Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010+ Buick Lacrosse - Options

Comments

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    That is usually accompanied by a little smoke. ;-)
    Since commanding display to day mode I have not had the issue of it being so dark I could not see it and not being able to turn it up. I'm not sure what mode it was in before because I recently commanded night mode just to see what it does and don't remember ever seeing the black background before.
    I'm unhappy with the dimming that is controlled by the rocker button. Under quite dark conditions the speedometer area is too bright. Turning that down to what seems proper results in the blue lighting going out and before that point the Nav display being too dark, even in day mode. I learned this recently on a long drive with night driving.
    This is a safety issue!
    The Nav system is a safety item. Adjusting the guage area to a safe level for night time visibility makes the Nav Display useless.
    Is anyone else having this issue?
    It seems that having the Nav Display tied to the dimmer should not have been done, but handled by Day/Night mode instead.
    Clarifying "BTW I used highest rate and 1:59 of music only take 325MB. That would be 60 hours on HDD. I'll try lower rates to see if I find them satisfactory."
    That is 1:59 is 1 hour 59 minutes.
    Or about 6 hours of music per gigabyte,
    or 60 hours of very high quality music in the allotted 10GB for music on HDD.
  • gberpagberpa Posts: 44
    edited January 2011
    I agree totally with your comments regarding the gauges/nav screen lighting in the evening. The best compromise for me is to get the best lighting for the nav screen and accept the brighter gauges. I then try to rely mainly on the DIC/HUD for info and avoid glancing at the gauges. I will see if dealer has solution on my next visit when replacement seat memory module comes in.
    Thanks g.
    I will also the next time I'm in. And from now on if my complaint is not satisfactorally written, I will add my own statement when they ask me to sign work order. It might even say, "See attached sheets!"
    I forgot just what the reason was they were replacing memory module for you.
    They did not answer my complaint on memory issues and next time I will have both FOBS and show them what the issue is.
    Also the part of busted battery case. And they say battery is 60 month when installing dealer wrote it was 30 month. Tomorrow I will pull and verify myself.
    Thanks
  • Since the first day I've had my CXS, my display is fine night and day, I set my dash once and have left it there since July. No problems.
    Is it 2011? Do you have the Nav package or HUD?
    Is the brightness level between standard guages and screen comparable?
    One knob sets the HUD separately, so no problem there.
    The guages, blue lighting, and Nav screen are tied together.
    Full brightness is OK for some city driving, but for most city I'd prefer it turned down to at least where blue lights disappear, approximately 1/2 way. At that point the Nav screen is getting rather dim and hard to see in day mode, but even darker in night mode.
    Out on dark stretches of highway where I'd prefer something resembling a black cockpit, dimming properly just is not feasible with this system design or problem.
    Has anyone seen the update we are supposedly eligible for?
    Mine shows that it has an early 2009 Navigation.
    I'm still hoping that when they do release an update it will fix other issues like shortage of voice commands.
  • My experience with these updates is that it is merely new streets, new points of interest and corrections. Its like getting a 2010 map to replace your 2009 map (which was researched in 2007). Voice commands are in the system firmware or software, not in the electronic maps. Rarely is even a new map free. Check eBay for DVDs. I have seen MSRPs of $295 selling for under $100.
    You might be correct as to what the update map disk contains. Someone had posted a few months back that GM was going to give us one free update because of the age of map installed on assembly.

I just keep hoping that they will come out with a firmware or software update to fix some of the other issues. There were quite a few complaints about early 2010 models and some features not working at all. Some of these features were supposedly enabled in later model.

I'm still confused on this voice command:
    Route (used in conjunction with another command)
    I don't see any use of that word, route, elsewhere in instructions and in most cases find (used in conjunction with another command) confusing and not comprehensible.
    Does the AFL, adaptive forward lighting, work with low beams? It seems mine does not and I find nothing in the manual restricting it to high beams.
    It definitely does on my car. There is an extremely windy road leading to my neighborhood and the beam movement is clear.
    I recently renewed an XM offer. I was told I'd get weather but something is wrong. I'm not sure if the lady was wrong or maybe I did not have NAV activated when she sent the signal.

I found the road updates nice when it worked. Helped me avoid some bad stuff in Chicago. But on rural interstate I never got updates when traffic was delayed for over 2 hours each time because of accidents.
    Is this a weakness in the system?
    It also appears that part of system may not be working since renewal.
    Also I'm not sure the quality of music is great. I'm not sure if it is XM method of sending signal, maybe a low quality stream? Does anyone know what their stream and compression method are?
    I may try to find a couple of high range CD, checking for good low notes and trueness of ringing cymbals or bells.
    I get the impression the quality is no better than a cheap tape with hiss removed.
  • I am happy with the quality but it seems about 95% of what my iPod or CDs put out.

The traffic updates require some time for reporting to get into the system. Whenever I have gotten them, they were accurate and timely.

Good luck with XM Customer Service. They are the worst, especially on billing. They can't even quote their costs correctly.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,230
    edited February 2011
    Compared to some of my local FM radio stations XM by comparison sounds ordinary, to a point. Since Sirius/XM basically plays "old" music that was once recorded in analog format and then digitized, it is expected that the sound quality and fidelity would be degraded somewhat. After my year of XM service expires I don't think I will renew because I listen to perhaps only three channels on a regular basis, not enough to justify the $45 quarterly price.

I have a related but different dilemma. I like OnStar but I also have AAA at $70 per year. Since I have a built-in NAV system in CXS, turn-by-turn service with OnStar is redundant. Furthermore, with my cell phone and Bluetooth I never use the prepaid minutes with the OnStar phone. I am very happy with AAA as they show up immediately when you call and the discounts at hotels and other places are fantastic.

OnStar was a great technology 10 years ago but given the many technology options motorists have today I think OnStar has lost its allure.
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    I pay $21.40 including tax for 5 months of XM. And that's about all it's worth.
    I agree on XM. I still think part of the issue is the compression format they use, proprietary. Even music that started digitally is lacking and suspect the HK system is part of issue.
    If you are into burning your own music, there are some streams from London that are ogg-flac at around 1Mb/sec. FLAC stands for free lossless audio codec. That is you get what was on the CD, not some chopped down version.
  • mdg0208mdg0208 Posts: 1
    Do all 2010 Lacrosses have the AFL option? I have not noticed it. But, when I have my brights on they appear to "dim" off and on at will... Not sure what us going on...
    Sounds like auto on/off feature along with daytime running.
    The AFL, xenon that aim with steering, are part of Driver Confidence package available on CXL & CXS, unless they've changed availability again.
    I also like the ease of turning fog lamps on. Not true fog in my opinion or they'd be amber, but when driving slowly they add to close in lighting. It would be a pain except for that big round button that only requires a tap to turn on/off.
    I've used mp3 with success and am trying to get m4a files on future music copies. To date, I ve had no luck. Foobar 2000 plus Nero AC encoder didn't work. Let me clarify: On CD Blues Traveler, Four, it created songs with the m4a extensions when I use but same generic names as .cda files when you view the raw commercial CD. When I had it get the name tags from an australian public server, still no go. I doctored the name to have a track # as my mp3 which play but it still was a no go.

I also tried a program a computer club friend mentioned, Exact Audio Copy (nice interface, many options) but there it created .wav files OK but then couldn't use the Nero CODEC.

Which CODEC did you link to Foobar and what m4a method, AAC ?
    Were you able to intermix mp3 albums with m4a on the same USB memory?
    My memory is a bit foggy on how I did it and unfortunately I had to do an old backup for restore. Thus I lost how I had things setup.
    Foobar. I had been storing high quality, 160KBS ogg streams to HDD. I then used a program to edit stream into individual songs. At that is what I miss & can't remember the name of it. It was fantastic and had transcoding capabilities included for many different formats.
    I used to use Goldwave and a couple of others. Goldwave is no longer free and may still have issue from the past. It only worked with files that were wav. Not good to convert a file, unless lossless, to wav and then back to your preferred.
    Once the file was split to tracks, I apparently saved them as track numbers since that is how they appear on HDD. I may have then used Nero plugin for foobar to convert to m4a.
    When I load those files, it displays artist and title. How I got the tags I do not remember. In doing research to get it done, I remember something about the output of some codec using a proprietary extension and the file exactly the same as m4a so it was only necessary to rename the extension.
    When I get a little time I plan to take some of the currently saved streams, ogg-flac 1000 kbps, and break them into tracks or segments. I'll save or transcode to m4a.
    It has been a long time since I used Winamp but it may come with needed plugins or have a wider selection of available tools.
    Has anyone seen the real power output of this unit?
    BTW, there is a law that requires it be available in "RMS", which means "root mean square", and is the only true power rating.
    Why do I mention? Because of the tendancy of manufacturers to inflate their ratings by using some other method. They might use peak which is approximately 1.4X larger and if they list as peak to peak, double the peak rating. But even that is no where near the inflated figures I've seen by other methods. By one method, according to the fine print, a system rated at 1000 watts was actually only over 100 watts RMS.
    Currently I'm wondering if this HK, said to be 300 or so watts, may actually only be around 40 watts RMS.
    edited April 2011
    e-net-rider,

You might be unto something here as I too am very disappointed in the oomph from the Harman Kardon stereo. In some cases I have to turn the volume up to almost 80% before I begin hearing anything approaching the sound of an ordinary stereo. I don't really understand all the technical details but I am almost certain that the HK is not delivering the 384 advertised watts, perhaps more like 60 watts, if that high.

The HK is nothing close the JBL in my Avalon and I am thinking of going to an audio store today to see if they can bring decent music to my CSX but like many I dread the idea of having to cut and splice wires.

Turning to a slightly different issue. Yesterday, a message came up in the DIC saying that "Blind Side Detetion is in Operable." This message came on just after I had turned off the warning (in the dash) saying I was low on gas. However, moments later the blind side indicator continued to work as normal and is still working. Perhaps not a big deal but I wonder if others have had that experience?
    I recently just ran across an old ad book for the 95 Aurora. That system had real quality for its time. True crisp highs and solid bass notes to its low end capability. Although there were less speakers, they were AcoustiMass, which might explain there high price to replace. Sending the speaker to Bose for re-coning was $85 about three years ago, not including removal and shipping.
    When it comes to quality sound, I still think my front pair of old Pioneers, 3-way, with 16" woofers is hard to beat, as long as you have a good amp powering them.
    How did you turn off low fuel warning?
    How did you turn off low fuel warning?

The drop down menu gave the choice to cancel or to get more information on the closest gas station. I deliberately let the tank go as low as I comfortably could but on fill-up it took 17 gallons. Not sure at what point the "low fuel" warning comes on but it seems a tad early, probably with about 4 gallons left.
  • rainman5542rainman5542 Posts: 114
    The best way to turn off the low fuel warning is to get gas!. Most cars warn you at about 3 gals remaining. That 40-60 miles of travel.
  • bobinorbobinor Posts: 63
    Add gas - wish I had posted that!

As far as the Harman Kardon system, I'm pretty happy with mine. It might not have as much low end punch as my '01 Regal's Monsoon system but I think it does a credible job of audio reproduction. I've tweaked the EQ to my satisfaction and get nice crisp highs and good lows with clear mids. Remember, this is the standard equipment for this vehicle, albeit highly touted on the sticker and in TV ads. If you want higher end I think you're into after-market stuff.

Speaking of TV ads, I've seen a ton of commercials for the LaCrosse lately but see few, if any, on the road around here. Are they selling? They should. I think it's a great - looks and performance - car.
    I can not turn off low fuel warning on mine, on the DIC. I can choose a couple of options from NAV screen including cancel.

This is not the standard system for Lacrosse. There is a cheaper not 11 speaker that is on the bottom. And lesser vehicles in GM line often have Bose system. And I strongly suspect Bose would protect its reputation, not allowing GM to do a hack install.
  • rainman5542rainman5542 Posts: 114
    Why would you want to turn off Low Fuel warning? Wouldn't you drive to the nearest gas station? On mine, you acknowledge the warning on the NAV screen and either get directions to a gas station or decline the help.

You may want to research this further by reading your owner's manual.
    I probably would not on this vehicle that I think about it. Some vehicles I've had would pop the first warning which you could dismiss but then it was with plenty of miles left, like maybe 60-70 miles. Then it would pop the second one with 25 calculated miles left.
    Practicing something helps & I'm just now experiencing my second low fuel warning, intentionally, in hope of learning more about the situation. Since the gas station is very close, I should not have burned more than a couple of tenths before filling. I will learn how much of tank capacity it takes.