problems with my car. I hope your safety complaint doesn't go unnoticed and something good arises!
  • praise2himpraise2him Posts: 9
    Thank you so much. I took my car to AutoZone yesterday and they did a diagnosis on it for free. The throttle position sensor needs to be replaced. My engine light has gone out for the time being; found a mechanic that will do the work for me but he is not sure of what the actual cost would be until he finds out the position it is in while doing the work. I was told I can still drive the car without any problems for this particular issue. Right now I don't have the money. Of course the part is not covered by my warranty. I hope to have the money soon to get it fixed. I pray your problem will be resolved as well.
  • The best thing we can do is raise awareness of the lack of accountability GM/Chevrolet has for these malfunctioning vehicles. OUR TAX MONEY WAS USED TO KEEP THEM IN BUSINESS. NEVER FORGET THAT. We deserve more.
    Use social media to inform the people you can influence that an injustice is occurring. Do I want to drive a foreign car? NO. Will I in the future? Probably, almost certainly. And whenever the prospect of purchasing a new car comes up, my entire family/friends AND THEIR friends and family will have my story in their heads when they PASS a GM/Chevy lot.
  • tammy46tammy46 Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Impala, purchased used with only 25,000 miles on it, at present time it has 77,000.
    I bought this car at the time when GM was struggling and I wanted to buy American, end results have been way too money spent out of my pocket to keep this car in working condition...

Uneven front tire wear, replacement of actuators (loud clicking sound in dash), rear window motor going out as well as the opposite door lock sticking and needing to be replaced, radio has short in system. Paint on hood chipping beyond belief, And of course the Service Traction Control issue. I feel like I got a LEMON, so many issues and of course my extended warranty is gone (not that it covered any of the issues) and I cant afford taking it to the dealership where they charge me $50 for each diagnosis plus at minimum a fix it cost of $300 each time.

Will never buy Chevy again...
    Hi praise2him,

I am sorry to hear about the issues with your Impala. I would like to research this for you. In order to do this, Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is socialmedia@gm.com "attn Crystal" in the header. Look forward to hearing from you:-)!

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
  • 2009 Chevy Impala..64,000 miles.......Yesterday i had the same issue with the traction coming on and REDUCE SPEED took it to the dealer immediately.... of course ended up being the accelerator pedal position sensor which is not under normal warranties... so this is really a manufacturer problem final bill $400 however i took the time to call GM and speak to customer service where i was advised you need to file a full complaint with GM and then after enough complaints are filed then there is a recall.... PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO FILE A COMPLAINT SO THIS CAN BE RECALLED...... someone could really get hurt!!
    Hi impalaissues,

I am sorry to of the issues you are having with your Impala. I would like to research your issue as well. Can you private message me your full name, address, phone number, Vehicle Identification number, and approximate mileage on your vehicle please? My email address is socialmedia@gm.com "attn Crystal" in the subject line. Look forward to hearing from you.

Crystal L-GM Customer Care
  • stephens6stephens6 Posts: 1
    I bought my Impala this year in Feb. at the end of march that throttle position sensor came on with lost of traction control. I'm a little disturbed by reading these post. when I bought my car it only had 4800 miles on it an now it has 5200 an its a 2009 so what is being done to solve this problem because when I went to purchase this part a lot of places don't have it and the one place that does have it they are charging me to replace the whole thing not the sensor an that is 173.00 an then the core is a extra 45.00 so who is going to repay me my money for replacing this part that I see everyone on here is saying that part ain't no good either now I cant speak Ill of Chevy but this just amazes me that no one is trying to take care of this from the company and the dealerships cant do very much really so what is going to happen to get it fix someone has to be killed for this to be taken care of. :confuse:
  • Hi I have previously sent an email regarding my info and I have not heard back from anyone. I was told that this could possibly be a PCM issue. The dealers cannot officially diagnose it properly because there are no codes coming up, but there are at times (daily now) where the car gets very sluggish, sometimes jerks, I noticed the radio sometimes gets quieter when this happens. All of the sudden, the car would kick in and run normal. If this is the case and it is a PCM (computer) issue, GM needs to recall ASAP!!! I have filed complaints regarding the vehicle and nothing is being done. I am writing in regards to requesting an update as to if GM is possibly looking at doing a recall. I am seriously considering trading the vehicle and never buying GM vehicles again. Please let me know what is going on. Thank you.
  • mrdennisatmrdennisat Posts: 4
    I bought my 2011 Chevy Impala over a year ago with about 35,000 miles on it. After driving for about 2 months I had an issue with the "REDUCED POWER, Traction " display coming on. The car would bog down no matter how fast I tried to go. I ended up going to the dealer where I bought it. $100 later it was fixed ( knock on wood) and have'nt had a problem since. It's a DEFECTIVE SENSOR in the gas pedal. I thought my foot told me how fast the car goes but apparently not. The sensor tells the car's fuel system how fast to go so to speak. GM should have covered with a warranty but they did'nt. Hope this helps.
    I had the same thing. It's a computer chip in the gas pedal that is the problem. I new pedal cost me $100 bucks. GM's warranty does'nt cover it ( it did'nt for me cause I bought the car used) That was a year ago. So far there has been no issues since.
    Hi ! I bought a 2011 Impala about a year and a half ago. About two months after I owned it I was driving along and that faithful GM Traction control reduced power came on and the car bogged down about 20 mph slower. I took it to the dealer ( I live in MA) and they told me it was a defective chip in th e gas pedal. The replaced the pedal to the tune of $100. Since then ( knock on wood ) I have'nt had any issues. I have about 56,000 on the car now. Though I have to say it would have been nice if GM had picked up the tab. Good Luck !
    I apologize that you have not received a response yet. I will personally look into your issue. My name is Jackie. Please resend the email with ATTN: Jackie and I will exhaust my resources when looking into your situation.

Jackie
    GM Customer Care
  • praise2himpraise2him Posts: 9
    Thank you very much. I was thinking it may cost a whole lot more. I'm glad to know the problem was resolved.
  • slimcuteslimcute Posts: 1
    I had this same problem a few weeks ago. Though I know I purchased a used car, I checked out the carfax report and everything. Oh, I purchased it 2 months ago. Since getting the problem fixed, I am leery about it. I find myself driving in the far right lane and much slower than I normally do because of the issue.

I agree, this is a major problem and someone can get hurt. When my lights came on, I was in 5:30 pm rush hour traffic on the freeway. Something really needs to be done about this issue.
  • corey8766corey8766 Posts: 1
    2008 Impala 125K, just purchased. Had two new tires put on and within a few hours 'Traction Control' light and 'Reduced Engine Power' warning. Judging from the thread could be the gas pedal/sensor or maybe faulty wiring. Anyway the changing of two tires could have somehow triggered this? Worth taking back to NTB to see if the can fix or is it just a waste of time and should get pedal/sensor looked at?
  • deannapdeannap Posts: 2
    My 2010 Impala is back in the shop. Now they are replacing the battery. I have had messages, reduced engine power, get service, stablelizer, get serviced, and Traction Control get service. I have had this car towed 2 times. I have had Onstar diagnose problems and each time they reported do not drive car, and they called my service station. So far, I have had this problem 5 times. Once In Jan. 2013, twice in April 2013 and not twice in May 2013. I have had the throttle body replaced, a wire replaced and battery cables cleaned, an engine control module replaced, then another dealer had to program the system Now less than two weeks later, it is back in shop and this time, they are replacing my battery. This should do it, so they say. I am fortunate that I opted for the extended warranty. If I had not, this would have cost me a fortune. This is my 3rd Impala and by the looks of things it will be my last. I am shocked at all the Impala that are having the same problem and nothing is being done about it.
  • shishi079shishi079 Posts: 1
    My issue was that I was four months into driving my new 2009 chevy impala and while driving on the highway driving 65mph my car showed flashing signal reading "engine reduced speed" "check stabilitrack" and my check engine was on. This all happened yesterday. After researching and hearing complaints about GM and how they are charging people anywhere from $250 - $600. We decided to take matters into our own hands. Once this happens you must fix it right away or it could lead to transmission issues. We took my car to autozone had them run a FREE test on my car order the accelerator pedal sensor which is $72.99 at autozone. And my dad replaced it today within 5 minutes. My check engine light no longer on. My car is no longer jerking and they're are no scary flashing signals! I can't believe GM did not send out a recall on that faulty part with all of these reviews. Crazy. Hope this saves someone some money!! For more info visit my YouTube video. Step by step instructions on how to DIY!

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtube/_hP4nGkG2bs
    :blush: