Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Of course the 5 speed has a limiter. Every car has a rev limiter to dial back the revs when you hit red line. C&D reached the limits of the car at 140mph before it hit the rev limiter at redline. Even if there was no rev limiter, the WRX is not really capable of going faster than that (it's drag limited). But we're talking about speed limiters that kick in even though the car is capable of going faster. At 130 mph, the WRX still has juice to go faster, but for one reason or another, they restricted the speed for the automatic model. The manual WRX has no such restriction. If you could run it on a steep downhill, you could probably go a bit faster than 140mph.

Why all the debate? First, the manual WRX has published evidence that it can reach its drag limited maximum speed which is around 140mph. And the automatic version clearly has a 130 mph speed limiter in all published specs put out by Subaru. Pretty clear cut for me. And lastly, why does this matter so much? I'll probably never have to hit that speed limit anyway.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Aren't really taken into account for in a limiter. I'm not sure why the debate came about.

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Mike- Good point about rev limiter = speed limiter. I wonder if the fact that the auto-WRX only has four gears means that 4th encounters the rev limiter at 130mph while the 5th gear of the MT doesn't until 140+?

AH- lighten up! Sheesh... you and Stephen are squabbling like a couple of Mustang and Camero owners (And I'm almost positive that you've posted info from the I-Club before). The WRX in either configuration offers excellent AWD performance and is an outstanding value. Which one you buy should depend mainly on your individual preferences and driving situation.

-Frank P.
  • Unless you are on the track, you should NOT be going that fast anyway on public streets and highways.
    I don't think that the WRX would handle very well in an emergency situation at 130+ regardless of how fast it can go. I'd rather be in an SVX at those speeds personally (I've actually been in a '92 @ 145+)

-mike
  • After all, we don't want to lose anybody on these boards.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I'd want a much longer wheelbase than the Impreza's at any speeds well above 100mph. Short wheelbase, quick steering, you so much as sneeze at 130mph and you're history.

The SVX is indeed more of a grand tourer and would likely be more comfortable at sustained high speeds.

-juice
  • (And I'm almost positive that you've posted info from the I-Club before).

I did post info (about VTD-AWD) from I-club before....basically, info that...ahem...."yours truly" had posted in the i-club based on readings from technical articles. :-) I did not want to re-type my post from the I-club, so I just cut and pasted it. :-))

Later...AH
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    I got my January Car and Driver yesterday and the WRX won the 10 best award. Not that it was a huge surprise, given the way all the car mags rave about it, but it was nice to see anyway. It mentioned both the wagon and the sedan in the article. Since it hadn't been mentioned here, I thought I'd post it. The other cars were the Acura RSX, Audi A4, BMW 3 and 5 series, Chevy Corvette, Ford Focus, Honda S2000 and Accord, and Porsche Boxter.

-Jason
    S-W-E-E-T!

I don't think they've ever awarded a Subaru.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    I predicted some time ago that the WRX would win some annual award from a major auto publication. That's super news! :))

Bob
  • lark6lark6 Posts: 2,565
    I imagine that the WRX has to be in the running for Motor Trend's Import Car of the Year award. Given that MT just awarded (Domestic) Car of the Year to the Ford Thunderbird, I'd question the merits of that honor. Still, since Subarus don't usually garner major annual awards, why look a gift horse in the mouth?

Ed
  • wrxguywrxguy Posts: 51
    Thats neat,
    I feel a temporary sense of being an elite owning a WRX. Just kidding, but I sure do enjoy driving it!
  • I think someone had mentioned it earlier... MotorTrend no longer award a separate ICOY, just a single COY. So don't hold your breath waiting for the the WRX to win ICOY.

enjoy,
    Phil
    Anybody see Letterman last night? His Top-10 topic was suggestions on how Bin Ladin could improve his public image, and he couldn't come up even one suggestion!

Bob
  • elec3elec3 Posts: 160
    That a Subaru is winning major awards! That doesn't happen everyday. For a long while my gotta-have-it car was the Porsche Boxster S but lately I've been thinking the WRX may be just as much fun, a fair bit more practical, and a lot cheaper. I've got another 3-4 years before my insurance takes a big drop, my current vehicle is paid for, and I finish school and have substantial income - hopefully by then the WRX will be even more powerful (a bit closer to the non-US specs) and I'll be ready to buy one :)
  • I think someone had mentioned it earlier... MotorTrend no longer award a separate ICOY, just a single COY. So don't hold your breath waiting for the the WRX to win ICOY.

enjoy,
    Phil
    Haaaaaa

I absolutely love how they can give COY to a car that hasn't even hit the street yet, or who has barely hit the street and they haven't even gotten their hands on a real production one. Amazing.

I'm sure the T-bird will fall apart just like the rest of the FORDs, unless it's an SVT which is proof Ford can build a good reliable vehicle, they just don't do it on a regular basis.

-mike
    Phil: I stand corrected.

paisan: I agree 100%. There were problems with the new T-bird's cooling system prior to introduction, and now I see that almost 300,000 Foci are being recalled. I'm past picking on Ford to the point where I just feel sorry for them now. The US auto industry really has to turn itself around but soon.

Ed
    on a downward spiral, but there are signs that GM is bouncing back. They've got a LONG way to go, but I think they may have turned the corner. Their trucks and SUVs are well received, and Bob Lutz can do nothing but good for future product.

Bob
    Lutz will do a good job, though I think he can only stop the market share skid, not reverse it. Competition is way too fierce now.

Ed: remember that T-bird we saw on that flat bed tow truck? A sign of things to come? ;-)

-juice
  • Have to agree with everyone on MT's selection of the T-bird as COY, pretty weak. Snazzy looks yes, but basically a reskinned Lincoln LS/Jag S-type.

Back on topic - I AM glad that Subaru is getting recognition for finally bringing the WRX to the States.

Phil
  • Just wanted to mention, the WRX is also featured in the current Consumer Reports in a comparison test with the Acura RSX and not only won the comparison but got an excellent rating overall and the highest rating in the "sporty car" catagory.

High praise indeed from a publication famous for brutal honesty and not pulling any punches!
    Well, the LS is a well liked car, at least by owners, and the T-bird is the only way you can get a folding top with that platform, so it's not redundant in any way.

The ads are funny. Did you see the one where the other guy races off, and he gives the cute girl at the start line a ride? Very clever.

The CR review is surprising because these folks are practical and usually could care less about horsepower.

-juice
  • Have to agree with everyone on MT's selection of the T-bird as COY, pretty weak. Snazzy looks yes, but basically a reskinned Lincoln LS/Jag S-type.

Back on topic - I AM glad that Subaru is getting recognition for finally bringing the WRX to the States.

Phil
    The LS though suffers from poor quality build like the other american cars. Remember the bottom end problems and the cheapo trim from the Ford Contour they slapped on?

-mike
    juice: Yeah, now that you mention it I do remember the flat-bedded T-bird.

Ed
  • In fact, in their ratings of Sporty cars, only the WRX came into the "Excellent" category. The next car, the Acura RSX, was rated a "Very Good" with other cars like the Toyota Celica coming below them. In their article, they were totally gung-ho over the WRX, except for a slight snub on the fuel mileage.

Very good praise indeed, especially since it came from the prim and proper Consumer Reports !!

Later...AH
  • jaserbjaserb Posts: 858
    Didn't Motor Trend pick the PT Cruiser as last year's COY? So, can we expect the Chev SSR next year, or maybe the Buick Bengal? Apparently retro styling and domestic manufacture (or advertising dollars) are the biggest criteria for Motor Trend. At least the PT was original, practical, and a big step up in quality for Chrysler.
    Paisan, I did see a new T-bird for sale about 2 weeks ago at a tiny Ford dealer in the middle of Po-dunk, Utah - the dealer didn't even have an indoor showroom. Yellow with a yellow hardtop - it looked lonely sitting there on the corner.

-Jason
  • dill6dill6 Posts: 120
    The PT Cruiser is one of the VERY few domestics I feel at all friendly towards, and my wife actually wants one. MT having named it COY last year (I didn't know that) IMO is a lucky accident, though. That award is widely regarded as being "for sale", and the mag is generally bogus as I recall - I'll admit to not having seen it in a while though.
    In fact I don't read the automotive press much at all any more, though when I did I had a subscription to R&T and thought at the time it was head and shoulders above the rest. Wonder if that's still true, and what did they have to say about the WRX?
This discussion has been closed.