Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have a wind tunnel right in my office...it's called the CEO.. :) Just kidding
  • robmarchrobmarch Member Posts: 482
    check out my thread in the STi information forum titled "Big Wing, SOA please read" if you're interested much of the debate. There's enough sense in all sides of the various arguments to keep all of the viewpoints alive.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Yeah, but there's like a bajillion posts in that thread. :-)

Did you forward the link to SoA? I'm sure they'll see it anyway.

-Dennis
    there were a lot of rumors that they were checking that forum for reaction to the STi announcement, so I figured I didn't need to send it to them. Since it degraded into a discussion about how stupid I was for wanting to remove the wing, I think it's not very valuable to them, now.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Seems to have a low signal to noise ratio. I agree with the original point however, that some people might not like the looks of the wing.

I did a rough estimate, and the wing probably produces about 65# of downforce at 80mph, 102# at 100mph, and 228# at 150mph. These are all optimistic numbers, assuming the wing has a lift coefficient (CL) of 0.8 and is in clean flow at each speed. I eyeballed the wing to have about 5 sq. ft. of planform area. You can scale my downforce numbers directly with area and CL, if different input parameters are desired.

Whether or not these downforce numbers make a difference or the wing is really required is a question best left to the engineers at Subaru, pending further information.

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Tell you what, if you don't want the wing, I'll sell it for you, swap it out, but the $500 is mine. Deal?

I don't get the big deal, my biggest concern would be a demand for it so immense that it would get stolen.

-juice
    Rob, SoA cares about what customers think.
    Sometimes they're very slow to make changes, but they do listen.

The WRX and STi are perfect examples. Also, some of the options on the 04 WRX (moonroof, all weather package) are the result of people making their voice heard IMHO.

-Dennis
    We lobbied Subaru hard to changes to the 2003 Forester. They gave us 8 of the things on our list. Not bad.

-juice
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I would have loved it if they had worked on improving underbody aerodynamics (a la Ferrari Enzo) thus obviating the need for a wing, than slapping on extra-large and flashy wings on the rear of a 30K+ car.

Later...AH
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Underbody spoilers might not last too long when driven on fire roads. Remember, it's still a rally car at heart.
    it's usually a tunnel set up into the bottom of the car body (open along the bottom) that gets progressively bigger as you go rearward and opens into the back of the car.

Craig
    also is found on the Evo, SRT4, Mazdaspeed, etc. It's a calling card of the genre, for a tuned example, usually.

and, having someone steal it, without removing it in a nice way, is just one of the concerns that I have. I'm leaning regular WRX right now, but if I get the STi, I may buy an additional trunk and just replace it.

In truth, it looks much better to me in person than in pictures, but I still don't need the extra attention.
  • mikusmikus Member Posts: 109
    image Ok, guys, I was mistaken a little bit: 0.39 is for Evo VII and 0.38 is for STi, both with rear wing. So, I do not know the difference between stock Impreza and STi. But I hope that Subaru put it not just because it looks cool, but because it works.

Considering lift force, I can give you the link to the numbers which are pretty reliable. No downforce, by the way, it is still a lift force, but it is not very high.

You do not need to read these funny characters, just check out the pictures. Top is Evo VII with wing set to minimum angle of attack (Cd==0.39), in the middle is Evo VII with wing set to maximum angle of attack (Cd=0.40), and on the bottom is STi which has non-adjustable wing (Cd=0.38). Forces in Newtons. Test speed is 144 km per hour.

Also, the data is for 2002 STi, which has slightly smaller wing, then current model.

Skyline has underbody panels, which almost fully cover front and rear parts of underbody.

This picture shows the air flow near the wing: Air flow

To moderator: I had to post the picture, because I had to change its size, the original is too big and looks bad. It was taken from russian car magazine "Auto Review".
    Michael, thanks for posting the info -- that is really cool. It illustrates exactly how the rear wing works (at least in the case of the Evo, where we have two configurations to compare).

So the Evo wing, set at the max AOA, is worth another 146N of downforce at 144 km/h (~90 mph) compared to the min AOA setting. What's neat is that you can see how it translates into lift on the front wheels. Imagine if this was a FWD car -- you'd be unloading the fronts (=drive traction) just to keep the rears planted, which seems unproductive to me.

I'd be real curious to see numbers without any spoiler, just so we can conclude how beneficial the spoiler is, period. And since these appear to be aero loads only, it would be neat to factor in the weight of the car. I guess if we knew the curb weight and the F/R weight distribution, we could figure that out.

Craig
  • nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    Has anybody upgraded their power with vishnu or prodrive? I was all set to get the vishnu stage subzero, but I see that Prodrive is coming out with a "power pack" stage 1, 2 and 3. The stage 2 gives you an ecu reflash, rear muffler and center cat for $1200. I have heard that prodrive may be a bit more dependable than vishnu products. Any thoughts?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    there is a prolonged discussion of adding FI to a car. The question is about reliability .... note, this is not about stock systems.

I thought this may be a good place to ask -- do any of you feel that superchargers / turbochargers ... installed by someone who knows the car and the system ... results in significantly higher maintenance? Compromises reliability?

Thanks for all opinions.
    JW
    Shiv P. of Vishnu has made quite a name for himself safely tuning Imprezas over the past few years.

Prodrive's experience with Subaru's goes back to when Subaru used a Legacy in the WRC. :-)

It's too bad that Prodrive's PP won't be factory backed like it is in the UK. :-(

-Dennis
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I am considering selling my 16"s to my coworker over the summer (when the tires are projected to be worn) to buy 17" wheels. The problem is that he has a '96 Camry V6 with 120" spacing (what he told me). Could the 16" WRX wheels be reliably installed on his car?

I was under the impression that the WRX had 100" spacing for the holes. Because of this I am assuming the two cars are incompatible, but am hoping they are compatible.
    If one car has 100 and the other 120, you just answered your own question right there. :)
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    on a Camry. Offset is too low and bolt pattern spacing is different as you say.
    It's actually 100mm spacing for the WRX, 120mm for the Camry. 100" is about 8 feet! :-)

Also, note that it's described as "5x100" because there are 5 lugs. Some wheels have only 4.

Best place to sell is NASIOC because for the most part it's only going to be the correct offset for other Subies.

-juice
    Actually, the offset should be able to fit a Camry. The hole size and bolt spacing is the issue, 19mm for the WRX vs. 21mm for the Camry. According to a website I looked up, the Camry v6 has an offset of +45, of course the have the WRX as +55. I found out the spacing for the Camry is actually 114.5mm, which is still too big. Oh well.

I will look in to NASIOC for selling the wheels when I am ready.
    - Thanks Juice.
    A set usually sells for anywhere from $250 to $400, depending on their condition and whether or not they come with tires. You shouldn't have much trouble selling them.

-juice
    I may contact this board again about the best places to sell them when I am ready. Thank you again for the input on this.

I knew I loved this board!!
  • joe70vwjoe70vw Member Posts: 8
    I'm convinced myself to buy a WRX (after test driving a one). Does anyone know if there will be any significant changes to the 2004 WRX that are worth waiting for? Body changes? Motor? Interior?
  • wrxsoon1wrxsoon1 Member Posts: 158
    joe70vw,
    Yes, quite a few changes. Here's a link to the press release from SOA (pics included).

http://impreza.subaru.com/microsites/impreza/news/news_main.jsp

-Ian
  • uncaballerouncaballero Member Posts: 6
    I have 1700 miles on my WRX and now I have started to noticed some quality issues on this car. First I have a small vibrating noise coming from underneath the car when you rev it up a little,next after leaving the car parked for a day I noticed that the wheels will make some noise for the first mile(My WRX is wearing P1's)sounds like either the brakes or bearings are rubbing. Getting the car into reverse takes a couple of try's and after shifting from 3rd to 4th I can hear the valves pinging as I give it gas(sounds like a tired 4 banger going up a steep hill sound). I have also noticed that the windows seem to have missed something in the manuf. process as the windows fog up real quick and the mirrors attract dirt making hard to see(I waxed them and it seem to help some) I have always expected a certain degree of quality coming from the Japanese Manuf. and this is a little disappointing I have bought plenty of new cars and never had this kind of quality issue in the first 2000 or 30000 miles on my vehicles, oh and when I take it in to be checked they never hear a thing. Now when I get passed the quality issue's with my WRX " it's hella fun to drive!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The STi/WRX is not built as a sports car, it's a rally car, and thus has a ton of ground clearance (at least a ton as far as sports cars go) The wing is for appearance only and for "rally racing" where high speeds are maintained.

Dropping the car down 1-3" would be a better way to make the car more aero/less lift than the wing in the rear IMHO.

-mike
    are you using 87 octane? you shouldn't hear detonation with higher octane gas.

and, try putting the car in first before going to reverse.

I've never heard of windows fogging up because they missed a step in the manufacturing process. Are you talking about interior or exterior fogging?
    Also, what size tires are you running? 215's or 225's? Any suspension mods?

The vibrating could be a loose exhaust shield, or maybe a pebble is wedged in there.

You should definitely NOT be getting pinging. Possibly you have the wrong octane or you just got a tank of bad gas.

Make sure your air lever is on fresh air (from outside) instead of recirculate.

-Dennis
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    If you haven't already, check all your fluid levels. We've all heard horror stories about people taking delivery of new vehicles that are 3/4 quart low on oil.

Often when wheels make noise it's because the brake discs gather a little bit of rust overnight. Some cars are very susceptible to this, some almost never get it.

Reverse gear engagement is an issue for lots of cars, probably not for any luxury cars or Hondas. I've driven lots of MT cars short distances (lots of road-tests while working for my father's shop) and most of them, new or old, had a unique feel/action when going into reverse that I had to be careful of. Shortly after my brother-in-law took delivery of an SLK he asked me if he should be worried that reverse is sometimes tough to engage (I told him to mention it at next service and, if the mechanics didn't find anything wrong, not to worry about it. If the M-B guys are okay with it, I am too)

Window glass: the best thing to do for these is clean them within an inch of their life. Any kind of residue on them will make them very susceptible to fogging and streaking. When I'm cleaning my windows I always start with a mild ammonia solution (wearing gloves and using a garbage bag to protect all fabric/etc) to cut through that buildup, then dry with clean cloth, then clean with spray cleaner. When they're really clean they will stay clear much longer and morning fog/dew will clear out much faster. I live in NJ and my windows build up road haze etc so fast that after just a month or so they look streaky even with full defrost blowing. Cleaning them in my regular fashion eliminates that completely, until the stuff builds up again.

DjB
    I'll take some guesses:

* the vibrating is probably a loose heat shield. If you have ramps try to see if you can find the source.

* the brakes might have surface rust, no biggie. The bearings on the new Imprezas are supposed to be more robust than before, so I doubt that.

* try engaging first gear, then reverse. They're next to each other on the gear box so it'll be easier.

* the windows may be fogging up due to outgassing. Seems odd given the miles, but it should stay clean after a few cleanings

Hope this is helpful.

-juice
    good point, Juice. this is pretty common in new cars.
  • sensei1sensei1 Member Posts: 196
    Given your mileage, the shifting IMO is all part of the break-in for both you and the car (getting acquainted). I have the short-throw option and experienced the same. Just don't grind the gears. 14k later, shifting's just fine.

Aside from what's already posted, what's your shift points? Could be shifting too soon?

As bluesubie mentioned, keep your air lever in "outside" not "recirc" even when defrosting.

Yes the car's still a blast! Good luck.
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    Does anyone have a picture of the standard wheels? All of the pics I've seen are the BBS or have the wheels in motion.
    I believe they are the same wheels as the RS and OBS have, according to Edmunds anyway.
    Yes. I am really, really sure that's what the WRXs come with standard. Read the 2.5RS review in Edmunds, I think it says something about that in there.
    "First I have a small vibrating noise coming from underneath the car when you rev it up a little"

If it's a loose heat shield, the sound may change depending on whether the exhaust is cold or warm. Can you pin this down in more detail?

"next after leaving the car parked for a day I noticed that the wheels will make some noise for the first mile(My WRX is wearing P1's)sounds like either the brakes or bearings are rubbing"

If it's a quiet rubbing, I am guessing your rotors got a film of rust on them, which is very common (especially if it rains, is humid, or if you park the car for an extended period of time). Since the brake pads are always in contact with the discs, you will hear a rubbing sound. Should go away after you hit the brakes a few times. In fact, you should be able to isolate whether or not the noise is coming from the brakes by applying the brakes and seeing if/how the noise changes.

"Getting the car into reverse takes a couple of try's"

My WRX is the same way, as was my Prelude and my Civic before that. Most cars do not have a synchro on reverse, so it can be harder to get into (even though you're not moving). What always works for me is to put the shifter back in neutral, let out the clutch, and try again.

"and after shifting from 3rd to 4th I can hear the valves pinging as I give it gas(sounds like a tired 4 banger going up a steep hill sound)."

This is definitely not good. Are you using 92+ octane gas?

"I have also noticed that the windows seem to have missed something in the manuf. process as the windows fog up real quick"

Very typical for a new car, the plastics outgas and really cloud up the windows, in turn making them very susceptible to fogging. This reaches a maximum some time after the car is new, and then goes away over a period of years. Some cars are worse than others.

Craig
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    I've heard a rumour that the pre-cat on all 2004 WRX's will be removed. Anyone else heard that?
  • wannawrxwannawrx Member Posts: 22
    Finally did it. Got my white, wagon w/ sound upgrade, armrest, cargo net, and crossbar all for $800 under invoice and the 3.9 financing. Its been a while since I bought my 95 Integra and finally a Manual. By By Auto. You all have been a great help over the 1.5 years of reading.

Mark
    Cool, man! Enjoy the ride -- it's an awesome car.

Craig
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Congrats. I've got a blue2002 wagon myself, not quite the stealth bomber your white one will be. Find some winding roads and enjoy! Mine has been running around in snow all month. We have had generally small snowfalls, 4" or less but we've had them weekly. Really cool, because it's as good in the snow as my '98 Forester was!

TWRX
  • joe70vwjoe70vw Member Posts: 8
    WRX Enthusiats - I just read the article about all the interior and exterior changes in the WRX for 2004. Does any one know a website with Pics of the new 2004??? I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the 2004 model or to go ahead and get a 2003 model ASAP.
  • redkey1redkey1 Member Posts: 270
    www.impreza.subaru.com
    I heard that rumor also. sounds like they will make up for the emissions consequences after the turbo. could help turbo spool at low rpm, which could be an advantage of the 04 vs 03. I guess we have to wait and see if it makes a difference or not.
    Congrats on your car!! :-)

You must have heard about the cat changes on nasioc. :-)

-Dennis
This discussion has been closed.