Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Honda Civic

123457»

Comments

• We also have a new civic lx and find the seats to be the most comfortable we found of all the compact cars we tested. Our previous car was a 2004 Camry which also had wonderful seats and we feel the Honda seats are pretty much the same. We especially like the lumbar support. To each his own I suppose.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,816
    I have pretty severe spinal issues and have been using a cushion from the Relax The Back store for years now and it's a G-d send. It's made of that foamy bed material and I can now sit in any car comfortably for long periods of time. A bit more pricey than the B B & B one that you have but very comfortable.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• robtroxelrobtroxel Posts: 103
    Good points! I am considering the Verano too mainly because of the triple sealed doors and heavier window glass. I'm not liking the retail sticker prices loaded with Nav but we will see what the real prices are this summer. One way or the other, there are no Civics on our radar.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    If you don't need to drive the car for a few days you can disconnect the battery for 4 days, then reconnect it. It the car does not start it is a bad battery. If it does start you may have an electrical drain somewhere - trunk light etc.
  • Hi everyone,

I just got a 2012 Civic LX and the dealer told me that you can upload 3 pictures onto the info screen. I just skimmed through the manual (lazy, I know), but I didn't find anything mentioning that.

Disappointed to hear that it hasn't been getting great reviews and will probably be changed within a few years, but I like my purchase so far.
  • Honda plans to have an upgraded 2012 by the end of 2012 due to all the negative reviews. However, those of us who already purchased the 2012 are stuck with what we bought. Good luck to us when it comes time to sell. Who is going to want to buy 2012 Civic version one with all the negative reviews when they can purchase the upgraded versions.
  • Don't drive your civic for 4 days and then see if it starts. Good-luck!
  • tmont562tmont562 Posts: 11
    edited January 2012
    Like frank790, I also own a 2012 Honda Civic (non-hybrid) and the same thing happened to me. I've been really sick and therefore home bound for about 7 days. I finally felt well enough to go to my doctor's yesterday only to discover that my car wouldn't start. Nothing worked. Today my friend jump started it and let it run for awhile. I called the dealership where I purchased my car and spoke with the "supervising" service manager who informed me that after 3-4 days the battery starts to run down due to the 24/7 electrical scanning that is automatically performed behind the scenes. The service manager confirmed this applies to all new Hondas, not just the Civic. So we're supposed to drive our cars for at least 30 minutes every 3 days; otherwise, the battery dies or starts to die. I asked what about when I go out of town or on vacation, etc. Response I received was something about attaching what I believe frank790 referred to in his post. Of course, the salespeople don't tell the customers about this running down of the battery. This is absolutely ludicrous and unacceptable. I curse the day I bought this car or I should say a Honda. I am more than disgusted!!! Is there an agency we can report this to? Maybe if enough complaints get filed, Honda will do something about this stupid problem.
  • When you are able, don't drive your car for 4-6 days, then see if it starts. If it does, congratulations! If not, please call your dealer's service center to see what explanation they give. Good-luck!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    If you recently considered a hybrid but decided on a fuel-efficient non-hybrid instead, please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, February 3, 2011 to share your story.
    Please include your daytime contact information and a few words about the decision you made.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have a 2012 Honda Civic (non-hybrid). After 6 days of not driving my car, I found that my battery was dead. It recharged ok but I called my dealer service dept anyway. I spoke with the supervising service manager. He told me that at about the 3-4 day of not driving, all new 2012 Honda batteries will start to drain due to all the electrical scanning that is performed behind the scenes even when the car is turned off. I was told that I must drive or let the car run every 3 days. This is unacceptable. I called Honda Corp customer service and was told that they had not heard of any such problems, and even worse that they don't keep track of the subject matter of customers' calls. I am going to try to contact someone at Honda Corp tech/engineering dept.

Everyone who is having or have had this problem needs to call Honda Corp. If all else fails, all local Honda owners who have experienced this problem should meet-up at Honda Corp Hdqtrs in Torrance, CA and demand to speak with the President. Maybe even call the media to join us.

Those interested, please respond to this post. We can't let these big corporations take advantage of us hard-working people who spent our money on their supposedly reliable products.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    2012 Honda Civic and Accord Battery Drain

No need to repeat posts that are already there, but please do continue to report if you've experienced the issue, and any explanations/resolutions proposed to you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Hybrids are a "green-washing" farce and uneconomical.

A good efficient internal combustion engine on a well designed chassis , like the Civic's, with 5 speed computerized automatic, is the way to go if you run the numbers.on fuel consumption and economics.
    Most people don't.

A hybrid costs more, has dirty batteries that are an environmental hazard , depreciates more than the gas Civic and the gas model will be resold in under a decade easily at a good market price. The batteries on the hybrid will need replacement in 8 years , and the electronic complexity is prone to more failure.It depreciates faster according to the numbers.
    In my opinion,Hybrids ara a feel good farce with today's technology.
    Micro diesels anyone?
    Rely on the real math, run the numbers, buy a modern gasoline car , even at 6 bucks a gallon!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    ...with 5 speed computerized automatic, ...

I'll take a 6 speed auto if I can get it... or a slick 6 speed manual if it has a tall 6th for relaxed highway cruising. Unfortunately, neither is available, at least not on "regular" Civics. Many Civic competitors offer one or both of these trannies now.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    edited March 2012
    for economy the 6 manual is the way to go, but the 5 on the civic should still beat the automatic.
  • chuck2011chuck2011 Posts: 19
    I really don't like the 2012 civic as it looks very staid, like a car an old person would buy. The rear end looks like an older camry...waiting to see what the next version looks like and hoping that some better designers were hired.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,963
    A reporter is looking for a car shopper who thinks 40 MPG is a requisite before they buy. If you have recently shopped for a car, and you have only considered cars that get 40 MPG, and you are willing to share your story with a reporter, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, April 24, 2012 at noon Pacific/3 p.m. Eastern.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• My Civic came with Firestone Affinity tires which I feel are harsh and noisy. I'd like to replace them with Hancook Optima 727s which by experience are smooth and quiet. Has anyone found a better tire for their Civic?
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,816
    edited October 2012
    I just put on Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval A S tires back in August and have been pretty satisfied with them overall...wish the tread was a bit meatier but got an o k price otd. Was at the tire shop on Friday and noticed they no longer display the tire anymore, so I suspect they discontinued them. I originally wanted the closeout Bridgestone G019's(?), but my mechanic said the Firehawk was a better tire overall, so I took his advice. Since I don't drive much anymore and am not quite at 34.5k miles yet after over 6 years of ownership, I'm hoping that these will be the last ones I buy for this car. Anticipate that by 2016, I'll be ready to replace my Civic. And I know this car will be great till then and beyond.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

(P.S. I put the latest version of the Affinity tires on my wife's Mazda and my daughter's Versa and they have been great. Stopped by Tires Plus earlier to have them check the Mazda's air pressure and even the tech commented on how well they are wearing. I find them to be pretty quiet also.)

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• I "was" a die-hard Honda person, as my last car was an '06 Civic and '04 CR-V before that. I thought my next car would be another Honda. I looked at Hondas and felt they were over priced for the ammenities being offered, some of which were outdated i.e., transmission. I purchased the 2013 Elantra PZEV-GLS. Below are just some my reasons for that decision. The standard features offered in the Elantra for a lower price tag, versus having to upgrade to the EX/EX-L levels to acquire some of the same features, just weren't worth the additional cost.

Elantra vs. Civic Sedans - Standard Features (note: there are features offered in the coupes, not offered in the Sedans)

Elantra: 1. 6-speed transmission (both AT and MT) Offered since 2011
    2. 4-disk brakes
    3. Heated front seats (cloth) on GLS Model - Great on cold
    mornings/days and they heat up in about 30 seconds, vs. having to
    wait til the engine temperature has generated enough heat to heat
    the interior cabin.
    3b. Heated front AND back seats - leather offered in the Limited
    model.
    4. Heated outside mirrors - great features on cold/moist mornings.
    5. External Temperature Display
    6. Rear Seat center arm rest w/ cup hold
    7. 172 watt stereo, SiriusXM radio (90-day trial offer) 6 Speakers
    8. Double Overhead Cam (DOHC) with 145hp in the Practical Zero
    Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) California only. Non-California/PZEV
    models have 148hp
    9. 5yr/60k mile standard warranty. 10yr/100k mile drive train
    warranty
    10. Intermittent wipers w/ variable speed in the "mist" function
    11. Interior quality - overall better quality materials used.

Civic: 1. 5-speed transmission (both AT and MT) - 6-speed M/T SI-model only
    2. Front disk/rear drum on DX/LX - 4 disk offered on EX/SI models only
    3. Heated seats on EX-L (leather) only
    4. Heated outside mirrors - not offered
    5. External Temperature Display - not offered.
    6. Rear seat center arm rest - offered in EX/EX-L
    7. 160 watt stereo in the Sedans, 4-Speakers - LX, 6-Speakers - EX
    The Civic Coupe offers a 360 watt system. Why does Honda think
    that those who drive sedans wouldn't appreciate a power stereo
    system?
    8. Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) - 140hp for LX/EX/EX-L Gas models.
    Horsepower differs for the Hybrid and SI models.
    9. 3yr/36k mile standard warranty. 5yr/60k drive train warranty.
    10. Intermittent wipers - only 1 variable speed for "mist" offered in LX -
    variable speed "mist" option in EX/EX-L
    11. Interior quality downgraded in the 2012, in comparison from
    previous model years - preferred the interior quality of my '06 Civic.
    The dash in the 2012 had a shiney, cheap look to it - preferred my
    dash in my '06. They also did away with the moveable cover over
    the center cupholders which I felt gave it a more polished look, not
    to mention provided another area to conceal frequently used items.

Okay, so here are just a few of the items that stood out to me in comparing the Elantra to the Civic. Also, some here have mentioned the mileage discrepancy issue. I recall when I purchased my '06 civic the EPA was 30city/40hwy. It took about 10k for me to really see the car achieve and actually surpass that EPA mileage. I actually averaged mid 30s for city/hwy and achieved 47.8 mpg straight hwy on roadtrips. So, with that said, I expect to achieve and surpass the EPA mileage (even though Hyundai/Kia mileage has been reprimanded for over-estimating the mileage). The EPA mileage sticker on my Elantra stated 29/city, 40/hwy - AVERAGE 33 mpg. I achieved 31.9 my first tank fill-up. I use my ECO button, and my cruise control as often as possible. I'm also not a lead foot, so I don't do hard start/stops, thus I'm able to maximize my mileage. I expect achieve the 33 mpg city/hwy and meet if not exceed the 40mpg hwy on roadtrips. Just my two cents, hope you find it useful.
  • martin13martin13 Posts: 21
    A new and supposedly perfectly good car shouldn't do that.

I have AAA in case of breakdown, but didn't buy my 2012 Civic to worry whether is starts or not.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    My oil life monitor shows me how much life is left in my oil in a percentage. But when I go to my maintenance info screen I have it showing "A" which means change oil only....and a 1... meaning rotate the tires.

This was at around 5,500 miles when I firs noticed the"A". BUT, my oil life indicator is showing 40% life left at 6,400 miiles (the current mileage) How can this be folks????? Is this car bipolar? So does anyone know whats going on with that? One screen is telling me to change the oil, and another screen is saying I have about 4,000 miles left before I need to change the oil. :confuse:
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    How is your 2012 Civics a/c performance? Mine seems as it isn't getting cold enough.
  • martin13martin13 Posts: 21
    Doesn't seem to be a problem - I live in FLA where things get pretty toasty. Have recently tinted windows. Can't imagine a newer car having AC problems this soon.
123457»