Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Honda Civic

Comments

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Isell, felt the same way as you did about buying a Korean car but after having had one in the family for close to to three years now, I'd buy another tomorrow without hesitation...and we probably will! But. we'd buy another of any of the four different brands that we now own again...maybe not the Honda though! It's gonna be a fun experience though!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    edited September 2011
    See, I personal don't care much about looks, as long it's not ugly (like, sorry, the 2011 Honda Odyssey), and I don't need the Civic to be "fresh", the way it looks today is fine for me, although the interior is rather where it could really use a boost and improvement IMO, especially compared to the newer runners.

But, I recently drove the Hyundai Sonata (not the Elantra, yet), it's not bad at all, but after driving my Civic for the past few years, I would have never considered to change it for a Sonata. The driving experience is much more of an important factor to me than pretty looks, but then again, some features I do need and appreciate them. Again, I am not asking here for heated rear seats, and not demanding overly complicated touch screens as recent Fords with Sync systems. I actually do appreciate the simplicity of the Civic's controls, in oppose to other Honda's that are being criticized for button cluttered dash.

Once again I state my opinion, if Honda want to succeed, I recommend survey your customers, and listen to what they ask for! Easiest, cheapest way to do some good research.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I don't care much about looks either and given today's safety standards, it's difficult to make very many styling changes.

And I don't care much anyway. It's a CAR and not an expression of myself.

I believe Honda will continue as the market leader but they better be aware of the competition that has emerged recently.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I believe Honda will continue as the market leader...

Which market does Honda lead? Not the USA market.
    What outsells Civics in that class of cars?
    I've got a good feeling that in the next few years, the Elantra may just take over that crown from the Civic...from the reviews I've read, the car is just that good! And once they get their supply problems under control, things are gonna change. Probably Hyundai's biggest problems with the Elantra right now is that the demand far outweighs the supply, so many folks can't just drive one off the lot. This pent up demand will eventually equalize once the supply catches up and then there should be plenty of all models for buyers to have a choice. Honda should be very worried actually...they are no longer the benchmark they once always were.

A shame that they didn't do more with the 2012 model to get the buzz the Elantra is getting. I know I was very impressed just sitting in the showroom in one...if things were different, I'd of bought one then and there!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

YTD, both the Cruze and Corolla have outsold the Civic.

Anyway, you didn't say "Civic". You said "Honda".
    Part of that reason is because they sell them to the rental car companies en masse with is something Honda has never done.

Also, the Japan earthquake REALLY hurt production. Honda is struggling to provide inventory right now and they are still far behind.
    Toyota is based in Japan also.
    I've finally come to the conclusion that there can be problems with every make and model of car...no car or company is immune from some sort of problem. The way the car company handles the "problem" is what really matters. Just because sometimes the resolution is not what the consumer would like doesn't make the whole company & every one of their products inherently bad...some common sense on both sides needs to be used here! I've had three warranty issues with my '06 Civic over the years and sure, it's a p i a to get it resolved sometimes, but it doesn't make the whole car/company bad. With any mechanical thing made up of thousands of parts, put together by people & machines, the parts coming from different sources over time, some problems are bound to happen. I'm going through a a/c compressor issue right now that makes the car blow out warmish air is very annoying, especially with the low mileage on the car. But I'm not going to trash the whole Honda lineup and all Civics as being a horrible car, that is just sort of silly actually. I don't know exactly how Honda will handle the problem yet so to jump off the handle with silly remarks doesn't make much sense. No matter what happens, the Civic is still a fine car and the numbers speak volumes about it.

I tend to be somewhat on the logical side and look at life as 1/2 full even though these past 6 or so years have been pretty bad for our family & myself. But I tend to look for the good in things so I'm not gonna stress about this situation yet. In the scheme of things, there are so many more things to stress about in life. Being negative takes a lot of wasted energy which can be used for other positive things. So sure, I'm annoyed that I might have to spend a large amount of $ to fix the problem, but if Honda decides to help out with some of it will be a happy bonus. And if not, I still have to fix the a/c especially living in South Florida. Such is life! :)

I am,

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

Exactly!

I applaud your outlook on life!
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    I have been driving a new base model and paying heck of lease. mileage on the av is around 40mpg combined. Despite people's warning of bad build quality, i took the chance:(

This is 2nd Honda Civic of the family and 4th Honda. We own a 2010civic Si sedan and thought it was redemption getting a hybrid now.

Lets cut it short, THIS CAR NOR ANY CIVIC Has central console around CD, SET UP< phone, etc, no BACK LIGHT:( lol, that is preposterously unacceptable and simply dangerous and criminal, esp while driving at night time.

How Honda could do that? I think they are up for total dissolution the way they have been going with their cars, an arrogant, big [non-permissible content removed] hole company:(

Honestly if I would have picked on that and known would never buy it:(

Imho, Honda should issue voluntary RECALL and fix this flaw for every one.

In the mean time can some one advise me from where to start the complaint, calls, letters, e mails in Honda motor company Hierarchy as I am not leaving this alone this is simply UNACCEPTABLE!
    What are you talking about? Your post is a bit confusing so please explain it a bit more so we can understand what your gripe is? The 3rd paragraph is particularly confusing! I am,

The Confused Sandman :confuse: :sick: :shades:

• zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    I am unhappy and sad too:( I called up American honda and told them my concerns and their possible safety implications, requesting to recall and fix it for all civics(2012).

**PS: 2012 Honda civic 4dr sedan( I have a hybrid) does not have a backlit central console around the CD area, above the AC and Fan display so at night you cant see any buttons, and CD slot.( Radio, CD, Phone, Set up). This can be very highly potentially distracting and can cause accidents or be safety hazard.

I was seeking advise from readers that what is the best approach to raise questions or approach for your potential safety concerns? American Honda only or is there a TRAFFIC safety agency too?

Thanks.

I hope I made my self clear this time. I apologize for confusing writing. :mad:
  • radioedmundsradioedmunds Member Posts: 2
    Biggest problem with Elantra is it is not coming close to the EPA "estimate" MPG (check out their Edmunds board). Owners are complaining they cannot achieve 35mpg on highway, let alone the 40mpg.

While Civic owners routinely see 40mpg on highway (I can get 45-50mpg highway, as long as the road is fairly straight and clear).
  • radioedmundsradioedmunds Member Posts: 2
    Honda Civic and Accord had inventory problems (particuarly the LX trims) due to the computers supplied from Japan. Corolla did not have supply issues.

Both Toyota and Honda actually assemble the cars in North America (Honda's Indiana plant was voted top 3 in the world). But the computers for Accord, Civic and the Prius come from Japan. Corolla I don't think has had any supply problems (their compuer sux, probably made in China), and probably has had the complete opposite in over supply.

You can confirm with a Toyota dealer, they have been discounting the Corolla through Costco all summer. They were offering me over $2k off in July. At the same time I couldn't find any Civic LX or Prius's back then. They would sell same day they hit the lot.
  • davit_62davit_62 Member Posts: 10
    Time to replace my 1997 Accord LX. Considering the Civic for fuel eco but hate to loose the handling of the double-wishbone in my Accord. Understand Honda changed to McPherson strut on the Civic many years ago to save cost. Did the handling suffer by the switch? Also, is there any alignment problem with the Civic McPherson. I had dread experience with 80's Toyota McPherson for tire wore out unevenly. I had to do alignment every 30K miles. On the Accord, I have not done once and never had uneven tire wear problem. I really hate to give up this feature.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    They promised a redesigned '14 Civic in beginning of 2013, ahead of schedule.
    Honda simply blew it with the 2012 Civic...calling it ugly is being too kind! It needs a complete redo from inside out...not just what they did to the Accord from model year 2005 to 2006...but a complete redo. If the new Sentra & Corolla is as nice as the Elantra, Honda will really be up a creek in this segment. So far, I've seen about 5 2012 Civic's out there on the streets...it is not selling well. And to go back down to 15" wheels for the mid level LX was just plain stupid...go back to the 16" wheels and call it a day.

If Honda is as smart a company as I know they are, this shouldn't be to difficult for them to accomplish. Take a look at the Elantra interior and use that as a guide...it's very driver oriented. As a Civic owner, I wish them luck in fixing a truly market blunder!

Ugly? I've seen the new Civic a few times on the road and I don't think it's ugly at all. Nothing revolutionary, but then that's not Honda's way with their sedans.

Now the dashboard... that could use some improvement, IMO. If Honda spends any money on a near-term upgrade, that's where I think they should put it. And maybe bring back the precise handling feel of Civics of yore. I haven't driven the new Civic but have read several professional reviews that compare it to a Buick. And not in a flattering way.
  • sxeansxean Member Posts: 1
    lol a Buick ? It can't be that bad. The new Hyundai's look nice, but the styling will get dated. Honda's styling, however, is timeless. Look at yesteryears styling, and notice it still looks trendy today. I own a Honda Accord Hatchback wagon, and people still compliment it's conservative yet aerodynamic styling !
    As I said, I don't have any problem with the exterior styling of the Civic.

But the dash... I wouldn't use the term "timeless". I'd use the term "cheap". One thing your Honda Accord wagon has going for it was excellent interior materials quality for its class, and time. The new Civic... sorry, not in the same league as several others in its class.
    Not this new generation, maybe the last one that I own but the new one...no way. By the way, Honda called today and will pay for 1/2 my recent a/c repair...great news and I told the guy thanks so much. Honda stepped up to the plate and it was the right thing to do. "If ya don't ask, ya don't get"...I asked for all & I got 1/2, still good in my eyes. I am pleased! I am,

• nancymj58nancymj58 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2012 Civic in October. I previously owned a 2002 Civic, which one of my kids is now driving. But when I drive the new car, it gives me backaches. I've never had back problems before. I swapped with the kid for a week and went back to driving the old car -- the back problems completely disappeared. As soon as I started driving the new car again, I had back pain again. I bought a wedge-shaped seat cushion at Wal-Mart which helps somewhat -- reduces the back pain, but the car still hurts my back. I'm already planning on trading it in as soon as I won't take a bath on it. Can anyone suggest a seat cushion that will help? Or anything else? I'm 5 feet 1 inches tall, and I think maybe that's part of the problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • blairlockoutblairlockout Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I have a 97 civic and have never had uneven tire wear.
    Oklahoma City Locksmith
  • hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2011
    I just read the yahoo article on the failing new Civic. It's nice to see the company is getting the recognition it deserves! When Honda was on top putting out quality automobiles the reviews & slaes showed. Now that the 2012 Civic falls on its face with reduced interior quality, recall due to fuel leaks & a dated exterior (the back end reminds me of the early 2000's Camry) it's only right they go back to the drawing board. Why would anyone buy a 2012 Civic when you can get a higher rated car in the same class for much cheaper? And the last question, why would ANYONE buy a 2012 Civic with a newly improved design Civic right around the corner?!?! I've owned 5 Honda's with my current one being an 06 Accord. I will gladly buy a Hyundai, Kia, or Toyota if Honda does not start giving more for the buck! But, at 119k the car is paid off and still running strong! If I can get 200k, it should be around 2019 when I buy again :shades:
  • robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    We are very happy with our 2009 EXL Navi Civic! Unfortunately we cannot bring ourselves to replace it with the 2012. We think Honda has really lost its way and it shows on the Civic. Totall cheap out on the interior>> by removing the little triaglular windows by the windshield. putting a divider on the front driver and passenger door windows so they can use cheaper glass!. This car is as noisy as anything I have ever ridden in. I also had this issue on the 09 but spend big dough to have sound proofing put in the doors, and floors. Even the Hyundia Elantra is better than this! No six speed auto either! We already gave up on the Accord and traded our 07 for another brand. Now we are done with the Civic! Prior to this we have had 9 Hondas. Imagine Hyundia leading the way. Who wouldaa thuink?
    Absolutely agree...there is no Honda product right now that I'd consider buying so plan to keep my current Civic for a long, long time. Have been testing new cars for the wife and so far there's not much out there to like. The Fiesta was horrible and the Focus wasn't much better...didn't like the acceleration or much else really, so we've crossed Ford off the list. The Jetta drove nicely but don't see a German car in our garage any time soon. I like the Hyundai twins, Accent & Elantra, and our kids '08 Accent has been a joy to own. She will go test drive these soon to see how she likes them. She already has a Mazda3 and I tested the new SkyActive I Touring and was very impressed. But to have a very similar car for the next 6 or so years is something to think about.

The car I'm most excited about is the new Buick Verano, much nicer than the Cruze, found the Cruze seats rock hard and very uncomfortable. But think the Verano will hit her sweet spot and it also has the larger 4 cylinder engine that she likes. No Subies here...don't need or want all wheel drive and the Mitsu/Suzuki rides are just..., well not for us. The new Sentra or Corolla is still months away also. So we'll just have to wait and see. Did some maintenance on the Mazda3 last week so think we're good to go for another year as the bottom line here is we just don't want to buy a new car yet! As much as I love cars, just not ready to buy anything. So we'll save the money and wait. Hopefully 2013 will be the year for us. :)

• ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....a test drive of the 2012 Civic Si coupe (which looks like the little brother of my J30a4 Accord 6M coupe) was actually rather pleasant - if not as smooth as the V-6, the 4 cylinder moves out rather well per C&D magazine numbers.

My current Honda has - speaking for me now - set the bar way up there. I am really hoping the decision makers at HMC give us a winner with the GenIX Accord.

all the best, ez....
  • nancymj58nancymj58 Member Posts: 4
    I'm replying to my own post, but I found The Seat Solution, a wedge-shaped orthopedic cushion at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $15 that makes the Civic's seat much more comfortable. While it is not pleasant to sit on a cushion and at times I still get a bit of backache, I can at least drive the car to work and back, which means I won't have to trade it in and take a bath on it.
  • dragontoothdragontooth Member Posts: 2
    We also have a new civic lx and find the seats to be the most comfortable we found of all the compact cars we tested. Our previous car was a 2004 Camry which also had wonderful seats and we feel the Honda seats are pretty much the same. We especially like the lumbar support. To each his own I suppose.
    I have pretty severe spinal issues and have been using a cushion from the Relax The Back store for years now and it's a G-d send. It's made of that foamy bed material and I can now sit in any car comfortably for long periods of time. A bit more pricey than the B B & B one that you have but very comfortable.

• robtroxelrobtroxel Member Posts: 103
    Good points! I am considering the Verano too mainly because of the triple sealed doors and heavier window glass. I'm not liking the retail sticker prices loaded with Nav but we will see what the real prices are this summer. One way or the other, there are no Civics on our radar.
  • frank790frank790 Member Posts: 2
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    If you don't need to drive the car for a few days you can disconnect the battery for 4 days, then reconnect it. It the car does not start it is a bad battery. If it does start you may have an electrical drain somewhere - trunk light etc.
  • newcar45newcar45 Member Posts: 15
    Hi everyone,

I just got a 2012 Civic LX and the dealer told me that you can upload 3 pictures onto the info screen. I just skimmed through the manual (lazy, I know), but I didn't find anything mentioning that.

Disappointed to hear that it hasn't been getting great reviews and will probably be changed within a few years, but I like my purchase so far.
  • tmont562tmont562 Member Posts: 11
    Honda plans to have an upgraded 2012 by the end of 2012 due to all the negative reviews. However, those of us who already purchased the 2012 are stuck with what we bought. Good luck to us when it comes time to sell. Who is going to want to buy 2012 Civic version one with all the negative reviews when they can purchase the upgraded versions.
    Don't drive your civic for 4 days and then see if it starts. Good-luck!
    edited January 2012
    Like frank790, I also own a 2012 Honda Civic (non-hybrid) and the same thing happened to me. I've been really sick and therefore home bound for about 7 days. I finally felt well enough to go to my doctor's yesterday only to discover that my car wouldn't start. Nothing worked. Today my friend jump started it and let it run for awhile. I called the dealership where I purchased my car and spoke with the "supervising" service manager who informed me that after 3-4 days the battery starts to run down due to the 24/7 electrical scanning that is automatically performed behind the scenes. The service manager confirmed this applies to all new Hondas, not just the Civic. So we're supposed to drive our cars for at least 30 minutes every 3 days; otherwise, the battery dies or starts to die. I asked what about when I go out of town or on vacation, etc. Response I received was something about attaching what I believe frank790 referred to in his post. Of course, the salespeople don't tell the customers about this running down of the battery. This is absolutely ludicrous and unacceptable. I curse the day I bought this car or I should say a Honda. I am more than disgusted!!! Is there an agency we can report this to? Maybe if enough complaints get filed, Honda will do something about this stupid problem.
    When you are able, don't drive your car for 4-6 days, then see if it starts. If it does, congratulations! If not, please call your dealer's service center to see what explanation they give. Good-luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    If you recently considered a hybrid but decided on a fuel-efficient non-hybrid instead, please email [email protected] by Friday, February 3, 2011 to share your story.
    Please include your daytime contact information and a few words about the decision you made.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I have a 2012 Honda Civic (non-hybrid). After 6 days of not driving my car, I found that my battery was dead. It recharged ok but I called my dealer service dept anyway. I spoke with the supervising service manager. He told me that at about the 3-4 day of not driving, all new 2012 Honda batteries will start to drain due to all the electrical scanning that is performed behind the scenes even when the car is turned off. I was told that I must drive or let the car run every 3 days. This is unacceptable. I called Honda Corp customer service and was told that they had not heard of any such problems, and even worse that they don't keep track of the subject matter of customers' calls. I am going to try to contact someone at Honda Corp tech/engineering dept.

Everyone who is having or have had this problem needs to call Honda Corp. If all else fails, all local Honda owners who have experienced this problem should meet-up at Honda Corp Hdqtrs in Torrance, CA and demand to speak with the President. Maybe even call the media to join us.

Those interested, please respond to this post. We can't let these big corporations take advantage of us hard-working people who spent our money on their supposedly reliable products.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    2012 Honda Civic and Accord Battery Drain

No need to repeat posts that are already there, but please do continue to report if you've experienced the issue, and any explanations/resolutions proposed to you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• arthur16arthur16 Member Posts: 2
    Hybrids are a "green-washing" farce and uneconomical.

A good efficient internal combustion engine on a well designed chassis , like the Civic's, with 5 speed computerized automatic, is the way to go if you run the numbers.on fuel consumption and economics.
    Most people don't.

A hybrid costs more, has dirty batteries that are an environmental hazard , depreciates more than the gas Civic and the gas model will be resold in under a decade easily at a good market price. The batteries on the hybrid will need replacement in 8 years , and the electronic complexity is prone to more failure.It depreciates faster according to the numbers.
    In my opinion,Hybrids ara a feel good farce with today's technology.
    Micro diesels anyone?
    Rely on the real math, run the numbers, buy a modern gasoline car , even at 6 bucks a gallon!
    ...with 5 speed computerized automatic, ...

I'll take a 6 speed auto if I can get it... or a slick 6 speed manual if it has a tall 6th for relaxed highway cruising. Unfortunately, neither is available, at least not on "regular" Civics. Many Civic competitors offer one or both of these trannies now.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    edited March 2012
    for economy the 6 manual is the way to go, but the 5 on the civic should still beat the automatic.
  • chuck2011chuck2011 Member Posts: 19
    I really don't like the 2012 civic as it looks very staid, like a car an old person would buy. The rear end looks like an older camry...waiting to see what the next version looks like and hoping that some better designers were hired.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking for a car shopper who thinks 40 MPG is a requisite before they buy. If you have recently shopped for a car, and you have only considered cars that get 40 MPG, and you are willing to share your story with a reporter, please contact [email protected] with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at noon Pacific/3 p.m. Eastern.
  • dragontoothdragontooth Member Posts: 2
    My Civic came with Firestone Affinity tires which I feel are harsh and noisy. I'd like to replace them with Hancook Optima 727s which by experience are smooth and quiet. Has anyone found a better tire for their Civic?
    edited October 2012
    I just put on Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval A S tires back in August and have been pretty satisfied with them overall...wish the tread was a bit meatier but got an o k price otd. Was at the tire shop on Friday and noticed they no longer display the tire anymore, so I suspect they discontinued them. I originally wanted the closeout Bridgestone G019's(?), but my mechanic said the Firehawk was a better tire overall, so I took his advice. Since I don't drive much anymore and am not quite at 34.5k miles yet after over 6 years of ownership, I'm hoping that these will be the last ones I buy for this car. Anticipate that by 2016, I'll be ready to replace my Civic. And I know this car will be great till then and beyond.

(P.S. I put the latest version of the Affinity tires on my wife's Mazda and my daughter's Versa and they have been great. Stopped by Tires Plus earlier to have them check the Mazda's air pressure and even the tech commented on how well they are wearing. I find them to be pretty quiet also.)