Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

1131415161719»

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,113

Hello legal70,

We are sorry to hear that you are having this concern with the reduced power light illuminating in your 2009 Chevrolet Impala. I can definitely understand your frustration because your dealership was unable to diagnose your concern. I'd be happy to document your feedback in our system. You are welcome to reach out to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sincerely,

Andraya R. GM Customer Care

• leuy23leuy23 Posts: 1

I have an o8 Impala and I am also having the same problem with reduced engine power not sure what to do anybody help

• archie81542archie81542 Posts: 1

I just experienced the "Reduced Eng. Power" issue twice on my 2008 Impala SS. The first time I was driving down the road and the check engine and reduced eng. power light indicators switched on. I lost power steering, power breaks and the ability to accelerate. Luckily, I was able to coast to the side the road without hitting anything. Once the vehicle was stopped, I waited for a few minutes and could not re-start the car. I towed the vehicle to the GM dealer for repair. Whatever happened, also drained the battery overnight. The dealer determined there was a shorted powertrain relay and open ECM fuse. These items were replaced and the car went back to functioning. Three days later I was driving and the same issue occurred again. I once again towed the car back the dealer. They are not certain what is shorting out the powertrain fuses and draining the battery. I'm afraid the dealer is just going to start replacing equipment as they go. So far the issue has cost me around $900.00 for the repairs and towing. I have always been a GM person, will be reconsidering before I buy my next car.

• They can come pick up this Impala. Nobody will drive it because of the safety issue with this P2138 code. The engine shutting down on a highway about sent my brother over the edge of a cliff. He hasn't been behind the wheel of this death trap since.

Hello manana_moose,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your vehicle. We take customer safety very serious! Please reach out to me via email to socialmedia@gm.com Attn:Andraya to discuss further. Thank you!

Andraya GM Customer Care

• Message sent. Unless something as serious as this engine failure issue will be fixed under the power train warranty, I don't know what you can say to make me feel better about the car.
    Powertrain = makes the car go
    This issue = makes the car stop
    So then yes, that would be a power train issue. We aren't talking a broken radio knob or mirror that fell off. We are talking something major.
  • jimdagojimdago Posts: 1

I too had the same issue - a local repair shop was able to diagnose and correct the problem by installing a new throttle sensor.

• Now however, I have a new electrical issue that I wonder if it is an offshoot of the previous electrical issue.
    • Recently, there has been a knocking sound that is coming from somewhere in behind the glovebox area. I was initially able to stop the knocking if I switched the air handler from exterior to interior air. That no longer works and the sound will continue for a short period of time (maybe 30 seconds or so) before it stops.
    • But, if I change the settings on the A/C, or adjust the flow - it starts up again. It also has started knocking whenever I press the keyfob to open/unlock the doors, open the truck, etc. Pretty much anytime an electrical sensor is activated.
    • Has anyone esle experienced this?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116

If it's related to operation of the HVAC, I'm going to guess that you have a noisy blend door actuator back there.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• spudbudyspudbudy Posts: 1

Just got done working on my daughter's 07 Impala 3.5l she called me and said it displayed Reduced Engine Power and car would barely drive then it stalled and never restarted. Luckily she was on her way home on a street without much traffic and was able to get to the side of the road. So Google here I come. I ended up here and quite frankly I was shocked to see SO many similar complaints. After reading thru the many many issues and lack of any one fix, I took it apon myself to go the easy route and replace the accelerator pedal, relatively cheap and a 5 min project.

So off I went on a 50 mile drive to get to the car stopped @ Autozone for the part got to the car looked around and went ahead and changed the part. Attempted to start the car no joy! I ended up buying a code scanner since Autozone didn't have one to rent. Code came up PO641. Reference circuit "A" open or shorted. Great didn't have a clue what that means or how to fix it. Google didn't exactly save the day on this one. So after much more research and the conclusion was the Throttle body is bad, I felt this was not the cause but my daughter insisted this would fix it after all she read in on the internet and it must be true LOL. 2nd trip back to visit the car I also cleaned and replaced the positive battery terminal as many people seemed to believe this was the problem it wasn't but needed a good cleaning anyway. In the mean time we found a TSB#PIC4610B this one has you looking for chaffed wires in 3 different location.

The locations turned up nothing to show that a wire had been cut or shorted or rubbed in any way so on to the next TSB#PIP4102C. Now this one has the information that I needed to diagnose and ultimately fix the problem. This one has you checking the wires coming off the camshaft sensor which isn't visible without removing the power steering pump first. Removed the pump and the problem was obvious. The power steering pump was replaced because of the noise and it the interim my daughter filled and spilled the power steering fluid. It would appear that the power steering fluid has eaten away at the wire insulation and the result was all 3 wires on the camshaft sensor were shorted touching each other. After cleaning up the connector and the sensor which was half full of fluid, I separated the wires and taped each one hooked it back up again and HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN. The car started and ran. So after clearing the code with the code scanner this time it cleared. No MIL on codes all good.

So don't believe everything you read on the internet and you will be $$$ for it.This problem had me spending $$$ on various parts to find that electrical tape solved the problem for no cost.

I can only hope that someone who reads this finds it sooner rather then later and guides them in the right direction. I give full credit to the people over on the Impalaforums.com for all of their helpful information.

I'm kinda surprised you went through all that trouble (admirable level of determination) but then fell back on electrical tape. Wouldn't you have preferred a more permanent repair?

• mkelly05mkelly05 Posts: 2

I am having the same problem with my 2011 Impala I have only had the car 2 yrs in March. Since I have had the car I have had to take it to the service department 3 times. Once because my tires were being ate every other week. Found that my tires lean inward..........Second time it was making a weird noise and they said it was my power sterring pump and now this! It should be a recall on these cars, GM is killing our pockets for their mistakes! FYI as I sat at the dealer I watch 3 more Impalas drive in with the same problem!

We recognize that having to return to the dealership for service can be highly inconvenient and we're sorry that your vehicle concerns have gone unresolved. Please message us your VIN, contact information, mileage and dealership name so that we can start a case for you within our system and do some additional research on our end. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please be sure to include your screen name within the email.

Thanks

Amber N. GM Customer Care

@mkelly05 said: I am having the same problem with my 2011 Impala I have only had the car 2 yrs in March. Since I have had the car I have had to take it to the service department 3 times. Once because my tires were being ate every other week. Found that my tires lean inward..........Second time it was making a weird noise and they said it was my power sterring pump and now this! It should be a recall on these cars, GM is killing our pockets for their mistakes! FYI as I sat at the dealer I watch 3 more Impalas drive in with the same problem!

• deepskideepski Posts: 1
    Yeah this is just crazy. I continue to get these warnings even after taking to the dealer who say we can't do anything about this. Seriously why do we let these companies get away with this robbery? Oh crap my transmission is falling out of my vehicle. 2200 dollars please, but I just bought this thing now everything is going wrong with it. Completely unreliable, even worse than my saturn.
  • msbjmsbj Posts: 2

I had the issue with the knocking in the glove box area the car. The car was about a year and half old at the time. The dealer had to replace a switch of some type that is connected to the AC blower.

• mgriakmgriak Posts: 1

I own Chevy Impala LT 2008, three weeks ago, I took my kids to July 4th fireworks celebrations. then on our way home; we were stranded in middle of road because the REDUCED ENGINE POWER and check ENGINE LIGHTS came on simultaneously. it was scary with all those intense traffic in the middle of the road with kids in the car. on July 24th, 2014 after work; I was going to see a new house, we wanted to move in. Again I was stranded on the road and lost the appointment with the landlord who in turn gave away the house to some one else. I went around to Google the issue until I accidentally just got on this site an read all the similar problems that every one else is having and quite frankly, i cant believe that the GM is not willing to do something to fix this problem. Seriously!!!!! you have somebody with children driving down the crowded road and their cars have no power. That is totally dangerous an they wont even fix the damn problem!! is this how buying american was almost going to take our life? I have already spent over $439.00 and can't afford doing this again and again. can some body fixed this problems to save the life of those who choose to buy and drive made in america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• abugz79abugz79 Posts: 1

WHY is this not a recall issue? For the past year, my car has had this issue so many times I can't keep track. It's happened multiple times in one day, it's happened right after my car has been on the computer and the code cleared. My code consistently comes up as a general computer error, but the dealership continues to insist they replace other parts. So-far, this has helped with NOTHING but draining my wallet and wasting my time. I would love to have the money to continue to shell out for repairs/replacement/whatever, but if I did, I'd be more apt to just get rid of the car and get a new one. I've been in my car with my two toddlers in the back seat on the freeway and city streets when this has happened. Again, I'd love to have a different car to drive them around in, but I don't, so I'm guessing someone has to die in a wreck after this happens before GM will step up to the plate and recall this. I come from a family of auto workers and have worked at our local plant myself, and I'm ready to start buying foreign. Shame on anyone who works there, knows this is an issue, and has no problem sleeping at night while doing nothing. You have how many thousands of cars recalled already--why not take care of the rest of your mistakes?

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,896

A reporter would like to speak to an owner of a GM car who has had a recent experience with a dealer service department during recalls. If you own a GM car, even one that was not included in the recent recalls, and you've been able to make a service appoint with no problem, or if the recalls have complicated your ability to make a service appointment, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, Aug 6, 2014 at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have a 2007 Impala. I am in 2nd year of a 3 year lease from a local used car dealership. I have also ha two other Impalas, and never had any problem like this until today. Most of these comments are from a few years ago so I wondered if maybe someone knows something by now? I have a mechanic friend who said it sounds like maybe the fuel pump. He will try and drive it later today to see what he thinks. This is so frustrating!! I don't have time or money for this.
  • I've had a 2007 Impala for 3 years now and have had nothing but problems with the "engine power reduced" and "starting disabled" codes. The throttle body has been replaced three times now (fortunately the second one was still under warranty), the accelerator assembly once, and then the dealer wanted $750 to change the battery and one battery cable. I've had it in the shop six times now for the same issue. Been stranded on a busy Chicago freeway, at the hospital parking lot after my child's brain surgery, at the grocery store, on our anniversary trip, all over. Unfortunately, we are still paying on the heap of junk and can't afford to get rid of it....or keep it. Does anyone know if there is a class-action lawsuit? It doesn't appear that they've fixed this issue on newer cars either as I had the "engine power reduced" code on a 2014 Chevy Cruze I just rented for our vacation. The Cruze's electronic trip and MPG display disappeared, the car overheated, and it gave the engine power reduced code.....and the rental only had 9,000 miles on it. Not what I would expect from a car with so few miles. The rental agency had the car towed and replaced it with another 2014 Cruze....but fortunately that one got us back home. I've always been a GM man but now probably wouldn't buy one that was made after 1998 as my older Saturn keeps running flawlessly at 260,000 miles now

• tyler995tyler995 Posts: 1

I have a 2008 Chevy Impala and do mostly highway driving. I bought it from a dealership with 46000 miles.It ran fine through that winter but in the warmer months I was constantly getting the engine power reduced. Took it in and the dealership mechanics said that the 'sure fire fix' was to replace the throttle body sensor... They did that and cleared the code and sent me on my way ($400) Then on the ride home it did that same engine power reduced, I turned around and they said that there was absolutely nothing they could do for me. So i just drove it like that (as frustrating as that was). Then in the winter months, everything was fine and no engine power reduced until the warmer months. Then this past weekend it stalled for the first and only time (at roughly 76000 miles) in a drive thru. I took it in to a different shop today and they said they see this issue quite often! They said the code I was having was P1516. I dropped it off and a few hours later they called back with great news!!! They checked the wires and all was good. THEN they checked the battery. That was where the issue was! They put the battery on a charger and an hour later they tried that out. NO PROBLEMS and they diagnosed the issue to being a bad battery giving a low reading to the sensors causing the fail safe mode to occur! For them to look at it, it cost me $63 for them to diagnose the problem and they warned me to avoid cheap batteries!

Glad to hear your dealership was able to take care of this issue for you, tyler995! If you happen to have concerns with your Impala in the future, we'd be more than happy to offer our assistance. We're available via private message if interested.

Amber N.

GM Customer Care

@tyler995 said: I have a 2008 Chevy Impala and do mostly highway driving. I bought it from a dealership with 46000 miles.It ran fine through that winter but in the warmer months I was constantly getting the engine power reduced. Took it in and the dealership mechanics said that the 'sure fire fix' was to replace the throttle body sensor... They did that and cleared the code and sent me on my way ($400) Then on the ride home it did that same engine power reduced, I turned around and they said that there was absolutely nothing they could do for me. So i just drove it like that (as frustrating as that was). Then in the winter months, everything was fine and no engine power reduced until the warmer months. Then this past weekend it stalled for the first and only time (at roughly 76000 miles) in a drive thru. I took it in to a different shop today and they said they see this issue quite often! They said the code I was having was P1516. I dropped it off and a few hours later they called back with great news!!! They checked the wires and all was good. THEN they checked the battery. That was where the issue was! They put the battery on a charger and an hour later they tried that out. NO PROBLEMS and they diagnosed the issue to being a bad battery giving a low reading to the sensors causing the fail safe mode to occur! For them to look at it, it cost me $63 for them to diagnose the problem and they warned me to avoid cheap batteries!

• Nine days after getting my car out of the shop after getting the "engine power reduced" code issue fixed again (6th time), the "engine power reduced" code is back. Was 55 miles from home and had to limp it all the way home as I can't afford yet another tow. Wow, this is frustrating!

• I have 2008 Chevy impala LT while driving to my daughters this past Sunday the reduced engine power light and the engine light came on!!!  The car wouldn't go above 20 miles

kaverill said:

I have 2008 Chevy impala LT while driving to my daughters this past Sunday the reduced engine power light and the engine light came on!!!  The car wouldn't go above 20 miles

Oh no! We're sorry you're experiencing this issue with your Impala. We'd like to help in whatever way possible, kaverill. Please private message us your VIN, mileage, full contact information and dealership name if interested. If you'd like to send the above requested information along with your screen name to socialmedia@gm.com, we'd be happy to assist via email as well.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

• maybe GM should issue all Impala owners a code scanner for FREE!!!

Actually I'd like to see that built into all cars.