Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Outback vs. Accord CrossTour

13»

Comments

• winter2winter2 Posts: 1,796
    edited January 2013
    I own a 2013 Outback Premium. After three months, so far so good. I nearly purchased a Honda CRV but backed away after discovering that Honda is having issues with their automatic transmissions. The issue is that the automatic is out of the Accord and Honda uses this trans in several of their vehicles including the CRV and the Odessey minivan. The issue here is that Honda does not modify the trans to accomodate the extra weight of the minivan nor do they modify the trans to accomodate the extra strain placed on the trans by the AWD system found on the CRV or the Crosstour. This said, the trans fails early due to overheating. I got this info from one Honda dealership and a couple of trans shops. The other issue is that the Honda trans suffer from shiftitis as they continually hunt for the best gear.

The CVT in the 2013 is decent and smooth albeit a bit whiny. It is responsive and Subaru has pretty much done away with the "rubber band" sensation when you demand passing power.
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    It seems that Crosstour fans will disagree......The people that own them say they are excellent, smooth quiet , and the V6 runs smooth as silk...perhaps you are talking about the 4 which would be too small. I personally love the looks of the crosstour...it is more sporty than an outback, even though they are great cars too....I just don't want a wagon look.....I like the sleek look of the hatchback
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,653
    edited January 2013
    Are you going for "looks" or "function?"

If it's looks, well, that's a matter of opinion. I'm not a fan of either the Crosstour or the Outback in terms of styling.

If it's function, the Outback wins hands down. The cargo area is better shaped for large bulky objects. The rear wheel wheel intrusion is less than in the Crosstour, and the rear visibility is far better in the Outback. The Crosstour is big on the outside, but small (relatively speaking) on the inside. Also, AWD is only available on the top-trim model, whereas every Ouctback has AWD. The Outback also has more ground clearance to better cope with deep snow and bad roads.

The Crosstour may (?) be the sportier ride, but Honda is having a very hard time selling them. Most people just don't like the car. The Outback is a far better seller, simply because it makes more sense.

Bob
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,282
    I agree with you on every point made. Neither is particularly attractive, yet one is much more practical.
  • ronnronn Posts: 398
    Thanks guys....i am single, so I don't need much cargo space....I am basically going for the sporty look with small cargo space........I just like the Crosstour because you don't see so many of them...it's different looking, but I think it is attractive......people that have them love them just like the Subaru.......both are reliable vehicles...I really enjoy a hatchback.....had one years ago with a Toyota Celica......
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Guy next door bought one, I'll have to ask him how he likes it.

Before the Crosstour he had a Volvo Cross Country.
  • Ronn

DRIVE these cars, then get back to us.

Big fan of the new V6 / 6spd....the CT got the same powertrain treatment as the new Accord. The drive ain't everything, but its pretty big on my personal list.
13»