Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Honda Civic

Comments

• imscfimscf Posts: 34
    The previous Civic tested by CU before the redesign was the EX. This time for 2012, they tested the LX. Not a fair comparison.
  • I traded in my 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid with 32,000 miles for a 2012 Honda Civic LX. I paid $1,500 plus TTL. What I lost is the 44mpg, automatic AC and disc brakes. What I gain is the worry free power train (no battery fluctuation any more), more power and 5 miles on the ODO.
    The car drives better than 2009 on Highway.
  • jocollijocolli Posts: 8
    Yes. Honda still sells the DX Civics. My son totaled out my commuter car - '04 Accord with 175,000 trouble free miles and I was in need of a replacement Honda. We are one of those total Honda families. S2000, Odyssey, and Craftsman lawn mower with Honda engine round out our "powered by Honda" fleet. I originally agreed to buy the 2012 Civic DX based on promises from the dealer to install an air conditioner. My statement should have been, "it is sad Honda would build such a bland, uncomfortable....car that can't be made more comfortable with the addition of an air conditioner."

Anyway, the dealer called all its channels. Honda had not approved the addition of A/C on a DX model in July 2012. I needed a commuter car and the dealer only had 3 Civics and a lot of CRVs. The Civics included 2 DXs and a Civic Coupe EX. So, the dealer agreed to tear up the purchase contract on the DX and apply my down payment on the Coupe EX. Dealer's Sales Department kept a happy customer. Too bad their Service Department did their best to run off a customer....But, that's another post.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,347
    That was news to me! Why Honda would contunue to build cars that nobody wants is beyond me especially if A/C can't be installed.

I'm surprised you didn't just buy an LX instead of jumping to an EX.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Honda messed up a little by not studying the competition well enough.

The Civic is still a very good car. It’s just that the competition is now just as good, or at least “almost” as good, and is much cheaper, and gives you so much more for your money.

It’s un-excusable for Honda to include Bluetooth in the top-of-the-line EX model only (which itself features only a striped down version of bluetooth, where the phonebook does not download to your vehicle); and heated mirrors are not even there, only if you choose EX PLUS leather. And so is the outside temperature gauge which is pretty standard across the board today in most competitors vehicles; and variable wiper settings, disk brakes, and so on..

I am not even asking the heated rear seats or much more advanced navigation system as in the Elantra, and I will not complain on the poor interior, both by design and quality, while the Chevy Cruze is much ahead in that regard, and even the new Focus is so much better (for quality I speak, the design of the Focus is too complicated and uncomfortable IMO). But Honda must lower the prices, and add more content to give you more for your money.

I have the 2009 Civic, and it’s the best steering I’ve ever had, and I’ve driven already many many cars. Why Honda changed (aka "improved"...) that excellent steering, which was praised everywhere, is beyond me.

The Civic has many changes for the worse in the 2012 model. Among them: No more sliding cover for the cup holders, which will now be always exposed. The 2009 was much better both in better looking and the ability to close the cover and keep stuff on top of it. They also removed the few scarce storage bins that was in the 2009 models. There is almost nowhere to put anything. What a shame.

The door pulls is also disappointing. I was hoping they will have something fully open, vertically aligned, similar to the Elantra, or the Honda CR-V. Nice, comfy door pull handle, which can be also be used while driving and your hands/fingers are in a very comfortable position.

Where most competitors offer, at least optional, a remote starter, Honda never offered anything of this kind of feature.

I think Honda got a "wake-up" call from Consumer Reports. And for those who say the only difference is because now it’s the "LX" model, sorry but that’s a very poor excuse! First of all, it can’t be true, and second, if it is true, then it’s still a shame that the LX model should be so poor, and rated lower than all competitors and be on the bottom of the list (with the exception of the Jetta).
    So, you think Honda should add features that are of little importance to most people and lower prices at the same time?

It's a tough balance. A lot of the features that you mentioned are of little value to a lot of people and all of these things cost money.

It wouldn't take too many of these features to create a 30,000 dollar Civic!
    edited September 2011
    Yup! After all what the competition does, it's important for Honda to move forward, and not ask high prices just for the sake of the name Honda.

Most people, when coming from other manufacturers to Honda, they're usually impressed of the excellent driving dynamics (or at least they "used to be"), but on the other hand disappointed of all the ("un-important") featured they're used to. Honda's way of feature content is absurd. The first feature is usually a Sunroof. Who the heck needs a sunroof rather than, say, heated mirrors which is pretty standard today and such a safety, useful feature? Or Bluetooth?

Honda can do it. They just need to realize that the market is changing, and play according to that. I'm not asking here for "special" features, like rear heated seats which is offered on the Hyundai Elantra; Or signal mirrors and other mostly useless stuff. But heated mirrors? Bluetooth? And even outside temperature gauge? Most people will cry about it when missing, and even Consumer Reports, which usually ignores features, keeps repeating that Honda is behind with todays newer standards.

I own now a Honda Civic which I love. It's the best driving car I've ever had. I want so much for Honda to succeed. Please Honda, do some research, send some surveys to your own customers, listen what they have to say, and do whatever you can to keep them as customers. Don't let others swallow you. Our satisfaction is your success!!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    edited September 2011
    The new Civic is nice but not class leading like the Elantra, Focus or even the Cruze. Honda really needed to hit a grand slam here, instead, they hit a solid hit to 2nd base...nothing earth shattering about it. The LX went back down to 15" tires...wtf? Honda's interior materials are just mediocre, ther whole car is! It doesn't look fresh like it did back in '06, just gets lost in the crowd. No bluetooth or anything like Ford's infosystem is a major faux paus...the dash looks tired compared to the Elantra's...even the new Cruze I sat in a couple of weeks ago had a nice dash and controls than the Civic.

Right now we're about to start our search for a new vehicle and the wife won't even look at the new Civic as the competition has gotten that much better. It's a real shame since I really wanted her to consider one but even she feels the competition has gotten that much better. Honda seems to have lost it's way and it can't live on it's stellar reputation forever not with products like the Elantra and Focus/Cruze already in the lead & Honda now has to wait another 5 years just to play catch up!

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

A lot of features are "stuff" that few people want such as heated mirrors that are of no value to people living in much of the U.S.

I am one of those " you shouldn't use a cellphone when driving a car" type of people who find a 30.00 earpiece more than effective and I have no use for an outside temperature guage.

But, that's me. All of these "fluff" (to me) items only add to the price of the cars.

Otherwise, I totally agree with your post and I hope Honda is paying attention. No company can rest on it's laurels and expect loyality when emerging competition is aggressive.

I never thought Huyndai with the initial junk they came out with would ever survive. I could never see why anyone would buy a Korean car.

Well, thanks for the Korean goverment throwing tons of money into insuring their survival, not only have they survived but they have markedly improved and although I wouldn't buy one, they have captured a big share of the market.

Ford has taken HUGE strides and the people who want to buy American cars are giving them a second look.

Honda...are you reading these forums? I sure hope so!
    " just get's lost in the crowd"

Yep, the first time I saw a "new" 2012, I couldn't tell what they had changed until I looked real hard.

" Yesterday's hits won't win today's ballgames"
    Isell, felt the same way as you did about buying a Korean car but after having had one in the family for close to to three years now, I'd buy another tomorrow without hesitation...and we probably will! But. we'd buy another of any of the four different brands that we now own again...maybe not the Honda though! It's gonna be a fun experience though!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

edited September 2011
    See, I personal don't care much about looks, as long it's not ugly (like, sorry, the 2011 Honda Odyssey), and I don't need the Civic to be "fresh", the way it looks today is fine for me, although the interior is rather where it could really use a boost and improvement IMO, especially compared to the newer runners.

But, I recently drove the Hyundai Sonata (not the Elantra, yet), it's not bad at all, but after driving my Civic for the past few years, I would have never considered to change it for a Sonata. The driving experience is much more of an important factor to me than pretty looks, but then again, some features I do need and appreciate them. Again, I am not asking here for heated rear seats, and not demanding overly complicated touch screens as recent Fords with Sync systems. I actually do appreciate the simplicity of the Civic's controls, in oppose to other Honda's that are being criticized for button cluttered dash.

Once again I state my opinion, if Honda want to succeed, I recommend survey your customers, and listen to what they ask for! Easiest, cheapest way to do some good research.
    I don't care much about looks either and given today's safety standards, it's difficult to make very many styling changes.

And I don't care much anyway. It's a CAR and not an expression of myself.

I believe Honda will continue as the market leader but they better be aware of the competition that has emerged recently.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    I believe Honda will continue as the market leader...

Which market does Honda lead? Not the USA market.
    What outsells Civics in that class of cars?
    I've got a good feeling that in the next few years, the Elantra may just take over that crown from the Civic...from the reviews I've read, the car is just that good! And once they get their supply problems under control, things are gonna change. Probably Hyundai's biggest problems with the Elantra right now is that the demand far outweighs the supply, so many folks can't just drive one off the lot. This pent up demand will eventually equalize once the supply catches up and then there should be plenty of all models for buyers to have a choice. Honda should be very worried actually...they are no longer the benchmark they once always were.

A shame that they didn't do more with the 2012 model to get the buzz the Elantra is getting. I know I was very impressed just sitting in the showroom in one...if things were different, I'd of bought one then and there!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

YTD, both the Cruze and Corolla have outsold the Civic.

Anyway, you didn't say "Civic". You said "Honda".
    Part of that reason is because they sell them to the rental car companies en masse with is something Honda has never done.

Also, the Japan earthquake REALLY hurt production. Honda is struggling to provide inventory right now and they are still far behind.
    Toyota is based in Japan also.
    I've finally come to the conclusion that there can be problems with every make and model of car...no car or company is immune from some sort of problem. The way the car company handles the "problem" is what really matters. Just because sometimes the resolution is not what the consumer would like doesn't make the whole company & every one of their products inherently bad...some common sense on both sides needs to be used here! I've had three warranty issues with my '06 Civic over the years and sure, it's a p i a to get it resolved sometimes, but it doesn't make the whole car/company bad. With any mechanical thing made up of thousands of parts, put together by people & machines, the parts coming from different sources over time, some problems are bound to happen. I'm going through a a/c compressor issue right now that makes the car blow out warmish air is very annoying, especially with the low mileage on the car. But I'm not going to trash the whole Honda lineup and all Civics as being a horrible car, that is just sort of silly actually. I don't know exactly how Honda will handle the problem yet so to jump off the handle with silly remarks doesn't make much sense. No matter what happens, the Civic is still a fine car and the numbers speak volumes about it.

I tend to be somewhat on the logical side and look at life as 1/2 full even though these past 6 or so years have been pretty bad for our family & myself. But I tend to look for the good in things so I'm not gonna stress about this situation yet. In the scheme of things, there are so many more things to stress about in life. Being negative takes a lot of wasted energy which can be used for other positive things. So sure, I'm annoyed that I might have to spend a large amount of $ to fix the problem, but if Honda decides to help out with some of it will be a happy bonus. And if not, I still have to fix the a/c especially living in South Florida. Such is life! :)

I am,

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades: