Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• praise2himpraise2him Posts: 9
    Thank you so much for that information. I will not drag my feet any longer and get it done this week. You have been very helpful!
  • deannapdeannap Posts: 2
    Ok, can't believe it, but I had my car in last Wed. May 22, got it back Thurs. May 23. Was told they believed the battery was causing the problem! I have had the car in for the same problem and had various things done. Well, lo and behold, went out today and the same exact thing happened for the 6th time!!! Thank God for OnStar. Called them and they got me assistance. Guess paying that $170 for a battery wasn't the problem!! I have a 2010 Impala LT and have been dealing with this problem since January 2013. What we have noticed from the last time it happened, it seems as if every time it has rained the night before or is raining at the time, this problem has occurred. I am tired of seeing Engine Power reduced, service Traction Control and service Stabiltrak!! I am losing my patience with this matter!!
  • imp3imp3 Posts: 1
    I have the same problems with my impala 2009. Has anyone complained to Chevy about this? I have send them an email about the problem and I think we all should do this. If they get enough complains, maybe they will get this problem fixed.
    Here is the website to send the complain:
    http://www.chevrolet.com/help/contact-us.html

I don't see why we have to pay for repair cost if they put in a faulty part.
    Thanks
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Be sure to report it to the NHTSA as well - the link is at the top of this forum page.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• joy_rangejoy_range Posts: 3
    I went round and round with Chevy customer service, they refused to pay for anything...I had to pay for the repair 160 was the total...I just hope it doesn't happen again...they told me that didn't have enough complaints to do a recall
  • We would receive traction control alarm then shortly after we would engine power reduced. Chevy looked at the car and quoted $850 for the repair. We had a friend run it on a scanner which showed throttle position sensor. We purchased the part from Rockauto.com for around $60, received the part in 3 days and fixed the entire problem. While ordering this part we also had to purchase mode door actuator because the wonderfully engineered gears in it are plastic. The Impala has around 70000 miles on it and all of these problems already! I've been a firm believer in American made my entire life, but this along with our 09 Traverse and all of it's problems have really made me rethink it.
  • dgmorrowdgmorrow Posts: 2
    I have this problem with engine power reduced as well, on my way home last night from work my car just shut off on me. So i've only had the car 1 year so I called the dealer i purchased the vehicle from Royal Chevrolet in Coldwater, Michigan and since the car has no extended warranty it will cost me around 400 dollars to fix. Well this tees me off I can't believe GM don't recall these things to correct the problem. I guess i will have to quit buying Gm altogether my fiance has a 1998 Ford Explorer and it has 250,000 miles on it and she don't have these problems and she won't get rid of it for anything. there i go problem solved buy a FORD.
  • desoto3desoto3 Posts: 1
    For my 2008 impala, I saw traction control light reduced engine power lights on when I had uneven air pressure in my tires, or the air pressure in one or more of the tires exceeded the low or high tire pressure. To fix this on the road, I turned of the traction control switch. I adjusted the air pressure in the tires later. The sensors are in the air valve, and they varry wildly in driving and garrage parking.
  • Thank you so much for the info. I recently got an estimate of $458. I haven't seen the light on in about a month so hopefully it has adjusted somehow. I don't have that kind of money to put in a new car.
  • kls0618kls0618 Posts: 4
    About 2 months ago I was on the interstate & I received the message 'service stabilitrak , engine power reduced '. I was using cruise control at about 75 which immediately cut off but the cars speed never dropped below 60. I stopped for gas about 50 miles later . Turned the car back on about 20 minutes later & the message was gone. Car drove fine. Took into the dealership & they said there were no codes coming back. Just 2 days ago I'm driving & the message reappaears but this time my car seems jumpy , hesitant at acceleration & when it does it seems to jolt . I have a 36000 mi warranty but I don't find it's even worth the money anymore because nothing is ever covered . I took it took a local shop & he says its the 'throttle body actuator ' . I read over everyone's posts & hadn't seen in mentioned , is anyone familiar ?
  • The last mechanic told me that was what I needed although diagnosis at AutoZone said something about a sensor in the gas pedal. Anyways I was given an estimate of $458 to replace the throttle. I haven't received any error messages for about a month. I emailed GM and they called me; I asked about a recall and was told the don't have anything in effect for that issue. I've only had my car 1 year and to be experiencing this is not right.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    If you haven't already, you should report the issue(s) to the NHTSA at www.safercar.gov.

They're the only agency authorized to gather consumer complaints and investigate them - that's how many recalls come about.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hi kls0618,

If you are still within your 3 year/36k mile warranty, most repairs should be covered by the dealership. If you would like for us to look more into this please let us know. Feel free to email us at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please include your full name, VIN, exact mileage, dealership, and contact info. Please also reference this post.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hi kls0618,

If you are still within your 3 year/36k mile warranty, most repairs should be covered by the dealership. If you would like for us to look more into this please let us know. Feel free to email us at socialmedia@gm.com [attn Amber]. Please include your full name, VIN, exact mileage, dealership, and contact info. Please also reference this post.

Thank you

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
  • This is how it starts. It is the throttle body actuator and it needs to be replaced. Chevy had to replace my whole accelerator pedal assembly (after I raised holy hell), because they are faulty and will probably need to be replaced again.
    Chevy's are crap. We, unfortunately, had to learn that the hard way. Detroit is a ghost town for a reason. Foreign cars are cheap, run forever, and are easy to work on. Sorry.
    My thoughts Exactly, I've had mine a little over a year & prior to this had a chevy lumina with 126000 mi that never gave me an issue! Chevy is disgusting to me at this point, the fact that your car can lose power at ANY time is a scary thought !
    & they did all of this under your warranty ? They want me to bring the car in first for inspection & I hate to take it to them ,pay my deductible only for them to tell me its not covered. My Mechanic will only charge me $60 for labor, the part is $175 , that only $100 more than I would pay just for them to inspect the car! Its mind boggling to me that they have no regard for this safety issue , I can see warranties are all about money now, They don't care if youre in the middle of highway traffc & this goes out
  • I am livid! I had a frightening experience this morning while driving to work on the interstate. I was driving about 60 mph when all of a sudden my car starts dying down to 40mph. I pressed on gas to increase power but it kept getting slower and slower. Traffic was at a high volume and cars started going all around me.I didn't know what to do; I was finally able to get over to the right lane and pulled over to the emergency lane. I cut car off and sat there for about 5 minutes or so. I started the car again and it was back to normal. I received no warning at all. Normally, an error message would come on - today nothing. I have called GM for resolution. Something has to be done; this is not safe at all.
  • upnygal25upnygal25 Posts: 2
    That seems to be a common occurrence for GM. I had the same issue on my Cadillac, and have friends that have dealt with it on their Trailblazers. W/ all the issues I've experienced on my Impala, I'm right there with you, I'll never buy another vehicle from them again.
    My goodness that's scary . I travel about 200 miles on some weekends going home from school & it's a really frightening thought. I was considering making my normal trip this weekend without the repairs being made first but this made me second guess it . I filed my complaint