Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• I have a 2008 Impala LS. Had it for the last 2 years and no issues.
    on 10/30/11, i drove the car for 10 min, parked it and left. Came back in a couple of hours and car is dead. Remote entry key doesn't work. Got in using the lock on the door. Battery is completely dead. None of the electricals were on. I just had the service tech clean out the corrosion the the so called "Maintenance free battery" which had corrosion all over it. And the weird part is the key got stuck in the ignition. I've tried moving the steering around, nothing seems to get the key out. There is no key release anywhere under the steering column as well. Its amazing how such an important aspect is missing.

Measured the voltage across the battery and it reads 2.5V. Tried jump starting and that doesn't help at all. Car has been dead with the key in it for the last 4 days. And the best part is the Shifter override is not even available. Not sure how the Tow truck would get the wheels rolling.

Its quite frustrating to not have any means to move the car out.

I was a great fan of Chevys up until recently. But seems like I was wrong. Problem after problem seems to creep up with the impala. Wife has a foreign car for the last 3 yrs and not a single issue with it.
  • Maddy9944,

I’m sorry to hear about the battery concerns you’re having with your Impala. Where was your battery serviced? Also, are there other concerns with your Impala? We'd be happy to follow up with any dealerships for you.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina,

You continue to ask us to check with the dealership. What about this, Chevy Runs deep in my pocket due to expensive and frequent repairs. Put the quality back in and make cars that compete and WIN over imports. I have so many problems with my 2007 Impala, most recently seat belt just stopped working...did Chevy use Lego to assemble them? So tired of reading the problems and your constant insistence that we take the car to the dealer...who already has the circular on how to placate us and cover up the problem (can we say too many transmission issues, errant codes and oil leaks) and not document them so NO RECALL since under the threshold of complaints. STOP the counseling and make better, more reliable cars. We do not need your back rub counseling. :mad: :sick: :mad:
  • I had the same thing happen. Two battery replacements within 2 years. Not sure of the cause. However, the battery was under warranty and the dealership replaced it - no charge. There may be an underlying cause...but after a late tow to the dealership and having to get a ride home, glad to know a battery corrected the issue.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    vytate,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I recommend people start with the dealer because it is my standard procedures. Dealers are independently owned and operated; however they have a contract with GM to be our eyes and ears in the field. In order to work with a customer and try to assist I need to have a dealer’s diagnosis as I cannot do it over the internet. See the difference here is now you are involved with GM Customer Service who is going to call the dealers and monitor the situation. When a customer comes to me with a problem they have been to the dealer for multiple times, please believe I am on the phone with the dealer trying to figure out why this hasn't been resolved. It is also documented with GM about the concerns and any concerns with the vehicle or dealer. I apologize you are unhappy with the service I provide, but I have helped many people of this forum. Please feel free to email me with any further information or concerns. I hope you enjoy your weekend.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 1,521
    I wonder how many customers are aware of just how "flat rate" compensates the technician when any situation like the above takes place? GM isn't alone when it comes to problems at this level, so this isn't a reflection on just a GM dealership nor it's technicians. But it's amazing to watch things like this take place and "since many times the technicians are being paid less to deal with something like this, if they are paid at all" compared to what a technician would be earning doing much simpler work that problems like this one ever get solved at all.
  • I bought my 2009 Impala SS 3 months ago. Having no major problems with my malibu, I figured chevy was the way to go. Tonight 11/14/11 I was driving down the highway (60 mph) with my 2 year old and pregnant sister. All of a sudden I get a warning that the stabilitrak needs something, the traction control needs something, and that my engine power was reduced! Ticked. Luckily I made it to the side of the road. So, I turned my car off. Back on SAME THING!!!!! Finally I let it sit for about 5 min it turned on and no warnings, just my check engine let came on. Now, (2 hours later) my remote starter wont work. Lock and unlock work fine, just wont start. Im beyond terrified to drive it. 25+ miles to a dealership. Who know's when it's going to just shut off on me again. I will be calling tomorrow to get it fixed. With only 37k miles on it, IT WILL BE COVERED!!!!! I don't care who I have to talk to, I am not going to be paying out of pocket for this when there are MANY others out there with the same issue! If chevy can't get this problem taken care of, I WON'T be buying another one. Oh we have 4 sitting in our driveway, but trading them in doesn't seem so bad when I can't trust to drive it to work!
  • Thank you for posting - can we look further into your situation? Please email us with more information (name/username, contact information, last 8 of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership).

Looking forward to assisting,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Can I have your e-mail?
  • Just click on her blue highlighted user ID and you can see her email address.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I own a 2008 Implala which is nothing but trouble.I bought it after happily owning a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix which i put 288,000 miles on it ,worry free.Since i have owned my Impala i have been stranded 4 times in 5 months. First the tire went flat due to the sensor inside the wheel breaking off the valve stem,then while changing the flat the jack just broke and the car fell on the ground on the rotor.About 3 weeks ago i couldnt get it out of park and again had to get it towed due to some shifter being bent or something to that affect which cost me 500 dollars ,not to mention the 90 tow bill. Now today the battery is dead. The radio sometimes works and sometimes dosent. I travel for my job and am so tired of having this piece of crap always having issues. What happened to the qaulity Chevy products that use to be made. There is always something wrong with this car. When people ask me how i like the car i tell them i hate it! Get your crap together chevy!
  • Rhenry3751,

I'm sorry to hear about the multiple concerns you've experienced with your vehicle. Have you worked with Customer Assistance before?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have a 2006 chevy impala that gave me the engine power reduced message yesterday and my speed went from 50 to 20 on my way home from work. Do anybody know what caused that?
  • Have a look at the previous messages but I am sure you will find that it is the gas pedal and the electronics used to make the throttle work. On my 08 as soon as the pedal was replaced all symtoms dissappeared and the car is back running fine. Most new vehicles do not have a linkage to the throttle and control it by the computer. If a sensor goes bad there is a fail safe that reduces the engine rpm and gives you a message.

That is what was wrong with my 08 but I cannot tell you if your 06 has the same system or not.

Good luck..
  • can someone from customer service contact me
  • i replaced my pedal travel sensor three days ago. it cant be found as an after market part. i got mine through GM Parts Direct with shipping it was 1/2 the cost of the dealer quote and it took less than 10 minutes to replace
  • There's no way for them to know how to contact you. If you wish to contact gmcustsvcsarah, you can click on her blue user ID, and you'll be able to see her email address to contact her.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• wayniac67wayniac67 Posts: 12
    edited December 2011
    Kristie,I am having the same problems,bought my 2008 Chevy Impala because my used car kept breaking down,so bought a new car 20,000 plus,480 a month payments because it would be reliable! Yeah that's a joke,I have been broken down almost as many times,my shifter got stuck in gear ,had to have it replaced,my battery constantly goes dead ,my radio sometimes works,sometimes not,my back defroster doesn't work,it shifts really hard from park to drive,My dad was a diehard Chevy man,I always had chevy's but I tell everyone what a piece of crap it is! I hate it ,when I take it to get it fixed,they say nothing is wrong,I am just at my wits end,I drive 45 minutes to work every day and never know if I will break down or not and paying so much for the trash! :lemon:
  • I have put several posts on here about mine and You haven't sent me a message, :confuse:
  • My 2010 impala just got tracktion control failure, Engine Power Reduce. I was dring on the freeway at 65 miles, when this happened, the speed dropped down to 40 miles!! Luckily I was not hit!! It's so scary!!

So far, there seems to be alot of problems like this and it's so lucky that no one got killed yet??? What else can we do so GM will fix this problem and send the recalls to related Impala!!

Regards,
    Henry