Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 or 300,000mile Club?

2»

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    "MY2003 Subaru added a force-limiting clutch to prevent clutch drops, and complaints plunged. "

also good to know
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,268
    Let's see....

First, the head gasket issue came into existence with the introduction of the EJ25 motor. That was 1996 if I recall correctly. In that year, you could get either the 2.2 or the 2.5 in the Outback. In 1997 the Legacy line switched entirely to the 2.5 (dual overhead cam). In 1999, I think, they went from the DOHC to the SOHC motor. From then through early 2003, they actually issued a TSB that covered early head gasket failure and offered up an extended warranty on gasket failures (or some such, I am pulling this all from [foggy] memory!).

They also switched the Impreza over to the 2.5L around the turn of the century, but it was later than the Legacy line. The Forester, which started in 1998, received it from the start. I believe the 1998 MY used the DOHC, but that was the only one.

They still used the same motor from 2003 through 2010 in all models, but they included the "improved" gasket material and came from the factory with the coolant conditioner. While failures are still reported, they are markedly less frequent.

As for my 1996 Outback, I do not have it any longer (wrecked it on Dec 30, 2006), but I had it at 220,000 miles at the time. I replaced the head gaskets at 192,000 miles myself. I don't consider that premature necessarily, but it certainly wasn't long life for a head gasket. Mine were not causing any major issues (such as overheating), but I was getting signs that they were deteriorating. I did not buy it new, though. It had 83,000 miles on it (Aug of 2000), so it is *possible* that the head gaskets were replaced prior to then, but I doubt it judging by the state of the engine, belts, etc., the first time I cracked into it. Everything looked original in there.

You will likely have pretty good luck with anything 2005 or newer, but I would personally want to have a service history on the car, if at all possible.

2002 was the hot-spot for Impreza clutch judder. I think it was material transfer on the clutch plate, which was corrected with revised material. I am almost positive a TSB was issued on that as well, so if it was within warranty, they should have replaced your friend's clutch free of charge. It was a big deal, though, given the problem part. Since everyone drives their clutches differently, dealers were quick to point at the owners as the problem rather than the cars.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    Then a few years later along came the ....darn i forget the name, the bigger car with the sidewindow within a window, one. SRX maybe? They went way upscale and it was an expensive beast. Bigger 6 in it too.

SRX was close (that's actually a Cadillac crossover)...you're referring to the SVX!

It was a very impressive car at the time! I test drove one way back when and it was smooth as silk and looked amazing. The stupid window design was the car's biggest and most obvious flaw...the side windows were fixed and only a smaller half-window would roll down???
    Lots of good info here, thanks much [thumb up]
    Ya that's it! The SVX. Sure was weird what Subie did with the window glass. Somewhere I have an old brochure for that car i think. I wish i could put my hands on it so i could read to you their feature prop proclaiming the virtues of that design. It struck me as something Saab would do...i wonder if anyone knows what i mean and could picture that too?
    edited January 2011
    Been reading a lot of threads on the Sube. Handling is one of the most common likes.

Looks like A/C can be weak spot even on newer ones. They saying the Forester blew colder than the Legacy. Should be the same u would think unless the evap is smaller in the Leg.

What are the heaters like and how fast are they? Having two opposing heads out in the airflow and not sharing heat between them, i wonder if the heater is weaker too?
    Best heater in any car I had was my 88 Camry 4x4 5 spd. Didn't buy it new, and it had no A/C but it was a great car. It went up my hill better than the XT6 did. And i never once had to lock the centre dif. It was a viscous coupling which is still one my fav AWD torque splits. My Vista and Matrix were also viscous. They are simple, cheap, no need for electronics to screw up and would last for tons of miles. In fact i have never heard of one failing has anyone else?
    The XT was handled in the auto tranny (just like today i believe) and manuals were a 50/50 thru the transfer case. The XT reacted slowly and reminded me of the first gen of CRV's. The fr wheels would turn about 2.5 full turns before torque was split. The 04 and newer i believe are very 'right now' so they have improved on that a lot.

Couple random questions..can TControl be turned off in all years and models/trannys of Subes? When it has turned mild and the CRV is chewing thru 4 or 5 " of wet thick heavy snow, (when you need road speed, not crawling) it will NOT go up my hill until i turn TC off. In my opinion, TC is only good for idiots who drive on slippery roads with the stereo loud and cruise set. TC can save u then. Other than that it is a hindrance to forward motion anytime you need all four wheels for traction.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited January 2011
    How many miles on both your cars now? Juice and u?

I sold my 98 Forester with about 90k miles, but it did not have the gasket issues. Our 02 Legacy went nearly as many miles, and we sold that as well, and got another 2009 Forester. It's been fine.

Only issues were an electrical issue we had after rodents chewed up some wires under the hood, but they got our Toyota much worse, to the tune of $700 in wiring harness repairs. I think they replaced a couple of wheel bearings under warranty. All minor stuff considering a cumulative 19 years of Subaru ownership.

My dad still has an 01 Outback, sis has an 03 Forester, bro has an 04 Legacy. My cousin had an older Outback, but sold it when he had his 3rd kid. Not a single bad gasket in the fleet, knock on wood.
    You and Wes and some others here will likely know this, but I have been trying to find out what year (or years among more than one model) did Subaru start to hot galvanize the body sheet metal? Is the floor pan also HG? What about the roof? I am amazed the number of brands that do not HG the roof, yet a stone chip near the edge of a windshield can become a recurring cancerous growth, with so much power it can literally take a perfectly good car off the road? Why? Cuz the rust keeps breaking the windshield, and to have that particular section of a car literally cut out and replaced is next to impossible, especially with any long term results. And of course the cost to do such a repair would be nothing less than huge.

So the moral here is inspect those tiny marks around the windshield edge. Get grease on them before the salt comes or you plan to fix.
    I do think some mfgrs are HG'ing the roofs now too, but not sure which ones.

HG is one of the single most significant advances in deterring rust, since they realized they had to have chassis drain holes here and there back in the 60's.
    I want to say the '90 Legacy got it first, but I'm not sure which specific panels were treated.
    edited January 2011
    Well that is a shocker as I have seen either Leg or OB wagons up here that have real problems with rust and while I am not sure, i did assume they were a lot newer than a 90 or even a 95..

But not as bad as what Mazda had in 02+ with their wheel well lips eh? Talk about a pitiful excuse for rust prevention in relatively new cars. I have seen many but it hit close to home with my old GF's daughter's pride and joy. A white 02 Protege5 wagon. It had holes through the wheel opening lips back in 2008 :(
    Just nicely out of wty even tho she complained prior. They did the old switch and bait put-off saying that particular corrosion wasn't covered for reasons of blah blah blah routine.
    She washed her car often too.
    I cannot remember when they started galvanizing, but I, too, believe it was early '90s. The 95+ Legacy/Outbacks were definitely HG (not sure about the roofs), but yes, there are those that still have rust. The problem is that regardless of the treatment, if you have areas that get salt buildup and remain wet, they will rust. There are many areas that have folded metal, plastic covers, etc., where buildup of dirt, salt, debris, etc., can occur. When that happens, it takes a long time for moisture to dissipate and no time at all for it to find its way in there.

Washing doesn't necessarily help that much because it is a brief hit of large water volume to the exterior and takes the path of least resistance, not that fine spray that happens in rain/snow/slush that can find its way into every nook and cranny - no matter how small.

In places that don't use salt that often (such as interior Alaska), rust on a Subaru that is partial cars running around still, but not many. ;)
    Plus when it's snowing, Subarus are the only cars still driving around. The others are all stranded at home in the garage.

They're just not exposed to as much road salt.
    In places that don't use salt that often (such as interior Alaska), rust on a Subaru that is partial cars running around still, but not many.

Whoa.... I am not sure what happened to that sentence, but there was probably another line worth of text there when I typed it!

I meant to say "...rust on a 20-year-old or less Subaru is pretty much non-existent. There are some older partial cars running around still, but not many." In other words, even in interior Alaska, old Subaru vehicles rust with vigor. :blush:
  • This is one of the worst vehicles I have owned. It needed a new short engine block at approximately 43,000 miles. I have had oil pumps replaced twice, 3 years apart. There have been oil leaks. Now, at 99,000 miles, I have the infamous white smoke blowing from my tailpipe, which may be indicative of the gasket issues many of you have discussed. Unfortunately, I lost my job & can't afford thousands to fix it or buy something new. I have heard about these cars lasting hundreds of thousands of miles but this one will be lucky if it lasts to 100,000. I can tell you when I can buy one though, it won't be a Suburu.
  • sus30sus30 Posts: 1
    I'm the 2nd owner of one of the 30th anniversary SUS models made in 1999. I currently have 231,000miles with no problems other than the everyday in and outs. Only thing that needed a replacement so far was the alternator which is probably due to the high load my set up demands. I hope it can maintain its longevity at least until i can afford a newer Sub
2»