Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    is a delayed shutoff so oil continues to flow and cools down the turbo after hard running. If you switch off the motor too soon, a red hot turbo (and they literally get red hot) can coke the oil around the turbo bearings eventually leading to turbo failure. A turbo timer isn't really needed if you drive easily for the last couple miles and/or let the car idle for a minute or two before turning off the motor, especially if using a good synthetic engine oil that's more heat tolerant than dino oil.
  • rexaroorexaroo Member Posts: 174
    a cool-down period for the turbo isn't required--that's why you won't find any mention of it in the owners' manual. Subie engineers have solved the problem--anti-freeze is allowed to circulate through the turbo even after the engine is shut off, which prevents coking of the bearings. Honest Injun--you never have to worry about frying your turbo--you can just turn the engine off. I do it all the time and it runs just fine. (But I agree it's a good idea to use synthetic oil as an extra measure of protection.)
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    on a turbo timer. It's not needed w/the WRX. A better precaution, if one is nervous about their turbo, is to allow the car to idle a bit after extreme usage (like racing to home) or slow down the last few blocks to home. As others have pointed out, the design of the turbo and it's cooling negates the need for a turbo timer. I can think of better $$ usages in regards to mods. :-) BTW, this subject has been covered extensively over at the i-club. I even sent a letter to SOA about cooling down of the turbo and they said it wasn't needed, hence no mention in the manual of procedure. Just use common sense about idling the WRX after hard usage and you'll be fine.

Stephen
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    My former '00 S4 had the same cool-down feature but I wasn't sure about the WRX. One thing I like about the WRX is that reported turbo failures seem pretty rare, unlike the S4. The Audi has two turbos so, everything being equal, it's twice as likely to experience turbo problems. Here's an interesting "unofficial" survey of turbo failures on the S4, which gives some insights on factors that might lead to problems. To be fair, my S4 never had any turbo or any other significant problems. ;)

http://audiport.com/survey/turbo/turbo_result.htm
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Anyone have this TSB handy?
    Service Bulletin Number: 010601
    It about the turbo cool down procedure (www.nhtsa.dot.gov)

rexaroo: if the engine is off, what's driving the water pump which is circulating the coolant?
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    a temperature inversion thing, expansion/contraction tanks, etc.

Jim
  • rexaroorexaroo Member Posts: 174
    The engineering bulletin read to me over the phone by a Subie rep said that after the engine is shut off, the anti-freeze is kept in the turbo until it reaches a certain temperature, then it is discharged and another batch is brought in until it reaches a certain temp, then that batch is discharged, and so on. I'm not sure how this is accomplished since the water pump is off, but the expansion tank theory sounds good to me.

I asked for a copy of the bulletin, but the SOA rep declined--don't know if it's proprietary information or what, but maybe Patti could find out some more on this for us.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They guy that sold me the 6CD had a turbo timer. Interesting little gadget, but not necessary. He had remote starting, too, which could be good in the winter (to warm up the car).

-juice
  • dettlingdettling Member Posts: 6
    I would like to have a turbo temp gauge. Of course its not necessary, but I would just like to monitor the temperature. After a while you would get a feel for the temps and would know if you have really pushed her hard. There is a good spot on the dash where the dealerships install the optional gauge clusters.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    You can check i-club.com for different gauges. Omori makes gauges that will fit in the factory gauge housing.

http://www.omori-na.com/catalog/vehiclespecific/triple.htm

-Dennis

• sonya4sonya4 Member Posts: 92
    Love the discussions on this board...I've been learning a lot from you all!

A young relative of mine talks about cars all the time but only now do I understand some of the things he mentions--like turbo temp gauge, the differences in various wheel/tire sizes, etc. (He would love to get his hands on my Rex, but there's no way!!)

So here's a general thank-you to all who post.

--Sonya4
  • epp1epp1 Member Posts: 48
    ...on the turbo timer. I'll just have to start blowing dough on the Vishnu Stage 0 then...

If anyone from MN has a reco on a quality tuning shop please let me know. I'm struggling to find someone that is familiar with the aftermarket mods and willing to install them.

Also, if folks have experience with Altezza brands lights please let me know. I like the look, I just want to make sure they won't fail or fill with water, etc.

--Sean
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Do not put them on your WRX!

I willpersonally come out there and bust them up if you put them on their. Kinda like a big aluminum wing. They are find for hondahs, but please not on a scooby. It's kinda like your mom coming home and saying she got her nipples pierced!

-mike
    I didn't want to burst your bubble so early on but I agree with Paisan (Mike). It makes the WRX look to much like the slammed Hondas I see around on the West Coast!

Mike: LOL!!! Good analogy! :-)

Stephen
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    I'll check it out.

Patti
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    so for this turbo cool down thing, if I'm driving 40-50 on rural roads before I drive the last 1/2 mile to my house, is that considered easy driving?
    is that why there is always a slightly burnt smell in my garage when I use the WRX???
  • dop50dop50 Member Posts: 162
    I really hate to mention it, and I don't know, but anybody think that maybe something crawled into the Rex and died. Maybe they should try the heat and see if it still smells. Anything is possible. :) I had a car one time that a mouse got into the ductwork somehow and died, had to disassemble the entire dash to get it out. Also had cats get into the engine compartment, now THAT can be a messy situation! We live outside the city, near horses and cows and stuff, it's something that happens every now and then.

Just a thought.

Ken
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    that's absolutely nothing, unless you're in 2nd gear the whole time :). The burnt smell, dunno, but my 1998 Trooper and 1994 Subaru STILL have occasional burning-off smells every once in a while. My 1994 Turbo Legacy manual actually references something like "sustained high speed highway driving may require a 30-60 second cool down period". I'll see if I can find the exact words.

Jim
  • mike25rsmike25rs Member Posts: 6
    Paisan I know it's possible I missed it but I looked all over the rallispec site and all I saw was the full assembly for the wrx is this what you were talking about, or what. I know that it can be done but I'm trying to find the best and most efficiant one I guess what i'm gonna have to do is wait till someone else does it and talk to them. And thanks to all who helped with my wheel and tire dillema. I think I'll go with some really light 18's and I like the toyo tires. So when I find the right combo and test drive them I'll let you guys know how it went.

I'm still looking for input on the six speed tranny anyone have one, or heard anything about it? ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES Thanks,

Mike
    Rallispec is a custom house, you may need to pick up a phone and call them directly. They designed the kit back in '99 and have installed it on a bunch of cars since. It ran about $7K installed for the turbo kit. Give em a call and they'll help you out.

As for 6speed STI tranny, that's a good idea if you plan to get more power, the current trainies are the weak point in the scooby line.

-mike
    I haven't heard of any 02 turbo RS'. Then again, I haven't checked the i-club's Aftermarket Forced Induction forum lately. That would be the best place to go.
    Most likely, you would need to get a WRX hood for the scoop or use a front mounted intercooler.

RalliSpec is doing less turbos than they used to. They almost went out of business for being too nice. They spent a lot of time on the phone with customers and other vendors answering questions and giving out free advice. If you contact them, make sure you are really serious about it. They are great guys there. I met them at their grand re-opening celebration that had about 100 Scooby's.

Also, check some of the i-club forums in your area for some local info.
    IIRC, there's been at least one person that put an STi 6-speed tranny in a WRX. Do a search on the i-club's tranny forum.

-Dennis
    Same engine, you'd need a WRX hood or FMIC as Dennis said, but the mechanicals are the same as pre 02.

-mike
    That's it, I'm slamming my Rex, covering it with Chinese characters and Calvin pissing stickers, putting a visor on upside down and backwards, turning up the techno and hanging out in front of Mike and Stephen's homes. Kidding, you live too far away in the land of sunshine and dry weather. Must be nice...

Seriously, thanks for the fashion tips, but how is it that your taste is any better the kids hanging out in their parents' hand-me-down Hondas at the local high school? Other than the fact that you have a Rex and they don't.

Stephen, your Rex looks fantastic. However, I fail to see how how your application of clear lenses, tinting, debadging and various mechanical mods are any different or more tasteful than Honda folks employing the same goodies?

Personally, I despise the coffee cans, but that doesn't mean I'm wont to stomp them off the back of peoples' cars.

I'm merely trying to figure out what's available to replace the otherwise plain vanilla OE taillamps. I will always defer to subtlety and clean lines. Distinctive and garish are two competely different things. Altezza seems to produce a number of different styles - not trying to make my car into a carnival act.

Another question - moonroofs. I saw a sedan on i-club that had a nice looking moonroof install. Not sure what they had to sacrifice structurally to get that done. Curious if anyone has tried that with a wagon - seems like it might be easier to do.

Thanks again for all the great informative and objective posts.

Have a good weekend all - Sean
    I don't even own a Rex!

It's a freek show all those altezza crapolla. Objective? Nah, I'm not objective at all. Boy racers are cool, so long as they are doing it on someone elses name-plate! :)

As for moonroofs, I'd stay away. In order to put one in you need to go right through a structural member, this would render your car unsafe. There is a roof available in Japan, but it fits in front of the B-pillar roof rib.

-mike
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    They make automated pop-out sunroofs, like the ones you see on many of the coups (such as on the Integra and RSX). These should be able to be added with no cost to the structural integrity of the WRX. It should not affect the cross beam in the roof.

I am thinking of doing this at a later date.
    <<Not sure what they had to sacrifice structurally to get that done.>>
    Chop, chop, saw, saw.
    If it's you're average size moon/sunroof, there's some cutting going on. Some of the moonroof posts on the i-club say that they've had the frame cut.

I can't wait to get a WRX and put on Altezza's and drive paisan nuts! ;-)
    btw mike, I saw the "prototype" intercooler and hood scoop screens. Looked very functional.

-Dennis
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    I have never seem such a thing as tasteful Altezza lights. The problem is that they are usually cheaply constructed and look it. The Altezza phenomenon is popular among the Honda crowd and see to carry over to the other brands. Fortunately, Subbie owners, by in large, stay away from them. While I'm not going to tell you that I have better styling sense than you, I will tell you that I think they look ugly and out-of-place. And don't be surprised if you get a big backlash from other Subbie owners if you do get Altezzas.

As for the coffee cans, yes I do want to stomp them off the car, because their ridiculous flatulent noises intrudes my eardrums
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Antenna, altezza lights, moonroof, vishnu kit...I don't get it. Doesn't anybody enjoy the car for what it is? Was I the only one who bought a WRX and not a WRX badged car and wish it was something else? Notice I didn't mention tire/wheel package. For now that's the only thing I would look at to consider.

I know it's hard to slow down (with a WRX) and smell the roses, but try it sometimes. You might even enjoy it. Maybe I just appreciate mine for what it is, fun, no-nonsense, functional, and so odd looking it grows on you. No identity crisis here.

Have a safe Subie day everyone!
    let's just say I've made some hybrid rose that smells a heck of a lot sweeter! A mass produced car like a WRX is a compromise as far as performance goes. The bean counters get in there and do their thing, hence the mods. As far as styling goes, it's a subjective thing. I happen to be of the school that thinks some of the WRX's details could be cleaned up. It doesn't mean I didn't appreciate my stock WRX. BTW, this is not some strange WRX phenomenon, just look at all the Mustangs, Corvettes, Integras, Jettas, GTIs, Civics, Firebirds, Camaros...you get the point. :-)

Stephen
    Cuts right through the B-pillar braces.

The JDM one does not cut the B-pillar braces there is a pic somewhere on I-club witht he JD one, it's ver wide cutout, but front to back is only a matter of 6-8" tops.

-mike
    ...without major flaming. Forget the moonroof if it in anyway involves adjusting/trashing the structural integrity.

I am going to get a different shift knob though. Would like one that is bigger due to my large paws. The Kartboy one looks pretty big. Any others recos? I want one that threads on, not the set screw style.

Have a good weekend,

Sean
  • sonya4sonya4 Member Posts: 92
    ...in that I love my WRX for what it is. Sure I wouldn't mind a moon/sunroof, but I can live without one. Don't need all the other modifications. As for looks, it sure draws attention (curious, admiring and amused). Anyway, it's a car with a lot of personality!

BTW, whenever I've been driving around for a while, the car gives off a lot of heat. Is it just the turbo?

--Sonya4
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    No offense to anyone else who's into it, just can't see fixing what's not broke. Bottomline with anything is "What's the payoff?"

There's two of us now Sonya4.
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    People have a right to do anything with their car. That said, the car is best left alone, save for a few additions. My red 5 speed sedan has one addition so far. I added the short shifter. Actually, I also changed the terrible re-92 bridgestones to all season sp 5000 asymetricals. This is a great all season tire, but i now want 17" rubber. I am about to order a set of toyo proxess t1-s summer tires with the rota attack wheels in steel grey. I'll use the 16"s in the winter. IMO, the rota attacks are a great looking and good wheel at a great price. Only 522.50 at revolutionsmotorsports, shipping included. They are a direct replica of the graham light wheel and weigh only 15 lb. I would like to add something to the engine in the future, but the car is fast enough as is and i don't want to play around while i still have a warranty. After all, the short-shifter (installed by subaru) and a tire upgrade do help performance a bit and don't void the warranty.
    They are cool, it's when you drastically/radically change the look of the vehicle like change out for altezzas on a car that has sqare non shiny rear lights is where I take issue. If you like altezzas why not buy an IS300 or Altima? A popular change on the old GC8s was to get red turn signals in the rear, that's not radically changing the shape/look.

Hey do what you want, but if you put Altezzas on don't complain when people make fun of you! Be proud of your modifications stand up and say "I like my light up washer nozzles, altezza lights, and 20" chrome rims, I like making my car look like a hondah civic on crack!" Don't whine and cry "Oh these people are making fun of me, they aren't sensitive to my feelings"

:)
    :)

-mike
    (Seems I do this a lot on Mike's posts, LOL), One of the cool things about the GC8 (older style Impreza) and the WRX is that there are so many aftermarket items available whether it's changing a side marker to clear, or upgrading the suspension, or doing engine mods, etc. Some folks are comfortable with just tinting there glass or changing tires/wheels. Others are a bit more adventurous (moi). Either way, it's all about the fact that the car is so much fun to begin with that one may want a bit more. It's kind of like (for those w/o peanut allergies) not be able to just eat one peanut. :-)

I like the mods I've done, especially the cosmetic ones. I look at a stock WRX w/its cheap looking (IMO) flat black side sills and wonder why the body colored ones didn't just come standard. I look at the 17"wheels/tires and how they fill the wheels wells and wonder why only the N.American market came std w/16"ones. I look at my dual rear cupholder from a UK Subaru dealer and wonder why this didn't come std or at least offered at US dealers...you get the point. :-)

Stephen
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    But Stephen, if I may...
    your cosmetic mods are noticeably subtle.
    Not the "in-your-face you must notice it" look. :)

-Dave
    Yes, that's the way I prefer it. Basically, I liked the look of the stock WRX well enough not to want to change it into something completely different or wildly outrageous. The ever present Honda "Thing" (if you get my thinly veiled reference) is always on my mind and effectively keeps me in check. :-)

Stephen
  • gadflyiigadflyii Member Posts: 1
    Has there been any pictures, or spec release for what is new for MY03 yet? any web resources?

Cheers all

Gad
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    ASC installers require additional bracing to the roof during the install. One of the reasons why it doesn't take them a hour to do a sunroof installation.

It usually takes a few days to start and finish the job. I personally seen their work (from start to finish) when I went sunroof shopping in my old car.

So for ASC sunroofs, I wouldn't be as worried about the structure after the install.
    My ASC pop-up roof was done by an ASC approved shop, and it's great, 46k miles and 4 years later. No squeeks, leaks, or rattles.

The one on that WRX just belongs, it's sweet.

-juice
    epp1 - Try searching the i-club. There's a Dress-up & Style forum http://forums.i-club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=33 Prodrive has a nice shift knob.

gadflyii - Again, search the i-club. There's been about 3 posts per week asking about the '03's (news & rumors) http://forums.i-club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=63. One post is by a guy that works for a dealer. There will be very minor changes like lighted ring around the ignition, new grille, and some other minor things. There will also be a new yellow color, Sonic Yellow.

-Dennis
  • dop50dop50 Member Posts: 162
    From a conservative point of view, I would only do mods on my WRX if I were planning to keep it for a very long time. I figure I lost enough money when I drove it off the lot. Any MODS that anyone does to it, regardless of how it improves the functionality of the vehicle, will only be worth pennies on the dollar if anything, at trade-in. It's simply not cost effective. I bought my rex because I liked it, and still do. I expect the only thing I will ever change will be the oil and the tires when they wear out.

However, if that's your thing, go for it!

Enjoy your rex for what it is.

Ken
  • stoner420stoner420 Member Posts: 165
    BTW, whenever I've been driving around for a while, the car gives off a lot of heat. Is it just the turbo?

--Sonya4

Yup, that thing literally gets hot enough to fry an egg in there... I got so freaked out by the extreme heat and crackling noises and burning smell when I turned the car off a few days after driving home from the dealer, I took it back for them to check and make sure nothing was burning! Sheesh. Turns out it's just perfectly normal due to the high heat generated by the use of exhaust gases to drive the turbo (the smell was just the heat burning off the grease from the factory, and the crackling noise is normal too apparently, it says so in the manual! ;-) I find it pretty impressive that when I turn the car on several hours since using it, the temp gauge almost immediately starts out in the middle...

hys
    ...since you love the Altezzas so much I thought you could use these to up your "bling" factor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1838989661

-Sean

Bling Bling!

Just $33 of your hard-earned money for extra weight, cost, electrical complexity, and zero functionality!

If at least they were heated to prevent frozen lines.

-juice
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    I've seen pictures of the projected exterior style for the "refreshed" WRX and I must say it's kinda icky. Without the hood scoop and the grill modifications the car's front end does look like a Toyota, and the wheels are near-twins for the alloy wheels that adorn Honda Civics (it almost looks like the wheels were cut/pasted in Photoshop by somebody wanting to put on ugliest-possible wheels!)

DjB
This discussion has been closed.