Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Power Seat problem

2»

Comments

• Thank you so much. It absolutely works! In two minutes I fixed something the dealer here in Fort Collins, Colorado wanted $650 for! And it would have only broken again! My wife thinks I'm a genius, but I gave this forum the credit. Thanks for the member who submitted pictures. It would have taken awhile to figure in out without them, but it truly is a miracle fix!
  • ken114ken114 Posts: 4
    Amazing! Several months ago, both our 3rd row seats got stuck. My wife took it to the dealer and we left it overnight. They charged a diagnostic fee, something like $50-$100. They couldn't figure it out and wanted $1,200 to fix it. So she has been driving it around since then with the seats down. We want to use the 3rd row this summer, so I found this forum, read agnosto's post and pictures and used four hair bands to fix it in just a couple of minutes. I couldn't believe it was so easy and I am impressed with Agnosto for figuring it out. Two lessons: Never trust the dealer and always check the internet.
  • peggie3peggie3 Posts: 1
    Hi freinher,

I just fixed mine. When the little seat died, and the dealership said "$700", I decided to just live with it. Today the big seat died too.

-Four rubber bands
    -Five minutes
    -Problem solved.

Someone posted pictures, but not instructions. Here is what I did:

-Bring the seat up as far as it will go.
    -As it can't complete, it will beep at you for a minute, but that will stop.
    -There's a plastic panel covering the mechanism.
    -Grab the top part of the plastic panel and snap it off.
    -Hook the rubber bands on, like these pictures

https://picasaweb.google.com/115415928983491960863/Sienna3rdRow?fgl=true&pli=1#5- 513145845065302562

(There are four pictures. Click through with those light grey arrows)

-The seats will go up now. Unbelievable.
    -Snap the plastic panel back on.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Kudos for documenting that fix. There aren't enough people who take the time to do that nowadays. :shades:
  • chinmoychinmoy Posts: 1
    My problem is slightly different. My single rear seat will come up and work properly. The 2 seat(larger seat) is stuck in the well. The back rest come up but the seat itself is stuck in the well. Has anyone faced this issue?

Thanks in advance
  • I have an 04 Sienna XLE and the drivers seat won't move forward and back. There are 4 motors under the seat and Toyota won't sell the motors separately. You have to buy the entire base with all 4 motors for $1400. The motors don't have individual part numbers so I can find the part. I know that it's the motor in the front of the seat but no one has the part. I've spent hours on line and calling. Anyone have any idea on how to find the motor?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Do it the old fashioned way - junk yard!

Parts recyclers. Sorry.
  • pq5hpq5h Posts: 1
    My 2006 Toyota Sienna xle limited- 3rd row seats suddenly stopped working last week. Both big and the small seat come out of the well and latch (first part of the opening mechanism), but then fail to open (the two folds-base and the back stay folded). The electronic button makes a beeping noise for few sec and then stops.
    Went to the dealer and wants $1800 to fix the problem. Wants to change the tracks?? if the track were a problem, it would not do the first part of the unfolding ???but then I am not an Auto mechanic. Any ideas???? thanks. I saw a fix posted on the the internet-http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f216b9e-, but I am not sure I understand how they fix it and where the rubber band go? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
  • fibber2fibber2 Mid Hudson Valley, NYPosts: 3,732
    Unfortunate - I didn't see this post until now.

Hate it when dealers lie to customers. Of course the 4 motors are available separately.

Part numbers are: 8580160010 / 8580160020 / 8580160030 / 8580160040 and on line they seem to sell for around $275. But here's the catch: which motor is which? None of the parts diagrams I looked at spell that out clearly!!! I'm leaning towards 8580160010 as the others mention some function and this one is devoid of detail, but that's just a guess.
    Go back a page to post #27, click on the link to the Picasa photo page and follow the sequence of 4 pictures. Basically it looks like they are pulling down on the retainer on the end of the cable.
  • thank you. You saved me $900.00. Dealer want to change the whole car seat frame.
    Thanks
  • It sounds crazy, but it worked like a charm! I've had the same trouble - rear power seat would rise and latch, but the seat back would not come up. Two rubber bands later, everything is fixed.

I will definitely be back to this site when other issues come up. Thank's for saving me a bunch of money!
  • Peggie, thank you SO MUCH. You saved me thousands of dollars! Both rear seats were not working, and I'm not much of a mechanic, but I thought I'd give the rubber bands a try, and after five minutes of work, the seats are just fine. I was first trying to hold that little tab down with a finger, but thought it could get pinched as the seats were powering up and down. Four rubber bands are a GREAT solution.
  • orbob71orbob71 Posts: 1
    The dealers told my brother it would cost $1200.00 When I look at it I thought the lever should be pushed the other way. Thanks for your help 4 rubber bands from my R/C airplnes and 5 minutes they work. I told my brother I would only charge $600.00. Right no pay. LOL
    Thanks agin bob
  • Can You please send me the link to those steps with the 3 Rubber Bands?
    Please send to DeBorinquen@msn.com

Thank You
  • as128as128 Posts: 2
    Hi, I have exactly this same problem, where the drivers seat won't move forward and back. It moves in other directions, but absolutely nothing happens when I try to move it forward or back.

Did you ever figure out exactly which individual motor did the trick?

Thanks!
    Adam
  • as128as128 Posts: 2
    Hi fibber2,
    Did you ever find out exactly which part is it?
    Thanks in advance!
    Adam
    I'm sorry, Adam, but the original poster never came back with any further comment and I didn't come up with any additional documentation about which motor.

My suggestion would be to CAREFULLY place your hand on each motor and see which one never runs when you cycle the power seat controller. You will then likely have to unbolt the seat to gain access for removing the motor, and HOPEFULLY the motor will have the part number on it.
  • Absolutely brilliant. Friggin' Toyota, don't they have enough problems. Followed your directions and it works like a champ. Looks like there is a wire harness that pulls that sensor up. The rubber band fix is pure DIY'ers at their best. Thanks so much for sharing.
2»