Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Where? On-line or in print?

-juice
  • wheeldogwheeldog Member Posts: 39
    Just wondering if anyone with a stock WRX and an oil temperature gauge would tell me what temperature range they usually see. I have no reason to be concerned that mine is running hot, I'm just curious. In the last couple of days, the outdoor temperatures have reached the upper 80s (F). My oil temperature typically runs between 80 C and 90 C (or roughly 175 to 195 F). I've seen it reach 95 C just once, and in cooler weather it stays down between 70 C and 80 C.

Rob
  • rexaroorexaroo Member Posts: 174
    dop50-- By the time everyone gets done modifying, hot-rodding, and Altezzaing their WRXs, you and me are going to be about the only ones left with a factory original. And after the 2003s come out with the changed front end, we're going to be sitting on a couple of bona fide collector's items! ;-)
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    That makes four of us with sonya4 and myself.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks when there is/are posts that are obviously in violation of the TOU, please just let us handle it.

Responding encourages and quoting or linking to the garbage is even worse.

Please send me an email if you have questions. Thanks!!

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    pat_Host-
    I'm definitely on the downside of the learning curve....
    What's TOU? :-)

-Dave
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yeah right, just like the 4k XT6 over 3 years of production and the 15K SVXs over 5 years of production :)

Sorry it won't be a collectors item :(

-mike
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    While traveling around the Balto. beltway yesterday I saw a blue SVX that was absolutely beautiful! I've never seen that shade of blue before. Anybody know what shades of blue the SVX came in?

To keep this on topic, I was driving my WRX at the time :)
    - Hutch
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I've seen the blue, one of the rarest SVX colors, silver is probably the next rare SVX color.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    The revised front end pics are old and/or photoshopped (Camry-esque pic). There haven't been any legit pics yet.

I saw the new Forester in blue. Very nice!

-Dennis
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I wouldn't want to stick my neck out and predict whether the WRX will be a collector car, but I WILL stick my neck out and say that a car's production numbers aren't necessarily a reliable indicator of future collectibility.

1955-6-7 Chevrolets were mass produced in enormous numbers yet they now sell for prices far higher than many limited-run sports cars of the period. There's nothing I can think of that makes those Chevies stand out as being better cars than their contemporaries; no major mechanical differences other than the now-venerable smallblock V8 and styling that's arguably not the best of the era (Mopar products, Plymouths especially, were lauded for their "Suddenly It's 1960!" styling). So there must be some sort of collective nostalgia that, combined with their sheer numbers, that has made them the antique car icons they've become.

If I stay on this tack much longer I risk getting off the WRX topic. I'll leave it by offering the opinion that unless you have a very low production number WRX I wouldn't bother buying one to store in a time capsule, and maybe not even then. They're meant to be driven; if you're going to hold onto one for the long term just be as scrupulous about maintenance as you would with any other car.

Ed
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    TOU=Terms Of Use -- aka Membership Agreement (linked on left sidebar).
  • bimmer12bimmer12 Member Posts: 72
    Hey Guys:

I was going through your posts and I found them very informative regarding the WRX. I'm actually considering the WRX as a purchase in the next few months and wanted some feedback from the experts:

1) Are there going to be significant changes on the 2003 model?

2) What are the options that you consider "must haves"? I don't want to spend too much but I don't want to kick myself later either

3) 16" or 17" wheels? Are the $3000 optional wheels the 17" the BBS wheels?

4) What do you think a good deal or more importantly, an attainable price is on an '02 WRX manual?

5) Anything else I should know?

Thanks in Advance!
    OK, have to admit I was only kidding about that one :)
    But with all the tempting performance mods out there, finding one in excellent original condition 10 years from now might really take some doing. It's good to know there are some of you out there that feel the same way I do and love the Rex just the way it is, straight out of the box.

The '55-'56 Chevies never seemed that special but the'57 Chevy was one cool car as I recall with its neat tail-fins and turbo-glide transmission. My buddy in high school had one and it was great for cruisin' the boulevard. I think the SVX has good collector potential, especially because of its exotic window layout. We have quite a few here in Denver and their owners really pamper them. For $8-$10 grand, I think it would make a great investment as a second or third car. Seem to be a lot fewer XT's around period, let alone XT6's, and very rarely do you ever see one in top condition--IMO, definitely a sleeper collectible if you own one.
  • dettlingdettling Member Posts: 6
    First of all you won't be kicking yourself after buying a WRX. Although, you may be upset at yourself for delaying such a purchase.

I had a great dealership experience, because those were true car guys. I paid $24,500 with lots of extras. The car had 8 miles on it, so it wasnt one of the demos that get run hard.

I must say that the extended arm rest is a critical investment. I found the factory arm rest impossible to live with. I have the upgraded sound system, but I dont know what the standard one sounds like. I do like my turbo gauge. Its really just a dang expensive vaccuum gauge, but I like it none the less. I have the 16" wheels and they are fine but the factory tires leave a lot to be desired.

I may go for some 17"s once these tires are gone. Just don't go put some stupid tail lights or some other crap like that on your car. Leave that to the civic racers.

My advise is to goto a dealer that has a lot of cars in stock and look at them all. Most importantly drive one. Once you put the WRX into second gear...it will all be over accept the payments.
  • fxsfxs Member Posts: 50
    I paid $1200 over invoice for my 5spd loaded WRX sedan back in October 2001. I'm sure you can get this down to $500 over invoice or less if you shop around easily today. Checkout the Van Bortel Subaru website:

http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com/impp4.html

Have your local dealer match their prices or if you live near Rochester, NY, hop on a plane and drive your WRX back home. By the time you get there the 1000 mile break in period might be history.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Recommend the upgraded stereo, unless you plan to put in an aftermarket system. Sound is a little muddy, but with the upgrade, volume and base are fine. Also, aftermarket options of a 6 disk cd changer and casset can get costly.

If getting a manual, I personally liked the short-throw shifter. Makes the overall feeling of the car that much sportier.

Finally, Rear - Differential cover. Might turn out to be worthless in the long run, but like the idea of some sort of protection for that unit just in case at around $100.

Price wise, you should be able to get a good deal (like what fxs said). There are plenty of these vehicles around, even if they are hot. Check internet buying helps like: www.autobytel.com, cars.com, and autoadvantage.com.
    If you happen to live in the Midwest, Roper Subaru in Joplin, Mo. gives the same great prices and friendly service as Van Bortel, and will ship free of charge up to 300 miles. The only options we got on ours was the upgraded stereo and the security system. I find the factory 5-spd. is fine just the way it is--has a nicely weighted mechanical feel to it, IMO, although not as slick as a Beemer or Miata. If you go to a short-throw, the effort required for each shift is a little higher--some guys feel it is worth the trade-off.

There have been rumors about a possible front-end change for mid-2003--nothing definite though. Personally, I feel anything they do to change the car is only for the worse--I love that highly detailed "double-stacked" front end and think it looks stunning from several different angles. OK, there--I've gone and said it--call out the guys in the white coats if you want--I'm crazy about the styling on both the sedan and wagon (and I bet Picasso would have loved them too :)
    I have the short throw shifter too. I didn't drive one with the standard, so I have nothing to compare it to. But, I am very satisfied with the throw and the effort required. The shifting could be smoother, as others have pointed out before.

p.s. Im breaking 1000 miles today! Cant wait to drive her hard a couple times.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I have to disagree with Kevin111 with the upgraded stereo. You could spend the $500 option on better aftermarket speakers, or a good amp.

It could be the acoustics and the sound insulation in the WRX -- the same system sounds much better in the Legacy GT limited.

Bring a couple CD's and listen to the difference in the standard versus the premium upgrade. That should help you decide
    Put a Pioneer system into my old car last year, and the clarity of that system (ended up being $250 installed) was superior to the upgraded system in the Subaru. The only problem is that system was just a single cd player.

Was not a huge difference between the short throw and the long throw shifters. The long throw is a little smoother in 1st and 2nd gears, but the short throw allows for quicker shifts. Just a matter of prefence.
    and it's also feel.

I have an utter distaste for the stock shifter.

The STI shifter feels like what a solid-linkage shifter should feel.
  • midnightblackmidnightblack Member Posts: 11
    Do you guys know of any good cargo trays that would fit in the trunk of my WRX sedan? Subaru.com shows both a tray and a bin option for the wagon, but these are not available for the sedan, I guess because the sedan's trunk is smaller.

I was thinking of maybe using one that is made for another car like the civic, corolla, etc but I'm not sure which one would fit. Any suggestions?
    I had a good WRX buying experience and NOW an even greater driving experience. Bought my silver 5sp sdn last Apr and been having a blast since. Check my 1st post. I read about the car since it first came out (about a year) and also monitored this town hall. Didn't want to get close to any dealer, I knew I'd be driving away with one if I did. So I monitored local dealer pricing on the web for comparable models and found out that they were all the same unlike others where there is night and day differences. Finally zeroed in on color and options package I wanted and went to the dealer with the VIN#. I got mine (everything on except tire/wheel option) for $200 over invoice. That's after checking edmunds, kelley, etc. for invoice prices.

The car's a blast, and biggest bang for the buck...my opinion. Got all the options I wanted coz didn't want to spend too much time tinkering with it or too many hands on it. Definitely wanted to enjoy driving it out of the box, not a project. Good luck!
    I was wondering and would be interested in one myself. So the one for the wagon is too big? I also checked out the cargo net scenario and looked for a place to anchor them in the trunk. Sure would be nice for small stuff not rattling in the trunk. I found two fastener holes opposite each other where you can possibly hang the net. You'll just need to screw in eyelets in place of the fasteners. I think that might work. I think I'll try it with my Corolla cargo net and see.
  • stoner420stoner420 Member Posts: 165
    I can clearly remember my first time seeing a picture of the rex on edmunds and thinking "wow what a freaky looking car" (this after reading on the vw boards people discussing whether they should have bought a wrx instead of a jetta, which is what I was looking into at the time)... weird bug-eyed headlights and a dull looking tail... now I think it's the damn best looking car, I love the headlights and the hood scoop, I love looking out over the scoop in the hood and the thought of those slowpokes in front of me in the left lane on I-95 seeing this bug-eyed monster coming up at them far faster than their 55 (in the left lane! it's intolerable!!!) is just awesome.. I dunno, I kinda think the bugeyes makes it look "intense" or something (like on a major caffeine buzz, but in a good way ;-), maybe that's just me...

ps, is it just me, or has everyone else on the road seem to have gotten even SLOWER since I got this car? @#$@#$!@!
    in fact, the only bad thing about owning a WRX is that there are all these other drivers out there on the roads! :)

I agree the view out over the hood is one of the Rex's best features. Like sitting in the cockpit of some exotic LeMans racer--puts a smile on my face every time i get in.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    if you think looking out over the stock one is awesome. :-)

Stephen
    Seems everyone has a differing opinion on this topic. A couple issues ago in Automobile magazine, they mentioned one of the editors didn't like the shifter on their WRX long-term car, but when David E. Davis, Jr. drove the same car, he thought it "shifted beautifully." Different strokes for different folks. I think the stock shifter is fine for everyday driving--somewhat long throws, but smooth, snug, and fairly effortless. But it's easy to understand why some of you guys like the short-shifter--faster shift action and better track times. Maybe a little less insulated shift feel.
    Personally, I like the longer throws of the stock shifter--feels more natural and relaxed somehow--and it's really a short-throw compared to some 'boxes I've tried (try driving an early '70s Porsche 911 sometime!)
    The '03's will have very minor changes.
    - A lighted ring around the ignition
    - Different grille, but same front end
    - An alarm change

That's about it, unless Subaru decides to surpise us with something else.

-Dennis
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I think Subaru had commissioned Prodrive to design a new front-end for the Impreza. But why Pro-drive ??? Don't they have any in-house designers??

Later...AH
    Prodrive and Peter Stevens have developed a few of the UK limited edition Scoobys. I guess the majority of the public doesn't like the in-house designed front end on the current model.

-Dennis
    Purhaps I shouldn't say this, but I think these guys are the coolest car dealers in the South. I just got off the phone with the owner to schedule my first oil change. The dealership is 50 miles away and I just don't think that I will be able to have the oil changed there on a regular basis. Also, I told him that I don't trust the locals to do a good job. I'vd had trouble recently on my previous car with local oil changes. He asked if I would like to change the oil with the tech tomarrow to see where everything is so I can change it myself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is a cool attitude! Most don't want you to step foot in the garage, must less participate in a maintenance activity. I can't wait.
  • stedswrxstedswrx Member Posts: 3
    I've read alot about Mobil 1 and K&N air filters. Anyone try AMSOIL filters (oil/air)? What about their oil? Thanks for sharing experiences. I drive 120 RT miles 5 days a week, so I want to get the best protection for my WRX!
    There was some discussion on Amsoil foam filters. Run a search on that.

THe oil filter, are made by Hastings...of course, according to amsoil, the best protection is the dual filter bypass system.

Can't talk much since I don't have much experience
  • sonya4sonya4 Member Posts: 92
    Question: If any of you have tried both the stock shifter and the short-throw, is there a difference in height/reach?

I'm asking because I'm a short person (or petite, as some may call it--5'3") and I have a fairly comfortable reach right now to the stock shifter on my Rex. I don't want to get any closer to the steering wheel (I'm about a foot away, which is slightly more than the recommended minimum position--10 inches--from a steering wheel with airbags) and I'm wondering if I change to a short-throw, will that be at the same height as the stock when mounted...that is, within comfortable reach.

--sonya4
    I tried both shifters at the dealer but that was when I test drove to compare the two. I didn't feel much difference in performance then. I really didn't have a reference point either because I was also trying to get a feel for the car. So my "feel" for the difference might not be very accurate. Physically I was more comfortable with the stock because it had the big padded knob whereas the short-throw has that tiny STi titanium shift knob. The grip felt awkward but then again I wasn't used to the car yet either. The travel is supposed to be shorter. I think as far as reach and stick height from a driving position should be the same.

I didn't care for the knob but it was part of the Turbo gauge/shifter package. I'm okay with it now, 2.4k miles later....Love that 2nd and 3rd gear....Warp drive Mr. Zulu...
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I use an Amsoil foam filter on my 98 Forester and like it very much. I can't say it improves performance, but it does increase the intake noise at WOT to a nice growl.

I picked Amsoil over K&N because I read some anecdotal reports that foam filters better than paper. Also, Amsoil filters are quite tough and can stand up to repeated washing and re-oiling.

Ken
    The dealer ended up replacing the shifter to the short-throw, since he could not find a car with my exact specifications.
    The shifter still maintained the original knob, even though it was transfered to the short-throw.
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    My wife is 5"1 and has her own car, a lexus is300 sportcross. However, she uses my car quite a bit and doesn't really notice any difference or discomfort with the short throw shifter compared to the stock shifter. She is able to compar because we got the short throw after owning the car for 3 months.
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    The LL Bean wagon was a great ride. Gutsy when needed, smooth when cruising. I loved the interior and the luxuries - but - when I got back into a 5 spd. WRX, I really had fun! I have to take it easy for a bit (or the next owner would suffer as a result), so I'm trying to behave...

I haven't tried the short shifter in any of the vehicles, so I can't compare. I'll have to see if I can get one to check it out.

Happy driving!

Patti
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I had a LL Bean as a loaner when my WRX was in for its 15k svc. The LL Bean (and I'm sure the VDC) is a nice ride! I loved the torque and luxuries. It even had (albeit somewhat muffled) gutsy sound when you tromped on the gas. I even thought that had I never driven the WRX and owned the LL Bean or VDC before I bought my first Soob (an 00'OB Ltd wagon/auto), I might have never traded in for a WRX. Alas, I got back into my 5spd WRX (w/its various mod accoutrements) and realized this was the car that's meant for me. :-)

Stephen
  • mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    My wife has the VDC wagon; I have the 5spd WRX wagon. That way you can enjoy their personalities depending on your mood. The VDC is smooth, quiet, refined, with just a little attitude when pushed. The WRX is all attitude. I must admit I pick the WRX most of the time, except for long trips. The VDC is a great cruiser.

Mike
    If you like a nice, very crisp feel, the STI shifter delivers.

Is it totally true that using STI parts purchased and installed by a Subaru dealership will immediately void the existing vehicle warranty?

I can't see it for every instance, but I can forecast it for say clutch and synchros (short shifter) if you "power-shift" (you can do that with the OE shifter also)....
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    I wondered this myself. But, most STi parts, like the muffler and suspension, come with a warranty warning on the website, last time I checked. The shifter didn't have that warning, again, last time I checked.
    I have the Amsoil air filter as well. Love the enhanced growl it gives the boxer. A popular WRX filter in the UK is the ITG. Looks like an Amsoil, but not washable like the Amsoil.

-Dennis
    Rob, I believe you're right. I'm looking at an 02 WRX accessories brochure and that legal speak isn't included for the short-shifter. I believe it's also available as a port-installed option so I doubt they would put on a PIO that would void the warranty.

Poor Patti. You had to cruise around in an H6 LL Bean. :-D

-Dennis
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    The short shifter does not impact the warranty. The other performance parts are sold without a warranty, but they do not void the warranty!

Thanks for all of that "sympathy" Dennis. I know - it's tough to be me ;~}

Patti
    that's what I thought.

But quick clarification (it's gonna happen sooner or later)....

let's say the STi muffler, for some reason caused a malfunction and the CEL light went on.

Will the STi muffler warrant a warranty repair or not?
  • mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    If the dealer is going to be hardnosed about it, they could require the original factory exhaust to be restored before doing diagnostic work for a CEL, but some might do this as a goodwill gesture, especially the ones who installed the performance exhaust like they aren't supposed to. ;)
    Here is the exact wording for the STi Performance Muffler disclaimer from Subaru's USA website:
    Sold "as is" without any warranty coverage. Intended for off-highway application only. May bring vehicle out of compliance with safety and/or emissions standards. Can only be lawfully installed by end user. See Subaru dealer for complete details.
    Obviously, if the dealers can't even install, it would be a long uphill battle "forcing" them to diagnose problems that may be related, especially since their diagnostic capabilities are intended for factory-stock specs that must comply with emissions requirements.
    As Patti mentioned, the STi performance muffler shouldn't prevent warranty repairs for non-related parts.
This discussion has been closed.