Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Impala "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" message

Comments

• What is the part # ? For pedal travel sensor (foot feed) for 06 impala 3.5L
  • I just bought this vehicle from the auction and had for 28 days. Today I found something which almost shocked me.It was when i started to start my car and all of the sudden the vehicle started shaking to an extent I thought there was an earth quake. I did try to turn the ignition on and off, still it continued doing.Messages appeared on the dash board and one of them was " reduced engine power" and "stabilitrack or traction something.This is a manufacturing problem and i urge Gm to recall this model and fix the problem. It seems a lot of people are getting this probelm as I read from this forum. This is a true experience i have had with this impala and please lf someone has any idea of fixing let me know. Thanks
  • I also am having issues with my 2009 Chevy Impala with only 38500 miles on it. I got a light saying something like Service Traction Control and then I got a reduced engine power light. The car did lose some engine power. It seemed to miss also. I am planning on taking it to the dealership as soon as I can get an appointment. Unfortunatley this all happened to me on Christmas eve and no one is open until Tuesday. I am totally dependant on this car for my job, so this is a real problem. From what I am reading on this problem it seems like A RECALL may be needed on this issue. I had a 3 year or 36000 mile warranty on this car as I bought it new. The warranty expired 2000 miles ago. Just my luck? I don't know. I hope GM is listening.
  • 20impala0620impala06 Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    Sarah.
    I have sent you an email per your request on my 2006 Impala that has joined the ranks of those experiencing this erratic "Engine Power is reduced". It is my wife's car and she will not drive it until she is certain it is repaired. Brought it to my local mechanic, and by that time the check engine light had turned off and it was running fine. They were familiar with a "Throttle Position Sensor" issue.
  • Go to GMpartsdirect.com and give them your vin and they will give you the part number for your car. They dont accept returns unless the part is defective or if THEY give you the wrong part. They are usually pretty quick and I buy all parts that have to be bought from GM from them. Much more reasonable prices
  • I changed the accelerator / throttle position sensor with a new unit, and the issue became worse, barely getting a mile down the road before it "Engine Power is Reduced. Changed back to the original timebomb situation. Does the car need to relearn or something with a new component?
  • Same problem. Brought a 2008 Chevy Impala for a more reliable car. After 50,00 miles. Service Traction problems. I have to shut the car off for 1 minute. Then it drives fine. But whenever the street is wet . Forget about it. Also something with the suspension eats up tires quick. Just brought tires a year ago and may need new ones. I have always been a chevy guy. But after owning a 2004 impala and a 08 impala with a ton of issues. may switch to ford or buick.
  • I have a 2009 Chevy Impala with a 3500 engine and this problem came up tonight sitting at a Drive Thru . I have read quite a few of your complaints and am wondering if any of you have Diagnosed any of the problems . I definetly cannot afford to take this to the Dealership . Thanks for any of your help . mudpup98@cableone.net
  • bowanabowana Posts: 9
    I see that various people are having problems with the power reduction and issues regarding the Traction Control. I reported on this condition last October and indicated that replacing the gas pedal cleared the problem. I have not had any issues since the pedal was replaced and the only thing I would ask is that perhaps used pedals from a wrecker may cure the problem cheaper than taking it to a dealer or other repair shop. There is a cure so just follow up and look to the gas pedal. GM is not the only company with this type of problem. Just search under Google and you will see it effects almost every make and model with gas pedals that DO NOT HAVE cable or anything else connected to the throttle but work by sending information to the computers.
    Good Luck everyone!
  • Same exact problem. Even to being 2K out of warranty. My car was a certified used car with 32K. 14K later this reduced power/traction control issue. My dealer is 39 miles away so I'm having it towed. but I am extremely unhappy. What if this had happened when I was doing 65 on the highway?? Car slowed to a crawl and could not climb a slight hill to a parking lot for me to get off road.
  • Good afternoon Henry,
    I am sorry that I did not see your post sooner - sometimes the search tool we use doesn't catch everything, and I was going to the forums manually today.

I realize that your post was a month ago - have you visited your dealership to have this looked into? What is the status of your vehicle at the moment?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Wyniac67,
    As I mentioned to another poster, sometimes our search tool doesn't pick up on posts for whatever reason. Today I had some time to go through manually and look for any respondable posts and found yours. I'm sorry that you were overlooked - how is your vehicle running?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • If you would like to work with Customer Service, we could get a Service Request established for you. Please send us an email with more information, including your name/Edmunds user name, your contact information (phone and address, please), the last 8 digits of your VIN and your current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • All,
    As so many have posted their experience with the "Reduced Engine Power" concern on your Impalas, I will be documenting this thread for GM. Thank you for your contributions, and if you would like for us to look into your situation further please be sure to get in touch with us via email.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • My 2009 Impala SS just gave me the same message and now won't remote remote start and drives no more than 5 miles per hour. I see this is a common and bad problem. I will be checking with my local GM dealership and see their response. I'm currently working with my local Governors office on a project and will certainly bring this issue to light as it happened to me on the interstate and seems its happened to many.
    Thank you
    Robert
  • I ended up having the throttle body replaced to resolve the "Engine Power is Reduced" Hope GM will do a recall as it seems to be a notorious problem.

What do I need to address next, the head gasket as I see some issues floating around concerning "no heat at idle" Any recalls on that?
  • We would be happy to check your VIN in our systems to see if there is an open recall on it. Send us the last 8 digits in an email and we'll let you know what we find out.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • This sounds like a frequent issue, as I have the same problem. 2009 Impala LTZ, and problem started around 75k miles. Very intermittant. Traction control will also kick in (intermittantly) when accelerating from a stopped position, usually making a (somewhat sharp) turn.

Has anyone found a 100% solution to this problem? Replace the pedal sensor? If so, is that covered under the Powertrain 100k warranty?
  • Sensors are excluded from powertrain warranty coverage. If you would like more information on your powertrain warranty coverage, please let me know! Or, for parameters (exact date and mileage of expiration) you can email us the last 8 digits of your VIN (along with your name and Edmunds username) and we'd be happy to provide that.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Hi, wanted to ask you managed to get any resolution to your problem,with car shaking?

Thanx, Alex.